International Simulation Football League
*Weird Fantasy Happenings - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Weird Fantasy Happenings (/showthread.php?tid=28353)

*Weird Fantasy Happenings - ztarwarz - 12-19-2020

Fantasy in the real world can have really strange anomalies that don't generally make sense or seem almost random to most people who pay a modest amount of attention to the sport that they have a league for. In the last 5 years of Fantasy Football for example, we've seen a player go from bust, to one of the best fantasy seasons of all time, back to bust, and injuries made about half the first round of most drafts lesser in quality or even useless if you picked Barkley. However, in the ISFL, things are TRULY a lot more random, because the difference between a breakout game and a mediocre to terrible one is very slim and can sometimes happen in the same game.

This season has been pretty weird for multiple reasons, but let's start with the Wide Receivers. If you go to the bot (last updated week 9) you will see 3 wide receivers who almost nobody put on their fantasy team, with around 30% for one of them, and around 10% for the other two. Granted, one of those wide receivers almost certainly fell out of the top 10 this week due to not catching any touchdowns, but the other two are still up there. Garfield Despacito Jr was supposedly the 3rd target in the OCO offense, not counting the running back with over 1000 TPE. However, due in part to sim luck, Despacito stormed out to a torrid pace in touchdowns, pretty much lapping the field at some points.  He's fallen down to earth a bit over the past few weeks, but he still leads all receivers by 2 touchdowns and is tied for 4th in total touchdowns, and is still giving the people who own him a top 5 receiver. The other two receivers who are in the top 10 who almost nobody drafted both have a similar story behind them: They're part of the top scoring offense by six points and have gotten a lot of touchdowns. The reason nobody drafted them? Their offense wasn't supposed to do so well, and they are the second and third receiver of that offense. Saba Donut was 10th through 9 weeks, and while a week where he didn't get a touchdown and got sub 100 yards probably put him below other people, the fact that a wide receiver years into regression who isn't even making an effort to fight back against it is so high is very surprising. Taro Raimon, meanwhile, has almost acted as the number 1 receiver on the Arizona Outlaws Offense this season. He was only 3 points back of the number 1 receiver Passmann going into week 10, and with week 10 being a game where he caught two touchdowns he now has surpassed him and maybe a couple others. There are two top 5 wide receivers so far who aren't even number ones on their own team, which I'm guessing doesn't happen very often.

Now I'm going to talk about the QBs, who aren't quite as interesting. The two QBs who have 100% retention are in the top 4, and the only other ones above 50% are the other two in the top 4. Mike Boss Jr being 5th is kind of interesting, as a rookie QB who was not exactly the most effective player in the DSFL, and Easton Cole still being in the top 10 despite being the worst QB in the league by TPE is impressive, but besides that the most interesting quip I have is that Chika needs to change her name on discord, Jameis Winston was at least a good FANTASY QB.

Now for the Running Backs. Similarly to the wide receivers, there are two of them on Arizona who weren't exactly on people's radar but who have been top 10 Running Backs this year due to massive touchdown output. Gunner Thorbjornsson was just outside of the top 5 after week 9, and he's become a candidate for RBotY. He barely has over 50% ownership despite that. On the other hand, those who do own him are probably not too happy with me. And yes, of course I was going to talk about myself here. Darren Pama, proud owner of the most touchdowns in the league title for about a game and a half before Bex took it, with 10 touchdowns in total, tied for 2nd overall. I actually am only 1.9 points behind Thorbjornsson after the games yesterday, and yet I'm apparently owned in less than 10% of the leagues. I can't fault people for that, I'm the second running back on a running back by committee, and there's no real reason to expect me to continue being as much of a touchdown hog as I have been.

That being said, I did say apparently. The reason why it's Apparently is because I looked through all the leagues and I couldn't find anyone who had me. Maybe the bot is wrong? Or maybe the threads here aren't updated.

Of course, most of this isn't up to date, except for the stuff I looked for specifically. This is due to the bot being utterly broken. It hasn't been updated yet, and things like the overall rank or how many points your player has specifically are all broken. So, what does one do when the bot is broken or not updated yet? Get money out of it, obviously! So, below is a list of the major players in the league and how many fantasy points they have through 10 games. Only flex position available players though, because I don't feel like doing the QBs right now.

RBs:

Acura Skyline: 145.1
Zoe Watts: 174.4
Matthias Hanyadi: 110
Mike Rotchburns: 102.3
Kichwa Jones: 102.6
Jamar Lackson: 101.1
Joseph Petrongolo: 162.8
Gunner Thorbjornsson: 136.5
Baby Yoda: 122.1
Darrell Williams: 133.7
Ashley Owens: 147.3