International Simulation Football League
*All Time Kicking Stats - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *All Time Kicking Stats (/showthread.php?tid=22298)

*All Time Kicking Stats - BigKicks - 05-20-2020

Since I joined the NSFL, I've wondered why there's no big spreadsheet that has everyone's career stats on it. At that point, 14 seasons worth of (simulated) football had been played, so enough time had passed for entire careers to be shown off on such lists. Everyone here wants to do something great and be remembered. Stats, top 10 stats especially, is one great way of being great. However a top 10 list via the index is unfortunately all we have right now (and as I'll soon talk about, is not 100% accurate). This isn't watchmojo, this is (simulated) football! I want to see the best, the worst, the average, the odd, the miraculous, the impossible, and the silliest all at once! I am glad to have a player that is in these top 10's and continues to climb, but until now I've felt that I wasn't able to watch my player climb into the top ranks. He just appeared in the top 10 one day. I have decided that this isn't how younger players should experience things. The reason this spreadsheet doesn't exist is because people have passed it off as "too much work" or "impossible to implement", and better yet "a waste of time". "No use will come of it", and my favorite, "we already have the top 10 lists".

The point of this article is to prove all of these statements as false, starting with "we already have the top 10 lists". It is true we have these but let me show you two images that prove such lists are untrustworthy.

[Image: MHKTJrC.png] [Image: Ob38dEi.png]

The first image is what you will see if you go to the index right now and look at the top 10 careers in XPs Made. The second image is from a spreadsheet I made before S22's regular season ended. Notice that the top 4 is different between the two. That's because the index didn't count Dean Jackson's rookie season. I'm not a sim expert, but I assume this is because rookie Jackson was accidentally removed and then put back in, effectively creating a new player. This is why we must move on from these top 10 lists. There is room for error, something that should not exist alongside statistics. I don't think you would want inaccurate statistics. It's insulting to you, your activity and devotion, and to your player. "We already have the top 10 lists" is now an invalid excuse.

How about the notion of it being "too much work" or "impossible to implement"? I'm not the most versed in google spreadsheets, but thanks to a few guides, I was able to put together a working sheet which put every kicking career into one list in around 2 hours. It was hardly "too much work" for me. And to test the easiness of updating it, I purposely waited until this season was over to update the sheet from S21 to S22 (which is why the image I gave above exists). It took me at maximum 20 minutes to update. Now granted there isn't a lot of kickers, so updating was pretty straightforward. However I can already think of ways I can automate this further so that all one would have to do to update it is to copy and paste the stats from the index. "Too much work" and "impossible to implement" are now invalid excuses.

I've already explained why this isn't "a waste of time". I want to see my stats. Other people want to see their stats. People want to compare stats. People want to feel the excitement of seeing their players rise to greatness. I'd hardly call that "a waste of time". "No use will come of it" is just a poor lie. Let me throw some interesting facts at you real quick:

Iyah Blewitt has made the most kicks from 50+ in NSFL history, making 17 out of 21.
Rashad Tarkenton has played the least amount of games among all kickers, with 6 starts in his entire career.
Despite playing in 7 less games, Bradely Madlad has scored 15 more extra points than current OCO starter Alex D.
3 players hold the record for highest XP%, with a perfect 100%.

I didn't know any of this due to the fact that either there was no spreadsheet that showed this information, or the few places that did have such info was incorrect (no player under the name 86, A. exists in NSFL history, and yet is shown in the career index). Such things are imperative to gauging careers, and thus are useful. Now we are left with no excuse other than laziness, and I haven't said all this for nothing. I have made a spreadsheet for the all time kicking stats, accurate up to this season.

Link to spreadsheet

Not everyone's a kicker, however. In fact, there's been very few kickers in this league's history. That's why I will be making an all time list for every measurable statistic in the index, because no one else will. Stay tuned.

[Image: pfYItk3.jpg]

*All Time Kicking Stats - infinitempg - 05-20-2020

YES

can you export this to https://www.datawrapper.de/? I'd like to be able to sort and stuff Smile

Also I may be working on a similar project on the deep end of my backburner :eyes:

*All Time Kicking Stats - .Laser - 05-20-2020

I love this so much

*All Time Kicking Stats - BigKicks - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 11:04 PM)infinitempg Wrote:YES

can you export this to https://www.datawrapper.de/? I'd like to be able to sort and stuff Smile

Also I may be working on a similar project on the deep end of my backburner :eyes:

Here you go https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/U1Uzp/1/

unfortunately this site rounds the percentages to the nearest whole number, so things might me inaccurate in that regard. i will work on sorting by category in the future spreadsheets.

*All Time Kicking Stats - infinitempg - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 11:25 PM)BigKicks Wrote:Here you go https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/U1Uzp/1/

unfortunately this site rounds the percentages to the nearest whole number, so things might me inaccurate in that regard. i will work on sorting by category in the future spreadsheets.

I think there's a way to change that but I don't remember it off the top of my head. You can also do sorting by setting a filter but I don't think that works with view only spreadsheets. Not sure if there's a Publish option that lets you sort and filter

*All Time Kicking Stats - moonlight - 05-21-2020

Nice article. Maybe there’s a way to incorporate a “Pro Football Reference”-lite section into the TPE tracker or something.

*All Time Kicking Stats - Nykonax - 05-21-2020

This is awesome, let me know when your done with every position since for the nsfl discord bot I already have code to display career stats, just dont have the data :eyes:

*All Time Kicking Stats - 37thchamber - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 04:51 AM)BigKicks Wrote:How about the notion of it being "too much work" or "impossible to implement"? I'm not the most versed in google spreadsheets, but thanks to a few guides, I was able to put together a working sheet which put every kicking career into one list in around 2 hours. It was hardly "too much work" for me.
To clarify on this point, because I'm not fond of the implication here that people are either lazy or incompetent... there is no foolproof way to distinguish between players with the same initial and surname in the index. This is why it's "impossible to implement" (automatically) and therefore "too much work" (because it will require someone manually going through and assigning a unique reference point [i.e. the player it relates to] for every individual player stat record for every season).

I actually discussed this very point recently on the dev server:

[Image: CCiVD5Y.png]

For kickers it's easy because there's not that many of them. Other positions... not so much.

That all said, a stats database of this nature is actually in the works.

*All Time Kicking Stats - iseedoug - 05-21-2020

Kickers!

(But also very happy with this. League history and stats are super important imo)

*All Time Kicking Stats - BigKicks - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 03:26 AM)37thchamber Wrote:To clarify on this point, because I'm not fond of the implication here that people are either lazy or incompetent... there is no foolproof way to distinguish between players with the same initial and surname in the index. This is why it's "impossible to implement" (automatically) and therefore "too much work" (because it will require someone manually going through and assigning a unique reference point [i.e. the player it relates to] for every individual player stat record for every season).

I actually discussed this very point recently on the dev server:

[Image: CCiVD5Y.png]

For kickers it's easy because there's not that many of them. Other positions... not so much.

That all said, a stats database of this nature is actually in the works.

I apologize if it felt like that statement was directed towards someone, that was not my intention. That argument was used a lot in my early career, thus why I felt the need to mention it here. I have nothing but appreciation for what the wiki team and others are doing today.