International Simulation Football League
*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Podcasts (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=290)
+---- Forum: Graded Podcasts (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+---- Thread: *The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 (/showthread.php?tid=22393)

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Sylphreni - 05-23-2020

Hellooooooo Everybody!

Got a solo-pod here for you today, really happy with how this one turned out. I do want to mention before you dive into it, that I did not see the Thiath piece announcing his retirement prior to recording, so I do mention him during the Sarasota analysis.... That said, removing him from the equation doesn't invalidate the overall narrative of the point I was making, some I'm content to leave it be. Just wanted to give you a heads up for when you got to that point.

So without further ado, here's what you can expect on the pod today:
  • Several media piece recommendations
  • HO and DSFL commissioner discussion
  • An all time old man rant.... seriously, I sound like I'm 80, but I stand by it
  • ROYALS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!
  • NSFL Scouting chat
  • Analysis of the two teams knocked out of the playoffs: Sarasota and NOLA
  • A solid media suggestion of the week
  • And much, much more!
LISTEN HERE

Notes for the Grader
  • <3
  • 2x media bonus please
  • :*

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - AsylumParty - 05-23-2020

rip timestamps
excited to listen though!

edit: i *think* we've tried commentary before. iirc it was rather slow. i don't know if that was partially due to the commentators themselves, the nature of the sim, or just both?

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - HalfEatenOnionBagel - 05-24-2020

(05-23-2020, 11:34 PM)AsylumParty Wrote:edit: i *think* we've tried commentary before. iirc it was rather slow. i don't know if that was partially due to the commentators themselves, the nature of the sim, or just both?

We did have commentary for a short time (I think even for the prospect bowl last season maybe?) but there were a few reasons it just did not work out as a regular thing. For one, when we tried it was back when Kolbe was in the league and he was the guy doing a lot of the commentary so there's that. But additionally we have sped up the sim presentation some which makes it hard to follow. The commentary just isn't everyone's cup of tea whereas just having music while also having a live chat is something everyone can get on board with. And of course no offense to anyone that did the commentary here but the amount of prep that even the worst real life commentators put into getting ready for a game, learning players, stats, etc and of course having a production team making sure the presentation is solid is not insignificant.

In SCSFL they have been doing commentary for sims but each game there takes 30 minutes so maybe it just lends itself more to that.

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Sylphreni - 05-24-2020

(05-23-2020, 11:34 PM)AsylumParty Wrote:rip timestamps
excited to listen though!

edit: i *think* we've tried commentary before. iirc it was rather slow. i don't know if that was partially due to the commentators themselves, the nature of the sim, or just both?

God damnit.... timestamps. I'll edit the post this evening with some... admittedly was a little sleepy when this went up.

As to your edit... wouldn't surprise me if it was a little bit of both. As I mention in the pod, it's not as though there's live action, so it could be difficult to do. That said, perhaps if you had a big rivalry game on a specific week, it might be fun to have GMs or something similar on adding some color...

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Memento Mori - 05-25-2020

In the same way that the NFL tries different rules out in the Pro Bowl, we could try different stuff for the Pro Bowl broadcasts. If there's people interested in doing commentary they could commentate the Pro Bowl as a trial run and see what people think of it.

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - HalfEatenOnionBagel - 05-25-2020

You should definitely do a mock, I enjoyed that episode last time. I know you don't like talking about yourself but I'm sure most people in your class would love to hear you sing their praises

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - qWest - 05-26-2020

I think if you're considering doing a mock and don't want to talk about yourself, you could consider doing a DSFL mock instead! There are plenty of NSFL mocks, but never enough for the DSFL, and it's a good way to learn and help others learn more about the next class of rookies.

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Sylphreni - 05-27-2020

@HalfEatenOnionBagel and @qWest both make great points..... Stay tuned Wink

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Sylphreni - 05-27-2020

(05-25-2020, 10:24 AM)Memento Mori Wrote:In the same way that the NFL tries different rules out in the Pro Bowl, we could try different stuff for the Pro Bowl broadcasts. If there's people interested in doing commentary they could commentate the Pro Bowl as a trial run and see what people think of it.

I really like this idea. Would be a nice way to "soft launch" the idea in a game that has very little bearing on things.

*The Sylphreni Show - Episode 11 - Frostbite - 05-27-2020

:eyes: