International Simulation Football League
*Quick Post Draft Interview with DeSoto - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Quick Post Draft Interview with DeSoto (/showthread.php?tid=26137)

*Quick Post Draft Interview with DeSoto - Jimi64 - 09-26-2020

We caught up with Jimi DeSoto after some of the fanfare had died down from the S25 ISFL draft. As he shared a couple laughs before temporarily stepping away from his family, he readjusted his new Liberty cap and shook my hand.

Q: So you’ve just been drafted by Philadelphia! What are your initial reactions?

A: I’m beyond excited. Coming into this draft I had no expectations, and I frankly didn’t expect Philly to take a chance on me. They won’t regret it. This is a team that hungry and eager for wins. That’s exactly the environment I want to be in. I seriously can’t wait for the next season. We’re really going to shock some people who are used to the Philly of this past season.

Q: The majority of mocks put out by the media had you going in the first or second round, but you fell to the third. Have any thoughts about that?

A: Honestly, once I fell out the second I was a bit disappointed, but that was made better by the fact that two of my dear friends and teammates were taken in the second, so I was pumped for them. You never really know what’s going on in the war rooms, and there were a lot of really great players in this class, so I understand some other guys getting looks from teams. I was still taken very early in the third, so in the end it wasn’t a big deal, but I’d be lying if falling a bit hasn’t given me even more motivation for this next season. I definitely want to make the teams that passed on me regret their decision.

Q: Speaking of your fellow rookies, the Liberty grabbed a fair bit of your Seawolf teammates in this draft!

A: They sure did! I’m sure our grit and motivation this past season impressed them. Sam Roes, Brian Nelson, and Flap’n Chick will be a great group that will become the backbone of the Liberty. With those players around me, it’s already starting to feel like home. That’s what’s most important to me anyway, feeling at home with my new roster just like Norfolk has been. I wish they could’ve drafted all of our guys honestly, because I guarantee every player that came out of Norfolk this season is class.

Q: What are your expectations for this next season?

A: Well, it’s no secret that Philadelphia didn’t have a great season last year. We’re in a position to build, and it seems to me that the front office has the right perspective and attitude to move towards success. I can’t promise tons of wins right off the bat, but if you’re a Liberty fan, stay tuned. You’re going to be seeing some fun football that will soon enough turn into winning football.

Q: What's the first thing you're going to do in Philadelphia?

A: My stomach is already growling. I’m going to find an authentic Philly cheesesteak and chow down. I’ve heard that Pat’s King of Steaks is where it originated, but I think I’m going to be taking a trip around the city and sampling any I can get. I have to say though, I’m not sure about cheese whiz on them, but I’ll listen to the locals on that one, because they’ll know best.

Q: What’s it going to be like leaving Norfolk?

A: That’s going to be one of the hardest parts of this process. My teammates and Norfolk’s general managers have helped me to grow greatly as a person and as a player. We came so close to winning the Ultimini, so I can’t help but feel I’m leaving unfinished business behind with my move to Philly. However, I’ve talked with the front office, and they’ve assured me that their goal has always been to develop me for the bigger stage. It honestly feels great to have management that are truly interested in what’s best for me. It’s no wonder they won general managers of the year. At this moment there’s still a chance I’ll be spending a year in Norfolk to build up my skills, but a final decision will be made soon. If not, I hope to still stop in and help out with some things if they need me, and one day, if I reincarnate, perhaps I will find myself in a Seawolves uniform once again.

Q: Any last words you’d like say to the fans?

A: RING THE BELL!

With that, DeSoto took out a giant foam hammer he had been hiding behind his back and bopped me on the head.