International Simulation Football League
A look at stat priorities for Safeties - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Statistical Analysis (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=153)
+---- Thread: A look at stat priorities for Safeties (/showthread.php?tid=2574)

A look at stat priorities for Safeties - 7hawk77 - 07-24-2017

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]A look at stat priorities for Safeties, Correlating attributes to results.
[/div]

Greetings,

Today I'm going to be presenting the data on Safeties. This is the final defensive analysis, I'm unsure if I'll work my way to offense as of yet.

If you want a too long, didn't read: Basically this data seems really inconclusive so just turn away now.

Anyways, One thing I'd like to note is I left Isiah Rashad out of this data. He was flexing in as a cornerback even though he was listed as a Safety, and it's pretty easy to tell based on his number of passes defended (you know, his PD being like 5-7 times more then everyone other safety).

Anyways, I added his data in to the CB post and added updated priorities in an additional comment. It was pretty interesting how one player changed the stat priority. This is mainly because his build was so different and the results he achieved were good. That CB update is probably more interesting then anything found below.

Anyways, on with the show.
Safety results

[Image: faUMuPJ.png]
Safety attributes

[Image: ufRqm2e.png]
First up, tackling

[Image: DpIgasu.png]

Stat priority is Speed, Hands, Agility and Intelligence.

Interesting to note that Strength doesn't seem to have a strong correlation. The free safeties made a lot of tackles so this seems to be decently significant data.

Next up is TFL. There were only 5 instances of this so take this with a grain of salt.

[Image: C1m2Oo3.png]

Stat priority:
Hands > Intelligence > Agility > Speed
Honestly, I think this is just too random, I don't see how hands plays such a big roll in TFL.

Forced Fumbles is up next. Again, this is pretty random so use at your own risk.
[Image: tXkNKxg.png]

Stat priority:
Intelligence > Hands > Agility > Speed

I find this pretty interesting, again strength doesn't seem to matter that much for fumbles, more intelligence and hands.

Alright, Finally to the good stuff, Interceptions:

[Image: MNMg6Bw.png]
Stat priority:

Strength > Agility > Speed

Alright, this is pretty interesting, this is completely different then the CB stat priority. I'm honestly not sure why strength is so important here but it's a pretty high correlation value at .59.
These results are strange, so use them with caution. The speed and agility make sense, the Safety just gets to the ball when the QB didn't realize he could.

Finally passes defended.

[Image: PM8oOfA.png]

Stat priority:
Strength > Tackling > Agility

I didn't see why these stats mattered for passes defend, but actually I think I figured it out. I'm guessing that this has to do with safeties basically smashing in to a wideout while they catch and they get hit so hard that they just drop the ball. Seriously, this is just a guess... who knows? /shrug

In conclusion I think this is definitely the worst findings out of all the defensive positions.

The safety position seems to have a lot of variance going on when plays go their way. If I were a safety, I'm not sure if I would follow any of these stat priorties (Other than probably tackles and getting some strength since it seems to matter with PD and interceptions).

This concludes analyzing every defensive position. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot.

GRADED

@Saliva^
@ckroyal92

SJS

A look at stat priorities for Safeties - timeconsumer - 07-24-2017

I think the problem with trying to correlate safeties is that they are used all over the field. Rashad is a safety playing CB. Petrakis is a safety playing CB. Verns is a safety playing LB. Etc.

A look at stat priorities for Safeties - bovovovo - 07-24-2017

Good stuff my man.

I think one problem with this kind of stuff (that is absolutely not your fault) is how small of a sample size we're working with... there aren't that many players and there aren't that many games played and the differences right now between stats isn't typically all that much. Mix all that together and you can find some wacky correlations, but you've been doing a great job at pointing all that out.

I like this series a lot though! Keep it up

A look at stat priorities for Safeties - Dangles13 - 07-24-2017

I'd definitely like to see you revisit this data in 4-5 seasons.

(07-24-2017, 07:46 PM)Dangles13 Wrote:I'd definitely like to see you revisit this data in 4-5 seasons.

Yeah that's the plan. I have it easily importable for the future.