International Simulation Football League
*Titansfan’s Guide to Being New While Also Being New - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Titansfan’s Guide to Being New While Also Being New (/showthread.php?tid=29289)

*Titansfan’s Guide to Being New While Also Being New - xtitanxmvpx - 01-18-2021

In this article I’m going to go over various things I’ve learned in my short time here that have made things easier for me, have been suggested by savvy veterans, and things I’m still struggling with and trying to make you (yes you reading this) not feel alone in your struggles of feeling like a dumb newb.

So to start:

#1: ALL THESE DAMNED LINKS!
Seriously though, I started this thing and popped into the forums and instantly my jaw hit the floor. There’s so much content to this league and it can just be overwhelming. That’s until you learn that the majority of it doesn’t matter to you right away and you should focus on very specific areas first and foremost. The Media section, Player Shortcut section, and your own posts section are life savers. I might be missing some here but I think those three are hella important.

Media - This is the place where you’ll be doing most tasks and fulfilling your rookie requirements to get TPE and moola! The post thread button at the top of ISFL media page is where you will go to submit your posts much like this one is originally submitted. From here items will be graded or used to link and fulfill task requirements.

Own Posts section: When you go to your own profile page on the forums you will get an option to look at your own posts and your own threads. In this section you can easily look back at what you have posted or commented on and check the progress of approval. It is also a very easy way to link post addresses to your Player Update page when you need to do that. This is something that has really helped me atleast and if it doesn’t make sense to you or help you at all...well….go read another damn person’s guide.

Player Shortcut Section: This section shows you everything you need access to as a Rook (and as you continue into your career here). The list here is quite literally the bees knees of the forums. I didn’t realize it was located off to the right side of the forums until only very recently and ever since I still struggle to find information and ask poor veterans on the Discord to help me. But seriously, this part of the forums has helped me immensely.

#2: Discord
There isn’t a place I suggest taking advantage more than the league Discord channels. Holy shit man… Honestly, so many GM’s, scouts, and veteran players have been a help to me in these chats. As a prospect, if a GM or scout says “Hey you. You wanna come join our locker room? We’ve got candy.” You instantly say yes and run into that joint and ask everyone questions and annoy the hell out them all, especially Portland’s GM South. Ask every question that comes to mind. On a serious note, well, that last part was serious, but I mean this part, listen to how people go about their weeks in this league. It might seem like you need to put a ton of work into it, but realistically these vets have their routines and it really pays to copy which ever one works for you. I have yet to decide on my own routine because I’m an indecisive, OCD, psychopath but that’s not the important part. Find your favorite mentor. Copy them. Follow them like a little doggie and soak in all of their knowledge.

The second part of Discord that’s incredibly helpful is the fact that each locker room and channel has built in bots to show you how much money you have banked (I just found this out literally today) and they have other functions to show you individual transactions you’ve made as you go through the process of getting drafted and starting your season off. The integration here is phenomenal and really saves you time. TPE opportunities are also integrated into the Discord channels of various teams and this is great when you’re trying to prove you’re hot shit and should be drafted first overall in the DSFL draft. You simply turn on notifications through whichever channel they’ve created for it and you will see them live as they are created. This is brilliant.

Discord is also where any announcements will get posted that are important to each and every member of the league. This is another place you should watch regularly as it often contains the links to the season’s games, prospect bowl games, and stats posted after the games are completed. There’s a lot of work that goes into the production of each and every week of the ISFL and this is often the first place you’ll see it.

Last, but not least, Discord is a great place to connect with people trying to gain money for creating graphics and other types of media similar to this one. You can ask them questions for interviews, set up Podcast times, and request signature graphics for your player as you enter the league. Make friends.

#3: Stats Pages and Indexes
When you’re looking into writing up media to earn money and gain TPE through Point Tasks, these spots can be life savers. The historical data saved up from the seasons of the ISFL and DSFL are rather deep and will answer quite a bit of trivia that might come up as future point opportunities. I recently wrote up a three round mock draft and for S28 prospects and these areas greatly helped me in gathering information to create that media.

The Prospects Page is located on the forums, but you will also be able to obtain links to it via Discord if you ask really, really nice. This is a section that will show you and all of your fellow prospects. Updated as soon as new players create, this page will give you the most up to date idea of what positions are becoming saturated and also the place to quickly discover information on your rivals.

The Sim Tracker Index will show you attributes on all players in the league. Luckily, you can search and see only prospects, specific teams, positions, or whatever you’re looking for. As you start your career and continue into seasons this is a place where you can easily keep track of your rivals and team mates.

This has been just a quick three part run down of things that have helped me through the first few weeks of this league leading up to my first draft. The Prospect Bowl has been a blast every night as I’ve watched my 50 TPE Linebacker do well one night then subsequently fail the next night. Night three will be coming up here shortly and I look forward to it being the last step before I see where I’ve been drafted. I wish you the best of luck if you read this and just remember: There’s always some poor sap of a veteran player out there that you can milk for knowledge in order to help you catapult your career over theirs.

-XTitanxMVPX/Titansfan

RE: Titansfan’s Guide to Being New While Also Being New - WildfireMicro - 01-18-2021

Great read through! Very helpful to the new guys

RE: Titansfan’s Guide to Being New While Also Being New - Duilio05 - 01-18-2021

You've been doing great! It's been a blast being on the same team as you. Hope that happens again in the future. You GMs that didn't draft this guy will be dissapointed.