International Simulation Football League
*Owen Taylor Interview - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Owen Taylor Interview (/showthread.php?tid=2817)

*Owen Taylor Interview - Darnellthebeast - 08-01-2017

We sat down with Owen Taylor, the defensive end for the Baltimore Hawks, right after the preseason finished. Here is our interview:

Do you find it beneficial lining up across from Kurt Hendrix, a top defensive end?
Oh absolutely. He’s one of the best defensive ends in the league and a guy you can learn a lot from. He’s got a ton of moves and has some really good tips on reads. There’s no way playing with a guy like that won’t help your game. Plus, from a purely selfish point of view, he’s probably going to be drawing a lot of double teams on the edge, which can only help give me more opportunities down the line.

How did you feel when you were drafted by the Baltimore Hawks this past season, with them being one of the worst teams in season 1?
There were three teams I was fairly certain I would be picked by, and the Hawks were one of them, so I wasn’t totally surprised. I know some people would’ve been upset about being drafted to a team that had such a rough year, but I’m not one of them. As long as you’ve got a solid group of guys to build around and leadership in place with a plan to improve, things will only get better. Baltimore’s GM really cares about making this team better and picked up some real studs in this draft. Add those guys in with some key returners from last year and we’re going to be a solid squad. I know it’s a bit of a cliché, but I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people this year. Besides, who doesn’t want to be drafted by a team where they can make an immediate impact? It’s a competitor’s dream.

Where do you see yourself by the end of this season? Three seasons? Your career?
My ultimate goal this year is to make the playoffs. I know that may surprise some people, but as I said before, we really made some big improvements compared to last year. My personal goal this year is 9 sacks and 14 tackles for loss. It’s a high bar, but there’s no point in setting goals if you don’t have to push yourself to reach them.

My goal for the next three seasons is to build the Hawks defensive line into the top line in the NSFL. We’re already off to a great start with arguably the best defensive end in the league with Kurt Hendrix, and defensive tackle Bert Metas, who last year had an impressive 11 sacks. This group could be special.

As far as for my career? My ultimate goal is to one day, hoist the Ultimus trophy, hopefully as a member of the Baltimore Hawks. Personal accolades are great, and I would love to be named to some pro-bowls, maybe even make the Hall of Fame someday, but nothing beats the thrill of being able to officially call yourself a member of the best team in the NSFL.

Do you have a role model? Who/why?
I’ve always looked up to Miami Dolphins great, Jason Taylor. The fact that we share the same last name is just icing on the cake. The guy was well known for being a great teammate, an incredibly hard worker, a tenacious defensive end, and just an all-around good guy. It’s hard to go wrong with a guy that won the Walter Peyton NFL Man of the Year award, was named to the 2000’s All-Decade Team, and named to the Hall of Fame. He is truly a great man.

What is your greatest strength?
My drive is my greatest strength, I just don’t quit. I was effectively shut out by the Legion in our second pre-season game, but I came out stronger than ever to finish the pre-season. I don’t let set-backs get me down and I am always looking at ways to improve myself. I’ve never been the best athlete, or the first guy picked for pretty much anything, but I’m always the one guy everyone wants on their team.

How do you feel about being drafted in the third round?
Honestly, I was shocked. There was a pretty big mock draft that came out that didn’t have me going in the first five rounds, and I wasn’t even listed in the top six defensive ends in a major draft preview. Obviously, never being drafted before, this was all the information I had to build off of, so I was expecting somewhere around the sixth or seventh round. Needless to say, when the Hawks called my name with the second pick in only the third round, I couldn’t believe it! To be only the third defensive end drafted, especially after coming out of school relatively unknown, was awesome and a huge honor. Now I just have to make sure I live up to that pick.

After your second game where you didn't record a single tackle, you seemingly "turned it on" and sacked the quarterback in each of the last two games. What changed?
Honestly, the Legion just had my number. I was able to get into the backfield for some QB hurries and took up a lot of space on the line, opening up opportunities for others, but it just didn’t lead to any stats for me. Obviously, we got the win, and that’s all that matters in the end, but getting stone-walled like that just didn’t sit well with me. I busted my ass at practice all week and stuck around with Hendrix and Metas after practice to get some extra work and film in. Those guys really know what they’re talking about, and it paid off for me. I look forward to redeeming myself tonight in our season opener against the Legion and proving that game was just a fluke.

Is there anyone you're looking to compete against?
Absolutely. As I said before, I absolutely need to redeem myself against the Legion’s line tonight and help get us our first win of the season. However, after tonight, I’m really looking forward to playing the OC Otters. They have what is arguably the best offensive line in the game. With the league MVP at one tackle, the sixth overall pick at the other, and the most consistently solid interior line in the entire NSFL, it’s hard to argue against them. If you really want to make people sit up and take notice, this is the team you want to have a career night against.

I had a solid night against them in the pre-season with 4 tackles, and 2 TFL, but I never got to put Boss on his back, and that bothers me. I really look forward to my next shot.

Words: 1128 words

Payout instructions: Please give 80% of pay to @manicmav36 and 20% of payout to @Darnellthebeast

*Owen Taylor Interview - manicmav36 - 08-01-2017

Thanks for putting this out there! Hopefully I'll get to interview you some day.