International Simulation Football League
*Player-Coach Upset By Miller Hit, Celebration - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Player-Coach Upset By Miller Hit, Celebration (/showthread.php?tid=20131)

*Player-Coach Upset By Miller Hit, Celebration - BRNXB0MBERS - 03-14-2020

PLAYER-COACH UPSET BY MILLER HIT, CELEBRATION

Jeremy Cluff, Arizona Republic | Mar 12, 2020 | Phoenix

The longstanding feud between conference rivals Austin and Arizona deteriorated during week two when Copperheads GM and RB Mako Mendonca and Outlaws nose tackle Pete “Plop” Miller got caught up in a heated, obscenity-laced confrontation on the field after the game ended.

The object of Mendonca’s ire, which led him to confront Miller on the Arizona sideline after shaking hands with many other Arizona players: His disapproval of Miller’s hit on the first play of the fourth quarter, and with the celebration by Miller while the Austin running back writhed in pain on the field.

There was no flag on the play.

"He has a lot of potential, but there’s no room for that kind of hit in this league," said Mendonca, who took an uncharacteristically long time to come out from the locker room for his session with the media. "Maybe it wasn't a cheap shot. Maybe I just overreacted, but in the heat of the moment, I didn't think it was clean."

Miller responded later by suggesting Mendonca yelled and cursed at him and then labeled the Austin GM/RB "a lying, cheating, poop face.”

“If I was 20 years old and didn't have two kids or a conscience, I would have given him an ass-beating right there on the field."

The play in question was the first of the fourth quarter, when Easton Cole, the Austin QB, handed the ball to Mendonca for a run up the middle. The Arizona defensive line had the perfect play call, and Mendonca was hit at the line of scrimmage for a short gain.

During the play, Miller clearly launched himself into Mendonca. The Austin starting running back then fell to the ground, remained there for several minutes, and was finally helped off the field. The drive eventually ended in a touchdown, which extended the Copperheads lead and proved to be the difference maker when the score went final.

Mendonca reportedly lost feeling in his lower extremities for a short period and, while he was still on the ground getting medical attention, Miller could be seen on the in-stadium video screens celebrating. Apparently, it was that celebration which most irritated Mendonca and some of the Austin players. Mendonca regained feeling and was able to move his arms and legs as he left the field.

Miller did not deny that he targeted Mendonca the play.

"Yeah, I had my eyes set on him," Miller said. "Just like a missile, Boom! I hit him, and he dropped to the ground. Man, that hit felt good. I didn’t mean to injure him, but I wanted him to know that this defensive line means business."

Copperheads officials announced that Mendonca suffered a hip injury and he would be evaluated at a local hospital after the game. He remained there overnight while the team doctors conducted a full evaluation. An MRI showed no structural damage.

Most of the players, coaches, and media were unaware of the Mendonca-Miller post-game argument at first. When an unidentified Copperheads staffer was accidentally shoved during the incident, multiple people from both sides stepped in to calm everyone down.

Mendonca was visibly shaken by the incident, but he appeared calm by the time he addressed the media. "It bugs me," he said. "I know hits like that used to be tolerated, but I think the game of football…well, football has changed. It should bug everyone involved with this league."

The confrontation is certain to draw the scrutiny of HO, and both Mendonca and Miller could be subject to NSFL discipline.

Code:
603 words