International Simulation Football League
Media Grader Hiring Battle! - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Media Grader Hiring Battle! (/showthread.php?tid=19646)

Pages: 1 2

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - JKortesi81 - 03-01-2020

Okay, so i've gotten way more than enough solid apps for media graders and there's just no way for me to decide who to pick. As a result, we're going to have a contest. The applicants listed below are to write me a 600 word story on their player. (NOTE: POST IT IN THIS THREAD) It can be about anything about the player, i don't mind. Everyone tagged below has until 11:59pm, EST, on 3/2/20 (yes, it gives you about one day to do this) to write their little story.

After that, all of you will vote on your top 3 stories, and you can't vote for yourself. The TWO people with the highest number of votes will be hired on as media graders.

Those that do NOT get the job will get their paragraphs graded as media, and will get a nice bonus for a consolation prize.

Thank you to everyone that's applied so far, no more submissions will be accepted.

Now your finalists:

@Vorshayla
@MasterCashier
@AlexF
@Troen
@revuhlution
@Billybolo53
@thevoicelesscreator
@Tesla
@Memento Mori
@Alexander Hamilton II
@Thiath
@Sermokala

Good luck guys and gals!

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - retrospace111 - 03-01-2020

nice i vote for @revuhlution
and i don't even know what he's writing that's how you know im unbiased

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - JKortesi81 - 03-01-2020

(03-01-2020, 10:05 PM)retrospace111 Wrote:nice i vote for @revuhlution
and i don't even know what he's writing that's how you know im unbiased

You don't get to vote in my Battle Dome here. They must choose their own King.

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - Billybolo53 - 03-02-2020

I'm withdrawing at this time. Thanks for the consideration. I want to focus on getting better.

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - Vorshayla - 03-02-2020

You want PickSix to write about why he'd be a good media grader? Please. Who you got applying? nothing but minor leagues and has-beens or never was. You need PickSix. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

The only reason you wouldn't give PickSix the job is because you hate me. It's okay, most people do, they want to keep me down and make sure I can't earn to get better with buying PEDs. Just remember, a champion like PickSix will always find a way to get his hands on the drugs that make him better.

PickSix has more time to any of these other scrubs applying, I'll be on the bench grading while my boy Leon McDavid is running the ball down your throat. Then I'll come out for like 2 plays max, pick the ball off, give it back to the offense, go back to the bench and continue grading.

If you want things done right and fast? You hire PickSix. But let me remind you now, PickSix ain't working for no 4m salary. PickSix isn't a 4m grader, PickSix can't feed his family with 4m a season. That kind of chump change might be good for someone like Dax Frost, but it barely pays for PickSix's whip.

Here's what you don't want to happen, you don't want to pass on PickSix like OCO and Philly. They're gonna regret that choice for years to come, especially when I make it to the hall of fame. Ask Portland how much they regret not treating me better before I went to Myrtle Beach. Ask Myrtle Beach how big of an impact PickSix was to their run to the finals this last year. PickSix is a winner, you pass on PickSix and you're gonna have angry people asking you when this is gonna be graded and why things haven't been graded yet. You hire PickSix and things will be graded even before they're written. That's the power of PickSix.

It's okay if you don't hire PickSix tho, PickSix understands, you're scared that one day you'll be without a job when PickSix does it better than you. It's normal, it's misplaced, but it's normal to feel that way. Quarterbacks and Wide Outs have been scared of PickSix since he declared for the DSFL draft a year ago. Fear is a powerful motivator, you can either stand with PIckSix, or you can stand against him. PickSix never forgets any slight against him. HO and the awards committee will find this out sooner rather than later as well.

While writing this stupid article for chump change, PickSix came to a realization. PickSix doesn't need this job, this job needs PickSix. PickSix don't even care anymore if you hire him or not. Look at the amount of responses you got, NONE. Only PickSix dared to waste his time to satisfy your own ego. Like I stated early on in my article. Nothing but minor leaguers, can't even be bothered to do your little assignment. That's why you need PickSix.

PickSix been running his mouth ever since he came into the league, many people have tried to shut him up, where they at now? Murphy? Retired. Frost? Position changed because he knew he couldn't compete. Kacey Dream? Kacey Dream ain't no one, he made a mistake taking Vegeta as his protege and not PickSix and I will expose him for it this year against OCO as well. Prince Vegeta is someone, PickSix considers him a friend, but everyone else can't hold PickSix's pads, let alone his plaque to the hall of fame.

You just need to tell yourself one thing and say 4 simple words and it'll all make sense.

HeHateme Picksix, you're hired.

620 words

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - Troen - 03-02-2020

As a soon-to-be DSFL rookie, I've been keeping an eye out for anything I could find about how it and the NSFL operate as well as for ways to get better. In a class with as many players declaring their interest in joining the DSFL as this one, I know that I want to work to the maximum of my abilities to get better - not just as a player on the field, but as an asset to the league. So, I think that working as a media liaison who helps review the league's coverage is a great way to do that which also takes advantage of my degree in economics.

If you haven't had to read economics research papers before then you're lucky as they are very dry. However, they do undergo rigorous review by others in the field prior to being accepted as correct. Studying in the field has given me a wealth of experience in evaluating claims and logic which is a skill I believe will translate well into the media liaison role. I've tried to apply some of these analytical tools in looking over league stats and trends to share my approaches with the other new players.

One of the most papers I encountered while looking for areas of research was a very interesting study from the 2028 Larry Hadley Service Award winner Anthony Krautmann examining the impact of the NSFL salary cap by comparing dynasties in the NSFL vs. in college. College doesn't have salaries or a cap beyond scholarships but it does have a maximum 4 year eligibility for players as compared to the strict salary cap of the NSFL. His study and in particular its consideration of injuries at the college level was one of the seminal pieces in finally getting colleges to adopt the injury-prevention nanites first introduced by the NSFL when it was founded in 2016. While this was only done midway through the 2035 college season it resulted in a drastic reduction in injury rate, though not yet quite to the 0% seen in the NSFL and DSFL. Given the value both economic and statistical that one star player provides to a team, I agree with Krautmann's recommendation for moving forward. That might be odd given that I've personally had my most successful season in college after hand injuries, but I can only consider myself a lucky outlier having seen studies on the performance of other college athletes before and after injuries. And consider an alternative NSFL which did have injuries. Would would we look at this year's champion Copperheads if Cole had been out for even as little as 2 weeks. Could they have made the playoffs? Or if it was injured and missed the Ultimus Bowl itself would we then missed the Copperheads' victory?

Seeing how college football will change shows the power that research and writing can have on all of us. I believe that my background will help the NSFL media achieve faster and broader distribution. I additionally predict an uptick in overall amount of media covering the league in conjunction with the high interest from college players - an interest I believe strongly related to college players seeing the benefit of improved injury protection. Once we've gathered a few more years of data for college injury rates and NSFL recruitment from college, I plan to write some papers to submit to the American Society of Health Economists. Working with the NSFL's media corps will be a great asset in working to improve my presentation of this field of research and to ultimately work to ensure the best working conditions for all DSFL and NSFL players. In the best case, I hope that we can improve medical technology to the point of extending the longevity of players. And don't get me wrong, there are concerns with doing that. But imagine a world where we had the technology to extend Gimmy's career by another year. Isn't that potential worth increasing the league's annual budget for medical research? Despite my position in the prospect bowl on a team in the Anti-Gimmy Football Conference, I want his career to be extended as much as anyone.

My experience in research evaluation will be a strong asset to the media team. I hope that you see it but if not - do it for Gimmy.

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - Thiath - 03-02-2020

“Hello and good afternoon, I’m Richie Calhoun and you’re listening to sports talk radio on 109.1! With me today I have a very special guest, local superstar and future NSFL prospect, Eric Barlow!”

“Good to be here Rich!”

“Pleasure having you here as always, do you think you could tell me how your life has changed in the last few months after declaring for the draft?”

“It’s been wild, I mean, I feel like my name is all over the place now. I hear people talking about me all the time, it’s a lot to get used to.”

“Do you think having all this attention on you adds heightened expectations?”

“I don’t think any amount of attention will ever be able to put higher expectations on myself than I do, every day I’m trying to be better.”

“What are some things you do that you think make you better?”

“Well, I think the most important thing is how much I study the game. Any free time I have I’m watching tape, I’m trying to find something to challenge me, if it’s a play design or a specific player, I wanna know who or what it is and get in front of it, I need to know what’s coming even before the opponent does.”

“Wouldn’t spending all this time on film allow them to get in your head?”

“I don’t think so, It’s pretty easy for me to block people out, and if I see them as a challenge before they do, I can adapt, I can improvise, they can’t.”

“What are some things you could see challenging you at the professional level?”

“Well, I’m not the fastest player, I’m well aware of that, but I’ve found ways around that, and I think the position I play is more forgiving to players like me.”

“Coming into your first year, you’ll be drafted into the DSFL, do you have any feelings towards that?”

“Well obviously I understand the intention, but it is frustrating. I think I could play at the NSFL level now, I think I’m a lot more committed to this game than some of these others, I truly think I could be something special.

“Have you been in contact with any of the DSFL teams?”

“Yeah, I mean, of course I can’t talk about what was said, but I’ve met with a few of them.”

“Are those interviews going well for you then?”

“I think so yeah, some more than others but I know I’m not going to fit in with every team.”

“The DSFL prospect bowl is coming up soon, are you feeling confident about that?”

“Absolutely! I’ve gotten to meet a few of my teammates, some of the guys I’ll be playing against, I feel really good about the squad I’m on, I think we’ll be the team to watch for sure.”

“Before college, you played primarily as a receiver, do you think that’ll help you in the pros?”

“Yeah, I think it allows me to think like the guys I’ll be up against, I know it’ll be easier for me to see what kind of play they’re trying to use.”

“Some around the league have been speculating you’ll fall to the later rounds, does this have an impact on how you think about your future?”

“I try not to let it get to me, I think I’m first round talent, but that’s mostly out of my control, where I fall is where I fall.”

“Do you find yourself preferring one DSFL team over another?”

“DSFL? No, the way I see it, I’m only gonna be there a year, It’s not a huge deal who picks me up, Dallas, Minnesota, Tijuana, all hold the same weight in my book. On the other hand, when I get called up, I’m hoping to stay close to home, so hopefully Baltimore, or Philly like what I have to offer.”

“Great stuff as always Eric, wish we could keep it up but that is going to be our time for today, thanks for stopping by.”

“Anytime man, speak soon.”

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - Tesla - 03-02-2020

December 30th 2034

Dressed in a reflective vest over dark cold weather workout gear stood the towering figure of Magnus Rikiya on the university track. Under normal circumstances it would be closed this late at night, unfortunately for the tall young man Magnus' circumstances were anything but normal. It had been a little over three months since the accident and Magnus had only just been cleared to get back to work. Anyone who had seen him before would be able to see his strength had atrophied as he no longer had the massive muscles that defined him.

Thanks to the way the news media works he was only about to work outside in the dead of night to avoid the crowds, and given it was the middle of winter in Washington meant that he had to deal with the bitter cold instead. That did not seem to slow him down as much though as he made his way around the track. His hot breath visible in front of his face as he huffed and puffed almost as soon as he got started on his run. He kept this steady pace up until another smaller figure joined him on his run.

"A wonderful evening for a run Mr. Rikiya."

The voice was almost eerily cheerful given the weather and especially when paired with their strange appearance. An androgynous face framed with just a bit of visible green hair, and a lean body covered in indigo workout gear. Much lighter weight than someone of their frame should be wearing in this weather, although it did not seem to stop them from being able to keep up with the injured Magnus. Just served to make Magnus miss his athleticism even more.

"If you're here for an interview I am already done with them. You're dedicated, but I need to focus on my recovery."

His strange new running partner just grinned at that. "I'm actually here to be your new agent Mr. Rikiya. After you fired Mr. Sterling for trying to sell you as a hero when he thought you could no longer make money for him as an athlete; I understand that you have an opening. You want to the be the world's strongest and I want to help make your dream come true."

Magnus just kept focus on his breathing as they made it around another lap with his unofficial partner keeping perfect pace with him. He glanced between his atrophied body and their petite purple frame a few times over the course of the lap. Although the stranger just seemed to smile anytime they noticed that they had caught his eye. "Don't you know I'm damaged goods?"

"Someone putting in this kind of work when no one is watching could never be damaged goods. You cost yourself an easy career path into the hall of fame all for a perfect stranger, and that is exactly why I am here. Don't worry I know that you do not like to be called a hero and prefer to think that anybody would have done the same in your circumstances. Thing is, I also know that a lot of people are not that selfless; myself included. I like the world you see better though and I want to live in that kind of world."

"Tell you what, my name is Tesla and I am a big fan of kids like you who put in absurd amounts of work towards a dream for no one else but yourself. You have done everything society can ask of you and I think it only fair that you get some proper recompense. The world may not be a fair place to people like you, but I would like to do my part to make it a little fairer in this instance. I left my card with the doctor you have watching this exercise so get in touch if you're interested."

Magnus did not stop his routine, but he did nod strongly enough that Tesla could see it. Only then did they go their separate ways with Tesla hopping a fence to disappear back where they came from, and for Magnus a jog back to the gates of the track. Where a certain doctor was waiting for him with Tesla's business card at the ready.

"I didn't think you'd be watching over me so carefully, but I'm glad that you're here."

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - MasterCashier - 03-02-2020

So you want to know about Ryan Scott? There was a piece done on Ryan Scott before the DSFL draft for season 20, and now after being drafted to the NSFL and the big time, there’s plenty to know.

Ryan Scott had a bit of a tough time in the middle of the DSFL season. Some things in life got a bit crazy, and his training lacked. He failed to check in with the team, missed workouts, he even failed to meet some of the goals that he set for himself in his rookie season. After some talks with his DSFL manager, he knew he could do better, and he could be better than everyone else. They say that confidence is everything, but with his lack of effort during the season Ryan had a hard time being confident going into the draft knowing that his lack of training was not going to do him any favors on draft day.

He sat at the table and watched all of the friends and teammates that he joined with get drafted. He got to watch them have the joy on their faces. He got to watch them make phone calls to parents, friends, family. He watched it all happen with nervousness riddled across his face. You could tell by his nervous movements that he thought he had slipped too much. The first three rounds of the draft took forever, or at least that is how it seemed to Ryan. He sat there with complete despair on his face. Then all of a sudden he heard something he did not expect, he heard his name. At first he thought it was just his own brain playing tricks on him, who would dare call his name this early? Then people started patting him on the back, wait a minute, is this real?

With the 5th pick in the 4th round of the NSFL draft the Orange County Otters took a chance on a kid that hid some hard times. Ryan was left completely astounded. Not only did he get drafted, but he was drafted by one of the best and most accomplished teams in the NSFL. This was the ultimate joy for Ryan. He quickly had a call with the general manager of the Otters, which the first words out of Ryan’s mouth were: “Don’t you worry sir, I’m here and invested. I will not let you down for taking a chance on me.”

The next day after a whirlwind of emotions, Ryan Scott was on a plane headed to Orange County to meet the rest of the team and get settled in the clubhouse. His first couple of hours in Orange County were great, meeting new teammates, seeing some old faces that he was drafted with in the DSFL was definitely welcomed, as having people you know can make a situation like this just that much easier.

Ryan hears his name called into the GM office, and he heads over to meet his GM in person. This conversation went as expected, but Ryan was still disappointed not only in the direction the conversation went, but he was more disappointed in himself because he knows that it was him who put himself in this situation. He was being sent down to the DSFL for a year of development. The disappointment was momentary. Of course it’s not what any player wants t hear after being drafted into the NSFL, but on the other hand you can’t let that disappointment bring you down and affect you as you need to move forward. Ryan is even more determined now than he was a year ago before he was drafted into the DSFL. He has more to play for, not only for himself but he owes something to his new teammates as well. He knows what he can do. Even in an off year with missed training he had 133 tackles, 6 sacks, and an interception.

With a full year of training, there is no telling what he can do but I can say that Ryan is more motivated than ever to dominate and show the Otters they didn’t make a mistake when they drafted him in the 4th round.

701 words.

Media Grader Hiring Battle! - TeyonSchavari - 03-02-2020

(03-02-2020, 03:23 AM)Troen Wrote:do it for Gimmy.

Hire this man!