International Simulation Football League
*Portland Pythons Recap: S25 ISFL Draft - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Portland Pythons Recap: S25 ISFL Draft (/showthread.php?tid=26136)

*Portland Pythons Recap: S25 ISFL Draft - Arkz - 09-26-2020

(Before we get started, two quick notes. First, these are all personal reactions and not a reflection of Portland Python management or any of the other folks in Portland. Second, these TPE totals were pulled middle of the day on Saturday, so there's more than a few folks who haven't been updated yet and are thus missing on a huge chunk of TPE.)

Welcome one and all to another edition of the Portland Python Recap. A few days ago we looked at the DSFL Award winners for the Portland Pythons, and now we're going to look at the recent draftees for the Pythons in the ISFL Draft. A whopping 22 Pythons were taken in the draft, and there were some folks who were taken later than they should have, and some people just at the right time. We'll take a look at these folks from the Python Perspective, and talk a little bit about each one. After that, we'll take a look at some overall observations and some trends lines. But first, let's look at the picks themselves. 

Round 1
Pick 2: Dan Foster, CB -  YKW 
TPE: 320
Reaction: This feels a little bit like patting myself on the back here, so its a bit awkward but since I was the first Portland pick, let's talk about it. Surprisingly, I was the second cornerback in a row. I'm sure someone can look up if that's ever happened before with the top two picks both being corners, but it was pretty neat. I had numerous conversations with Fly and PMoney, and I can't be happier to be on the Wraiths. They are a team with a championship pedigree, and its great to be on the ground floor for the retooling before another Ultimus run. I'd like to thank qWest and Kanako for bringing me into Portland and allowing me to help out as much as I did, which helped my draft stock here I think. Excited to get started! 

Round 2
Pick 16: Chuck Roth, OL -  ARI 
TPE: 306
Reaction: zEagle, aka Chuck Roth, is a first round talent, full stop. Unfortunately for him, this is one of the deepest drafts in a long time, particularly at the top. He's also an offensive lineman, which was an immediate need for everyone given TPE needed to be better than a bot in the ISFL. Still, zEagle is an incredibly active and supportive member of the community, particularly in Portland. Sim testing, war rooming, you name it, zEagle is there. This is a great pick up for Arizona, who got a first round talent a little later because of a few reasons out of his control. This is  a guy who is probably going to be a GM at some point, and I can't wait to see what happens for him. 

Pick 21: Davriel Lavigne, S -  HON
TPE: 245
Reaction: These next two picks don't need much of a preamble. Raven has been a great talent for the Pythons and a seasoned veteran of the league. We know that Davriel would go here, since Raven is a GM for Honolulu, but if that wasn't the case then Davriel probably goes in the first otherwise. Its been a joy playing with Raven this last season and being a dominant force in the coverage game. 

Pick 27: Dave Batista, TE - COL 
TPE: 253
Reaction: The Animal, Frick Nasty. Once again, a pick we all knew would go in the second round to his (former) position as General Manager for the Colorado Yeti. Batista started out as a blocking tight end for the Pythons, but by the end of the season was a vertical threat and one of the leaders in the passing game. But even beyond that, Frick has been a joy to have on the team, and I know Batista will crush it for the Yeti. 

Round 3
Pick 33: Donald McBobby, LB - YKW 
TPE: 294
Reaction: The quiet, dominant force for the Pythons on defense, Donald McBobby made big waves earlier in the season with his play. He was dominant in terms of generating turnovers, and while other linebackers on the Pythons caught up in terms of tackles, McBobby was the one to make the big impact plays. His player, Bosox, is a bit quieter, but always dependable and as you can see, a great earner. In other years, McBobby is potentially a first round talent, but its great having him in the third here. Thrilled to get to play with him on the Wraiths! 

Pick 34: Honky-Tonk Haywood, DT - PHI 
TPE: 227
Reaction: Haywood was a late bloomer, there really isn't another way to put it. He came in under the radar into the league (8th rounder in the DSFL draft), but after that he started catching up in a hurry. He's had some dominant games for the Pythons, and has been a joy to have in the locker room. If he had a faster start to his career, he was a potential second round talent, but better late than never! Haywood will be a big asset to the Liberty, both on and off the field. 

Round 4
Pick 44: Darren Pama, RB - ARI 
TPE: 306
Reaction: This is an injustice. As my fellow pre-draft-TE-that-then-switched, I feel a bit of disrespect here. Pama has one of the highest bank accounts in the league, not just the S25 class. He write great media, and is a great earner at the position. My only guess is that there wasn't a big need at running back in the league and so Pama fell down the draft boards. Either that or people were expecting to be taken earlier and someone on AZ noticed he was still available in the fourth. Either way, Arizona get's an absolute steal here and I for one have front-row tickets to the Darren Pama Revenge Tour. The rest of the league better watch out, ztarwarz is coming for them. 

Pick 55: Angelo Cerilli, DT - COL 
TPE: 209
Reaction: Angeloc is a great guy. Not as active in the locker room as he was earlier, mostly due to real life stuff, he's still found a way to earn and be a big part of the team. While he needs a bit more seasoning compared to Haywood, Angelo has still been a tremendous defensive tackle for the Pythons and they are hoping they can get him back for the S25 campaign. He's a big presence, and would leave a big gap for the team. 

Round 5
Pick 58: Marc Hamel, OL - NYS  
TPE: 193
Reaction: The second of Portland's offensive lineman taken off the board, Hamel has active in the locker room and steadily earning all season. While zEagle's Chuck Roth captured more of the headlines, Hamel still found himself with a Game Ball during the season and with a solid amount of pancake numbers. Dependable and solid, he'll help out the new New York team after he's amassed a bit more TPE. 

Pick 70: Etrigan T. Slayer, DE - CHI 
TPE: 280 
Reaction: One of the top defensive ends for the most recent DSFL season, the demon Etrigan has been the main force on the defensive line all season. He led the league in tackles-for-loss, and was a dependable earner. Once more, user Thiath is incredibly active in the locker room and a loud voice for the team. A fitting destination for a demon, we'll see if the Butchers call up Etrigan this season or if he needs a bit more time in the DSFL. If its the latter, Portland will be happy to have him. 

Round 6
Pick 71: Buster Bawls, RB - NYS 
TPE: 196
Reaction: The rare, elusive, blocking running back. Buster was multifaceted for the Pythons all season. Although not amassing the raw stats that Christiansen (more on him in a moment) and Pama, nevertheless he still found ways to contribute yards on the ground, yards through the air, and pancakes. Rumors are that Buster is being called up immediately, and if so it'll be a loss for Portland. 

Pick 74: Anders Christiansen, RB - COL 
TPE: 208
Reaction: The third Python running back taken in this draft, Anders found himself as the secondary back to Pama for most of the season, but still found a way to contribute a good amount of yards on the year. User Blues is a hockey guy, and as a Bruins fan its difficult for me to say anything nice here, but he is a good guy and the Yeti are picking up another strong locker room presence. 

Pick 82: Elijah Torres, CB - SAR 
TPE: 90
Reaction: Toasty! A veteran of the league, Toasty has been a voice for the Pythons in the locker room and the war room, even if his player hasn't been as impactful. Still, the potential is there and that's what Sarasota is drafting for. Torres will have a chance if Foster is called up, and will be given a chance to contribute early if he wants it. 

Pick 84: Matty Martinsson, LB - SJS  
TPE: 97
Reaction: Another member of Portland's strong linebacking corps, Martinsson has been dependable all year long. For a while, he was leading the team in tackles after a few 10+ tackle games, so the potential is there. User Trouser Snake is also helpful and a good person, and here's to hoping he can build off this first season and continue to excel. 

Round 7
Pick 92: Ben Anabender, CB - ARI 
TPE: 196
Reaction: Ben Anabender started the season right in line with Foster in terms of TPE production. However, real life responsibilities have gotten in the way for user DNeon, but still may be cleared up. If that happens, Arizona gets another strong earner at cornerback. As things stand now, Anabender has the potential to be the main starting cornerback for the Pythons next season, depending on call ups. 

Pick 98: TJ Evans, WR - SJS 
TPE: 85
Reaction: TJ Evans was quiet, but still managed to contribute a bit on the field during the season. He's earned a bit in his time, but will have to step it up a bit if he wants to see the field in the ISFL at some point. 

In the name of brevity, I'm going to skip doing reactions for rounds eight and nine, but here are the picks, their TPE, and destinations below: 

Round 8
Pick 99: Sory An'Tyler, WR - NYS 
TPE: 67
Pick 100: Bobby Hoffman, DE - BER
TPE: 94
Pick 105: Hugh McGree, OL -  HON
TPE: 63
Pick 106: Dakota Grossman, WR - ARI
TPE: 63
Round 9
Pick 110: Naman Fletcher, CB - SAR 
TPE: 65
Pick 113: Hank Sakner, DE - NYS 

TPE: 67

So there you have it! An overview of the Pythons draft! When looking at teams and destinations, it looks a little like this: 

Arizona:  ARI ARI ARI ARI
New York:  NYS NYS NYS NYS
Colorado:  COL COL COL
Yellowknife:  YKW YKW
Honolulu:  HON HON
Sarasota:  SAR SAR
San Jose:  SJS SJS
Berlin:  BER
Chicago:  CHI
Philadelphia:  PHI

So I'm not sure what Portland did to offend the fine folks in Baltimore, Austin, Orange county, and New Orleans, but there won't be any snake rookies in the upcoming S25 in the ISFL. Well, with the exception of Austin who are all snakes by default, but that's besides the point. 

Overall, this was a very strong S25 class of rookies and I believe the draft reflected this. Its been a joy to play with each and every single one of my fellow members of the S25 class, and I can't wait to see what they do in the next season and beyond. No matter where their ISFL journeys may take them, we also will have Portland and the games we've played together, and that means something, even in sim football. 

For now, all eyes turn to the upcoming S26 class, which has some real promise and impressive users. We'll take a look at a report similar to this one next season, but until then, thanks for reading and go Pythons! 

Code:
Word count: 2,004

RE: Portland Pythons Recap: S25 ISFL Draft - Trautner - 09-26-2020

I love it. So many great Pythons this class. Congrats to all!