International Simulation Football League
*Lawrence Bass - My Journey - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Lawrence Bass - My Journey (/showthread.php?tid=19859)

*Lawrence Bass - My Journey - RussDrivesTheBus - 03-06-2020

I didn’t even start playing football until I was in 9th grade. Soccer was my first love and I played it from when I was 4 years old, all the way up through high school. I started as the goalie and I absolutely loved it. My size wasn’t exactly perfect for the position, but I really enjoyed diving around the goal denying the other teams. Eventually, I landed on the travel team for our local rec league. We played all over the South East; places like Raleigh, Savannah, Murfreesboro, and Louisville. The friends I made on that team are still close with me to this day. We made it to the state championship in our last year together, but lost in a penalty shootout in the semi-final. Then I hit a pretty extreme growth spurt and things got interesting. In the three months between 8th and 9th grade, I grew 7 inches, from 5’8” to 6’3”.

The head football coach at Dobyns Bennett High School, Rusty Clark, approached me in the hallway in my first week there and asked me if I would consider trying out, and the rest is history. History I’ll gladly tell you all about, though! Turns out, my dad, who played Defensive End at UTK, had already contacted coach and told him I would play. That was the first that I had heard of it, but, turns out he was right! The first practice was intoxicating. All those guys out there, lined up, disciplined, working for each other; it was incredible to see. I couldn’t wait to get fitted for pads and get active. I spent most of my freshman year developing my body and playing as a backup Middle Linebacker. But, I studied with the offense after most practices too. Something my parents had taught me from a young age was that preparation makes the game way easier. And, boy, were they right! I would watch from the sideline and be able to predict the play the other team was running about 45% of the time. Some signals were universal, and guys moving to certain spots keyed me in to what they were trying to do or disguise. In the 8th game of the year, our rivalry game against Science Hill, our starting senior LB, Tucker Jones, got his leg rolled up on and Coach Clark called my number. Tucker was a great influence on me and a fantastic leader for the team. We kept in contact even after he graduated. We were behind 23-10 early in the 4th. I was nervous, but all the film study had me more prepared than I thought. First play was a TFL of 6 yards; I saw the wide receiver motion across the play and the half-back watch him the whole way. I knew it was the fake jet sweep they’d run in almost all their games. After blowing up that play, my nerves were gone and the rest of the game was a breeze. We won 23-31.

We went on to play in the state tournament, but we lost in the second round to Maryville. They had a history of being our gatekeeper to the title. Since Tucker had sprained his ankle, I started in that game, but their skill players were all too physical and fast for me. We got embarrassed a bit, 35-14. After the game, I told Coach Clark that we’d be back and I would be ready to make it right. But, in the between time, it was time for soccer tryouts. Most of my friends from the travel team were trying out, so we went in with high spirits and solid confidence in each other. The varsity goalie was a junior and incredibly talented, so I had direct competition with him. My new height benefited me quite a lot, but I had a lot of technique to learn still. I ended up making the JV team, with most of my old teammates. One of our defenders even made the Varsity squad! Most of that season was spent polishing some techniques and learning to read the offensive movement patterns and reacting to quick changes. All of those skills translated perfectly to football as well. Staying active all year kept me in a great shape for both sports throughout my high school career.

Sophomore and junior year were incredible for my development as a person and a player. I became a defensive captain once Tucker graduated and I lead my conference in tackles both years. Sophomore year, we lost our starting QB and missed the playoffs, which hurt like hell. However, the soccer team made the state tournament for the first time in 15 years, but fell in the final to Bearden High School. I was lucky enough to win the award for TN State Goalkeeper of the Year for keeping 19 clean sheets, but that wasn’t the mission. Junior year, the football team made it back to the playoffs and beat Hardin Valley in the first round. It was an amazing feeling, but we then lost in the next round to Ravenwood. The soccer team won the play-in game for the state tournament that year, but lost in the opening round. We had a few key injuries to midfielders, so we knew we could be back.

In the summer before my senior season, I was contacted by football scouts from UGA and UTK. I hadn’t given much thought to playing college football, but the scouts made me a believer. I got many more letters during that season, but those were the first two schools to come see me in person, and that stuck with me. The UTK scout told me that my senior year would be the most important one in my playing career, and that he was ecstatic to watch me. Knowing that those eyes were on me actually made me play better. I had spent the offseason working out with my dad and watching film. The regular season games seemed almost like I was playing on auto-pilot, thanks to my film prep. I managed to lead the conference in tackles again, but, the goal was a state title. Dobyns-Bennett football hadn’t won a title in almost 100 years, and I was ready to change that. We played William Blount High School in the first round, and demolished them 45-17. In the second round, Bearden put up a tough game early, but we got past them as well, 35-10. We finally conquered our gatekeeper, Maryville, in the third round. I scored a TD off a fumble recovery early in the 4th quarter, which swung the momentum fully in our favor; 31-20. The final saw us play against Blackman High School, where we scored a safety and got a pick-6 in the first quarter. They were on their heels the rest of the game and we pressed forward. A final score of 54-18 saw us win our first State Championship in nearly a century. I was beyond pumped to do that for my hometown, but, I had my eyes on another lofty goal as well: winning a State Championship with the soccer team.

Before the soccer season started, however, I had to make my big decision on National Signing Day. With my mom and dad standing behind me, I announced to the world that I would be taking my talents to Knoxville, Tennessee. After that huge moment, I felt like a large weight had been lifted from my shoulders, and immediately replaced with another weight. It was time to refocus my efforts on the pitch. The soccer team found record success in my senior year. We finished the regular season with a 18-0-1 record, and advanced to the state tournament. I won another Tennessee State Goalkeeper of the Year award, which really should be a defensive unit award. My boys held me down all year. We breezed past the first 2 rounds with 3-0 victories. I saved a penalty in the semi-final that would have tied the game in the 78th minute. That is one of my favorite memories of high school, honestly. The final went to a penalty shootout after a 1-1 regulation finish. I saved two of the five shots I faced and even stepped up and made one myself! That was a ridiculous feeling; State Champs in two sports in my final year at DB. I really couldn’t believe it, but that’s what I had been working for my whole career. However, I didn’t get much time to celebrate, because it was soon time to enroll early at UTK; a decision my dad had sort of made for me that turned out to be highly intelligent. Good lookin’ out, pops.

Seeing the facilities and the stadium at UT wasn’t necessarily a revelation to me, because my dad had been taking me there all my life. I almost felt at home. But, I found out quickly that the college game is a huge step up from high school. Practices were harder and longer. It felt much more like a job, than a sport, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Even the bad stuff and the little nagging injuries weren’t enough to keep me down. It’s just different there. The orange and white really does run in the veins of Knoxville. But, like I said, I’d been surrounded by it my whole life. I’d been to Neyland Stadium when it was packed full and rockin’ under the lights. But, I’d be a liar if I told you that I wasn’t nervous for that first game. One hundred thousand people all there to see the Volunteers run through that Power-T and crush whoever lines up against them. That first run out stays with you for the rest of your life. I didn’t crack the starting lineup until about midway through my Freshman year, and that was really due more to injuries than ability. I worked my ass off, but the game is just so much faster at that level and I wasn’t ready for it. I told James Morison on 3rd and 20 about the little running back from Florida that absolutely lit me up. Trust me, that was enough to light the fire under my ass. I lived in the weight room that summer and gained I think something wild like 25 lbs. of muscle. It’s amazing what a professional weight room staff and nutrition team can do for a developing body, I swear!

By the Orange and White game my sophomore year, I was ready to feast. I got out there and put on a show for a packed house. Think about that. A packed stadium, for a spring practice! You don’t get that down in Alabama, I’ll tell you that right now. It’s truly amazing. That year, I think I ended the season with something like 120 tackles, which didn’t seem like a lot to me because I know I left some out there. But, speaking of Bama, I did set the UT single game tackle record against them. I got 30 tackles on those poor boys from Tuscaloosa. I swear I’ve never felt like that in a game since. I just read everything. I knew where they were going before they did, and I met them there. Simple as that. Really, it all goes to back to film preparation. Peyton Manning spent more time in the film room than anyone, and look where he ended up. It’s hard to argue with that success. So, that’s what I did. When I wasn’t in the weight room, I was studying film. Now, mind you, I got my class work in there too, but there were a lot of long nights spent with that remote in my hand and some sleepy classes the next morning. We went on to the Rose Bowl, which was an incredible experience and atmosphere. But, man, I really hate talking about that game. They dropped 600 yards on my unit. We lost one of our best corners in the 1st quarter to a concussion, but that’s not an excuse. They abused everyone that night, including me. So, after the game, when that reporter came up to me and stuck that mic in my face, I was heated. I’d never been embarrassed like that in a game before. So, feeling like my manhood had been questioned, I said what I said. That shit took off, man! That’s basically all I saw on ESPN that offseason. That, and Lebron Jr. Really, that’s why I’m more reserved now with media and interviews. But, my position coach was a smart guy, and used it to fuel me for my junior year.

He and the other coaches called me into a meeting with just them and the Quarterback. They were making us team captains. It’s still my highest honor to this day. They dismissed us, but had me come back after a few minutes. They sat me down and told me that my Junior season was going to determine how the rest of my life plays out. If I went through the motions, I could maybe make it to the pros and hang around for a few seasons as a backup. But, if I busted my ass and lead by example every day, I could make a real run at being one of the best to ever do it. That talk was the best thing to happen to me in my college career. Practices were harder than games. We were out there brutalizing each other, running sprints after practice and watching every bit of film we could get our hands on. Even teams we weren’t playing that year. It was hell. But, come Saturday, we knew there wasn’t anyone in the country who could challenge us or make us work harder than we had all week. I once again lead the SEC, and the nation that year, in tackles with 147. If I’m honest, it was a hell of a year. I even got Heisman votes! As a Linebacker! We beat up on everybody we played. Our front 7 was dominant, our DBs were everywhere and our offense could score at any time. It was a magical year where we put it all together. UT had never been to the playoff before, but we were beyond ready. I almost felt bad for having to play Oklahoma in the semi-final, because everyone knew, whoever got the 4 seed was going to get annihilated. And they did. Playing Ohio State in the Championship game was an incredible honor, especially because my mom is from Ohio and a lot of our family still lives there. However, I had been watching film on them all year, because they were right behind us in the national rankings. Their QB, bless him, had some major tells that I exploited all game. While, I wouldn’t say it was a comfortable win, once we got the lead and a couple stops, I felt like we had it secured. Watching that orange and white confetti come down is a memory I hope never leaves me. The same reporter that caught me after that Rose Bowl loss, found me after this one. More accurately, I sought him out. We had a great interaction and I thanked him for fueling me to this victory. Shout out Tito Thompson reppin’ the Kingsport Times!

After that magical season, I met with my coaches again and we talked for hours. We talked about memories on the field, they told me about when they were scouting me. It was a great trip down memory lane, that ended with us coming to the mutual decision for me to declare for the DSFL draft. And last night, after years of hard work and dedication, I was taken 32nd overall to the defending champion Minnesota Grey Ducks. I cannot wait to get started with my new teammates and I am beyond ready to start hitting people again. If someone were to ask me what my realistic goals are for this year, I would say I want to lead the league in tackles, and help Minnesota successfully defend their title. Hopefully, when it’s all said and done, I’ll have another sit down with Tito and we’ll talk about how far we’ve both come.

Thank you for taking interest in my story, and thanks for sticking with it this whole time! I hope to see all of you either out on the field or in the stands enjoying yourselves. Til’ then, be kind to everyone you see and have a great day! Go Ducks!!!

Word Count: 2763

*Lawrence Bass - My Journey - J0EB - 03-06-2020

Awesome article! I can tell you put a lot of effort into it and it paid off, it was really well written and tells a fantastic story. Good Luck with the Ducks!

*Lawrence Bass - My Journey - RussDrivesTheBus - 03-07-2020

(03-06-2020, 07:31 PM)J0EB Wrote:Awesome article! I can tell you put a lot of effort into it and it paid off, it was really well written and tells a fantastic story. Good Luck with the Ducks!

Thank you so much!