International Simulation Football League
*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! (/showthread.php?tid=20711)

Pages: 1 2

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - infinitempg - 04-01-2020

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][Image: pP7Qsw5.png]

National Simulation Football League Historical March Madness - R1 Update![/div]

Hi all! First of all, thanks to the 51 users who entered a bracket in on time (and to @Kyle for tagging me like 5 minutes after I closed them to submit one). This was much more successful than I thought it would be.

Bracket and Standings

With that being said, you can see the results, standings, and everyone's brackets of the first round HERE.

Here is the bracket: (you might need to click on it to see the full thing clearly)

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][Image: DI9FSor.png][/div]

Your top 5 are currently @37thchamber with 13 and @Duilio05, @timeconsumer, @iamslm22, and @FleshBagSoup all tied at 12! Stuck at the bottom (for now) is @Thiath with 6 points. The average score was 9.62 for the first round.

Notable Results

This round of play featured quite a few upsets, and quite a few last second game winners! I will describe a few of them below.

--

(1) S9 NOLA 27
(16) S6 SJS 26
Boxscore

Our number one overall seed, in the first game of the tournament, was already having quite a scare. The greatest doot doots of all time started off slow, being down 23-10 at half time after a Benson Bayley pick six. Borkus Maximus III put the team on his back and dragged them to within 2 by the end of the 3rd quarter, with two 30 yard touchdowns to Dustin Evans and Charlie Law. The game was capped off with an Iyah Blewitt 18 yard field goal to take a 1 point lead that NOLA was able to hold for the last 5 minutes.

An interesting note to take here is that 100% of users had the Second Line winning this game, and 21 users (40%) have them winning the whole tournament. Imagine the chaos if they got UMBC'd...

--

(5) S10 NOLA 24
(12) S18 AUS 44
Boxscore

You fools! You fell to one of the classic blunders, a 12 upsetting a 5 seed! Easton Cole had himself a big one with 439 passing yards and 4 touchdowns on their way to an absolute rout of the Second Line. The score is actually closer than it would seem, as with 12:26 to go in the 4Q Rod Tidwell extended the Copperhead lead to 41-10.

Only 9 people (17%) managed to predict this upset (as opposed to the 20 who thought the other 5-12 upset would happen), and 3 people had the S10 NOLA advancing all the way to the championship game.

--

(6) S13 SJS 15
(11) S11 NOLA 17
Boxscore

An absolute nail-bier of a game. This game included 6 lead changes, most notably when Beat Meoff smashed a 48 yarder to give the Second Line a 2 point lead with 15 seconds to go. NOLA's famous air-doot offense, while it didn't put up any points, kept them in the game as Charlie Law and Vlad Fyodorovich finished with over 100 yards, and Alexandre LeClair with 88.

18 people (34%) were able to predict an upset of the Sabercats - only 4 people had the kitties making the Final Four and 1 had them in the championship.

--

(8) S6 PHI 26 (OT)
(9) S10 COL 23
Boxscore

KICKER DUEL! There was a combined 7 field goals, 3 by McCormick and 4 by Harris. While Tyler Oles had 418 yards through the air, he could only account for 1 touchdown. With 3:34 to go in the 4Q, the Liberty managed to tie the game on a 29 yard field goal and bring the game to overtime. The OT rules in this sim, by the way, are full quarters until someone ends a quarter with a lead - which is what Philadelphia took with 16 seconds left in OT1 with a freaking 56 yard field goal! Talk about faith in your kicker.

30 people (57%) had Philly making it past this round, though it seems 26 of those 30 don't think the Liberty make it past the meat-grinder that is the S19 Otters.

--

(4) S7 PHI 27
(13) S14 BAL 33
Boxscore

Despite being inferior to the Liberty in just about every statistic, the Hawks won this game on 10 points off interceptions. Hornbacher's almost-pick-six with about 10 minutes to go allowed the Hawks to double dip in the endzone and make the game just out of reach for the Liberty at 30-13.

Only 14 people (27%) managed to call this game - but of those 14, 2 have them winning the whole tournament. This is a trend we will see again with the Hawks...

--

(6) S7 YKW 13
(11) S15 SJS 16
Boxscore

Another defensive slugfest here, punctuated by Neo Donaldson's game-winner from 37 yards out with 0:23 left in the 4Q. The ever-irrelevant Flash only managed to get 43 yards while once again being outshined by Ty Justice, whos 124 yards helped propel the Sabercats to the victory and the upset!

Only 14 people (27%) called this game as well. Lots of people had faith in the S7 Wraiths to make it far in the tournament as 6 people had them advancing to the Final Four. This isn't the biggest tragedy for them yet though...

--

(3) S18 YKW 17
(14) S10 BAL 20

One of the best Wraiths teams of all time managed to do the Wraith thing at a high level. Carrying a 17-7 lead into the 4Q, the Wraiths watched it all disappear on the legs of Owen Taylor and Turk Turkleton. Turk's 37 yarder with 0:28 to go in the game sealed the deal for the Wraiths, who despite being statistically superior also lose via turnover. Bigsby's 3rd and final interception of the night came with 0:51 to go in the game on their own 34 yard line, and Trey Willie's return to the 20 yardline allowed Turk to walk immediately on to win the game.

Just like the others, 14 (27%) people called this game, which is a weird coincidence. The S10 Hawks are the biggest boom or bust option it appears, as of the 14 people with them winning this, 3 have them winning it all. What do they know that we don't? The S18 Wraiths also had 3 votes to hoist the trophy.

--

Statistics

There are statistics on who picked who to advance where in the spreadsheet, but I want to do a team-by-team recap really quickly.

ARI 0-2
AUS 1-1
BAL 3-1
CHI 0-2
COL 1-1
NOLA 2-1
OCO 6-2
PHI 1-1
SJS 2-2
YKW 0-3

3 teams are completely eliminated, perhaps most surprisingly the Wraiths. The (14) S10 Hawks beating the (3) S18 Wraiths were the biggest bracket buster - the Wraiths had 33 votes to make the Elite Eight, 20 to make the Final Four, 11 to make the title game, and 3 to win it all. The least expected victor of the week was the (12) S18 Copperheads, as only 9 people thought they would make it past this week.

Once again, you can see a summary of results, statistics, and everyone's brackets here!

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Who will make the Elite Eight? Who's slipper will still fit, and who's clock will strike midnight? Can the 1 seeds prove their worth? Tune in next week, April 8th, to find out![/div]

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - Thiath - 04-01-2020

Why can't HFA be as op in this as it is in the sim. Fucking upsets.

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - FleshBagSoup - 04-01-2020

Wow S18 austin with a huge game

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - Bayley - 04-01-2020

The first game had Bayley on defense for both sides... welp

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - infinitempg - 04-01-2020

(04-01-2020, 08:34 PM)BayleyIsland Wrote:The first game had Bayley on defense for both sides... welp

it gets crazier i promise

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - Bigred1580 - 04-01-2020

I hate... so much... the things you choose to be... Why... Can't we just have nice things... for once... I am retiring because of this...

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - iamslm22 - 04-02-2020

BAL BAL BAL

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - Duilio05 - 04-02-2020

Let's take this time to once again note my great prediction skills...

before it all gets ruined because one of my final two is eliminated.

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - iseedoug - 04-02-2020

S14 Hawks baby!!!!!

We should do this every March man.

*NSFL March Madness - Round 1 Results! - ckroyal92 - 04-02-2020

Seeing how S15 SJS advanced while S15 BAL did not, this means someone owes me a ring. Right @iseedoug?