International Simulation Football League
Obligatory GM picks - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: Obligatory GM picks (/showthread.php?tid=21394)

Pages: 1 2 3

Obligatory GM picks - mithrandir - 04-19-2020

Disclaimer: I am operating under the principle that no team should be given extra draft picks for free.

In the most recent DSFL draft, the San Jose Sabercats traded their second round pick to New Orleans in exchange for NOLA's second and 2 7th rounders. While this trade may seem fair in practice, as NOLA got to move up and take their QB Slothlisberger and SJS got to acquire more picks, I think SJS exploited a loophole which gave them an unfair advantage. With obligatory GM picks, you must always take the GM with your highest draft pick in the second round. In the case of SJS, this should have been pick 17. Instead, they moved down to pick four, assuming no risk of losing the prospect they wanted because no other team was allowed to take them. Essentially, they received two seventh round picks for free. In principle, every trade should have value gained and value lost that is roughly equivalent. For NOLA, they gained the benefit of moving up, and lost the pair of seventh rounder. SJS assumed no loss in value, only a gain, since no other team could take QB Jack.

I propose that we close this loophole by forbidding teams from trading back in the second round to acquire more value if they have a GM in that draft class. Otherwise, more teams will catch on to SJS's strategy and we will start seeing every team with a GM in the draft class trying to trade back in order to acquire free draft picks.

Edit: After discussion with several people I have a few responses:
1. The "golden rationalization" (everybody does it) is a fallacy and should not factor into this argument.
2. Saying that anyone can trade up for the GM slot pick does not change the fact that a team has to give up value to a team that is not losing value.
3. Whether or not the seventh round picks turn out to be good players should have no bearing on this ruling, that was simply the most recent example.
4. The GMs will never vote on a rule that limits their power, so this will never happen.

Obligatory GM picks - caltroit_red_flames - 04-19-2020

One person would say they exploited it, another would say they were smart about it.

I think this is a thing doesn't need fixing. It just is what it is.

Obligatory GM picks - gucci - 04-19-2020

Maybe you’re on to something. However, GMs all have players as well, making it equal opportunity for teams to exercise this in their draft year. GMs also make up the majority of the voting pool for rule changes and will likely not want to give up the power to move back and get the same player, so I don’t see anything being done about this one.

Obligatory GM picks - gucci - 04-19-2020

Maybe you’re on to something. However, GMs all have players as well, making it equal opportunity for teams to exercise this in their draft year. GMs also make up the majority of the voting pool for rule changes and will likely not want to give up the power to move back and get the same player, so I don’t see anything being done about this one.

Obligatory GM picks - ScorpXCracker - 04-19-2020

Obligatory GM picks - Sermokala - 04-19-2020

In a vacuum, I think this is an exploit and should be banned. However, considering the ramifications of a trade like that I don't think its too much of a problem. At the end of the day they're spending a second and the leverage the team has trading up is such that I believe we should trust gm's and their war rooms to advise against offering up too much in that trade.

Obligatory GM picks - White Cornerback - 04-19-2020

let us keep other gm players hostage

Obligatory GM picks - mithrandir - 04-19-2020

(04-19-2020, 07:26 PM)White Cornerback Wrote:let us keep other gm players hostage

While this is extreme, I like this much more in the case of players who claim that they'll only play for one team.

Obligatory GM picks - White Cornerback - 04-19-2020

(04-20-2020, 12:28 AM)mithrandir Wrote:While this is extreme, I like this much more in the case of players who claim that they'll only play for one team.

exactly, gm players are the second most people I hate next to people who say they will hold out unless they get their ways unless they are me

Obligatory GM picks - Symmetrik - 04-19-2020

(04-19-2020, 08:04 PM)mithrandir Wrote:Otherwise, more teams will catch on to SJS's strategy and we will start seeing every team with a GM in the draft class trying to trade back in order to acquire free draft picks.

This isn’t something new to sim leagues, every leagues has something to acquire your GM and everyone knows to try and trade back. Sometimes it is disadvantageous to trade back (if you have 2 picks at the top of the 2nd for instance). But GMs everywhere have been doing this for a long time, it’s not SJS’s strategy and it shouldn’t be new to NSFL GMs.