International Simulation Football League
*Ranking Potential Destinations - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Ranking Potential Destinations (/showthread.php?tid=27131)

Pages: 1 2

*Ranking Potential Destinations - 37thchamber - 11-05-2020

Sucker. 

Confession time. I generally don't like those lists. They're mostly arbitrary. At best, they're pointless cash grabs... and at worst, they're a draftee's attempt to influence where they land. Don't do that. Just be honest with GMs about where you stand. The overwhelming majority of GMs will not draft you and hold you hostage if they know you don't want to be there. So let them do their scouting, and figure things out. I don't care if you prefer the Otters to the Outlaws because you like their colours best. If you've not been in the team's locker room, or tested extensively to see how your player could potentially fit into their team... how could you possibly know whether you'd prefer it? There's also the possibility that you could rub your future teammates the wrong way with an arbitrary judgment. That can be pretty awkward.

Yes, yes I understand that these articles are usually just a cheap and easy way to get a decent word count and with it, cash... and they're not serious. I don't begrudge anyone their cheap earnings. Lord knows I've done it before. But if you want to actually set yourself apart, and increase your chances of landing on a team you want to be a part of, destination rankings are not the way to do it.

Clickbait title aside, I've been through this process twice before. This is my third player. I've literally been a part of this league longer than all but maybe... a dozen other people. I've been a GM for a couple of drafts, and I've been in a war room for 22 of the 25 seasons this league has been running for. Does this make me an expert? Nope. But it does mean I have insight that a lot of you probably don't. 

If you know me, you'll know I'm generally a forthright kind of guy. I have been described as "brutally honest" before... which if I'm being true to myself is probably a generous way of saying I'm a bit of an asshole. And I don't dispute that. It's a fair description. But I stand by it. When speaking to GMs (or representatives) seeking to draft my player(s) over the years, I've not once tried to conceal my intent or my opinion of a team/players/GM etc. I'll give everyone a fair shot, but if you approach me and I don't really want to play for your team, I'll tell you as much. Whether that's "I don't see this working out" or the more subtle "Why should I pick you over [other team]?" ... you can be pretty clear that I at the very least, need convincing. That in itself is a pretty big indicator that I'm not all that interested. As an aside, the best free agency pitch I have ever received in any league came a couple weeks ago. The GM actually called me and plotted out how they see my role in the team moving forward, and how they would attempt to help me realise my player's full potential. ISFL GMs... step your game up, yo.

With this player, I've told everyone straight up that I have no intention of playing in the DSFL for longer than I have to (as much as I get along just fine with my DSFL GMs and teammates) because my end-goal is to make the Hall of Fame with a wide receiver. In telling GMs this, I set expectations. They know I (probably) won't be happy with a bit-part role, nor am I likely to accept any request to switch positions (though I have explicitly clarified that bit, and accepted that there is a caveat, potentially). Admittedly, I have more room to make this kind of up-front pseudo-demand given my previous players etc... but the principle should be the same for any player. No GM wants to be the guy who passed on a future HOFer because they wanted assurances that they'd have some help getting there. I have also been clear about this with my DSFL GMs. They also know that I'd be willing to abandon my aims if at any point I consider them to be no longer feasible -- and yes, I believe I can gauge this to a reasonable level of accuracy before season 27 starts.

If I were to rank possible draft destinations now, all I'd really be saying is stuff that most people probably already know. I clearly don't get along with some people, so I obviously don't want to be drafted to the same team as them if I can avoid it. But... I literally went from Hawks lifer to first overall pick for Philly (and sharing a locker room with probably my least favourite person in any sim league) before. So clearly I'm not entirely opposed to being on a team I don't like, or sharing a locker room with someone I don't like. It's also worth noting that I've never moved teams in free agency. My last player was with one team for all eleven seasons of his career, and I was, until about a week ago, still in the war room for that team despite having retired my last player some 4 seasons ago. Clearly I have some close ties to the people there. My player is a wide receiver and I'm aiming for the Hall, so obviously I won't really want to go to a rebuilding team unless I have a get-out clause. Similarly, I'll be more likely to prefer a team with a good quarterback. Lots of things like this would form the basis of any draft destination ranking I were to make. And frankly, most of it should be clear to GMs long before they decide whether they want to draft me or not. Differentiating between teams that meet most or all of those criteria would be arbitrary and no help to anyone. Except me, I guess, because cash. Though it's not like I'm struggling there is it?

I guess if you're a GM reading this and still unclear on whether I'd be willing to play for you, you should probably ask. It might save us both some hassle in the not-too-distant future. 

Instead of doing destination rankings, I would encourage people to talk about their goals in media. Talk about what you want out of this league, and your player's career. Talk about what annoys you, what would put you off. What kind of atmosphere do you want in a locker room? Do you even care? These things matter. This is the information that will set you apart. GMs and players alike will talk about TPE all the time but in truth, it matters a lot less than most people make it out to. I'd take the good locker room presence who consistently picks up 10 TPE per week over the max earning, yet divisive member every. damn. time.

Another thing... as a player, a draftee... do your homework. Look at the teams who approach you and appraise their situation. See how that ties with your career aims. For example, unless I see a top-end QB with a good four or five seasons of high performance on the roster, what incentive do I have to lock myself in for longer, given my career aims? A bad defence isn't a deal-breaker, either. In fact, since going behind early usually means more passing plays to "catch up" ... a good QB on a team with a mediocre or bad defensive unit is arguably my dream scenario. I'm also aware that a WR at my current level is extremely unlikely to get any substantial amount of minutes on an ISFL team... so how do I mitigate that? It's all well and good going to a team with a good QB, but if I'd get called up earlier and/or have more throws sent my way at a middling team instead, that might be better for me. If you can, try and test scenarios to see what you can do at various teams. For example, I tested my projected 250 TPE build at a few ISFL teams and can say with confidence that I won't be much of a dropoff, if at all, for some teams in terms of offensive production.

When I say homework, I don't just mean how you fit the team in player terms either. See if you can get an invite to their locker room (restricted perms obvs) and judge the vibe. Just because you're a draftee, doesn't mean you have no say in things. Treat it like you would a free agency approach. What's in it for you? I haven't asked for LR invites this time around partly because I can't see it being an issue with anyone who has approached so far, but in other situations I might. Particularly if I have suspicions that I won't "fit in" with the group.

Anyway, to answer the question implied by the thread title, and in case it wasn't obvious already, I don't have any real preference at this point. There are three teams I think would be best for my HOF chances -- mainly because they have good QBs and/or succession plans at QB that should mitigate any rebuild and impact my production -- and everyone else is equal because I don't really have any reason to put you below anyone else. Well... except one team. You know who you are. And tbh, even then, it wouldn't impact how much I update etc. I'd just probably stay out of the LR and/or want a player option in case shit hits the fan. The vast majority of teams, I'd probably want a player option actually. Nothing personal. I don't know most of you.

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - zaynzk - 11-05-2020

“Pointless Cash Grab” then writes an entire article complaining about that to get money lol

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - Mooty99 - 11-05-2020

Time to draft you to Key West, wait .......

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - 37thchamber - 11-05-2020

(11-05-2020, 01:22 PM)zaynzk Wrote: “Pointless Cash Grab” then writes an entire article complaining about that to get money lol

I have neither the time nor the crayons...

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - White Cornerback - 11-05-2020

37th must be really poor if he needs the money from this kappa

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - Opera_Phantom - 11-05-2020

I wish people named the users they don't get along with.

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - White Cornerback - 11-05-2020

(11-05-2020, 01:45 PM)Opera_Phantom Wrote: I wish people named the users they don't get along with.
was a reference to kendrick for any OG in the area

(also u cant bro thats harassment)

while were at it for my own personal reasons

@Opera_Phantom fuck u cunt try me m8

(11-05-2020, 01:45 PM)Opera_Phantom Wrote: I wish people named the users they don't get along with.

lmao jay got jokes i see

RE: Ranking Potential Destinations - Guriinwoodo - 11-05-2020

Thanks for the article! I think this is good advice for recreates and new players alike! A couple questions if you don't mind!

Which teams, in your opinion, have the most fun and active LRs?

If you had to rank your top 3 GMs in terms of general likeability, knowledge of the sim, and dedication to their team... who would they be?!

(11-05-2020, 02:08 PM)Guriinwoodo Wrote: Thanks for the article! I think this is good advice for recreates and new players alike! A couple questions if you don't mind!

Which teams, in your opinion, have the most fun and active LRs?

If you had to rank your top 3 GMs in terms of general likeability, knowledge of the sim, and dedication to their team... who would they be?!

I can't really answer because I've not been in most LRs, to be honest. As for GMs, again, I don't really know enough about most of them to give a proper opinion, but I can say that Austin, Chicago and Philly have solid leadership that I've either worked with, or played for in the past, so I rate them. Would be less likely to want options in those cases, depending on how my testing turns out.

NOLA, New York and Berlin all look to be in good hands too. Orange County have never looked like they've had leadership problems in the entire time I've been here, and San Jose have had pretty consistent leadership for so long it would be odd to think there was anything to be concerned about there. I dunno I'm not sure there's anyone I'd be worried about. You hear things around the league with some GMs but until I experience it myself, I don't really put too much stock in it. Can't say I've seen any GM be unreasonable when a player approaches and says "yeah I'm not feeling it, can I get a trade?" so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. But if that does worry you, options are a nice insurance policy in case a deal can't be made.