International Simulation Football League
*Daniel George - TE Scouting Report #1 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Daniel George - TE Scouting Report #1 (/showthread.php?tid=19687)

*Daniel George - TE Scouting Report #1 - Warner - 03-03-2020

Daniel George - Scouting Report
[Image: 1134077291.jpg.0.jpg]

Player Link: http://nsfl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=...=0&#entry255313

Introduction:
This is the first of several scouting reports that I’ll be writing on this upcoming DSFL draft class of TEs. Considering that they are a deciding factor on whether or not your offense will be able to make short or medium passing gains, and also determine whether your running game will be successful due to their blocking role, Tight Ends are an important position that every DSFL GM should be looking for on their draft board. This series of reports will be written so that DSFL GMs won’t need to look far to determine which of the TEs in the upcoming draft class will fit their needs best. Now, without further ado, here is my scouting report on the TE out of the University of Washington, Daniel George.

Strengths and Weaknesses:
As a Balanced Tight End, Daniel George is tasked with a variety of responsibilities on the field offensively. He is supposed to be a big and physical tight end, with good strength and decent hands, and should be a decent option for his Quarterback in either an emergency situation that requires a gain of a decent amount of yardage, or as a primary option depending on the offensive scheme that he is played in. He should also be a capable blocker with decent footwork, with the capability to prevent smaller linebackers and slow down edge rushers before they can reach the QB for a sack. George is a bit atypical for a TE of his archetype, however, considering that he isn’t the best blocker, evidenced by his below-average strength for a TE of his archetype, meaning that he’ll have more trouble holding onto the ball after a catch, and may be exceptionally fumble-prone when facing the hard-hitting safeties and linebackers that the pros have to offer. Along with this, he has average intelligence for a TE, which isn’t the worst thing in the world as it doesn’t really affect his position much outside of blocking assignments and route-running decisions. He might need some assistance in relation to it, but yet again, it’s not the most important skill that he’ll need as a physical TE. He has above-average speed for a TE, which is good, but not necessary either, considering that his position is more oriented on him outmuscling the player assigned to him in coverage. Despite this, it’s still not a bad attribute to have by any means, as it will aid him when trying to gain further yardage after securing a catch. He has average endurance for a Tight End, which means that he’ll be able to play full games without getting too tired, depending on how many big hits he takes in each game. He also has average agility for a Tight End, meaning that he won’t have an easy time at all when attempting to block a pass rusher who is adept at finesse moves, due to his rather sloppy footwork. However, he does seem to have the fundamentals down (in terms of blocking, as evidenced by his above-average run blocking and above-average pass blocking attributes, which show that he has taken the time to learn the technique, and all he needs is the strength and the footwork. Lastly, he has above-average hands for a TE of his archetype, which will aid him in making the aggressive catches that are generally expected of his archetype, along with the hand placement and disguised holds that he’ll have to utilize as a blocker as well. George is a bit of an anomaly of a prospect, but not in a bad way at all. His skills and attributes make it easy to understand why he’ll likely have success in the pros, as long as he works to mitigate a few of his weaknesses.

Pro Comparison:
[Image: USATSI_11693605.jpg]
A good comparison for Daniel George of a TE who once played professionally would have to be Evan Engram, the former TE for the New York Giants. Both George and Engram are fast, athletic TEs with good catching, great speed, decent blocking, and with a bit more to be desired in terms of strength. I think that once George reaches the DSFL, he’ll be able to have an instant effect on his offense as Engram did after being drafted to New York, and I think that he’ll be able to be a good second or third option for his QB regardless of the system he’s put into, with the potential to develop further. I think his ceiling would have to be George Kittle, the former TE for the San Francisco 49ers. Kittle, like Engram and George, was a very reliable pass catcher, and had great strength along with his elite speed and blocking skills for a player at his position. If George increases his strength, hands, and blocking, I think he’ll be able to reach his ceiling soon enough. I’d consider him to have a median floor of Evan Engram, and a median* ceiling of George Kittle.
[Image: BRONCOS-49ers-12-09-2018-JA-3533a.jpg]

Extras:
- Very tall for a TE of his archetype, measuring in at 6’6”. Should be able to bully smaller DBs in coverage quite easily regardless of how strong he is.
- Also very heavy for a TE (265 lbs), would not recommend being beneath him when attempting a tackle. Does make the lack of strength and high speed a bit strange, though.
- He is Canadian. I wonder if he considers ham to be American bacon, and Canadian bacon to be ham. Should be an interesting presser question for him.
- Right-handed.
- Former Olympic prospect in... figure skating. Perhaps a bit surprising when you compare that sport to football, which is a hundred times more violent. Interesting, though.
- Seems to have an injury history due to a freak accident suffered during figure skating. Doesn’t seem to be a recurring issue, however.
- Owns two acreages of land. How he was able to purchase it while being a broke college student is beyond me. Unless, of course, he wasn’t broke, as with all student athletes. To be fair, they do deserve to be paid, though, and I understand why he’d make such a deal.
- Complicated spousal situation. I would not like to go into detail.
- Owns and works on two farms, splitting time between both, a testament to his high work ethic and decent moral character.

Conclusion:
Daniel George is a very solid Tight End prospect for any GM that wishes to draft him. Of course, like with all incoming rookies, he has skills that he needs to work on and develop, but none are too glaring and don’t need too much specific attention (other than the fact that he needs to hit the weight room). GMs that are hoping to pick him should be aiming to take him in the first round, because he doesn’t have too far to fall. I believe that he’ll be the first TE off the board due to his work ethic, along with the skills that he has already shown during his college career, albeit his limited usage early on. I think that the DSFL will be able to unlock his true talent, and once it does, he’ll be right on track towards realizing his potential. He has a median floor and a median ceiling, with room to improve further. Once Daniel George hits his stride, I believe that he’ll truly be able to prove himself as a matchup nightmare for undersized and slower DBs for years to come.

*Debatable as to whether this is median or high, considering that we haven’t seen all of Kittle just yet (irl).
Code:
1273 words.