International Simulation Football League
*"Improvement" Ideas - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *"Improvement" Ideas (/showthread.php?tid=20183)

*"Improvement" Ideas - Opera_Phantom - 03-16-2020

(This was written before getting the HO Intern job, so everything written below has a 0% probabilty of me being sneaky and trying to leak information)

Ok, so i have decided to write a bit about the things i would like to see changed in the league, to make it more fun.
Be advised that in most of these "suggestions", like a good user, i present absolutely no advice or real way to change them. I do not even know if they are doable or even possible. Classic OP.

So, here we go, and in no particular order of interest:

1) Change the website/league name

This one is pretty self explanatory. The National Simulation Football League is the NSFL, and that is the acronym for "not safe for life". Typically this is used as a warning next to web links that go to disturbing content, so we can argue that some people that possibly had some kind of interest in the game, might be put off by the connotation. Hey, some of us might try to access the game at work or at some public computer and when the "NSFL" comes up on the link, that is an immediately blocked page. Again, people may be trying to be active and do stuff here, but can't because of that.

This discussion has been had at least a couple of times since i play the game, some users bring it up every now and then on discord, etc. How to change and what is needed? First, there needs to be a new name. My idea is for HO to get 5 preliminary names and put those to user voting. Oh, you want a suggestion? Sure, why not "National Football League Simulation"? Or "American Football League Simulation"? I feel we can get a new decent name, SFW, that can be used.

Then, we need to check with jcink if it is possible to just migrate the forum to another "link" without losing content. Even if it is not possible, we could use that opportunity to try and find a new forum host, with better functionalities. I know this involves money, but it might be possible.

League logos would also need changing, but we have great GFX people here who would probably be able to do something about it.

2) Player updating format

While i have no idea how long it took or what kind of processes were used, the EFL has a great way of updating (and apparently today they release a new website for that). It is basically a "manager" where you login (not on the forum) and you claim all your tasks for TPE and update your player there. It is simpler than the process we use here for sure and i know for a fact that the updates on NSFL move people away from this, as they are used to play games with automated stuff.
I know this would take a long long time, but why not investigate how it is done to see if it is something feasible? In the end we could even use that platform to make it able for users to submit predictions, trivia and other Point Tasks through it.

3) Update into a newer version of DDSPF

We are using DDSPF 16 i think, when there is already a DDSPF 20 version out. I know that Wolverine Studios pretty much crapped on NSFL lawn when feedback was given and they chose to do exactly zero things that were requested, but it might be time to go to them again to see if a deal can be made. One of the issues i guess is the simulation time, that takes forever with no chance of making it faster, making the streams impossible, but who knows if some new patches can be released that address these and other problems or limitations? Ore at least go to them to make them realize that in a newer version, some things could be included to help us here.

4) Increase GFX/statistical analysis pay

I feel like this is probably already being addressed by Head Office, but GFX pay needs to be changed. I have zero talent for creating graphics, so i might be making it harder than it is, but i feel that writing a 1000 word media is pretty simple (Exhibit 1 right here) and it gives you x amount of money, while making a graphic that gives you that same amount is way harder to achieve. I do understand that people might release shitty graphics in case the pay is better or the criteria is loosened, but a way must be found to properly reward the GFX people for their work. Same thing for statistical analysis, I have seen some fantastic statistical analysis made by users, with simulated seasons, a lot of in depth player analysis, etc, so they should have bigger bonuses for time spent on that.

5) Contracts and team changes

I honestly understand that some users prefer to be on the same team for their whole career. That is probably what is going to happen with my player as well, so no judgement there. But how cool it would be for every off season in the NSFL to be "F5 season"? Players changing teams left and right, trying to go for that top tier money instead of settling for minimum contracts because it is easier to get money with media or job pay? Players wanting to leave and getting franchised tagged because their team does not want to lose him. I feel this would bring a new excitement to the game, making it harder on GMs to plan ahead.
Nowadays the vast majority of players just do not change teams and when they do, it is not about the money. Caps would need to be changed, a lot of rules about contracts as well, but this would be awesome. Increase minimum pay per position and respective TPE perhaps? Make things more expensive so that players need to go looking for that fat check? Don't know, maybe someone with more knowledge may drop some inputs about this here.

6) NSFL Expansion
This one goes without saying, again, it is probably on the works, i just hope HO announces this sooner rather than later. It seems clear that with the amount of new users from the last recruiting class, new teams will need to be created. The question is, 2 teams or 4? I'm hoping for 4, but I guess there will be 2 new teams, to play it safe. We are now almost 1 week into the season (3 games in the NSFL) and the announcement should come as soon as possible. I know some users that are already setting things up, so that when the announcement comes, they can pretty much just send their application to HO fast, but this is a subject where, if it is certain that an expansion will occur, why delay the decision and the application process? Unless...... There is no expansion on the way. I hope this is not the case.

7) NSFL Schedule
With the possible expansion this situation might get sorted, but there has to be a way to get the same amount of home and away games during the season. It makes no sense that there are teams that play 7 games at home and 6 away and others the opposite. I know the sim has some stupid restrictions about the number of games a season with 10 teams can have, but please take this in consideration when expanding the league, either for 12 or 14 teams.

This is all i can remember for now, let me know if there is anything here that definitely can't be done/changed because of whatever and if you have any ideas on things that could be improved.

*"Improvement" Ideas - BadLck - 03-16-2020

Cannot agree more with number 4. I feel making the lower tier graphics pay should stay the same amount but when you get to the 4 - 5 range the pay should be much higher.

*"Improvement" Ideas - Isidore94 - 03-16-2020

I agree with most of these. All well thought out ideas!

*"Improvement" Ideas - Raven - 03-16-2020

I like 1 (The accronym change part), 4 and 6&7 go hand in hand really.