International Simulation Football League
*Quentin Button Calls it Quits for Iowa Baseball - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Quentin Button Calls it Quits for Iowa Baseball (/showthread.php?tid=22142)

*Quentin Button Calls it Quits for Iowa Baseball - pppaul317 - 05-16-2020

Quentin Button, a former 3 star starting pitcher recruit for the Iowa Hawkeyes, has announced his plan to quit the team and prepare for the 24th annual National Simulation Football League draft. Button, a football player in highschool, has struggled greatly in his role as a relief pitcher for the Hawkeyes. Once considered a high potential contact pitcher, Button had a dramatic drop off in production between his highschool and college career. For example, Button came in throwing his fastball at a high speed of 82 mph. After a short injury a week into his freshman year, he has yet to grace 79 mph again. Button was expected to perform well enough his freshman year to spend some time as a long relief pitcher before being stretched into a starter for the remainder of his college career. His poor performance changed plans and he has been getting low intensity innings ever since. His coaches hoped he could pick up some momentum and work as a quality set up man as he matured into an upperclassman, but Button had other plans.

“I only came here because Erik thought I would find a way to make it work” Button says, referencing his cousin Erik Rivers who has found great success as a major league third baseman with the New York Voyagers.

“But it all came crashing down. I know I can’t make it professionally in the PBE. I don’t want to sit around playing low level indy ball when I think I can be making real money playing a different sport.”

This change came as a really big surprise. NCAA athletes switching sports is far from rare, but most choose to transfer to find a place in their new sport. Button, however, has decided to commit himself to training for the draft.

It should be noted, however, that it is too late for him to declare for the next draft. He will be preparing for the one after that, the NSFL’s 24th season, rather than their 23rd.

“I think it’s a good thing, I don’t want to come in looking like an idiot. It will give me time to really figure out who I am as a football player and really develop into the athlete I know I can become.”

Experts in the draft feel as if this is a very risky decision, but it could work out well. His confidence shines in his decision to immediately prepare for the draft without playing football in college, but his pride could stand in his way to becoming a professional athlete.

It is true he had run his luck thin in the PBE draft. There was a time when Quentin Button looked like a genuine baseball prospect. He had a good curveball that struck out many batters in highschool. His dropoff has made it clear that he would be a long shot to ever pitch in the majors, as he would probably only ever top out as a minor league reliever. This decision, while very risky, could provide a better opportunity to become a professional athlete.

Button still has a long way to go, and his draft is a long ways away, so he has got time to try and work himself into being a productive and ready prospect.
Button has committed himself to being a safety. The position makes a lot of sense for his height and weight, but it is unclear if he will be able to prepare himself enough to be a genuine defensive prospect. Watching him work out, it is very clear he needs to work on his speed and endurance. He has made some progress already, but to prepare oneself for a top league sports draft takes a lot of hardwork and time, and there is some fear that Button’s track record, especially in high leverage scenarios, could make him drop lower or off some teams draft boards.

“I know it’s hard to look past, failure always looks bad. And I’m not gonna skimp past it, that is what it is. It’s failure. But that does not mean I can’t evolve, it doesn’t mean I can’t work to move forward.”

“I don’t want to say I’m putting it behind me, that sounds like I’m discarding it. I don’t want to forget my time here in Iowa City, nor do I want to forget my entire baseball career. I just want to put it on the shelf. I really wish it could have worked out here but it’s clear I don’t have a shot to make it in baseball. I’m definitely not tall enough to try basketball. So I’m heading back to football.”

Safety is an entirely new position for a Button, making his journey seem even more unlikely. In highschool, Button was the team’s star wide receiver.

“I don’t know, I know it’s dumb but I’ve spent so much time throwing balls that I think I want to move to something new. I want to be on the complete opposite end of it. Not catching balls though, I want to stop other people from catching them. And I know I can get good enough to the point where I can compete with the best of em.”

This decision is a hard gamble. If Button fumbles it, he will be stuck out of college and sport-less, left to fill out his professional athletic dreams in nerdy sim leagues. If he can succeed, he will find himself both playing and getting paid but, and more importantly to many fans and sports media alike, a really great story.

Button, as perhaps a way of validating his announcement, tweeted “i dont wanna be here #movingonup.” It is certainly clear he did not want to play baseball in Iowa anymore. It is also clearly uncertain on whether or not he is moving on up. I am positive, however, that the whole sports world will be watching to see if Button can succeed.