International Simulation Football League
*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs (/showthread.php?tid=24463)

*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - kingsleigher - 07-31-2020

I’m James Hoffman, a cornerback prospect in the upcoming DSFL draft. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a film junkie. You can work out and get faster or stronger or quicker off the line all you want, but it’s all for nothing if you don’t understand the way the game is played. As the wait for the upcoming Prospect Bowl and subsequent DSFL draft has been absolutely unbearable, I’ve taken it upon myself to watch some tape on my fellow cornerback prospects to see what I can learn from their game and their respective playing styles. So here goes, my grades for each cornerback in the upcoming draft (which no one asked for).

We’ll start with the prospects that I personally don’t think are quite at the level to compete in the DSFL yet. (These players do not have update pages, or have not updated them in over a week)

15. Naman Fletcher
14. Charlie Woody
13. Lucas Hinsetzen
12. Gavin Leclerc
11. Breezy Wallace
10. Lugolor Gulogor

It would be awesome to see these players return to the league when they’re ready, and I hope at that time they are able to prove my list wrong.

Next are the prospects that I think have a shot of being solid starters in the league

9. Curtis Blackshear
Blackshear has an update page that is regularly checked in upon, but they have only earned a total of 10 TPE thus far. While Blackshear looks to have elite speed in a loaded corner class, a lack of information about them as a player and few TPE earned hurts their placing on their list.

8. Mason Gillion
Gillion is a tough corner to grade. They have solid speed and agility which should help them keep up with opposing receivers at the next level. Other than that, there isn’t a whole lot to say about Gillion. There isn’t a whole lot of tape to watch of their play at Wisconsin and so they end up being a bit of a wild card, though I do see Gillion actively participating and grinding to better their game. Time will tell how they develop as a player, but for the time being, I’m going to place them at the middle of the pack. I hope to see more of what they can do at the prospect bowl. Gillion may just shock us all.

7. Jeeeeroy Lenkins
Lenkins is completing tasks and working hard making that bread with a really solid gfx submission and an active twitter account. I’d love to know more about them, but it seems they’ve yet to make a wiki page. It’s unknown at the time of posting what Lenkins’ college career looked like, and so they are truly a mystery as a player. One thing my crystal ball tells me though: if Lenkins keeps earning the way they have been, they’re going to do just fine in this league.

6. Ben Anabender
Anabender has been checking in regularly at activity check’s, taken advantage of weekly training, and has completed both a mock draft and an Ultimus Week media piece. Their activeness in the forum is promising, and as a young corner with good speed and intelligence as well as solid agility, I expect Anabender will make a decent impact in this league and the sky is really the limit for them. All depends on how much work they’re willing to put in.

The final tier on this list are five players I firmly believe have the potential to be future stars in this league. These players were incredibly difficult to put up next to each other and compare, and I feel like I can confidently say any team would be lucky to have them,

5. James Gath
Don’t blink, you might miss him. Gath is lightning incarnate. This man runs so fast, I’m not even quite sure he’s from the same dimension. Gath certainly isn’t the perfect prospect. While he filled out stat sheets in his college career and won a lot of games, questions have been raised about the quality of GVSU’s opponents and rumors about his family paying off gameday refs have gained traction recently. Regardless, Gath’s dedication to the game and his blazing speed make him a future star in this league. He places at the end of the top tier only because his tackling ability could be improved.

4. Clay Clark
Clark’s playing style brings to mind some vintage cornerback play. He’s not going to be the fastest guy on the field, but his football IQ allows him to get into the right spot to break up plays and his tackling ability isn’t to be taken lightly. Nearly 200 pounds at only 5’9”, Clark has the body of a linebacker at corner and his physicality is a big reason I am of the opinion that he is going to excel in this league. Detractors will point to his poor performance in FSU’s playoff game (and ignore the season of solid play that helped FSU get to the playoffs) as a weakness and may suggest that it means he can’t compete against the talented receivers at the next level, to which I would retort that a single corner doesn’t allow a triple digit score in a historic CFB defeat. Clark will only become better as he learns from veterans around him.

3. Rich Triplet
Triplet is one of the most interesting corner prospects in this draft, maybe the most interesting prospect period. Finding tape of his play at MSU wasn’t easy, but it was well worth the effort. Triplet is an animal. His height and length give him an excellent advantage in coverage, but Triplet may be the hardest hitting corner in this draft. Another one of those corners that plays like a linebacker, but there is no way that a guy his size should be able to move like he can. I’m happy he can though, because Triplet is electrifying. Some may knock him for his off-the-field “antics” or “questionable” decision-making, but I’m certainly not one to judge. I think there’s something to be said for a player who makes the decisions they believe are best for them. Besides, the guy is a workhorse. He’s constantly trying to better his game, and whoever gets Triplet in the draft is getting an absolute competitor.

2. Corran West
Speed, quickness, brilliance. West brings it all. He shut down top receivers week after week during his career at Texas. West’s high football IQ makes it almost seem like everyone else is moving in slow motion. He knew what plays the opposing offense was going to run before they ran them, probably even before the offense knew they were going to run them. West’s elite speed and agility allowed him to recover on the rarest of occasions when it seemed like he got beat off the line. West is a pure athlete and a hard worker. His skills translate to having a high floor in the league, he’ll be able to come in and make an immediate impact wherever he goes. The sky is really the limit for this kid.

1. Peter Patterson
Patterson has elite speed, excellent football IQ, good agility, and is a solid tackler. What cannot be overstated, though, is Patterson’s work ethic. If there’s something to do, Patterson does it. Period. He’s just the kind of player that loves the grind, and right away that garners massive respect from me. Patterson is someone who won’t be outworked on the gridiron or in the weight room, and this is proven by the way he fought for the starting spot in his college career. After an unfortunate injury to the starting cornerback in Iowa, Patterson stole the spotlight and never looked back. If his play continues this way, I expect him to do the same in the league.

I hope for nothing but the best for each and every one of my fellow draft classmates. I know we’re about to go make an absolute mess in this league. Let me know what you think and if I have anyone too high or too low on the list.

*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - Asked Madden - 07-31-2020

You and I have a very different outlook on Jeeeeroy Lenkins

*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - slate - 07-31-2020

Finally an accurate CB ranking!

For real though, fun writeup.

(07-31-2020, 02:36 AM)Asked Madden Wrote:You and I have a very different outlook on Jeeeeroy Lenkins

The first thing I looked at when grading each prospect was TPE earned and Jeeeroy was jut a bit behind the others listed ahead. Also, they don't have a wiki page and I kinda had to knock them down for that a touch just because it was hard to get a read on their character

(07-31-2020, 07:43 AM)slate Wrote:Finally an accurate CB ranking!

For real though, fun writeup.

I'm glad you liked it lol
Honestly the top 5 were hard as hell to rank, everyone is staying super active, you love to see it

*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - FlashSpider-man - 07-31-2020

This pleases me. I appreciate you. Thanks.

*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - Kotasa - 07-31-2020

This is the quality draft evaluation I look for. Great write up!!

*Grading My Fellow Prospect CBs - Asked Madden - 07-31-2020

(07-31-2020, 03:15 PM)kingsleigher Wrote:The first thing I looked at when grading each prospect was TPE earned and Jeeeroy was jut a bit behind the others listed ahead. Also, they don't have a wiki page and I kinda had to knock them down for that a touch just because it was hard to get a read on their character

Oh no, I have him as Mr irrelevant, believe me. I'm surprised he's as high as 7!