International Simulation Football League
*The Gleel of Time - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The Gleel of Time (/showthread.php?tid=28630)

*The Gleel of Time - Crodyman - 01-02-2021

Three seasons ago a prospect entered the DSFL to little or no fanfare. Another linebacker in a deep S24 class, Wasrabi Gleel was taken in the 8th round of the draft by the Minnesota Grey Ducks--and while many GM’s and players alike may have uttered a collective “who???,” it was the ISFL commissioner Bex who said it best when she said,

“A beautiful name.”

This rookie would slide next to the reigning DPotY, Alejandro Chainbreaker, and look to forge a legacy of his own during his tenure in Minnesota. Expectations were low, and if you ask Gleel he’ll tell you the same thing he told me: “Better to be a steal than a bust any day.”

Flash forward to now, three season later, and this prospect-turned-veteran agreed to sit down with me and reflect on the twilight of his DSFL career. Wasrabi Gleel sits across from me in a Minnesota Grey Ducks hoodie with a matching beanie (it’s cold up here in Minny!) and grey sweatpants. He smiles knowing what my first question will be.

“So, Wasrabi, inquiring minds want to know: Are these last two games going to be your last in the Ducks blue and grey?” I ask somewhat coyly. The question provokes a big smile as he sheepishly looks to the floor.

“Man, Justin, you have no chill at all, man, doing me like that. Ha ha ha! But enough of dancing around the question: Based on what I’ve heard, I’m preparing for these final two games to be my last here in Minnesota. It’s been totally surreal but I’ve been training harder than ever for my debut in the ISFL, and I’m grateful to my Chicago GMs Bayley and Muford for giving me another season with this amazing group of teammates. Despite what you may have heard, Minnesota is a first-class organization in my book. From day one I was welcomed with open arms and open minds. I’ve learned so much more about the game from my teammates and from my GMs here. I can’t put into words how much I’m going to miss playing here, but all good stories must come to an end.”

“Staying down in the DSFL another season while the majority of your S24 peers have been called up must have been a challenge, but it sounds like you’ve enjoyed the time spent here this season.”

“Absolutely. It was bittersweet to be sure. I watched my man Damian Blackfyre get called up last season, as well as some players I’ve admired from other squads as well, and I’ve been watching them play their hearts out in the ISFL and have nothing but love for those guys. Richard Leaking, Big Slammu, Frick Nasty, Cleg Manclaw, my guy Brick, Suleiman Ramza, Owen Halloway, the list goes on. I’ve met and had the pleasure of playing with and against many of these folks and I’m really looking forward to getting back on the field with them again.”

“How happy are you with your performance these last three seasons in Minnesota?”

“I always said that whoever takes a shot on drafting ol’ Gleel is going to get themselves a real player from day one. I’ve always done my best to keep training, keep improving, keep my eyes on the other team in the film room, and do whatever I can to help the team succeed. I came out of the gate with a really strong rookie season in my mind. It just so happened that some other linebackers from my class are extremely talented as well, so I feel like I was a bit overlooked that season. I fell into a sophomore slump the next season, and as for this year, I think I’m one of the best linebackers in the DSFL right now. I might not possess the elite speed that some of the others have, but I’m strong and smart and can bring down the ballcarrier, so I think there is a reason why I’m currently sitting at #3 in tackles this year.”

“You failed to win any awards or accolades in your first or second seasons, but what about this year? Do you think you’ve done enough to put yourself in the conversation?”

“Yeah, I mean, I think I should be in consideration at least for something. Winning any award would be extremely special, but at the end of the day the only trophy I was ever concerned about was the Ultimini.”

“The Grey Ducks have fallen into a slump of late on a five game losing streak: Is there time enough to turn the season around into a playoff run?”

“Well, we don’t control our own destiny anymore. If I’m being honest, I don’t feel incredibly optimistic, but there is some hope if we win-out and London loses-out then we’ll have a chance. Sadly, I don’t like our odds. I really hoped that I could help bring home the trophy to the people of Minnesota, but even though I’ll be leaving, I’ve come to an agreement with my sponsors Totino’s Pizza Rolls and my new company back in Vermont, “Marvelous Maple Milk”, to provide a free school lunches to over 3000 under-served kids in the community as a part of the “Gleel’s Grub” program. I’m just glad I have the opportunity to give back to the fans after these three years.”

“I’ve heard it said that every ending is the start of a new beginning. What things are you looking most forward to next season?”

“Wow, great question. I feel like I’m the luckiest person in the world. I get to play the game I love for a living, and though I’m leaving one beloved community I have now the opportunity to become involved in another. I’m really looking forward to Chicago. It’s a wonderful arts city with lots of theater and galleries, and it is certainly one of the most prolific culinary cities in the country right now, and I’m not talkin’ just hot dogs and pizza--though I will be consuming vast quantities of both of those things for sure. And finally, I’m not sure if you’ve heard, but I’ll be dad! I couldn’t be more excited.”

“Yes, I did hear that, and your wife, of course, former DSFL reporter Pam Pringle must be excited as well! Any thoughts on names yet?”

Once again he smiled sheepishly and averted his eyes to the ground.

“We haven’t really decided on anything yet, but when we do I doubt we’ll announce it until the birth--She knows how the media can be. Ha ha!”

“You being gone next season isn’t going to be the only blow to the Grey Ducks roster next season. Your partner in crime, Alejandro Chainbreaker, is also at the end of his time with the team. How well do you think the Grey Ducks will do next season without the linebacker tandem it’s had for the last three seasons?”

“Great question. I think Minnesota does a pretty good job in the draft. I mean, they took me, and I think I was a pretty good pick. It’s certainly going to be tough due to call-ups and players becoming ineligible. There is going to be a lot of work that needs to be done before draft day, and though I won't be on the team roster any longer, I do hope to help scout for the next heir-apparents for my position and more.”

“We’re running out of time here, but I think we have time for one more question: What can fans expect from your ISFL debut next season?”

He paused for a moment, considering the question, before responding.

“More of the same, from me. Consistency is key. Greatness is a lot of little things done well, stacked up onto each other. You don’t miss practice. You don’t take breaks on your teammates. You show up and do your job, and hopefully the proof is in the pudding. I feel like I’ve already exceeded so many expectations of myself from the time I played as a TIburon Landshark in the Prospect Bowl those many seasons ago. I have no plans on slowing down, no plans to go anywhere, and just to reiterate what I’ve said before, I’m down for life with my team. My plan, if everything works out, is to play in Chicago until I retire and move back to Vermont to drink Maple Syrup and eat ice cream everyday. It’s a simple dream, really, but attainable. Regardless of the success I may or may not have in my ISFL career, the one thing I hope will be said about me when I’m gone is, “Wasrabi Gleel always gave 100% to his team.” So to the people of Chicago, I’ll be ready to make y’all proud come gameday next season.”

“Thank you for joining us today for this interview, and best of luck as you finish your DSFL career. Good luck, Gleel.”

“Thank you, Justin, and thank you to the fans, the league, and the players and people I’ve met along the way. I wish y’all nothing but love.”

(Thank YOU for reading this, friend. You’re breathtaking! -Crodyman)

(1518 words)