International Simulation Football League
*Adam Schell - Defensive Quarterback - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Adam Schell - Defensive Quarterback (/showthread.php?tid=22518)

*Adam Schell - Defensive Quarterback - Cincyfan96 - 05-27-2020

Growing up in Kentucky, new NSFL prospect Adam Schell was surrounded by talk of basketball. A natural athlete, all of his friends played basketball and urged him to help them cut down the nets - the dream of any Kentucky-raised teenager. But he was different. Basketball was fun in the driveway or in a game of pickup at the park, but it was too tame - too concerned with finesse and skill moves for his taste. In the 8th grade, when Schell first put on a set of pads for his school's football tryouts, he was home.

Thus began a hobby which grew into an obsession, as it does for all who ever make it to the big league. By 9th grade, Schell was the starting quarterback for the Varsity team at Tates Creek High School, and he made a habit of picking apart opposing defenses week after week after week. In the 10th grade, Adam began sending his uncle Frank to the game of the team they would be playing the next week to get footage of their defense which he would study all week long leading up to their match up. "Learning opponents' tendencies, favorite plays and formations, and the tells that all players have has always been one of the most satisfying parts of football for me." said Schell in an interview after one game. "I can't change my height and I can only change my athleticism to a certain point; but I can outwork every opponent I ever face and I intend to."

Through high school, he led his team to a better record each year, 7-5, 8-4, 10-2, and his senior year they went 11-1, losing in the state championship game in which Schell threw 3 TDs and ran for a 4th, but had a costly fumble on the game's final drive when he was hit from behind. "I may never get that 'chip back, but it was a heck of a game." Schell remembers. He still holds Tates Creek records for passing yards, TDs, and TD/Int ratio.

However, when college recruitment came around, questions of Schell's arm strength made it difficult to land a college scholarship at the Division I level. One day in a meeting with the University of Kentucky, coach Stoops asked if Schell would ever consider playing defense. Most quarterbacks transition to another offensive position - maybe a Wide Receiver or a Tight End, but with Schell's size and instincts, Stoops suggested that he could become an elite Line Backer, or as he suggested, "Defensive Quarterback." Once Schell heard the term, he was sold.

Following a scholarship to UK, Schell quickly rose through the defensive ranks to become a starter by the second half of his freshman season. Stoops marveled at his work ethic, "I've never seen a player who isn't a quarterback put in the time he does both in the gym and in film studies." During this interview, Schell came up beside him and said, "I am a quarterback, coach." and walked away.

A three year captain, Schell earned First Team All-SEC Conference honors his senior year and was a nominee for the national defensive player of the year. His instincts and discipline were on full display his senior year as he racked up 110 combined tackles, 8 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 4 picks. When asked his favorite thing about playing defense Schell quickly replied, "Easy. Reading the quarterback's eyes and seeing where he's going before he even knows it. Whether it's getting a pick or a big hit the second the ball gets there, that's the feeling I love most playing this game.

It's clear that this defensive quarterback has found his niche at linebacker. As he gets ready to leap into the next level, he was asked which team he'd like to be drafted by. His response? "Whoever has the most film to study. I'm ready to work."

*Adam Schell - Defensive Quarterback - mithrandir - 05-27-2020

You can't teach work ethic!