International Simulation Football League
*Gutted by Gleel - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Gutted by Gleel (/showthread.php?tid=25375)

*Gutted by Gleel - Crodyman - 09-03-2020

Primetime in downtown Duluth, Minnesota, and the Quack Shack is quaking.

THUMP-THUMP

THUMP-THUMP

My breathing is heavy, labored, with each inhalation of cold night air searing my lungs as they cry out desperately for more oxygen. It's nearing the end of the fourth quarter, and I'm tired. The Portland offensive line has bullied our defensive front for most of the game, trading blows back and forth like two heavyweight boxers going the distance. Portland is one of the best teams in the league, and more than anything they would like their shot at revenge for losing to the Duck Squad in their own stadium earlier this season.

THUMP-THUMP
THUMP-THUMP

The crowd is cheering and stamping their boots in time. The sound of thousands of pounding feet resounds, acting as a heartbeat to every Minnesota fan watching the action with bated breath. I focus on the Minnesota heartbeat as I walk over to the huddle. I hear Chainbreaker rallying the defense, telling us if we can stop them here, then that's the game. I look at the line of scrimmage--The Pythons are one yard away from a first down. While we on the defense have been doing a good job keeping this a low scoring affair, there is no time to be complacent in the slightest, as this Portland team can still strike quickly and stun everyone in this stadium.

THUMP-THUMP
THUMP-THUMP

"Gleel! Pay attention!" Chainbreaker barks at me, snapping me back into focus. "You're going to shoot the A gap to stop the runner if they call a dive play to the Running Back; if the QB keeps it, make him pay." His voice is loud and strained over the raucous crowd, but I hear him loud and clear. I raise my voice to a near shout above the crowd.

"I got it, brother! Guys, this is our house! We control the ball here! If we don't give them an inch, we can end this game right now and put our team back in the race for the playoffs!"

THUMP-THUMP
THUMP-THUMP

"I just want to say it's been a pleasure going to war with y'all today. Now let's go win this ducking game! Family on three: One, Two, Three, FAMILY!"

The huddle breaks and we get into position. It's a MLB Blitz in man coverage, and I take my position and get ready for the snap. In those waning moments before the snap, I begin to think about how I've been shut down most of this game, and most of the last two games as well. There is an initial burst of self-doubt and shame, but it's not to late to make a statement: I just have to bring down the ballcarrier. I just gotta Gleel out.

THUMP-THUMP
THUMP-THUMP

The ball is snapped to Howitzer and I keep my eyes on him as I lurch forward, seeing the offensive linemen part just enough for me to slip through. Wide receivers take off down the field out of my sight, and the coverage follows them. There is a moment of sheer panic when I realize he's not handing the ball off! Time for plan B. . .

As I go to slide past the center, he manages to get a hand on me, but it's no use. I bully through his outstretched arm and see Howitzer's eyes are downfield a moment before he locks eyes with me. I huff and puff like a man possessed as I sprint towards him with malevolent intent. He begins to try and backpedal. It's too late.

Gotcha!

THUD

I bend my knees to lower my pad level to his chest and drive my body into his. I taste copper as I realize I've bitten my tongue as we go tumbling to the ground. Somewhere in the distance, a whistle is lost among the din of 60,000 people on their feet cheering. Turnover on downs. Ducks ball with less than two minutes to go. The game is ours.

I stand up quickly as I realize I need to do a sack dance! I've never been a good dancer, so right there, in the biggest moment of my DSFL career, with 60,000 people watching, I begin to do the Macarena!

Even over the roar of the crowd I can hear the rest of the Duck boys laughing at my silly gestures, and I join them in laughing too. It's been a long road in the DSFL this season, but for right now, things are good in Minnesota.

(750 words)

RE: Gutted by Gleel - Cody - 09-03-2020

Love the Quack Shack in Duluth. Great wings!

RE: Gutted by Gleel - GlimsTC - 09-04-2020

Crody you are seriously one of the greatest dude's in the league. Always great to see these fun and dramatic media pieces by you! Keep up the great work my man.