International Simulation Football League
*Interview with Rashad Hilliard - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Interview with Rashad Hilliard (/showthread.php?tid=24541)

*Interview with Rashad Hilliard - TheCC - 08-01-2020

Hey everyone. By this point, I’m guessing that you probably know me as that one guy that does way too many interviews. It’s not my fault, I just want to help out our guys in Minnesota. And today, we have Minnesota Grey Ducks MIN cornerback Rashad Hilliard with us. He had an absolutely incredible rookie year in the DSFL for us this season, finishing the year with a solid 55 tackles, an impressive 14 passes defensed, and an insane 7 interceptions. These questions were asked prior to the ISFL draft taking place, where he was selected in the fourth round at pick 38 to the San Jose Sabercats, at the end of a run on our Minnesota Grey Ducks players (two other Grey Ducks were selected in the two picks before Rashad Hilliard). Not a lot is known about Rashad yet, but he definitely made his presence known on the field this season. Let’s get to know the owner of the stickiest hands in the DSFL.

Question: Rashad, great to have you here. Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions. You had an insane rookie year. Were you expecting this kind of individual success?
Answer: In short, fuck no. To be honest I expected to ride the bench for the first little bit so to even be a starter shocked me. When I discovered I was getting playing time all that I thought was, “I hope I don’t let the team down” ha ha. To come out and not only not let my team down but to be an asset had me involved and more excited than ever to develop my player to try and get the most out of the season as I could. Even then I never expected to end up one interception shy of a record, sadly I couldn’t squeeze out two more in two games, but it is what it is.

Response: Coming into the year, we didn’t think that the corner position was necessarily going to be a strength, hahah. We had Ray Ray Jackson returning, who is a beast, but we weren’t sure what we would have besides that. It was such a great surprise to find out we had one of the other best CBs in the league, a few weeks into the season. I wish you could’ve pulled off that record, but hell, 7 picks is nothing to scoff at. That’s the most interceptions I’ve ever seen someone get in the DSFL myself, so it was really fun to see it go down.

Question: Our team, and you alone, had plenty of big moments this season, despite what our record shows. What was your favorite performance of the season?

Answer: Without a doubt it would have to be our week eight dominant performance against the Seawolves. As a team we dominated them on both sides of the ball. The offense balled out and had one of their best performances of the season, and on top of that the defense held them to 3 points. That alone would be enough for favorite performance as a team, but I also had one of my best games of the season snagging not one but two interceptions, breaking up 4 plays, and tacking on 4 more tackles. They only threw on us for 136 yards and we made their QB look silly with completing under fifty percent of their passes. If only we could’ve continued performing like that, we would’ve snagged an easy title.

Response: I can’t blame you for that choice. That one was a lot of fun to watch haha. It also makes it a little bit sweeter, because some of our players and former players look at the Norfolk Seawolves as one of our rivals. So seeing us crush anyone is nice, but seeing them go down was even better, in a way hahah. And along with that, you had a hell of a game. I’m an old Ducks CB, so I’m always paying slightly more attention to you guys in the secondary, and it’s great to see you guys holding it down now that we have moved on to the big leagues.

Question: You seem like a front-runner come time for the awards show. How does that feel? Do you think you'll walk away with any hardware?

Answer: It feels pretty cool, I won’t lie. I don’t know if I will end up with any, but I definitely feel I finished top three or four for my position which alone wouldn’t be enough for any award in my opinion but I feel doing it as a rookie has to give me some bonus points. I think I’ll be in the discussion but who knows this is my first time going through this process so I’m not sure what the voters like to see and how much weight they give to different things. I’m not sure how many other defensive rookies there were that had a breakout season, but I feel I at the very least, I should be in top players for that award.

Response: Well now that the awards show is over, we know that you didn’t come away with any awards, but you were at least considered for a couple. It’s a shame that you weren’t given any hardware, but I know it feels good to be in the running for it though. I was in a similar boat - I was nominated for ISFL Defensive Rookie of the Year but was last place in the voting hahah. Even though I was in last place, it still felt amazing seeing my name up on that screen, so I’m sure you felt the same. With you coming back to MIN for another season, I’m hoping that you can repeat and improve on that crazy season from last year, and grab those individual awards, while also helping to bring us an Ultimini. You’re definitely the front runner for CB of the Year, in my eyes at least. I’m not sure if he’s happy about this or upset about this, but I think that you have taken Matt Krause’s title of “Best Minnesota Grey Ducks CB to not Win an Award”, hahah, so I think it’s time for him to change his Discord name.

Question: What kind of fruit would you be?

Answer: Hmm that’s a hard one. Probably a Dragon fruit, why you ask? They just look cool as fuck not only on the outside but also on the inside. Everything I have had dragon fruit flavor is straight fire. It is also not a fruit you see every day so unique as well.

Response: That’s a dope answer. I’ve never had an actual dragon fruit, but I do know that they look cool. Unique answer, that’s cool man haha.

Question: Who would you say is your favorite fellow Minnesota Grey Ducks rookie?

Answer: I would have to say chainbreaker, the man is absolute animal on the field we couldn’t have performed anywhere close to what we did defensively without him holding it down on defense.

Response: Alejandro Chainbreaker was an absolute beast on the field this year. He was the leader of that defense, and I’m so happy that he’s returning for another season with the Minnesota Grey Ducks. It’s always nice to have an MVP candidate come back for another round, and he was an MVP candidate. That’s going to be huge for us this season. You and him, along with the other returning guys on defense, are a great group for us to build around. Hopefully we have at least one other MVP candidate this season, maybe one that plays cornerback :eyes: hahaha.

Question: If you could be sponsored by any cereal company, which one would you want?

Answer: The one that paid the most ha. For real though I would have to go with Kellogg’s. They have the best cereal and the best mascots. Tony the Tiger is dope, his slogan is kind of dumb, but tigers are awesome. Toucan Sam was the man and I loved his commercials as a kid, fruit loops are also the best fruity cereal on the market. They got Cocoa Krispies which are not only straight fire as cereal, but you can make rice Krispy treats with them! Drop some chocolate chips in there and its game over. Not going to lie you got me wanting to be sponsored by cereal now. I’m just thinking about the endless cereal and you know they got money too. Yo Kellogg if you’re reading this hit me up, I’m easy to work with we can get a contract busted out in no time.

Response: Haha yeah, keep working and we’ll see what happens. I gotta say they definitely have the best shit though, yeah. General Mills and Post don’t have anything on Kelloggs. Frosted flakes are my number one forever, always have been, so I’d have to go with Kelloggs too and get a commercial spot on TV with Tony.

Well thanks again for your time Rashad. It’s been a pleasure speaking with you man. We’ll have to do this again sometime. Good luck in your upcoming season in Minnesota. No pressure, but we’re expecting big things from you man. Go Ducks!

Please give 60% to Rashad Hilliard and 40% to me.