International Simulation Football League
*Draft Pick Trade Values - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Draft Pick Trade Values (/showthread.php?tid=24440)

*Draft Pick Trade Values - Beefstu409 - 07-30-2020

Many of you may or may not be familiar with the Draft Pick Value chart that NFL GMs reference frequently regarding the trade value of all picks in the NFL draft. You can find it at the following link for reference:

NFL Draft Pick Trade Values

I decided to see what that would look like in the DSFL/ISFL and took a stab at organizing a Draft Pick Trade Value Chart. There were a few interesting things to consider when looking at the chart:
  • The NFL values don't perfectly fit a curve, they're generally rounded especially in the early picks
  • DSFL/ISFL drafts are varying lengths every season where the NFL is not
  • Inactive players should hold no value in a draft
  • Number of teams in the DSFL/ISFL change somewhat frequently
Understanding these things I set out to make a worksheet that could handle all of these variables. If you're not interested in the relatively brief explanation of how it was built, here's the link to the sheet (note that you must make a copy to screw around with it).

Draft Pick Trade Value

Here's a quick walkthrough - there's only 3 values you should ever need to adjust:

Draft Class Size: How many players are in this seasons draft for the league
Projected Inactives: How many players you believe will be inactive for the season
Number of Teams: Current number of teams in the league

[Image: zl2abV6.png]

Compared to some of my work this sheet is relatively simple. It's just one tab though I did some calculations on another. To start I copy pasted the values from the NFL chart into the sheet and plotted them along with a trendline.

[Image: 00YPgHw.png]

From here, I grabbed the exponential trendline function. This function (1805e^-0.0287x) is what I based the formula on to build out the DSFL/ISFL chart. Incidentally I didn't know what the "e" stood for and spent a little more time than I'd like to admit finding that it's just a constant for exponential functions. Once that was sorted out I was off to the races.

To get the DSFL/ISFL values you simply make a fraction of the draft class for the DSFL/ISFL divided by 224 (the total picks in the NFL draft). This scales the exponential function out or in to what values matter. I also took this time to drop ALL values by the theoretical value of the first pick after the draft ended. This helped to lower some of the later round picks values which were a little too high. Graphed over top of each other was pretty cool when the values were shifted around. Here's an example of the values for the DSFL/ISFL picks (red) vs the NFL (blue).

[Image: GmrD1I7.png]

After the functions were working I just needed to pretty up the UI and get everything functional for the release. You don't see any of my worksheets or scrap tabs in the document as they didn't hold anything that was functionally needed so I deleted them to keep everything clean. Because the NFL draft pick values are based on real football and a static 224 pick draft, how it translates to a varying pick draft simulation league may not be perfect (or even good) so use this sheet with a grain of salt. I believe it will have some value though.

Enjoy the chart and let me know if you have any questions or think anything should be tinkered with!

-Beefstu409
568 words

*Draft Pick Trade Values - Beefstu409 - 07-30-2020

Edit: This is resolved.

Quick update the formatting doesn't work if you change number of teams right now. I can make that fix quick tonight but not til I can get back on a desktop. The value per pick should be fine though.