International Simulation Football League
*NSFL Expansion Draft Protections - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NSFL Expansion Draft Protections (/showthread.php?tid=20841)

*NSFL Expansion Draft Protections - RussDrivesTheBus - 04-06-2020

With the Expansion Draft rapidly approaching, War Rooms across the league are alight with debate on who they need to protect. For some teams, the decisions may be a little more straight forward, but I assure you, this is an incredibly difficult task no matter the situation. While I am new to this process and simulation leagues in general, I’d like to take a stab at mocking up who each team should consider using their protections on. There may yet be some more retirements and trades, but I’ll work with our current situation to the best of my ability. With that said, let’s start with the NSFC.

BAL Baltimore Hawks

Auto-Protection:
Walt Green – S – Duilio05

Initial Protections:
Juan Marston – CB – Jepox
I see Juan as a necessity because Acho is retiring and Troyski is going into his 12th season. You’ll find out quickly that I value speed highly, and do take it into account when I’m picking between players. As such, Juan’s 100 Speed and the huge positional need make this protection essential in my eyes.

Asher Quinn – WR – Dewalt27
This pick might be controversial if I don’t really understand how the regression system works. Eroll Maddox is coming into his 10th season in the NSFL, so regression is going to really be taking a toll. Asher Quinn is a great heir apparent and dewalt is a fantastic person in the locker room. Chris Kross is exempt as he is an S21 player, so locking up Quinn keeps this WR core strong for the future of the franchise.

Apollo Reed – RB – NylarthePhoenix
This pick shouldn’t need too much explanation. Apollo is one of the most productive players in the league and still has a few solid years left in the tank to lead the back field.

Darrell Williams – RB – Ry_
But, Russ, they just protected their starting RB. That is true, but the production coming out of Williams is insane. He would be starting on tons of other teams. The strength of the BAL backfield is their ability in the pass game. The two RBs combined for 1055 receiving yards and 8 TDs. That’s the production of a WR1 coming from two of the better backs in the league. I think it would be incredibly difficult to justify letting either go.

Sandip "Sandy" Bakshi – LB – player1
Sandy is a solid piece of this defense, that gets the nod over his other teammates because the LB core is a little weaker than other groups. He led the league in TFLs this season, which is no small feat. Nikko is inactive, so I think Baltimore will leave him unprotected. After regression, Sandip will be at roughly the same amount of TPE as Nikko, but it’s a necessary evil in my eyes.

Logan Uchiha – S – CalvinP
As previously mentioned, the Hawks are losing two corners to retirement this offseason. With that being the case, I think they will protect Uchiha as he may be able to fill in as a CB if things get tight. Logan is a great player overall, and, while he’s been inactive in 2020, he can still contribute to the defense.

COL Colorado Yeti

Auto-protections:
Mo Berry – LB – Frick_Nasty
Bubba Thumper – DT – woelker11

Initial Protections:
Wolfie McDummy – QB – infinitempg
The quarterback and leader of the offense. Not much to say here. Incredible mobile style QB, who can still make all the throws. His 28 total TDs lead the league this season. This is a no-brainer.

Louisiana Purchase – CB – Modern_Duke
With the retirement of Axel Hornbacher, Purchase becomes an essential protection for me. His teammate Quentin Sinclair will be entering regression this upcoming season, so Purchase will be asked to take on a bigger role. I think he is more than capable of keeping WR1s contained, especially with his 100 Speed.

Pete Parker – S – Jsteele14
Originally, I thought about using this protection on Quentin Sinclair. Both players are great pieces, but the upcoming NSFL rookie class is completely loaded at CB. That’s what tipped me toward Parker. He’s a fantastic player at the position, and will continue to serve as a stopper in this defense.

Ashley Owens – RB – run-CMC
Owens is one of the most potent offensive threats in the NSFL. While Owens didn’t top 1000 rushing yards (819), he did add another 600 yards and 4 TDs in the air. That production is invaluable. This protection comes about as easy as Wolfie’s. One of the league’s, let alone Colorado’s, best players.

Laszlo Forty-Two – WR - C9Van
Laszlo is as sure-handed as they come, racking up 1071 yards and 7 TDs on the year. He is Wolfie’s favorite receiver, in terms of receptions, and I think they’ll want to keep that pairing going into next season. 100 hands and 100 Endurance ensure that Laszlo can be on the field and make a play at any time. He has another season before he even starts to regress, so I think this is a safe use of a protection.

YKW Yellowknife Wraiths

Auto-protections:
Nero Alexander – DE – Shadyshoelace

Initial Protections:
Maurice Virtanen – LB – BaconBrother
Bacon is all over this league. He’s a man of many titles and roles, but, for Yellowknife, the role that matters is defensive Rockstar. He does it all; pass coverage, getting to the QB, wrapping up in the open field. He’s got to stay. With Quaid being an S21 auto-protect, this ensures the YKW get to keep a great LB core moving forward.

Cooter Bigsby – QB – timeconsumer
Cooter was the passing leader in the NSFL this season, and is currently leading the Otters on yet another playoff campaign. He’s already in regression, but he has at least another season of top tier play in him. YK can address his age by drafting a QB in this year’s stacked NSFL draft.

Mathias Hanyadi – RB – CLGRampage
You know the deal by now, I hope. 100 Speed. Hanyadi is a huge talent and a 1000-yard rusher. He added another 500 receiving yards as well. He’s got plenty more years as a top 5 RB in the league, and YKW absolutely should protect that.

Bender B. Rodriguez – WR – Pazuzu
With Rayne Gordon leaving to become the GM for Sarasota and Nate Swift regressing even further, there’s a big hole that needs filling at WR1. Bender will become the de facto WR1, but not reluctantly. He’s got the juice to be one of the best in the league.

Mervin Leonard – CB – hihihi_62
The DB core for Yellowknife is getting lighter all the time. This draft will help them reload, as it’s absolutely tacked in those areas. That being said, YKW need to keep hold of the best asset they have in the defensive backfield. 100 Speed and 95 Endurance make sure that Marvin can keep pace with any WR for the whole game.

Giannis Kroustis – DT - AirCrou
The last protection is the hardest for YKW, in my opinion. Protecting Giannis, rather than other aging members of their secondary is only possible because of how deep the draft is at DB. If this were any other class, my decision would be different. Giannis, however, is no slouch. He recorded 10 sacks this season, showing his disruptive abilities. Hopefully, keeping pressure up front, will make life easier for the secondary.

PHI Philadelphia Liberty

Auto-protections:
Ilove Gimmy – DE – Hallmonitor22

Initial Protections:
Sam Torenson – RB – Jonny2x
Torenson is the league’s leading rusher this year, and won’t even begin to regress for another season. Even though Sam doesn’t add as much as some other backs do in the passing game, Philly would be absolutely insane to let him go unprotected.

Nacho Varga – WR – Fordhammer
This is another easy choice for Philly. Varga was five yards short of 1000 this season, and, while he will be entering regression this upcoming season, he is too valuable to let slide. He has at least another two seasons of high tier play in his legs. Philly has two younger WRs on the roster, but they have a long way to go before they can comfortably fill the WR1 spot.

Brock Phoenix – QB – 4ever
Philly should elect to round out their offense by keeping their talented young QB. He didn’t put up astonishing numbers this season, but he has all the necessary attributes to put together an incredible season next year. This is the QB of Philly’s present and future, no doubt.

Edmondov Emoji – CB – BWIII
With the early retirement of Julian McMorris, Philadelphia must protect Emoji. They cannot afford to have both of those players leave in the same year. With decent ball hawking instincts and a fat 100 Speed, Emoji will continue to serve as a solid CB1. Edmondov is IA since January, but even if he doesn't come back, this will be a high impact player for a few more seasons.

Richard D'Attoria V – S – 124715
You already know the business. 100 Speed. Can play CB in a pinch. Dick is entering regression this season, but Philly’s secondary needs to remain strong while they draft and cultivate some young talent. Unfortunately, this is another player that has been inactive for a while. But, if even as an IA, Dick should be a solid piece.

Lamont McKinnie – S – SouljaBoy2007
I’m starting to think Philly has a bit of a problem with players being inactive. Yet another player that has been inactive since January. That being said, the secondary needs to remain solid if Philly want to contend. Although, I’d say contention is the least of their worries at this point.

CHI Chicago Butchers

BayleyIsland, the new GM of Chicago, recently put out a writeup on their protections, so I will respect that and leave the Butchers off of my list. I wish them luck this year.

Moving on to the AFSC

OCO Orange County Otters

Auto-protections:
Tyrone Biggums – S – Revolution5
Korrin Abernathy – CB – Laser

Initial Protections:
Franklin Armstrong – QB – Moonlight
Armstrong is an incredibly talented Quarterback. He had an astounding QBR of 109 for the season, completed 64% of his passes and lead all QBs with 26 TDs and only 2 INTs. Entering his first season of regression does absolutely nothing to change the fact that the Otters have to use a protection here.

Ludicolo Bigby – RB – TheWoZy
Bigby is an absolute must-keep. Siddhus’ shocking early retirement has created an even bigger necessity to keep hold of this borderline RB1. He’s been IA since November, but they unfortunately can’t afford to lose this position. This is definitely a position the Otters need to address in the draft if possible.

Hugh Mongo – WR – Speculadora
This is an easy pick for the Otters. With his 100 Hands stat, he catches everything coming his way, including 7 TDs this season. With Kerisuto being exempt as another S21 player, this WR core will be strong for another 3-5 seasons.

Lanzer Grievous – LB – Rising Equinox
This is a must, in my eyes. While Lanzer will start regressing this season, he is still a huge force for the Otters’ defense. Storm is a year younger, but has half the TPE. That, coupled with the fact that Ginsberg entering his 3rd season of regression, make this a lock for me.

Kacey Dream – CB – scorycory
Kacey Dream is just that; a dream. You already know I’m protecting a Corner with 100 Speed. The Otters protecting Dream ensure that they can lock up a pair of the best CBs in the league for at least a few more seasons. Youth and speed give Dream the nod over protecting Lattimer. That is a tough decision that the FO will have to make, but I think it is better overall for the franchise’s future.

NOLA NOLA Secondline

Auto-protections:
Forrest Gump – RB – TomHanks
Stan Francsico – QB – juOSu

Initial protections:
Quenton Bode – LB – terriblehippo
One of the best LBs in the league has to get protected. It’s really that simple. NOLA is losing Slothface to recreation, so the positional need is strong. Bode is a tackle machine, and even recorded 3 pass defenses in coverage. He’ll be entering regression this year, but he’s well worth a protection regardless.

Mark Arianlacher – LB – LordMacharius
Even though Bode is already protected, Mack gets a slot as well. He will be the future of this defense and will work as a great 2 to Bode’s 1. His numbers don’t jump out, but that’s because he was playing behind possibly the best LB duo in the league. He will be a rock for this unit next year.

Marcella T?riki – RB – bex
Our fearless commissioner is also a fearless player. She racked up 1353 total scrimmage yards this season and added 11 TDs to NOLAs total. This RB duo stacks up against any other group in the league, very favorably. Marcella is just now hitting her prime, and is ready to let her 100 Speed run roughshod on the rest of the league this season.

David Rector – CB – ddrector
Rector is going to be half of a CB duo that leads the Secondline for the foreseeable future. This year he displayed his playmaking abilities by recording 15 pass defenses. His 95 Speed and 85 Intelligence allows him to get in the right place to make all these amazing plays. He’ll be a fantastic asset moving forward.

Xavien Adams – CB – TheDangaZone
This is the other half of NOLA CB duo of the future. Xavien compliments Rector perfectly. They play a similar style, but, while Rector is a little more cerebral, Adams makes up for that in Speed (100). Adams managed 73 tackles and even got to the QB 3 times this season. Adams and Rector are getting the nod over Deon Taylor due to their youth, and Taylor being IA for over a month.

AUS Austin Copperheads

Auto-Protections:
Mako Mendonca – RB – Mooty99
Easton Cole – QB – Jkortesi81

Initial Protections:
Rod Tidwell – WR – SDCore
Tidwell is a fantastic asset on this offense, and with their QB and RB already locked up, Austin should look to keep their WR1. The speedster totaled 1100 receiving yards, which was good enough for 6th most in the league. This will be his first year of regression, but he’s too good to let go. His teammate, Gains, was a consideration here as well, but his low endurance (67) worries me if Tidwell were to go. Would he be able to carry a WR1 workload?

Honda Edmond – LB – KillKillKill
With a protection here, and Holden Summers exempt from being picked up, the Copperheads can shore up their LB core for the next few seasons. Honda was 3rd in tackles for the year, and notched 6 pass defenses as well. Returning both him, and Summers will be a great boon for this defense.

Dermot Lavelle Jr. - CB – White Cornerback
Lavelle is a solid corner and an essential piece of this secondary. His numbers weren’t shocking last season, but his presence is necessary to keep Austin’s defense in contention as one of the best in the league. With another year before he starts regressing, Austin would be wise to protect him.

Awkward Sexjoke – S – AdamS
This pick is slightly difficult, simply because Chase Jensen has double the TPE. That being said, Jensen has been inactive since November, so the nod goes to Sexjoke, who is no slouch in his own right. He’s a young player, coming into the league in S20, but already has nearly 500 TPE. Austin’s secondary is a concern, so they should look to bolster it with this young talent.

Kyle Idlewyld – DE – Kyle
This is a huge protection for Austin. Kyle is their best defensive lineman by a large margin, and he’s only in his second year. He amassed 15 TFLs and 8 sacks. He is a disruptive force that will apply essential pressure to opposing QBs, thus helping the secondary as it improves this season. In my eyes, this is arguably Austin’s most important protection.

SJS San Jose SaberCats

Auto-Protections:
Trey Staley – S – ckroyal92

Initial Protections:
Tyron Brackenridge – LB – lowlycrib
Tyron is the backbone of the Sabrecat defense, and one of only six people to record a safety this season. He was also 3rd in sacks, with an amazing 12, and added another 83 tackles. Tyron has another couple seasons before he starts regressing, so he will be a rock for this defense for years to come.

Dan Wright – QB – nickyvmlp
Wright is the only QB on the roster, and as such, gets the protection. His numbers last year were the worst of all QBs, but I don’t necessarily think he is entirely to blame. The team only has two non-bot receivers, and neither is at the caliber of most other WR1s in the league. The addition of TE Leon McDavid, who is exempt from being poached, will certainly help Wright, by providing a release valve if his receivers struggle to get open.

Action Jackson – WR – KillaScrilla
Jackson has some improving to do if he truly wants to be consistently on the same level as other team’s WR1s, but I can’t argue with the results from this year. He gained the second most receiving yards, with 1137, which was 42% of the team’s air yards. You can’t let that kind of production go. Assuming Thomas-Fox, SJ’s WR2, doesn’t get taken, this duo could further develop into one of the more potent in the league.

Brayden Ennis – DT – Buttersquach101
It shouldn’t come as a shock to say that the defensive line is the biggest issue for the Sabercats. However, Brayden is the bright spot in that unit. His 95 Strength allows him to out-muscle most offensive lineman, and get into the backfield. He got to the QB for 7 sacks this year, and if San Jose build properly in the draft, he could easily make that 10 next year. Even though he has been inactive for almost a month, SJS being without a defensive end on the roster makes Ennis a lock for protection.

Deondre Thomas-Fox – WR – AndrewWarren13
Protecting both Deondre and Jackson, and having the bonus of McDavid already being protected, will ensure that SJS have as many weapons as they can get for their QB. Deondre had nearly 800 yards this year on only 57 catches. With the right pieces in the draft and an off-season move or two, it’s not out of the realm of possibility for Deondre to be a 1000-yard receiver next year. He’s young and he earns well. He’ll be a great part of this offense as they move forward.

Inspectah Deck – LB – W.Sconnie
The final protection for SJS was pretty simple, but not for great reasons. Almost the entire secondary has been inactive for a long while. I couldn’t really justify keeping any of them protected, and some of them may be dropped soon anyway. All of that, should not shine a negative light on Deck, however. He may not be the highest earner, but he’s got TPE where it counts. He totaled 92 tackles on the season and even recorded a safety. That makes 2 for the SJS defense, out of a total 7. Not too shabby. If he can increase his earnings, deck will form a fantastic LB core that SJS can build a secondary around for the future.

ARI Arizona Outlaws

Auto-Protections:
Desmond Scarlett – CB - unicorn
Jamie Nkiah – S - Drizzy

Initial Protections:
Jay Cue – QB – Opera_Phantom
Jay is the leader of the Outlaw offense, and he isn’t going anywhere. His number were fantastic this season, throwing for 3500 yards and 21 TDs. He is, however, tied for second in the league with 10 INTs. The good news is, he’s young. And with another season of experience under his belt, he should be able to bring those down. Easy protection for Arizona.

Ruff Ruff – RB – shadowz
Ruff Ruff has been IA since February, so this is a bit of a complicated choice. However, he was 43 yards shy of a 1000-yard rushing season, and added 200 yards and 2 TDs in the air. Without another RB on the depth chart, Arizona is almost forced to use a protection here. But, with 100 Speed, you could do worse.

Saba Donut – WR – SabaDonutMan
Saba is another bright spot in the Outlaw offense. Hauling in 978 yards and 10 TDs on only 62 catches, Donut proved to be one of the best receivers in the league this year. If he stays active, he should hit the 1000 TPE milestone mid-year and could really make a run at being the top WR1 in the league.

Galf Wilf – LB – moosecop
Wilf was drafted in S20 and already has 539 TPE. This guy is an absolute beast. He is absolutely everywhere on the field. He racked up 106 tackles, 8 sacks, 8 pass defenses and even snagged a pick. If ever there was an essential defensive piece, this is it. No further questions, your honor.

Lucas Knight – CB – ven knight
With Scarlett and Nkiah also locked in, Arizona should look to stash away one of the crown jewels of their defense. Knight is a great player, and knows where to be to make the plays. As a corner, he managed 60 tackles, and, in a league where interceptions are scarce, he still recorded 2. Lucas will be entering regression this season, but as the veteran leader of this secondary, Arizona should feel comfortable using their last protection here.

Word Count: 3527

*NSFL Expansion Draft Protections - Dewalt27 - 04-06-2020

Great article but that Dewalt guy is terrible. My guess is Hawks leave him unprotected and eventually pay an expansion team to take him.

*NSFL Expansion Draft Protections - Drizzy - 04-06-2020

this is sick, great article

(04-06-2020, 07:40 PM)Drizzy Wrote:this is sick, great article

Thank you! Much appreciated.

(04-06-2020, 06:49 PM)Dewalt27 Wrote:Great article but that Dewalt guy is terrible. My guess is Hawks leave him unprotected and eventually pay an expansion team to take him.

Oh damn! I need to make an edit I guess lol.

*NSFL Expansion Draft Protections - thevoicelesscreator - 04-07-2020

Great article Russ! I know how much work you put into this, and it looks fantastic!

*NSFL Expansion Draft Protections - RussDrivesTheBus - 04-07-2020

(04-07-2020, 10:39 AM)thevoicelesscreator Wrote:Great article Russ! I know how much work you put into this, and it looks fantastic!

Thanks, voice! I definitely knew this would be hard, but once I started diving in, it was actually worse than expected! GMs have a ridiculous task at hand.