International Simulation Football League
*Podcast Mock Draft Update - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Podcast Mock Draft Update (/showthread.php?tid=21017)

*Podcast Mock Draft Update - Sylphreni - 04-11-2020

This Mock Draft is designed to be a follow up to a mock draft podcast I recorded with user Revuhlution, aka Chester Sweets of the Kansas City Coyotes. You can listen to the podcast here. This attempt to mock out the first five rounds of the upcoming NSFL draft will hopefully update our takes from that podcast, and illuminate some of the goings-ons in the league currently. Whilst I won’t be commenting on all the picks, I hope this mock gives some insight into what teams might be thinking as they make their picks. Worth noting when we did the podcast, it was primarily based on TPE earnings prior to the final update. With that new information, combined with scuttlebutt from around the league, I’m happy to bring you this five round Mock Draft.

Round 1

1: Austin Copperheads - Colt Mendoza, CB

I’m certainly not going against the grain with my first two picks.Current consensus across the league is Mendoza goes first overall to Austin who’s traded up to this pick for him. In our mock on the pod, I didn’t have control of Austin and Phat Boi went here. I expect that given the relationship between Mendoza and the Austin front office, this will be his landing spot.

2: New Orleans Second Line - Magnus Rikiya, DT

Much like the first pick, Magnus at the second pick is the consensus second pick overall., and I had it slated as such in our mock on the pod. The connection between Tesla and NOLA’s front office is obvious, and the fit for both sides is solid. NOLA adds a fantastic piece to their locker room.

3: Philadelphia Liberty - Tyler Oles Jr., CB

I had Oles mocked to Philly in our pod mock as well, and continue the trend here…. That said, this pick could go in a number of directions so it’s one to watch. Philly has a couple of players to consider here, and with a pick 3 spots later will want to weigh carefully who they expect Arizona and San Jose to select when picking here. Corner is a loaded position in this draft, so they might consider going elsewhere here, but it’s a position of need for Philly currently and I expect them to lock down the experienced Oles.

4: Arizona Outlaws - Stanislaw Koniecpolski, LB

I think this is the pick that defines the first round. You can literally mock a half dozen people to this pick, and I think it changes the landscape for the rest of the draft. Stanislaw seems to be a favorite of mock drafters in general, and Rev had him going here in the podcast mock draft. It will be interesting to see what exactly Arizona ends up doing here, but with so many holes on the roster to fill, they can’t go wrong.

5: San Jose Sabercats - Troenn Egghands, DE

I love this fit for San Jose, who desperately needs edge rushing help on the roster. There are other considerations with this pick, perhaps most notably de Ville, but I think Troenn is the pick here, and locks down the Sabercats front seven moving forward.

6: Philadelphia Liberty - Derred de Ville, LB

Between Oles and de Ville, Philly hits two home runs in the first round of this draft…. Adding solid, experienced locker room players. On the field, they add two top earners in positions of constant need in the league.

7: Honolulu Hahalua - Phat Boi, DT

Honolulu benefits from Autsin’s commitment to Mendoza at 1, and picks up the top TPE earner of the class. A huge snag for the expansion franchise. Also secures talent at a thinner position in this draft, freeing them up in later picks to take some shots.

8: Yellowknife Wraiths - Octavio Clemente, DT

Yellowknife desperately needs help on the defensive line with Giannis Kroustis hitting regression this year. They address this by taking the third DT off the board, and a top earner in Octavio Clemente.

9: Colorado Yeti - Thubba Bumper, CB

Rumors of the connection between Thubba Bumper and Colorado abound. Seems there’s a sentiment starting to roll out that perhaps he’s not the pick here…. Reeks of misdirection to me, expect Bumper to be the pick.

10: Baltimore Hawks - Matt Cross, S

Two way race for top Safety in this draft between Hellzapoppin and Matt Cross. On the pod I had Hellzapoppin going first, with Cross going in the second…. I’ve flipped it here after reflecting on that decision and considering I might have given too many points to Hellzapoppin for having a great name…. There’s a chance both go in the first, but I take Cross here for now.

11: Orange County Otters - Jeffrey Phillips

Rev stole Phillips from me in our pod mock draft for this pick, which annoyed me to no end. Phillips and Orange County is a hand in glove fit, and I think he ends up here. Replacing Johnny Blaze is big shoes to fill, but Orange County finds their long term replacement as 12.

12: New Orleans Second Line - Ben Slothlisberger, QB

I argued for NOLA not to take Sloth here on the pod, and I continue to think that’s the best course of action for them in this draft. That said, I expect they’ll make Sloth the first QB off the board and take him here…. NOLA, if you’re reading this, go for the value play!

Round 2

1: Honolulu Hahalua - Sandro Ryeu, DE

One of the biggest risers from the podcast mock, Ryeu climbs the board to go with the first pick in round 2. One thing I realized after completing our mock was the position scarcity of certain positions. DE and DT both thin out much faster than other positions, and teams have taken notice. Ryeu provides solid pass rush on the defensive line, and paired with Hono’s first round pick of Phat Boi, gives Honolulu one of the most fearsome front sevens in the league on day one.

2: Sarasota Sailfish - Deshun Jones, DT

Having seen multiple DTs go in the first, Sarasota takes one for themself in the second. There’s a small gap between Jones and the next DT selected…. Knowing that Sarasota makes a small reach and secures the position, freeing them up to look elsewhere later on in the draft.

3: Arizona Outlaws - Brandon Booker, CB

Booker is a player that I could easily see going in the first round, perhaps to Baltimore. That said, I think the amount of top tier talent at the position hurts him a bit, and he falls to round two. This draft is all about maximizing Arizona’s long term potential, and in Booker they find a lockdown corner to secure their backfield for the next 8 to 10 years.

4: San Jose Sabercats - Monty Jack, QB

Required GM pick here for the Sabercats as they secure their QB of the future.

5: Arizona Outlaws - Patrik Money, DE

Another big riser, from when we did the podcast mock draft. Patrik finds himself the benefactor of being an awesome guy, at a position of need for many teams. Some might feel this is a bit of a reach for the Kansas City Coyotes defensive end, but with massive locker room appeal, Arizona gets a good one with its second pick in the second round.

6: Philadelphia Liberty - Johnny Hellzapoppin, S

After considering taking Hellzapoppin in the first, Philly feels like they got an absolute steal nabbing him in the second round. Hellzapoppin will help fill the void Philly’s regressing safeties will eventually leave them with.

7: Austin Copperheads - White Goodman, RB

Austin nabs up another promising prospect in Goodman, who has a connection to their first overall pick, Colt Mendoza. The two picks solidify the face of Austin moving forward, giving them a strong locker room, full of experience.

8: Yellowknife Wraiths - Colby Jack, QB

Required GM pick here for the Wraiths as they secure their QB of the future.

9: Colorado Yeti - Lawrence Bass, LB

I feel like Bass is constantly overlooked in mocks, and I’m here to give the man some respect. He’s a top earner, at a position that doesn’t have a ton of depth in this draft after the first six or so options. I like Bass for Colorado here, fitting into their front seven quickly, and becoming a long term game changer for them.

10: Chicago Butchers - Benson Bayley Jr., LB

Required GM pick here for Chicago, but if they’re hoping to draft the person with the most knowledge on Taylor Swift and her career, they’ve found their guy.

11: Orange County Otters - Fawn Dilmibals, LB

Fawn combined with Bass and Bayley represent the second tier of LB in this draft. For Orange County, who currently has 3 LB’s on the roster, all either regressing or about to be; Fawn is an opportunity to bring some youth to that area of the defense while also securing its future production. Fawn’s a big riser here from when we recorded the podcast, but positional scarcity pushes him to the end of the second round, and right into the hands of the Otters. I think the Otters might have preferred Bass with this pick, but Fawn is an excellent consolation prize.

12:New Orleans Second Line - James Cho, DE

Perhaps the only man alive who can consistently give me a run for my money in Pokecord, Cho was easily the steal of our podcast mock draft, having fallen to the fifth round there. After we finishing drafting, both of us agreed Cho was far too low, and he’d most likely go a round or two earlier. I’m here to set the record straight now, and New Orleans gets a great player in the second round to pair with their second overall pick, Magnus Rikiya to create a devastating defensive line.

Round 3

1: Honolulu Hahalua - Andrew Witten, CB

Andrew is another big climber of the past week or so for me. He’s an incredible locker room guy, and very knowledgeable all around. As a new franchise looking to write their own history, Honolulu finds a great person to do it with in Witten.

2: Sarasota Sailfish - William Lim, WR

Sarasota is taking the best available offensive talent on the board with this pick. After passing on White Goodman last round, they take Lim here, the highest TPE earning player in this draft, and a lock for WR1 for years to come.

3: Baltimore Hawks - Eddie Jeeta, WR

Baltimore already has two receivers on the roster to take over for an aging Errol Maddox, but I’m a big believer in drafting to your strengths. Jeeta here represents too much of a value for the Hawks, and they take him happily at the beginning of the third.

4: San Jose Sabercats - Chester Sweets, CB

What can I say about the man, the myth, the legend that hasn’t already been said? Awesome guy, putting out incredible content. Looks to be a steal in this draft, only because of a loaded CB class. For San Jose he represents depth at CB, while offering the flexibility to play Safety as well, should they need it.

5: Arizona Outlaws - Heath Evans, TE

This is a bit of a luxury pick for the Outlaws, but with the massive amount of picks they find themselves with in this draft, Evans is a luxury the Outlaws can afford. Getting the second overall TE in the third round is a big win for Arizona, as they continue to add talent to their roster.

6: Philadelphia Liberty - Big Edd, DT

Philly finds a much needed anchor for their front seven in Big Edd. With only one defensive tackle on the roster who's now hitting regression, Philly desperately needs help at the position. Edd is a potential day one starter for them, an absolute TPE monster, and a great locker room guy…. Just don’t mention candy corn around him.

7: Honolulu Hahalua - Mo “Mamba” Magic, DT

After watching Big Edd go the pick before, Honolulu makes certain they lock down one of the last remaining top talent DT’s in this draft.

8: Yellowknife Wraiths - Haha Mango Panda, LB

Yellowknife's current LB core is a bit scattered. They have two players on the up, and one getting hit by regression. In Haha Mango Panda they find a long term fit for the position, a great locker room guy, and another rock for their front seven.

9: Colorado Yeti - Eldrick Avery, CB

The Yeti have a handful of aging CB’s on their roster. Avery provides them depth in the short term, and a long term option to pair with Louisiana Purchase. CB is deep in this draft, so the Yeti could continue to wait on filling this void, but Avery presents too good a value here in the third.

10: Baltimore Hawks - Slinky Claxton, DE

Some might find this to be a bit of a reach, and perhaps it is. Baltimore needs DE help, and with a large drop off between Claxton and the next guy on their board, they settle on him as their DE of the future.

11: Orange County Otters - Thomas Passman, WR

Orange County has a pretty loaded roster, so they're a bit spoiled for choice in this draft. One place they might look to improve is their WR corps. With Hugh Mungo due to hit regression after this coming season, they find a replacement in Passman who proved himself very capable during his season with the Tijuana Luchadores.

12: Sarasota Sailfish - Zamir Kehla, CB

Same exact pick as where he went on the pod, which I gave Rev a hard time for taking him here, but I agree with his reasoning. This late in the draft, a top TPE earner is nothing to sneeze at, and Sarasota continues filling out their roster with top tier talent, albeit with a few character question marks.

Round 4

1: Honolulu Hahalua - Acura Skyline, RB

This pick begins a run on fourth round RB’s. Honolulu has their pick of the litter, with Goodman off the board in the second, and I like Skyline for the pick. After a massive season in the DSFL, Skyline looks to build upon his legend as a day one starter for Honolulu.

2: Sarasota Sailfish - Kichwa Jones, RB

After watching Skyline go off the board the pick before, Sarasota doesn’t risk losing the next RB on their board and takes Jones here. They debate heavily between Jones and Nakamura for the pick, but in the end settle for a great locker room guy in Jones.

3: Arizona Outlaws - George “Corpse Grinder” Fisher, LB

“Corpse Grinder” is an awesome locker room guy for the Tijuana Luchadores, and will prove to be the same for Arizona. Really the last big LB on the board, Arizona snaps him up, not risking San Jose might take him with the next pick despite the run on RB’s here.

4: San Jose Sabercats - Tatsu Nakamura, RB
5: Arizona Outlaws - Cadillac Harris, CB
6: Austin Copperheads - Wesley Wrikson, S
7: Austin Copperheads - Calvin Golladay, OL

Having taken Mendoza first overall, Austin looks to capitalize on some of the work iStego has done on the offensive line in the league. Golladay is a top TPE earner for this class, and an incredible locker room presence and natural leader. As I said in the podcast, if Golladay would consider a position swap, I’d be looking to be taking him second round all day. Great pickup for Austin in the 4th.

8: Colorado Yeti - Daniel George, TE
9: Yellowknife Wraiths - Michael Witheblock, WR

Yellowknife could use some depth at their WR position, with Nate Swift now in regression hell. Witheblock is a fantastic value at the position, and a deal in comparison to where some of the other WRs went in this draft. Yellowknife is happy to add him here, and lock down their WR corps for the next 4-5 years.

10: Baltimore Hawks - Ben Stackinpaper, CB
11: Orange County Otters - Jim Waters, QB

As mentioned in their last pick, Orange County has the ability to get a little creative with their picks. With Franklin Armstong coming up on regression this season, the Otters look to take a project QB for the future. Waters is an active locker room member, and with a bit of grooming could prove to be a starting QB that falls right into OCO’s lap here at the end of the 4th.
12: New Orleans Second Line - Spike Suzuki, LB

Perhaps a bit of a reach here from New Orleans, but word is they like Suzuki, and it wouldn’t surprise if they reach a little bit here to take him. As far as LB’s go, he’s the last off the board I have for the first 5 rounds. With Johnny Slothface leaving the team for retirement, it makes sense for the title winning team to look to strengthen the position.

Round 5

1:Honolulu Hahalua - Susan Cash Jr., WR
2: Sarasota Sailfish - Sebastian Vettel, S
3: Arizona Outlaws - Eric Barlow, S
4: San Jose Sabercats - Jamar Lackson, RB
5: Arizona Outlaws - Richard Gilbert, RB

Perhaps the most slept on RB in the draft. Gilbert is a great locker room presence, and looks to be a potential RB1 for a team. He seems to get overlooked by some bigger names on draft boards, but I’m here to tell ya he should be in the same company as Jones and Skyline a round earlier.

6: Arizona.Outlaws - Nick Kaepercolin, WR
7: Austin Copperheads - Bruce Buckley, OL

Austin takes another OL here, their second of the draft. Don’t be surprised to see them take another one or two in later rounds as well.

8: Philadelphia Liberty - Byron Dolls, OL
9: Yellowknife Wraiths - Shawn Dawkins, S
10: Baltimore Hawks - Matthew McDairmid, K/P

Shoutout to “Matty Ice.” I say this because I took a shot at Rev for taking him in the 5th, and Matthew hit us up in the comments. I think everyone respects a little fight in their kicker… the guy who's gonna go for the tackle to stop the kick return going for a touchdown. The guy who talks trash to guys twice his size after pinning a punt inside the opposing 5 yard line. Matthew deserves to go in the fifth, with the fire he plays with… Draft this man.

11 : Orange County Otters - Tommy Sacamano, OL
12: Sarasota Sailfish - William Alexander, WR

Notes for the Grader:
  • Post Length: 3,016 words
  • Please apply the 1.5x media bonus. Thank you!