International Simulation Football League
*A National Simulation Football League Retrospecti - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A National Simulation Football League Retrospecti (/showthread.php?tid=21633)

*A National Simulation Football League Retrospecti - Jangorhino - 04-25-2020

I’m writing this piece about sacks because my player is a DE and sacks may be where he has the greatest impact in the National Simulation Football League with the Liberty in Season 23 and beyond. The things I’d like to learn regarding sacks are, the history of the stat in the National Simulation Football League, who the greatest sacks artists have been in the league, and what positions have generated the most sacks. The year over year sack totals seems value added for this discussion, in an attempt to highlight any trends. Additionally, some insight from a league source, TimeConsumer, into blitz rate changes and other sack specific rule changes will be discussed. The purpose of looking into the changes is to try and correlate the changes and subsequent statistical trends and potentially help my player be better and help my team win. The retrospective now continues with a look at blitz rate and other rule changes.

Before we get into the weeds, I’m obliged to shout out a couple people who helped me with this media. As previously mentioned, TimeConsumer was awesome in support of this research and provided integral insight into historical blitz rates and other sack related rule changes. Without TimeConsumer’ s input, this portion of the research and analysis would’ve been impossible. Apparently, there are no records maintained of the blitz rate adjustments and other rule changes from early league days. Thanks again TimeConsumer, you made this possible. Along With TimeConsumer, Woelkers was very helpful, it was his idea to look at blitz rate and rule changes with an eye on their statistical impact in relation to sacks. Thanks boys! Alright, please reference the following table moving on to rest of the discussion. The table is data harvested from the National Simulation Football League Indices. The table is broken out by seasons in the first column. The table is then broken down by position in the subsequent columns, followed by a grand total column for the corresponding year.

[Image: QllzIQj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]

The insight from TimeConsumer was, Season 1 was weird and he was spot on. For whatever reason, sacks in Season 1 were lower than they’d be in the following ten seasons. The next TimeConsumer input was how from Season 2 through Season 7 the blitz rate was around 75% max blitz. This input definitely coincides with steadily increasing sack totals throughout those seasons. Per TimeConsumer, in Season 7 Nickel 75 became a big meta and then it was nerfed. The Season 7 sack totals definitely increased dramatically in Season 7. Just as dramatically as they increased in Season 7 because of the Nickle 75 defense, the sack totals decreased in Season 8. The Nickel 75 Defense and its subsequent nerfing definitely had a dramatic impact on sack totals. Season 8 saw the Nickel 75 nerfed and also the Defensive Linemen weights were nerfed going into Season 8. These two rule changes contributed to the largest year over year decrease in sacks in league history.

The third largest year over year decrease in sacks occurred between Season 3 and Season 4. According to TimeConsumer, heading into Season 4 Offensive Line bots were instituted league wide. Arguably, this was the most impactful single rule changed effecting sacks in league history.

The second largest year over year drop in sack totals is actually a mystery. There was no insight from TimeConsumer on the precipitous sack total drop from Season 11 to Season 12. The only explanation was perhaps Season 1 big dick Defensive Lineman had retired. This wraps up the look into blitz rate and rule changes effecting sack totals and the discussion continues with a look into player sack totals.

Nine of the top eleven single season sack totals happened prior to the dramatic changes of Season 8. Two of the remaining three season high totals were from Season 9. Remarkably, R. Vans was able to get into the discussion with an anomalous nineteen sacks in Season 16 with one fewer games played than everyone ahead of him on the list. Vans’ Season 16 performance is the only performance after Season 8 to crack the top twenty in season sack totals. In Season 21, M. Berry amassed an impressive sixteen sacks. M. Berry’s sixteen sacks in Season 21 is the only performance within the last four seasons to crack the top forty all-time single season sack totals. The following is a table illustrating the top eleven single season sack performances all time with the season in which they occurred as well as the number of games played. Next, we’ll take a look a career sack totals.

Season
S3 Tuck, J. DE ARI 32 14
S3 Miller, D.DT SJS 24 14
S2 Tuck, J. DE ARI 23 14
S3 Björnsson, B. DE YKW 23 14
S7 Winchester, A. LB OCO 23 14
S3 King, G. DT ARI 22 14
S7 Flock, R.SS PHI 19 14
S7 Clegane, G.DT OCO 19 14
S9 Miller, D.DT COL 19 14
S9 King, G. DT NO 19 14
S16 Vans, R. LB AZ 19 13

The career sack total top eleven has some familiar names as well as some unfamiliar names. D.Miller is the career sack record holder in addition to being the second highest single season record holder. Oddly enough, through my Indices research, I was able to discover some glitch in the matrix. For whatever reason, J. Tuck’s Season 5 game statistics are nowhere to be found. Even with that being the case, J. Tuck is second on this list and holds a five sack lead over the next highest on the list. Coincidentally, D. Miller and J. Tuck are both first and second in career and single season sack totals, though the pair swap places in the different categories. Remarkably, D. Miller is the career sack leader, and he played in fourteen fewer games than J. Tuck. There was actually a bit of confusion when trying to write this article. In league history there were two different J. Tucks, and it took some sorting out to figure out who was who.

As the only player still active as of Season 21 and with only 120 games played, T. Skarsgard could easily be expected to break into the top three all time in career sack totals. Included in the following table is the top eleven career sack totals along with the seasons they played as well as their games played totals. The discussion will then continue into wit5h a look into some data trends which were revealed during the research conducted here.

Career
Miller, D. DT 132 S1-S9 126
Tuck, J.DE 114* S1-S20 140
Winchester, A. LB. 109 S4-S12 126
Ernston, H.LB 108 S1-S9 126
Hendrix, K. DE 101 S2-S11 140
King, G.DT 98*. S2-S12 138
Lee, J.LB 92 S2-S20 233
Skarsgard, T. DT 92 S14-S21 120
Clegane, G.DT 83 S4-S12 126
O'Sullivan, J. LB 83 S3-S13 154
Roenick, A. LB 83 S6-S17 152
*no season 5 in index

There certainly is some interesting data trends with year over year sack totals. In the early days of the league, sack totals steadily increased until Season 3 when OL bots were instituted. The sack totals then drastically dropped in Season 4 and again, though less dramatically, in Season 5. Season 6 saw sack totals begin to rise again. The sack totals in Season 7 reached an all-time high. Then, into Season 8 with the most sweeping reform ever in place, season sack totals dropped precipitously. Season 9 saw the totals begin to rise again every year until Season 12. As previously mentioned, Season 12 sack totals are reduced by the second largest amount in league history. Through Season 15, the sack totals remained fairly stable. Season 16 sack totals rise to approximately three hundred and fifty, and the sack totals have remained at roughly that level since. This discussion will now come to a conclusion.

In conclusion, having learned a bit about sacks and the greatest single season and career totals I believe I’m now ready to partake in informed and valuable locker room conversation as well as prepare my player my thoroughly. All of this stuff will further enrich my experience in the league as well as make me a better contributor with a richer appreciation of the great players who came before Mario. A more in-depth analysis may be required to fully understand the art of the sack in the National Simulation Football League. Specifically, looking at the trend in sack total by position year over year and as they relate to the impact of blitz rate and rule changes could yield useful information.

Thanks for reading this yall! hopefully I did the topic justice. JR

*A National Simulation Football League Retrospecti - timeconsumer - 04-25-2020

There are two J Tucks. He didn't play for 20 seasons.

One J Tuck is a safety and the other is a DL. Are you saying there are two DL J. Tucks?

*A National Simulation Football League Retrospecti - 37thchamber - 04-25-2020

(04-25-2020, 07:18 AM)Jangorhino Wrote:One J Tuck is a safety and the other is a DL. Are you saying there are two DL J. Tucks?
Yes.

Ja'Brill Tuck is listed as a DE released by the SaberCats in the season 17 index

"Preseason Week 1, 2032: The San Jose SaberCats have released Ja'Brill Tuck - DE."

If you go through the previous few seasons, you can see a DE J. Tuck on their roster whose rating stays a consistent 81 OVR for a number of seasons.

There are actually four J. Tucks in league history: Jayce Tuck (DL), Jaxon Tuck (RB), Ja'Brill Tuck (DE) and Jorel Tuck (FS)

(04-25-2020, 08:17 AM)37thchamber Wrote:Yes.

Ja'Brill Tuck is listed as a DE released by the SaberCats in the season 17 index

"Preseason Week 1, 2032: The San Jose SaberCats have released Ja'Brill Tuck - DE."

If you go through the previous few seasons, you can see a DE J. Tuck on their roster whose rating stays a consistent 81 OVR for a number of seasons.

There are actually four J. Tucks in league history: Jayce Tuck (DL), Jaxon Tuck (RB), Ja'Brill Tuck (DE) and Jorel Tuck (FS)

Actually, I’m not concerned with an offensive player for the purpose of this article, but thanks for trying to help.

I’ve gone through what I have to figure out who’s who between the two defensive linemen named J Tuck. I’ve edited the article. Thanks!

(04-25-2020, 05:45 AM)timeconsumer Wrote:There are two J Tucks. He didn't play for 20 seasons.

Article updated. Thanks for the help!