International Simulation Football League
*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Darren Smallwood in-depth interview (/showthread.php?tid=2777)

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - tlk742 - 07-31-2017

With everything coming out of the draft, how did you feel?
I was picked 53rd in the Season 2 draft. The average wide receiver picking was 53, if we went by numbers alone, I should be the most average receiver.

But your performance this preseason has been anything but average.
That is true. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the most touchdowns this preseason of any wide receiver, no?

That is correct.
Well, look, I get the hype. I appreciate the fans of Yellowknife, I appreciate the news reporters calling me the “next great wide receiver” in all their hot takes, but this is the preseason. If the preseason was an indication of the regular season, then the Hawks would be our defending champions, not the Outlaws. My work has just begun. I have to keep improving to help the team succeed and do well. I have to keep giving one hundred and ten percent with every play and I have to keep pushing myself to be the best I can be.

What would you attribute to your success at Yellowknife
The support that the Wraiths has provided from 30 seconds after the draft has been nothing short of stellar. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, one of the biggest boons I’ve had is the privilege to learn under Josh Garden. Two minutes upon the draft being done, he took me under his wing and I’ve been soaking in anything and everything he has said. I won’t lie, it also helps that the greatest wide receiver to ever play in the NSFL is opposite me on the field as well. Top level corners can’t focus on me, they have to stay on Garden as best they can otherwise, well he’s going to score and score often. But it also helps to have a great quarterback in Orosz and a legend of a tight end in Maddox.

People are saying that you and C.A. Chess are rivals, is that true?
*laughs* It’s kind of true. I always do better when I have a reason to push myself, Chess seemed like a good choice. So at the draft I went up to him and said, “let’s push ourselves to be rivals of each other”. He brushed me off and asked who I was. Well, if that didn’t light a fire under me, I don’t know what would. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Chess and I hope this rivalry blooms and is talked about for years to come. That said, he recently made a press statement about our rivalry and I want to point out that I do not take personal accomplishments over team accomplishments, I just plan on doing both.

Is that also how you got your nickname of “Checkers”?
The rivalry is the reason yes. I kind of like it though. Yes, Chess is a much more complex game, but checkers has more importance placed on the end of the board, or endzone, if you will. It was either Cushing or Maddox who came up with it, and the other one ran with it, and now it’s spread through the locker room like wildfire.

Who is the funniest person in the locker room?
That’s tough. Maddox and Cushing are definitely the most present with their humor, but Akselsen and Marcus “Weapon X” Kane can drop these lines in there that have the whole room roaring in laughter. If anyone is really stoic, it's Bork.

Really? Kane? I figured with the hit list that he has running, he’d be stoic and serious.
He puts his heart and mind into the game, and that hit list is real, but he has a side to him that often isn’t seen and his humor shows there.

Yellowknife is not really known for its social life, is that ok with you?
Absolutely, the team bonds a heck of a lot more, and honestly, there’s nowhere I would rather be during my NSFL career than with the guys in Yellowknife.

Lot of fantasy gurus have you as a NSFL fantasy football sleeper pick, how does that feel?
I don’t do much with fantasy football. I would rather get a win for my team than a win on fantasy football. So good on them with their hot takes, but the preseason is just that, preseason.

Last question, predictions for the season?
I would be lying if I didn’t say that I expect to hold the Ultimus by the end of the year. But the only way to keep doing that is if I keep pushing myself to be the best I can be, and making Garden-Smallwood the dynamic receiving duo for years to come.

Code:
790 words

@Ballerstorm
@Bzerkap
@4D Chess
@SimmerDownBruhh
@Aenir
@Dangles13
@kckolbe
@bovovovo

GRADED

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - 4D Chess - 07-31-2017

Should be an exciting season my man! Best of luck, you'll be an extremely worthy opponent

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - SimmerDownBruhh - 07-31-2017

It was definitely Cushing that started the "Checkers" movement. Lol

Loved the interview, brotha!

Let's take it to the end and grab the Ultimus!

YKW #WraithsNation YKW

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - bovovovo - 07-31-2017

My man!

This is great stuff, super glad that we're teammates

I'm hurt that you think I'm stoic though Tongue

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - Bzerkap - 07-31-2017

Checkers! King this man!

C. A. Chess stay in yo lane!

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - tlk742 - 07-31-2017

(07-31-2017, 07:15 AM)bovovovo Wrote:My man!

This is great stuff, super glad that we're teammates

I'm hurt that you think I'm stoic though  Tongue

D'Brickishaw Ferguson was considered the stoic and almost philisophical, the teammates on the Jets loved him. I mean no ill will Smile

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - Dangles13 - 07-31-2017

(07-31-2017, 06:45 AM)tlk742 Wrote:D'Brickishaw Ferguson was considered the stoic and almost philisophical, the teammates on the Jets loved him.  I mean no ill will  Smile

Has there ever been as great a name as D'Brickashaw?

*Darren Smallwood in-depth interview - Admin - 07-31-2017

Oh damn the Wraiths got a steal here!