International Simulation Football League
*Excelsior's Daily Game Review #13 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Excelsior's Daily Game Review #13 (/showthread.php?tid=28174)

*Excelsior's Daily Game Review #13 - excelsior - 12-08-2020

I think I’m on game review #13  but honestly I couldn’t even tell you that. I can’t believe I’ve written so many, and gotten so much money off of this. I’ll keep trying to keep it daily and in a week it’ll be 20 game reviews hopefully and we can all celebrate that. This game review is supposed to make up for the one I missed, and I’ll still be making my 14th one tomorrow, and I published the 12th one earlier today.

For today’s game review I’m doing my usual RNG stuff that I introduced a couple game reviews ago. Between 1 and 26, the number is 7. Between 1 and 14, it’s 4. So we’ll be in season 7, week 4. Between 1 and 4 the number is 1, meaning we’ll be reviewing the SaberCats traveling to Colorado to take on the Yeti. Now, I’m not a league historian, and I’ve only been here a few weeks, maybe. It seems like I’ve been here a while, but in reality I couldn’t even tell you how long it was. I want to say 3 weeks. That seems about right. I’ve learnt a lot of stuff, heard a lot of stuff, and looking through the indexes a bunch for these articles, I know a lot of stuff. Now, some of you, from just looking at the season in which  this game was played, and the teams that played this game, you’ll know who won. Others will be confused at that statement I just made. Without further ado, let’s get right into the meat and potatoes.

Yeti brings the pressure on the first drive of the game, dialing up a blitz for the SaberCats, and Orosz having to dump the ball away at the last second to avoid a sack. A penalty on the Cats didn’t help them, and a sack afterwards put them in 3rd and 21, and they obviously couldn’t convert, so they punted. COL coaching staff goes aggressive on the first drive of the game, going for it on 4th and 2 from their own 39 yard line. Nuck manages to get the first down. Nuck drops the ball on a 3rd down pass though, and Colorado punts right back. SaberCats running game catches on fire, with 4 runs of 7+ yards. Throw in a couple of nice throws from Orosz and that’s how you go up 7-0 early. Orosz caps off the drive with a 10 yard strike to Smallwood in the endzone. On a 3rd and 10 for Colorado, the rookie Applehort throws a pass which is tipped by a lineman and intercepted by Hansen, who runs it back 30 yards. A sack and an incompletion later, it’s 3rd and 16 for SJS, and it looks like they’ll have to kick a FG here. Orosz lines up in the pocket, shotgun formation, snaps the ball, scrambles out of the pocket, rolls out to his right, no one’s open, rolls back to his left, throws a bullet to Jackson in the corner of the endzone and he toe taps it in for the TD. A helluva play that will surely go in the highlight reel. But the XP is no good, so it’s only 13-0. Yeti manages to sustain a drive and get a 1st down, but a sack on 3rd and 10 will force them to punt with 1 minute to go in the first quarter, down 13. SJS goes 3 and out with 3 straight incompletions. A terrible punt + a penalty sets up COL in good field position, and a couple good runs helps get them in FG range, where they end up kicking after the drive stalls out. A good return + a few good plays sets up SJS on Colorado’s 41, but a penalty and a sack make it 3rd and 29, and they can’t convert and have to punt. A sack on a 3rd and 2 on the next drive forces a punt from Colorado. On a 3rd and 10 on San Jose’s next drive, he throws back to back passes for 69 yards, but on a 3rd and 10 he only gets 7 yards. They kick a FG on a drive that featured only passes, and Orosz going 3/8 for 76 yards. A sack and a dropped pass kill the Yeti’s momentum, and they punt back to SJS. SJS gets great field position and goes on a tiny drive featuring a single 3rd down conversion en route to score another FG, putting them up 19-3 with 3 minutes to go in the first half. Back to back passes by Colorado for 42 yards helps them get set up in FG range and they kick a FG with 5 seconds left before halftime, making it 19-6 going into the half.

In the 2nd half, both teams opened up with drives that featured 2 sacks, and they both ended up going 3 and out. The Yeti go on a long drive, assisted by 2 SaberCats penalties, but also they managed to convert 2 3rd downs, but not the 3rd as they settle for another FG, making it 19-9. Orosz gets sacked twice again, and they have to punt. The Yeti go 3 and out and give the ball right back to SJS with 5 minutes left. SJS went on a long drive, where they managed to get 6 first downs, with Smallwood getting 41 yards on 4 carries, and Orosz topping off the drive with an 8 yard TD pass to Diaz, to set them up 26-9 to start the 4th quarter. On a crucial 3rd and 2 on Colorado’s next drive, they manage to convert with a run up the middle, But Applehort throws his 2nd int of the game to Bayley at the Colorado 38 yard line. SJS moves the ball well, featuring 4 consecutive plays with 6+ yards, and topped off with a Smallwood TD run up the middle for 1 yard. An 11 yard sack on the next drive seemed to have sealed the game, but Applehort found a receiver downfield for 22 yards, managing to convert a 3rd and 21 somehow. After that, they run 4 straight times and chew up 3 minutes of the clock, and the drive ended with a punt with 5 minutes to go in the game. SJS goes 3 and out, but they are up 24 points with 3 and a half minutes left, the game is over and they don’t care. Yeti is still fighting but a turnover on downs seals the game for realz. SJS runs out the clock and they win.

A boring game, but when this Yeti team is playing you’ll get boring games. This was part of their 2 season stretch with no wins where they went 0-28.

RE: Excelsior's Daily Game Review #13 - zaynzk - 12-08-2020

It’s incredible how far the Yeti have come since this it’s hard to even imagine the Yeti as a bad team nowadays