International Simulation Football League
*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? (/showthread.php?tid=21408)

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - Cheech65 - 04-19-2020

Though not as directly as in the real life NFL, the NSFL Scouting Combine is a great metric that can demonstrate a player’s abilities on the field, based on their personal stats. And, with both the results from the S22 Combine and the results from the S22 draft officially posted up, I decided to see whether or not there is any form of correlation.

I will conduct this test by comparing the (relatively) objective Top 10 at each position from the S22 Combine with the first 10 players drafted at that position in the S22 Draft.

-The Setup-

284 players were entered into the draft, but a total of 286 players competed in the 2037 Combine (don’t ask me where the other 2 went; I don’t know).
Of those 286, there were:
• 14 QBs
• 20 RBs
• 33 WRs
• 25 TEs
• 12 OLs
• 12 K-Ps
• 40 LBs
• 71 DBs
• 59 DLs

Combine event scores are calculated using players’ stats, or combinations of said stats. The combine tests in the following events, listed here with their respective input stats.
• 40-yard dash [Speed, Endurance]
• Bench press (225 lb repetitions) [Strength, Endurance]
• Vertical jump [Strength]
• Broad jump [Strength]
• 20-yard shuttle [Speed, Endurance, Agility, Strength]
• 3 cone drill [Speed, Agility, Endurance, Strength]
• The Wonderlic test [Intelligence]

By position, the most important stats (applicable to the combine) are generally accepted as:
• QB – Intelligence, Agility, Speed, Endurance
• RB – Speed, Endurance, Strength
• WR – Speed, Endurance, Agility, Strength, Intelligence
• TE – Speed, Strength, Endurance, Intelligence
• OL – Strength, Endurance, Agility, Speed
• K-P – Endurance? Strength?
• LB – Strength, Speed, Endurance
• DB – Speed, Endurance, Agility
• DL – Strength, Speed

As evidence, here are the calculated averages by position for each of the tested events:
[Image: NeUeZNL.png]

The evidence clearly suggests that players in positions which require certain stats to be at a higher level perform better in events reliant on those stats. Therefore, due to their prominence in that position, they are more likely to be drafted early, or at least that’s the idea.

This may seem relatively obvious, but bear with me. It’s all part of the logical process I’m putting together here.

- Results-

The following will list, by position, the Top 10 placers at the Combine and then the Top 10 picks in the S22 Draft at that position:

QB
[Image: c0j6sz3.png]

RB
[Image: 1HVqjgm.png]

WR
[Image: Lp8YAYr.png]

TE
[Image: fo8Zntl.png]

OL
[Image: mRIzTpD.png]

K-P
[Image: u8OUm6c.png]

LB
[Image: WhZos3d.png]

DB
[Image: cDktZJT.png]

DL
[Image: iNyPaex.png]

-Analysis & Conclusion-

In the end, there was a mixed bag.

At QB, 8 of the top Combine prospects were drafted in the first 10 Draft picks, with Dude Doggo and Allen Spooner being replaced by Swift Wily and Cavalier Craighorn, who were 12th and 11th in the Combine, respectively. The order of draft picks differed slightly, with Ben Slothlisberger going 1st, rather than 4th, while Jim Waters dropped from 3rd in the Combine to the 8th in the Draft. Luke Skywalker maintained his Combine rank, being the 5th QB to be drafted.

At RB, 9/10. Aaron Feels (11th in the Combine) bumped Kevin Fakon from the first 10 in the Draft. The first 4 are identical save for Tatsu Nakamura and Acura Skyline switching. The rest is a scramble as no one maintained their Combine rank.

At WR, again 9/10. Like at RB, 11th and 10th switched, with Kevin Koh being drafted before Mike Lee. Also, like at RB, the first 4 picks are identical except for William Lim and Eddie Jeeta switching places. Once again, no one maintained their Combine Rank.

At TE, 8/10 from Combine to Draft. The top 5 this time were the same, besides Daniel George and James Angler switching to 4th and 3rd, respectively. Tristian Hex and Clark Boyd (14th and 17th) replaced Rondo Jones and Shawn Ansari (9th and 10th) in the draft. Similarly to QB, the 5th position remained the same with Donatello Arrabiata maintaining his position.

At OL, 9/10 were the same, with the top 5 being perfectly identical. Sylvester Berlin fell from 6th at the Combine to 8th at the Draft, and Jorcher Minor and James Carson bumped up accordingly. Fernando Cruz maintained his position at 9th while Gabe Nixon (12th) took Toshihide Matsumoto's 10th slot.

At KP, we have the first 10/10, although the order changed dramatically. Only Matthew McDairmid (1st), Jacob Small (4th), and Willis Cannon (10th) held their initial positions.

At LB, another 9/10 as Dex Kennedy (11th at the Combine) takes the 10th Draft slot, bumping out Mark Radson. Stanislaw Koniecpolski and Derred de Ville maintained 1 and 2, respectively, but the rest of the ranks were scrambled by the Draft.

At DB, a unique situation. 7 of the top 10 at the Combine were in the first 10 Draft picks. However, Colt Mendoza took 1st from back in 14th. Matt Cross and Brandon Booker were bumped to 2nd and 3rd, respectively. The rest of the order was shot, but this can only be attributed to the depth of the position at the Combine, as it boasted by far the largest pool at 71 players.

At DL, another 7/10. Magnus Rikiya was the first picked in the Draft, moving from 5th at the Combine. Phat Boi was bumped down to 2nd. The rest was scrambled by the addition of Big Edd at 6th from 11th, as well as Patrik Money and Slinky Claxton taking 9th and 10.

So, it would appear that no, the Combine does NOT indicate Draft position. But you might get close, just don't count on it.

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - morsy - 04-20-2020

Interesting read for everyone who can read. Some of those Wonderlic scores are just... ugh.

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - FurFurFurson - 04-20-2020

Where do you find the combine results?

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - caltroit_red_flames - 04-20-2020

I feel like we need to get K/P's on some sort of health regiment because they're gonna disintegrate into nothing at some point. Lowest bench and speed numbers gotta be scrawny as all hell

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - Toastydata - 04-20-2020

Looks at my Wonderlic score of 3 Yay! I almost came first, we'll get 'em next time

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - caltroit_red_flames - 04-20-2020

(04-20-2020, 03:33 PM)Toastydata Wrote:Looks at my Wonderlic score of 3 Yay! I almost came first, we'll get 'em next time

idk wtf that is in your sig but I love it

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - TomHanks - 04-21-2020

(04-20-2020, 04:52 PM)FurFurFurson Wrote:Where do you find the combine results?

Right here! https://sim-football.com/wiki/index.php?tit...couting_Combine

*Does the Scouting Combine Affect Draft Placement? - Toastydata - 04-21-2020

(04-21-2020, 07:38 AM)caltroit_red_flames Wrote:idk wtf that is in your sig but I love it

That's Kevin Fakon, and he's beautiful. I'm really not sure how to beat this render when i do a recreate. Powdered Toast Man from Ren and Stimpy is where the base image comes from