International Simulation Football League
*Seasons in Review - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Seasons in Review (/showthread.php?tid=21374)

*Seasons in Review - Toastydata - 04-19-2020

So, before I begin on what is admittedly a fairly large post, I just want to outline exactly what I'm doing here. I'm going to be reviewing each game, talking about important moments and plays, and of course, where we could have done better. The Coyotes went into this season coming off a 5 - 9 record. They built the team to be competitive, and with new expansion teams on the horizon, our best chance to pile on wins was here. I'm going to be sticking to the regular season for now, as the final playoff results made me sad. So let's get into it.

Week 1 BBB @ KCC 24 - 9

This was not an ideal start to the season. Time of possession shows how often we couldn't seal the deal. Unable to pick up first downs, the Coyotes had 270 punt yards. The defense played their heart out, but we let them down, scoring only 9 points.
While the game started well with an interception coming at the end of a long drive to get Myrtle Bay's offence off the field, the Kansas City offence stalled out and we were forced to settle for a field goal. The Buccaneers came out with a vengeance, and thanks to drive extending penalties, scored the first touchdown of the game to take the lead 7 - 3. The story of lacklustre offence would continue throughout the game with 5 drives ending 3 and out. It could have been six, if I hadn't lost possession and fumbled the ball. The second quarter of this game might very well be the worst football we played all season.

After halftime, we came back out ready and prepared, then promptly failed to deliver; frustrated by the Myrtle Bay defence at every turn we scored only a single touchdown against the eventual Ultimini winners. Overall, this game was a shock to us as we knew Myrtle Bay were good, but didn't expect to be thoroughly outplayed through all 4 quarters.

Offensive player of the game: BBB Frost D.
Defensive player of the game: KCC Ammons M.

Week 2 NOR @ KCC 6 - 21

Week 2 showed what we could do. The running back commitee totalled 176 yards and 3 touchdowns. An absolutely dominant ground game allowed the passing game to flow better, and the excellent Coyotes defence allowed only 6 points. While Norfolk may have struck first with a 27 yard field goal, they wouldn't score again until the fourth quarter. The Kansas City offence stepped up in this game, the difference between our play in week 1 versus this game was like night and day.

Kansas didn't have a single turnover in this game, while recovering a fumble from the Seawolves. O'Donohue was a standout player on the defensive side of the ball, racking up an impressive 11 tackles, 1 tackle for a loss and 4 passes defenced. Seemingly everywhere on the field at the same time, O'Donohue bullied Norfolk's offence.

This game really showed what a force our team could be when mistakes were minimised or removed entirely. The defence continued their excellent play, so playing almost the entire game with a lead takes pressure off the quarterback to lead a comeback, and just focus on playing to the best of his ability. Fujiwara was a great quarterback to learn under, that guy hands off the ball in a way no other qb can. We were all very excited to win our first game of the season, and bring our record back to .500.

Offensive player of the game: KCC Johnson T
Defensive player of the game: NOR Marshall S

Week 3 KCC @ POR 6 - 10

Our first away game was a fucking disaster. We had more penalty yardage than receiving yardage from our top tier receiver Eddie Jeeta. 11 penalties for 75 yards. God damn. I played horribly in this game too, averaging a measly 3.8 yards per carry. 3rd down effiency was awful for both teams, with a total of nine 3rd down completions. Out of 27! That's only 33%. Our defence and special teams play was the lone bright spot in this game for me. We sucked worse than a $6 hooker.

11 points would have won us this game. But we couldn't do it; we were far too busy shooting ourselves in the foot every time we had an opportunity. This game was depressing to watch. We're Kansas City, not the 80's Raiders. We're better than this, we don't play garbage football like this. I was by far the worst running back on the field. Maybe the coaches weren't watching by the end either, because I still have a job.

For me, the Pythons, who outclassed us utterly, became my biggest enemy in the DSFL on this day. I will destroy them given the opportunity. I'll get the opportunity later in the season, and fuck it up entirely. Maybe the gods are intent on dicking me down with this fucking team.

Offensive player of the game: POR Nakamura T
Defensive player of the game: KCC Bois J

Week 4 KCC @ DAL 46 - 14

This is more like it. An absolutely dominant performance in which the Coyotes outplayed Dallas in every phase of the game. This was my first 100 yard game, and I scored a touchdown in this entirely one sided rout.

Defensive stalwarts Blade Jr and O'Donohue had great games again, keeping the Dallas Birddogs to an honestly shocking 19:02 possession time. They also allowed a single 3rd down to be converted by the Dallas offence. That's right, Dallas had more interceptions in this game than 3rd down conversions. This was by far our strongest victory in the season, and this win brought the Coyotes back to the Andy Dalton line.

Our biggest weakness in this game was definitely 3rd down conversions as well. Kansas City finished the game with a 5/15 3rd down conversion rate. Not good at all. Penalties were another issue for the Coyotes in this game, with 5 penalties costing us 30 yards. Dallas was looking out for us though and thought they'd beat us in one area by finishing the game with 6 penalties for 46 yards.

Fujiwara averaged a shocking 15.5 yards per completion and a passer rating of 113. A truly excellent performance from the Kansas City quarterback.

Offensive player of the game: KCC Fujiwara C
Defensive player of the game: DAL Bayley Jr. B

Week 5 LON @ KCC 16 - 34

This game was important to us on the Kansas City Coyotes. It was the first time all season where we won two games in a row, and in fact would be the second win of a 4 game streak. Andrew Nova, a truly skilled speed back dominated again this game, finishing the day with 110 yards and 2 touchdowns. I managed to fumble the ball for the second time this season, but thanks to our amazing quarterback Chika and his chemistry with Nova we were never in danger of losing this game.

Eddie Jeeta had another fantastic game, averaging 15.5 yards per reception, which is frankly ridiculous. He scored a touchdown and was generally a scary presence on the field as he carved up opposing defences. Overall our receiving corps has been fantastic so far, and as Chika clicks with his new receivers more throughout the season, players like Jeeta and Gelbman just devasated defences.

The Royals played a strong game, but were ultimately let down by their defence. The offence couldn't capitalise on a slightly higher time of possesion and 3 interceptions finished the London team off. They certainly played hard, but mistakes will cost you the game in the DSFL.

Offensive player of the game: KCC Nova A
Defensive player of the game: KCC Dillmiballs F

Week 6 TIJ @ KCC 13 - 33

Another strong win for Kansas City, we actually went in to the locker room behind at half time. This was the best game I played all year, with 94 yards and 3 touchdowns, including a 46 yard lumbering run to seal it. Our 3rd down woes continued in this game, converting less than 50% again.

Our fantastic defence came up with another interception, 3 sacks and a safety. This defence is one of the best in the DSFL, and I expect the extremely competent Kansas City GMs to capitalise on that fact and continue building one of the scariest defences around.

The Luchadores suffered from multiple issues in this game, including poor quarterback play, (not you Slothlisberger, we love you bb) penalties and a defence that couldn't seem to stop the run. Andrew Nova ran for 162 yards in this game, significantly more than me, but I'm the goal line back, so I got the touchdowns this game. The Kansas City rushing attack this game combined for a total of 256 yards and 3 touchdowns. Between the pair of us, we averaged a nice 6.9 yards per carry.

Jeeta broke out hard in this game, slicing through the Tijuana Defence for 99 yards and a touchdown. He also had a 32 yard punt return.

Offensive player of the game: KCC Fakon K
Defensive player of the game: KCC Bois J

Week 7 KCC @ MIN 23 - 16

The last game in our 4 game win streak, this game was the closest out of all of them. The Grey Ducks are a strong team, and I was genuinely surprised how far they fell this season. Even still, they were a tough opponent. The Minnesota defence fought hard to keep their team in the game, but Kansas City wanted it more. The 3 way receiving core of Witheblock, Jeeta and Gelbman were outstanding in this game, with Witheblock and Jeeta averaging over 12 yards per reception.

Andrew Nova was very uncharacteristically shut down in this game. One of the fastest men in the DSFL, he's almost impossible to catch, and if he gets into the open field, you're in serious trouble. That being said, I had a good game; 88 yards and a touchdown helping the team get the win. Strong defence and and a fantastic kicker/punter in Lefty Louis.

The Grey Ducks resident Nice Boi, Sim Snowbow was held to 1 completion out of 6 attempts. Vega, the starter didn't realistically do much better. Our defence helped keep our offence on the field. If time of possession had been reversed, Minnesota would have won this game.

Offensive player of the game: KCC Witheblock M
Defensive player of the game: MIN Sackson Senior S

Week 8 KCC @ BBB 14 - 26

This time we played the Buccaneers at Myrtle Bay. We played them a lot harder and closer than in week 1, but we still couldn't seal the deal, eventually losing to them a third time in the Ultimini.

Our 3rd down efficiency being the opposite of efficient bit us in the ass again this week. 3/12 is just unacceptable if you expect to win, especially against a team as talented as Myrtle Bay. Penalties were also an issue in this game for Kansas City; six penalties costing us 35 yards.

The Coyote running game, which has been pretty reliable all season failed to really get off the ground in this game. The Bucccaneers won this game on time of possession and a truly dominant ground game that totalled 289 yards and 1 touchdown. Our defence gave us a chance to win once again, but we were unable to beat the Buccccaneers once again.

On a personal note, I had another really bad game in Myrtle Bay, but I'm gonna beat these guys in the coming season. I'm ready, I just hope they are. Bucccccs.

Offensive player of the game: BBB Frost D

Week 9 KCC @ NOR 23 - 21

Penalties almost cost us this game. 10 penalties for 81 yards. Penalties solidly outperformed me though, as my 37 yards was a very solid "I showed up to work today" performance. I did score a touchdown but was left overall disappointed by my play in week 9. Luckily Nova was there to run for over 100 yards for the 37th time this season.

The Kansas City Coyotes defence put in another strong performance, keeping Jedi Master Luke Skywalker to a qbr of 60.2. That's pretty impressive to shut down an actual space wizard like that, so kudos once again to the D. Without you we don't win. This game was much closer than our first matchup, but the Coyotes carried me to another victory.

I feel that special teams needs a mention at this point. I know I haven't really talked about them at all, but they balled out like always, and helped keep us in this. Lefty Louis is a beast. he's been extremely accurate and this week was no exception, with a single rare miss. The Norfolk runnning game was very strong. One play could have changed the outcome of the game, but this time, we came away victorious. Fear the Howl.

Defensive player of the game: NOR Suzuki S

Week 10 POR @ KCC 14 - 20

Another close game, the Kansas City Coyotes passing game struggled severely. Unfortunately for Portland, the Coyotes running game did not struggle. At all. 244 yards on the ground was enough to help the team keep possession. Notably, the offence couldn't do any better than getting Lefty Louis into postion to make field goals during the second half.

For once, our opponent was the one shooting themselves in the foot with penalties, racking up 8 for 75 yards. Chika Fujiwara had perhaps his worst game ever, going 9/21 with 74 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. For Chika, the usually reliable quarterback, this resulted in a qbr of 28.8.

I think John Bois and Blade Jr won us this game. The always strong Kansas City defence held up like they always do, keeping the win away from Portland.

Overall, the Pythons offence struggled to ever get off the ground, the game was only close because of mistakes and missed opportunities from Kansas City. I played well enough, but I think I could have done a lot better. Tackling machine Gregor Macgregor had a great game, but even that beast of a man can't carry a whole team.

Defensive player of the game: POR Macgregor G

Week 11 DAL @ KCC 24 - 30

Another one score game, but Kansas City came away with the win in the end. Despite almost letting Dallas come back in the fourth quarter, we got the win. Our defence played lights out as always, and Nova had a fantastic game, racking up good rushing yardage and a 48 yard punt return touchdown.

Both teams performances were very similar; the main difference makers were Nova's punt return touchdown and Fawn Dillmiballs' 32 yard pick 6. without those big plays, we don't win this one. Penalties weren't a major issue this game, with only 3 for 35 yards. Really good 3rd down efficiency continued to elude the Coyotes on this one, with Kansas City converting less than 50% once again.

Chika Fujiwara was back to his usual form, throwing a football over them there mountains. Finishing the day with a perfectly respectable 84.2 qbr, We knew our qb was back. It probably helped that Chika was properly protected and didn't take a single sack this week.

Lefty Louis deserves his own mention as well, he missed only a single field goal this week, and his accurate and powerful leg continues to perform.

Offensive player of the game: KCC I know Lefty is a special teamer, but he deserves this one

Week 12 KCC @ LON 20 - 10

Week 12 saw us Coyotes equaling our four game winstreak from earlier in the season. The running back commitee dominated on field again, totalling 211 yards and 2 touchdowns. I find working with Nova to be great, the combo of a speed back and a power back is extremely effective, and many run defences may be ready for one of us; they're almost never able to stop us both.

Dillmiballs and O'Donohue continued this week to be a really solid defensive core for the team. They accounted for 25 tackles this week. The entire rest of our defence had 27 tackles total.

Penalties. Why do we commit so many of them? 10 penalties for 85 yards for the second time in a season is not a good sign. We need to be more disciplined and stop making these mistakes. That comes down to experience and coaching. Since Kansas City has a fantastic front office and staff, I expect that we will be able to iron out these wrinkles in our game.

We seem to perpetually struggle on 3rd down, regularly struggling to convert even 50% on any given day. We've gone into the offseason ready to work on all of our issues and flaws, and come back stronger in these areas next season.

Offensive player of the game: LON Skyline A
Defensive player of the game: LON Deville D

Week 13 KCC @ TIJ 9 - 13

A tough loss so deep in the season. We ran for more yards, passed for more yards, had 22 first downs, won the time of possession battle and converted 6/17 3rd downs. Which of these stats is not like the others? I've harped on about this quite a bit over this review, and I'm going to say it again. As a team, we need to be converting a lot more 3rd downs, because it is costing us wins. Jameis Winston is hungry. He needs to be fed those W's. I'm one of the main offenders here; I'm not blaming the rest of the team. The amount of 3rd downs I've failed to convert this season is frustrating.

Nova and I ran well together again this game, but were unable to find the endzone. Our Oline has been good this year, but we need improvements. Our QB may be going to the NSFL, so that's a serious need. I wish Chika all the success in the world, I would just prefer to share it with him.

Looking forward to next season playing against these guys, I suspect they are going to have good success moving forward, especially if they develop that hot new young quarterback they've been working on this season.

Offensive player of the game: TIJ Barker E
Defensive player of the game: TIJ Dissector U

Week 14: MIN @ KCC

The Seattle Riot just weren't ready for Minnesota to come into their house and take the win from them. I let The Riot down this week, and for that Seattle, I am sorry. Andrew Nova was absolutely beastly again this week, racking up an impressive 144 yards and 38 yard run all the way to the house.

I think the Grey Ducks just outplayed us this week unfortunately. There wasn't much I could point at as being the root cause other than Minnesota being better on the day.

Michael Witheblock averaged a spectacular 18.2 yards per reception this week and was one of many excellent performers on the Seattle Riot side. Honestly, I feel like I let the team down. I'm a better player than what I showed today, and I plan to show it next season.

Offensive player of the game: KCC Jeeta E
Defensive player of the game: KCC Otle C

If you've made it this far, I commend you and thank you for reading. I'll be going more in depth on the Coyotes playoff run in the next day or two, so don't miss that.

Fear the howl KCC

*Seasons in Review - Booger - 04-19-2020

Great write up! I’ve been thinking about doing something like this but have always been to lazy. Awesome to see you making that money!