International Simulation Football League
*Discussing the Wide Receiver Archetypes - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Discussing the Wide Receiver Archetypes (/showthread.php?tid=28494)

*Discussing the Wide Receiver Archetypes - charlit - 12-25-2020

With the sim migrating to Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2021, new player archetypes have been released. Everyone will have a free archetype switch with 100% TPE reallocation. This means people are free to choose any archetype they want and build their player from scratch. I am particularly interested in wide receivers builds, as my player is a WR. There are three different WR builds/archetypes. These are speed receiver, possession receiver, and slot receiver. Let’s start with discussing the speed receiver archetype. 

Speed Receiver Archetype

The speed receiver archetype could likely be the most popular build. With a max speed of 100, this build will make players a threat to go deep every play. However, this build also comes with its drawbacks. The speed receiver build has a max hand of only 85, the lowest of all wide receiver builds. To put this into context, there’s a defensive archetype that also has a max hand of 85. This is the cover corner archetype, which coincidentally also has a max speed of 100. One other downside of the speed receiver build is that it has the lowest max strength of all wide receiver builds at a max of 65 strength. They also have the lowest max agility of all wide receiver builds with a max of 85. Both strength and agility play a role in avoiding tackles. This probably helps balance the extra speed this build has compared to the other builds.

The speed receiver archetype also has three traits: deep threat, athlete, and role model. The deep threat trait is the only one unique to speed receiver, so I will focus on it. The deep threat trait is defined as making the receiver “slightly faster after catching the ball. More likely to be targeted when the QB has decided to throw deep”. Having a trait like this is cool as it makes players of this archetype have a more distinct play style. I think this archetype could pair really well with a quarterback with the gunslinger trait. The gunslinger trait makes QBs more likely to throw deep. Perhaps a team could have the ISFL equivalent to the Chiefs offense when pairing a couple of high TPE deep threat wide receivers with a max TPE gunslinger QB? Or maybe this offense would perform closer to the 2019 Buccaneers offense? At the very least, this combination would be a lot of fun to watch.

To end the discussion on the speed receiver build, I want to show you where I would put my TPE if I chose this archetype. I currently have 574 TPE, and this archetype requires 1255 TPE to max all stats + purchase all traits.

574 Speed Receiver Build
(MIN:30)(MAX:65) Strength: 50
(MIN:55)(MAX:85) Agility: 71
(MIN:1)(MAX:1) Arm: 1
(MIN:40)(MAX:80) Intelligence: 50
(MIN:1)(MAX:1) Throwing Accuracy: 1
(MIN:1)(MAX:1) Tackling: 1
(MIN:60)(MAX:100) Speed: 100
(MIN:55)(MAX:85) Hands: 80
(MIN:20)(MAX:35) Pass Blocking: 20
(MIN:20)(MAX:35) Run Blocking: 20
(MIN:50)(MAX:90) Endurance: 70
(MIN:1)(MAX:1) Kick Power: 1
(MIN:1)(MAX:1) Kick Accuracy: 1
(MIN:35)(MAX:80) Competitiveness: 52

In case anyone is wondering about the new competitiveness stat, it helps receivers avoid fumbles and helps them catch the ball.

Available Traits:
Deep Threat (req. 75 Speed, 70 Agility, 65 Hands) (Costs: 50 TPE)
Athlete (req. 90 Speed, 70 Agility, 85 Endurance) (Costs: 50 TPE)
Role Model (req. 70 Intelligence) (Costs: 50 TPE)

Purchased Traits:
None.

Possession Receiver Archetype

The possession receiver is the archetype that will best help offenses convert 1st downs and sustain long drives. The possession receiver has the slowest speed of all wide receiver archetypes, maxing out at a mere 90 speed. However, this archetype makes up for its slower speed by having the highest hands, intelligence, and strength of any wide receiver build. With a max intelligence of 85, this player will be one of the smartest on the field. This pairs well with this receiver being a sure handed, chain-moving type of player. Having a high intelligence will help those who chose this archetype avoid penalties. While this archetype may not make as many jaw dropping plays as the speed receiver, they will probably be more consistent.

The possession receiver archetype has three traits: slot receiver, athlete, and role model. The slot receiver trait is only available for the possession receiver and the slot receiver (shocking, I know) archetypes, so I will focus my discussion on it. The slot receiver trait is defined as making players “Slightly faster after catching the ball”. However, the announcement page for wide receiver archetypes added that this trait also “improves a player’s ability to find holes in the defense and get open”. I’ll assume that the slot receiver trait both helps players get open and makes them faster after catching the ball even though the trait list doesn’t say that this trait improves player’s ability to get open. With this in mind, I think this trait pairs perfectly with the possession receiver archetype. With this archetype having the best hands, the extra ability to get open compensates for their lack of speed. Also, having a high hands stat makes it more likely for a QB to target you. So, the possession receiver will have plenty of opportunities to make catches, even if their catches tend to be for fewer yards than other archetypes. I think the possession archetype would pair best with a QB with the pocket passer archetype. The pocket passer archetype has less arm strength than the gunslinger archetype, however, this archetype has 100 accuracy. Considering possession wide receivers don’t have the speed to run too many deep routes, I think the pocket passer would help an offense sustain drives through short and medium length passes.

If I chose the possession receiver archetype, here is where I would invest my 574 TPE. Also, the possession receiver archetype requires 1280 TPE to max all stats + purchase all traits.

574 TPE Possession Receiver Build

(MIN:45)(MAX:75) Strength: 50
(MIN:60)(MAX:90) Agility: 70
(MIN:45)(MAX:85) Intelligence: 64
(MIN:50)(MAX:90) Speed: 90
(MIN:65)(MAX:95) Hands: 95
(MIN:40)(MAX:80) Competitiveness: 70
1 TPE banked.

Available Traits:
Slot Receiver (req. 70 Speed, 80 Agility, 70 Hands) (Costs: 50 TPE)

Purchased Traits:
None.

Slot Receiver Archetype

The slot receiver archetype is all about getting open and getting lots of yards after the catch (YAC). The slot receiver archetype is in-between the speed receiver and possession receiver archetypes in terms of hands and speed. With a max speed of 95, those with the slot receiver archetype won’t be as much of a deep threat as the speed receiver. Instead, the slot receiver will make up for this through gaining YAC. This archetype has the highest agility of any wide receiver archetype with a max of 95 agility. Having a high agility helps receivers avoid getting tackled after catching the ball. The slot receiver archetype has better hands than the speed receiver archetype, maxing out at 90 hands. I think this archetype will be very fun to watch in the sim. These receivers are going to be electric after the catch and I can’t wait to see them in action!

The slot receiver archetype has three traits: slot receiver, athlete, and role model. Since we already touched on the slot receiver trait when discussing possession receivers, I won’t spend too much time talking about it. All I will say is that getting the slot receiver trait will make the slot receiver archetype even better after the catch. Now, since we haven’t discussed them yet, let’s talk about the athlete trait and role model trait. These two traits are available for all wide receivers. Also, the role model trait is not just limited to wide receivers, as any player is able to purchase the trait. The role model trait is defined simply as making a player “less likely to commit penalties”. While this trait may not sound too exciting, it could be incredibly useful. Imagine a team where every player has purchased the role model trait. How often would their players get penalties compared to teams with no role model players? While I have no idea what the answer to this question is, if the difference is significant, getting the role model trait might be huge for a team’s win %. The importance of this trait may not be reflected in any individual’s stats, but it could end up being the best wide receiver trait in terms of helping teams win. Now, onto the athlete trait. The athlete trait makes your player “move around the field a little faster and a little more agile than before”. The first difference I see between the athlete trait and the slot receiver trait is that with the athlete trait you move faster both when you do and don’t have the ball. So, the athlete trait likely both helps your player get open and helps them get YAC. I wonder if a player with 95 speed and the athlete trait is faster than a player with 100 speed without the athlete trait? It costs only 50 TPE for the athlete trait while it costs 125 TPE to upgrade a player from 95 speed to 100 speed. Without knowing how good the athlete trait is, it’s hard to know what’s more important.

I think the slot receiver archetype may pair up best with a QB with the field general archetype. The field general has the highest max intelligence, maxing out at an astounding 100 intelligence. The field general has an arm strength max of 95, which while lower than the gunslinger archetype, is 5 higher than the pocket passer archetype. With the slot receiver having higher speed than the possession receiver, perhaps they would be best suited for running longer routes than the possession receiver. If so, the field general archetype pairs perfectly with them as these QBs will have enough strength to throw downfield, but with their high intelligence, won’t force anything that may lead to an interception.

Finally, If I chose the slot receiver archetype, here is where I would invest my 574 TPE. I decided to get a a trait with this one, so the stats are a bit lower. The slot receiver archetype requires 1285 TPE to max all stats + purchase all traits.

574 TPE Slot Receiver Build
(MIN:40)(MAX:70) Strength: 40
(MIN:65)(MAX:95) Agility: 80
(MIN:40)(MAX:80) Intelligence: 49
(MIN:55)(MAX:95) Speed: 95
(MIN:60)(MAX:90) Hands: 89
(MIN:35)(MAX:80) Competitiveness: 35

Available Traits:
Slot Receiver (req. 70 Speed, 80 Agility, 70 Hands) (Costs: 50 TPE) -> Requirements met.

Purchased Traits:
Slot Receiver 

Parting Words

Thanks to everyone who worked on designing the archetypes for the new sim! I think you did a great job making the archetypes feel more distinct from each other, while also making them feel balanced compared to each other. It’s going to be tough to decide on an archetype for my player. There are arguments for all of them, and they all are probably going to see a lot of usage. If any current wide receivers read this, let me know which archetype you like the most!

RE: Discussing the Wide Receiver Archetypes - Pat - 12-25-2020

Great article! I think everyone will enjoy seeing that these archetypes really do perform differently!