International Simulation Football League
*Behind the Wall #5 Julio Jones - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Behind the Wall #5 Julio Jones (/showthread.php?tid=25007)

*Behind the Wall #5 Julio Jones - Gravtx - 08-13-2020

Welcome to behind the wall, where I interview the unsung heroes of the league, offensive linemen, and get to know the man behind the facemask. Today’s interview is with Julio Jones, 2 time offensive lineman of the year and 2 time pro bowler. Let’s get into it.

Interviewer: “Alright Julio, how would you describe your first few days of the prospect bowl, leading up to the draft?”

Jones: “Oh man, the prospect bowl? I gotta think for a little bit that was like almost two seasons ago...Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect, so my main emotion was just curiosity. Also, I hadn't really put that much work in so at that time, most people had written me off as a bust. So, going into the prospect bowl, I was mainly just concerned with seeing how the league was gonna be, and making sure that everyone kinda knew who I was and saw me as an asset instead of just a bust.”

Interviewer: “How would you describe your experience on your first draft night for the DSFL?”

Jones: “Obviously I was excited to see what team I would go to, but I'd heard around the league and kinda knew that at the time, there were a number of things that were going to hold me back from going as high as I wanted to. Mainly, I knew there wasn't really a premium on OL at the time. They were seen as assets, but really not a position that would go in the top few rounds. That, compounded with the fact that, as I said before, people thought that I would just burn out and leave the league, kinda signaled to me that I should temper my expectations. After 7 rounds, I finally got picked by the Grey Ducks, so it was nice to know that at least someone was going to take a flyer on me and really set me up with a chip on my shoulder so that I would work hard once I got into the DSFL and prove to the other teams that I am serious about football.”

Interviewer: “Yes of course. And that hard work led to a pro bowl and OLotY?”

Jones: “2 unanimous pro bowls and 2 OLotY ?...but yeah i absolutely think that sliding so far down in the draft absolutely lit a fire under my butt to get my stuff in order and get after it. So in a way, I'm glad I went so late in the draft.”

Interviewer: “Very amazing. How do you feel about all these new linemen entering the DSFL this year? I believe it’s 19 this year?”

Jones: “OH MAN...it gives me so much pride and happiness to see that Offensive linemen are kind of experiencing a renaissance. I'm really hoping that this influx of OL continues, and that teams begin to see more and more value in our big boys up front. My biggest hope is just that these guys stay active, because at the end of the day, OL is kind of a thankless job. I mean in my draft class, there were probably two offensive lineman that ended up really staying active and contributing, me and Kevin Malone who ended up retiring after his first season in the DSFL. If you're good, you dont get noticed. If you're bad, you get crapped on by everyone. But I think as long as those guys understand that and are willing to do the dirty work up front, I think that the future is looking bright for offensive lineman.”

Interviewer: “I agree with the term renaissance here. My team, Kansas City, drafted 5 linemen in this draft. Including one in the second round. But back to you, what do you like to do in your free time Julio?”

Jones: “I'm a pretty avid fisherman. When I get the chance, I like to take a little drive outside of minneapolis and maybe go to the great lakes or michigan's Upper peninsula and rent a cabin and do some fishing with my friends. I'm trying to get into fly fishing but it's a lot harder than I expected haha. When i don't have extended amounts of time, I like working on cars for a couple of hours here and a couple of hours there. Something about taking such a complex piece of machinery apart and putting it back together with my bare hands is just super relaxing to me.”

Interviewer: “I completely understand. So what do you think your expectations are for this season?”

Jones: “You know, it's my first season in the ISFL, so i'm obviously excited. I think my team, the outlaws, have a good shot at making a playoff run and it'll be great for me to be able to contribute to the success of my team. I also have been kind of preparing myself for growing pains. Obviously I understand that the level of competition in the ISFL is completely different from the level of play I was used to in the DSFL, so chances are, I won't be able to put up the same amount of numbers that I was able to in the DSFL which is kind of a bummer, but at the end of the day, I think that team success matters more than raw stats, so as long as we win (and I think we will), I'm happy.”

Interviewer: “That’s awesome to hear. I’m sure the outlaws are lucky to have you in their locker room. I wish you the best of luck and I’ll be rooting for you this season.”

Jones: “Thanks for taking the time out of your day to talk to me. had a great time talking to you and hope you have a great season.”

Please give 10% to @24redcrayons and 90% to me