International Simulation Football League
*Even More Expansion Location Ideas, Around the Globe - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Even More Expansion Location Ideas, Around the Globe (/showthread.php?tid=25006)

*Even More Expansion Location Ideas, Around the Globe - Cheech65 - 08-13-2020

The sentiment seems to be that folks want to see some new franchises pop up outside the United States. And they very well should. The "I" stands for international, and the only ISFL team currently outside of US borders is the Yellowknife Wraiths up in the Northwest Territories. So, without further ado, my ideas for some international teams:

Edinburgh, Scotland
I think it is only natural to spread into the UK further. The DSFL already has the Royals in London, England. So, I figure that heading North is the next logical step. Edinburgh, as the capital of Scotland is densely populated. The reason I would pick Edinburgh over Glasgow, the biggest city in the nation, is because of the competition. Sports are huge in Glasgow, especially football (soccer to us Americans), rugby union, rugby league, and even basketball. There is too much happening in Glasgow in my opinion. I think one of the following teams in Edinburgh could be a success:
  • Edinburgh Ruggers - Drawing on the tradition of rugby in Scotland, the Ruggers' name would not only pay homage to the heritage of contact sports in the region, it could also bring in rugby fans from the UK, potentially blending the fan-bases. Plus, the name seems to flow well off the tongue, if you are pronouncing Edinburgh correctly, that is.
  • Edinburgh Lowlanders - A regionally appropriate nickname, considering the city is in the Scottish Lowlands. Granted, not as cool or as iconic as being a "Highlander", but I think it would be a total farce if the team in Edinburgh was called the Highlanders.
  • Edinburgh Black Watch - Named after the elite military unit, I think the name sticks, and the potential for a tartan color scheme to match the unit's blue and green cap badge is exciting. Granted, the unit still exists and operates today, but I think it is a pretty solid entry into contention.
Munich, Germany
One of the most populous cities in Germany, and home to multiple sports teams (but not rugby), Munich is a great pick for a mainland Europe franchise location. Some potential teams:
  • Munich Lions - I realize that the Royal's mascot and logo is a lion. The same was true for the city of Munich in its early days, where its coat of arms was a golden lion wielding a sword. Playing off that concept to brand a football franchise could be a success. But the conflict within the league tells me that that may not be true.
  • Munich Monks - Similarly, the current coat of arms for the city depicts a monk. Not a great logo or mascot, but it is relevant to the city and provides an alliterative name.
  • Munich Roses - Drawing influence from the White Rose resistance force from WWII, which was based in Munich, the Roses would have immediate recognition within Germany and even Europe as a whole. I am not sure if it is disrespectful to borrow this imagery from a group that is so historically important. After all, I'm not German. Perhaps best not to risk it.
Nassau, Bahamas
The capital city of the Bahamas, Nassau is home to more than 70% of the population. It is also home to resorts and hotels, and I believe that a sporting venue could be more than welcome. Plus, who wouldn't want to go down to the Bahamas to play some football?
  • Nassau Man-of-War - Named for the massive naval vessel, the team would honor the history of the city, referring all the way back to the time where Nassau was just a port for the British Navy. Not only would it honor the history, it would show how far the city and the nation have come. Plus, boats are cool.
  • Nassau Bluejackets - Once again drawing on the naval history of the city, the Bluejackets would be so named after the traditional garb of the British Navy, sky blue jackets. It offers the league a new sky blue, white, and gold color scheme.
  • Nassau Sea Stars - An easy tropical creature, the sea star makes for some easy alliteration, as well as easy and recognizable branding. Even better, it's not an inaccurate choice, geographically speaking. A no-brainer in my opinion.
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
A blossoming tourist center in Australia, it is also the 6th most populated city, though not far from other major population centers, like Brisbane and Sydney. Gold Coast is already home to 2 recently founded professional teams, proving that there is an audience for the game. Obviously places like Perth or Melbourne would be more ideal, but both of those cities have over a dozen professional sport teams, many of which are rugby or soccer, which could kill the market potential for a gridiron team.
  • Gold Coast Gridiron Club - Why give up the chance for a classy name like that? The alliteration works, to me, plus it's a distinguished name. I am not sure what the branding would be, but I feel like GCGC could be arranged in a traditional crest pretty well.
  • Gold Coast Breakers - As a major surfing location that is famous internationally, it makes sense to capitalize on the city's main attraction. Breakers sounds like it could apply in many contexts, but in surfing it refers to a wave that crashes on the shore. The cultural relevance and the easy branding concepts sell themselves.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The capital of Argentina and one of the most populous cities in South America, Buenos Aires is a popular tourist destination, and one ripe with opportunity. There is plenty of iconography already attached to the nation of Argentina. I bet you can already guess what their color scheme will be.
  • Buenos Aires Sol - The Sun of May is the predominant symbol of the nation of Argentina as a whole, and using it in this manner would not only be culturally appropriate to Argentina and Buenos Aires, all nations of Inca decent would be represented by this team.
  • Buenos Aires Eagles - The flag of Buenos Aires depicts a black eagle adorned with a crown. The immediate black, red, and gold color scheme based on this imagery could look rather good on a football uniform.
  • Buenos Aires Galleons - Named for the Spanish Armada ships used to conquer the territory back in the 16th century, this symbol is a representation of the history of the country and the city.
Lagos, Nigeria
Lagos is the capital city of the burgeoning economic powerhouse that is Nigeria. Poised to become a player on the world stage, Lagos is ready to enter a major football league. The most populated city on the continent, Lagos is home to hundreds of ethnic groups, providing a demographic to be played for which cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
  • Lagos Stallions - A nice, flowing name. The coat of arms of Nigeria is that of 2 white horses holding up a black shield, upon which sits a red eagle. The representation of a national symbol would most likely play well and act as a respectful representation of the city on a global scale.
  • Lagos Trumpets - Named not after the instrument, but after the national flower, the Yellow Trumpet is a symbol of the beauty of Nigeria. Though not the prettiest or most intimidating name, it is representative of the city and the people.
Beijing, China
Beijing is one of the most populated cities in the world, and houses more financial institutions and Fortune 500 companies than any other city. So why not add a football team?
  • Beijing Loongs (or Dragons) - Sure, it may be stereotypical to use a dragon as the symbol of a Chinese team. But I don't think that it's unfair. It would make a cool logo, and culturally they are symbols of luck and power, things needed to win football games. Also, my apologies if the spelling is incorrect.
  • Beijing Cranes - Similarly, the red-crowned crane is the national bird of China. Symbolically, it represents longevity and nobility. Plus, its stark red, white, and black coloration provides a nice basis for uniform designs.
Saint Petersburg, Russia
The second-most populated city in Russia, Saint Petersburg is a massive hub where association football is the only major sport. Putting an ISFL team here could be a huge play.
  • Saint Petersburg Anchors - Not the worst name, the anchor is a huge symbol for Saint Petersburg, appearing both on their coat of arms and their flag. In fact, they show 2 types of anchors, demonstrative of the city's river- and ocean-based ports.
  • Saint Petersburg Eagles - A historically significant symbol for the nation of Russia, the two-headed eagle has been in every iteration of the Russian coat of arms. A gold eagle on red background, or a black eagle on a gold background, either way they both are easily identifiable as definitively Russian.
  • Saint Petersburg Bears - Stereotypical, the bear is a clear symbol of Russia as a whole. An easy option, but I do not particularly like it. I think it works better if the team was playing out of Novgorod, where the coat of arms for the city is a black bear. But alas, I cannot mention Russia without bringing up the bear.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
The capital of its province, Saskatoon is home to a few hundred thousand people. Definitely not the most populous place in Canada, but certainly ripe to be the home of an ISFL franchise.
  • Saskatoon Berries - Kind of lame, admittedly, but the city was named after the Cree name for berries in the area. It honors the historical name of the town but doesn't do much else.
  • Saskatoon Sasquatches - Some epic alliteration here. Not really based on much other than the similarity in the names. Probably a bad idea due to the existence of the Colorado Yeti. Or is it genius? Could this team force itself into a rivalry purely by coming to be? Unlikely.
  • Hub City Nukes - Fun fact, because it is in the middle of nowhere in the middle of Canada, Saskatoon became known as the "Hub City" because it could act as an easy distribution center that could branch out to most areas of the country. Also a fun fact, the largest uranium trading company in the world is headquartered in Saskatoon. Who knew?
Yes, some of these are silly. Even more of them are lazy. But do I genuinely like some of them? You bet. Personally, if the 2 expansion teams were to go international only, I like the Nassau Bluejackets and the Lagos Stallions. But make no mistake, I am still partial to the Gold Coast Gridiron Club.

RE: Even More Expansion Location Ideas, Around the Globe - DNeon - 08-14-2020

Quote:though not far from other major population centers, like Brisbane and Sydney

Not far fromĀ Brisbane and...Sydney? Depends on scale I guess, like saying Kansas City isn't far from Dallas.

Love the team names though, Breakers is genius.

EDIT: Also Lagos isn't the capital of Nigeria, that would be Abuja.

RE: Even More Expansion Location Ideas, Around the Globe - Cheech65 - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 01:19 AM)DNeon Wrote: EDIT: Also Lagos isn't the capital of Nigeria, that would be Abuja.

You got me, whoops.