International Simulation Football League
*Predictions In, Trivia Out - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Predictions In, Trivia Out (/showthread.php?tid=25050)

*Predictions In, Trivia Out - StamkosFan - 08-16-2020

Times are changing, and PTs are changing with them. While everyone pretty much was elated over the site move, some eyebrows were raised as Trivia is gone! No more, a thing of the past. I took to my discord locker room to figure out just why and what was going on here.

It turns out that predictions are back in! That sweet, easy TPE, earned by nothing more than guessing or copy pasting the first post on the thread. Most people prefer predictions, but some miss trivia or would like to have both. I mean who doesn’t like free TPE? Especially when you suck at predictions like some people and have no luck like me; Murphy’s law, if anything can go wrong then it will go wrong. With six games in a Predictions slate now though, your chances of getting TPE are higher. 50/50 chance on each game, you’re bound to hit at least a few and have something to show for your time. Every correct answer counts and after a whole season, those 1 or 2 TPE you earned per prediction adds up and becomes a number that is a lot larger than that small sum. Also there are more weeks in a season now so we all will have more chances to take a stab at picking the winners in the regular season, more weeks means more opportunities and hopefully more TPE. It can be quite useful indeed to have those extra points to spend, as long as you can keep up with the fast pace of the sims and the multitude of prediction weeks that are available over a short period of time. It is what separates the top earners from the middle of the pack guys, it really does snow ball and build up over the years.

Still, the four TPE of Trivia will not be forgotten by all of us, and it will be missed, at least by some of us casual users here. And maybe the super active people who love the league’s rich history and learning about interesting records, stats, and players from seasons past will also be sad to see this format gone for good. All you had to do, if you are new to the league and reading this, was PM an answer to a few questions listed out in the PT section about various stuff that has gone down in the league and there you go, it gets graded and you get to bank those sweet points you earned. People helped each other and worked together to make sure their teammates got the answers, it was a group effort. It was a surefire addition to the TPE earned from your weekly PT, and sometimes you don’t know what you got til it’s gone. That is just how the cookie crumbles here. 

What is your guys’ take on the change and everything that has happened with the league lately? Are you happy to see Trivia go, happy to have predictions back, bummed to miss out on 4 TPE that was easy and guaranteed every week, do you not care like at all? I mean I am sure some people are indifferent to the changes, whatever you’re thinking is valid, throw your opinion down in the comments, let’s start a discussion and reminisce on times past! Nostalgia never hurts, it’s a fun trip.

RE: Predictions In, Trivia Out - Jimi64 - 08-16-2020

As a new player who never experienced trivia, I get a sense that I would never have actually done personal research to answer it and simply would have copied others. That being said, I would've still picked up some interesting tidbits about the league's past that I worry I won't come close to ever encountering. I don't see myself randomly browsing the wiki. That being said, earning such a large amount of TPE due to the luck of predictions seems a bit unfair. On the other hand, you're bound to get some right, and it rewards the more active players. Overall, I think predictions are fun, but I'd like for there to be another way to incorporate the league's past into earning somehow. Maybe turn it into a rookie PT? That way players will get exposed to it early and perhaps have them continue to learn about the league unprompted. Because like I said, I'm not about to go search up league history randomly, but I still think it'd be a shame to forget everything that's happened.

RE: Predictions In, Trivia Out - YoungTB - 08-16-2020

Trivia better

RE: Predictions In, Trivia Out - SchwarzNarr - 08-17-2020

I miss trivia, and I hate that instead of looking to revamp trivia in some way to make it less copy/paste, it was just completely thrown out and ~75% of earnable TPE through point tasks is now up to random chance and requires much more of a time commitment than this league previously offered. I greatly dislike the fact that you only have a short window to complete predictions (compared to every other point task/activity check/training), and would love to see it revamped where either:

- All predictions are posted in 3 separate threads at the beginning of the week with different close times.

or

- Predictions are posted a week out (so predictions due 15 minutes before 8/24/2020s sim premiere would be posted today 8/17)

Shortening the time-frame for 75% of the TPE moves this from a casual do it when you can during the week league to a hardened commitment that doesn't take into account that users are real people with lives and things that happen and can remove them from the site for a few days.

RE: Predictions In, Trivia Out - 37thchamber - 08-17-2020

I'm a little disappointed that trivia wasn't just altered in some way tbh.

Creating a multiple choice system with 3 questions selected randomly for each user from a bank of say 5 or 6 per week would probably have been a better way to reduce the "freebie" nature of it, while still making it accessible and not too random. But I imagine that kind of system was deemed not worth the time/effort in implementing the changes they would require at the moment. Maybe in future it will be resurrected, who knows?