International Simulation Football League
*The DSFL South Playoff Race - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The DSFL South Playoff Race (/showthread.php?tid=25298)

*The DSFL South Playoff Race - ajtigger - 09-01-2020

At the half-way point of the DSFL season we have seen some truly exciting action. The cream of the crop has clearly been seen so far in the SFC, which is currently a neck and neck race for not just the playoffs but the best record in the whole of the DSFL. I am here to give you my predictions for each team in this conference.

Dallas Birddogs

I am discussing the Birddogs first just to get them out of the way. Dallas has been the whipping boy of the DSFL this season with a tie for the worst record (2-5) and sole owner of the worst point differential as well (-75). At this time I do not see the Birddogs climbing back into the SFC playoff race given their current level of performance. I do see potential for the Birddogs to play spoilers however as the team is 2 - 1 at home. Look for the week 13 game against Myrtle Beach to be a deciding factor in the SFC race. If Dallas pulls off the win at home, I see MB missing the playoffs.

Norfolk Seawolves

In my opinion the Seawolves are the best team in the DSFL this year. The team won the ultimini last season and retained many of their players from the championship game. Norfolk has absolutely dominated the league this season as they were able to start off 5 - 0. The team is also features the number one defensive unit in the league (only surrendering 16 points per game) as well as the leagues third best offense at over 24 points a game. While they have slipped in their past 2 games it is important to highlight both were on the road. In fact of the three 5-2 teams currently in the SFC, Norfolk is the only one to have played more games on the road than at home. For these reasons I see Norfolk as the clear cut favorite to win the SFC. Week 14 against Tijuana will be a fascinating match up as it has the potential to be the deciding game for the SFC title.

Prediction: 10 - 4 First place in the SFC

Tijuana Luchadores

The Luchadores are my pick to take the second spot inf the SFC. Currently the team has the number one offensive attack in the DSFL by yards (377 per game) and points (26.4 per game). Another major factor for Tijuana is the fact the team already has wins over their two biggest SFC rivals, Myrtle Beach and Norfolk. These wins are what currently gives them the tiebreaker in the week 7 standings and are sure to instill confidence in the team moving forward. The downside is that both these wins came at home. This means the Luchadores will need to go on the road for the two big SFC games left this season. Further, the team still has a road game left against London who despite a 3-4 record still strike me as a team that has chance at the Ultimini title. At the end of the day, I expect that Tijuana will only need to pull out one of these road games in order to make the playoffs. I see them coming together and finding that win.

Prediction 9 - 5 Second place in the SFC

Myrtle Beach Buccaneers

This leaves me with the final team to discuss, my own Buccaneers. At this point of the season I think Myrtle Beach is lucky to be standing at 5 - 2. The team has a middling at best offense with only 19 points per game, however they are lucky to boast one of the best defenses in the league (17 points against per game). Luckily the coaching staff knows the team is not a passing threat and has dedicated themselves to ground and pound. Owen Holloway has been a key piece adding almost 500 yards rushing from the QB position. That said, at some point you will need to pass the ball and Myrtle Beach just does not have the chops to make a passing attack work at the DSFL level. The loss against Norfolk highlighted this problem as multiple Pick sixes were thrown by the Myrtle Beach Quarterbacks. Further the Buccaneers have lost to Tijuana as well putting them in rough tie breaker shape. In the end I think the fairy tale ride will end for the Buccaneers this season. While they do have both Norfolk and Tijuana at home, I expect Myrtle Beach to lose one of those games and take themselves out of playoff contention. Myrtle Beach still should be proud of this season however as I do believe they will finish with a winning record for the year.

Prediction 8 - 6 Third place in the SFC

Final SFC Predictions
Norfolk Seawolves 10 - 4
Tijuana Luchadores 9 - 5
Myrtle Beach Buccaneers 8 - 6
Dallas Birddogs - Somewhere below .500

Bonus SFC Playoff Prediction

Norfolk 28 - Tijuana 17

Let me know your thoughts on the tightly contested SFC.

RE: The DSFL South Playoff Race - Jimi64 - 09-01-2020

Hope you're right! good stuff

RE: The DSFL South Playoff Race - Blasoon - 09-01-2020

Thanks for the kind words. We always appreciate them! As an aside, this was a really fun read. I hope to see more pieces like this. Great job!