International Simulation Football League
*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 (/showthread.php?tid=21880)

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - Cheech65 - 05-03-2020

Over the course of the NSFL’s past 21 seasons players have set such a standard that, out of respect, no other may don their jersey number. There are currently 21 such retired numbers across 6 NSFL teams.

The Colorado Yeti lead the pack with 6 retired numbers. COL

Number 41- Boss Tweed

Boss Tweed played for Kansas in college before entering the NSFL Draft in S1. He was selected by the Yeti in the 17th round at 99th overall. From S1 to S6, Tweed proved himself to be a workhorse of a running back, and a legend in the making. He was a model back, with consistent season totals of well over 1000 rushing yards. Additionally, he was often the league leader in total carries, hitting a career high of 400 in S3. Ahead of S7, Tweed was traded away to the Yellowknife Wraiths, where he switched positions to linebacker. It was with the Wraiths that he would win his only Ultimus in S8. Across his career, Tweed played in 6 Pro Bowls and was granted the award for Defensive Player of the Year, Linebacker of the Year and Top Performance of the Year. Tweed was inducted into the NSFL Hall of Fame in the S12 Class. On top of that, the Colorado Yeti chose Tweed as their first entrant into their Ring of Honor, and with that selection, decided to retire the number 41 for their team. He continues to work within the Yeti organization as Director of Player Personnel as well as the Running Backs Coach.

[Image: 7hc5Gid.png]

Number 58- Johnathon Saint

Johnathon Saint played in college for UMD before entering the NSFL Draft where he was drafted by the Colorado Yeti in the 10th round, 58th overall. A stellar linebacker, Saint played for the Yeti his entire career, from S1 to S10. He never missed a game in that time, and was the example of a defensive player. To this day, he still holds the franchise records for career tackles and forced fumbles at 963 and 14, respectively. Those numbers still put him in the Top 10 all-time for those categories. He also is the 9th all-time best for career sacks at 80. He has won the Linebacker of the Year Award once, but appeared in 8 Pro Bowls over his career. Saint was inducted into the NSFL Hall of Fame following his retirement, and like Boss Tweed, he was also inducted into the Yeti’s Ring of Honor, resulting in the retirement of his number 58.

[Image: g2owcfM.png]

Number 23- Andre Bly Jr.

Andre Bly Jr. started his career playing for the Florida Gators, before playing for the Kansas City Coyotes in the DSFL. He entered the NSFL Draft ahead of S5 and was drafted 2nd overall by the Colorado Yeti. The cornerback would become an invaluable asset for the team. By the time he retired, Bly had amassed outstanding numbers, including 754 INT return yards, 8 defensive TDs, 8400 kick return yards, 4 kick return TDs, and 33 INTs. On top of that, Bly is a 2x Ultimus Champion, as well as a 1x Defensive Back of the Year, and an 8x Pro Bowler. Bly was inducted into the NSFL Hall of Fame in the S19 Class, and was also inducted in the Yeti Ring of Honor. After, they retired his number 23.

[Image: 3v3hIWs.png]

Number 44- Haruki Ishigawa

Haruki Isigawa was born in Tokyo, but eventually attended West Virginia University. In the S4 NSFL Draft he was selected 3rd overall by the Colorado Yeti, where his skills as a linebacker were put on display. He played in the S7 Pro Bowl, and in the same year was awarded as the NSFL Breakout Player of the Year. Over his relatively short career, Ishigawa made 480 tackles, 43 pass deflections, 5 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, and 38 sacks. Though not an NSFL Hall of Famer, Ishigawa’s contributions to the Yeti were rewarded by his induction into the Ring of Honor and the retirement of his number 44. He continues his work with the Yeti today, as their Linebackers Coach as well as their Head Strength and Conditioning Coach.

[Image: jPJo3or.png]

Number 32- Micycle McCormick

Micycle McCormick started as a soccer player, but managed to walk on as the kicker at Rutgers University. Although enrolled for 6 years, he managed to only play for 4 seasons due to redshirts. Eventually, he was drafted by the Kansas City Coyotes, and eventually was drafted in the S6 NSFL draft by the Colorado Yeti as the 18th overall pick. In S7, McCormick managed an extremely efficient kicking season, not missing any extra point or field goal attempts. This garnered him Kicker of the Year, as well as Punter of the Year and Player-Voted MVP. He would go on to win both Punter of the Year two more times, although once sharing. After the S10 Ultimus, McCormick suffered an injury to his foot, effectively retiring him as a kicker. However, the recently vacant slot at QB was open, and he gracefully made the transition over. For the next five seasons, he was the Yeti’s starting QB, albeit to little franchise success. By the end of his career, McCormick had a field goal PCT was 93%, his extra point PCT was %95.7, and he managed 20,852 passing yards with 131 touchdowns. He currently works in the Yeti HO as VP of Football Operation, after a tumultuous time in which he served as the Kicking Coach, Head Coach, and nearly owner. He was inducted into the NSFL Hall of Fame in the S19 Class, after which his number 32 was retired by the Yeti.

[Image: ClvIA1Y.png]

Number 99- Antonio Sandoval

Antonio Sandoval played at Notre Dame before entering the NSFL Draft ahead of S3. He was the first overall pick for the Colorado Yeti, and lined up as a defensive end. He would also play on the offensive line in his professional career. Unfortunately, stats for his career are hard to source. He retired after S11, playing for the Yeti his entire career. In that time he played in 3 Pro Bowls, and was awarded Defensive Lineman of the Year for Season 10. He also is 7th overall for all-time tackles for loss, with 72. He was inducted into the Yeti’s Ring of Honor, and thus his number 99 was retired.

[Image: OkJ100G.png]

Huge shoutout to @White Cornerback for maintaining this wiki.

Tune in next time for more legends of the game! And ask yourself: Will you one day be counted among them?

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - Cheech65 - 05-03-2020

Yeah I know there's a typo right out of the gate. Damn.

Edit:
Disregard the above.

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - enigmatic - 05-04-2020

With all the shit the Otters won, I was wondering why they only had one number retired. Messed up my morning, man.

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - White Cornerback - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 12:55 PM)enigmatic Wrote:With all the shit the Otters won, I was wondering why they only had one number retired. Messed up my morning, man.

Sadly we can only document retired jerseys when GM's are willing to. People generally don't want to retire jerseys here because they either can't be arsed or don't care too much about it. Like everything on the wikipedia it's the minority of people making the majority of the work.

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - BigKicks - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 07:55 AM)enigmatic Wrote:With all the shit the Otters won, I was wondering why they only had one number retired. Messed up my morning, man.

The Otters don't retire numbers under the belief players shouldn't be limited in what number they wear. The reason Marc Spector's number is the only one retired is because a) He was/is the backbone of the prolonged success of the team and b) The irl user passed away.

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - enigmatic - 05-05-2020

(05-04-2020, 03:59 PM)BigKicks Wrote:The Otters don't retire numbers under the belief players shouldn't be limited in what number they wear. The reason Marc Spector's number is the only one retired is because a) He was/is the backbone of the prolonged success of the team and b) The irl user passed away.
I guess GMs know best for their team but as someone who had her number retired by the Liberty, it's one of the coolest things that's happened to me in sim leagues and I honestly don't care if another user drafted by Philly chooses 3 as their number. It's a sim league, not real life after all.

Also, I said it messed up my morning because I read the post saying the user died in real life and I thought it was sad. Otters can do what they like with their retired jerseys.

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - moonlight - 05-05-2020

(05-04-2020, 06:55 AM)enigmatic Wrote:With all the shit the Otters won, I was wondering why they only had one number retired. Messed up my morning, man.

We probably should have a Ring of Honour at the very least.

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - 37thchamber - 05-05-2020

(05-05-2020, 04:46 PM)moonlight Wrote:We probably should have a Ring of Honour at the very least.
Ideally every team would have a ring of honor page on the wiki. I created a category for it, and there's an example ready to be modified right here :eyes:

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - moonlight - 05-05-2020

(05-05-2020, 10:21 AM)37thchamber Wrote:Ideally every team would have a ring of honor page on the wiki. I created a category for it, and there's an example ready to be modified right here :eyes:

Awesome, I'll forward that to the right people! OCO

*History of the NSFL- Retired Numbers #1 - timeconsumer - 05-06-2020

(05-05-2020, 11:46 AM)moonlight Wrote:We probably should have a Ring of Honour at the very least.

You do. The Ring of Otter, we made it a long time ago. And yeah I was part of the "We don't retire numbers" decision makers. At the time we felt the Otters were so elite that wearing orange alone would suffice for recognition. That and HOF.

http://nsfl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=10600&hl=