International Simulation Football League
*Firstfray's DSFL Mock Draft Review - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Firstfray's DSFL Mock Draft Review (/showthread.php?tid=29450)

*Firstfray's DSFL Mock Draft Review - firstfray - 01-21-2021

ready for grading, 2x - new user

Today I’ll be reviewing my DSFL mock draft that I posted earlier this week. The best way I can put my mock draft is this: I was way off. Instead of doing a conventional mock draft, I did a mock draft where I would pick 2 players that I felt like would be a good fit for the team regardless of the round they would be picked in. Turns out that didn’t work out well and I only picked one player to the right team.

KCC Kansas City CoyotesKCC
Draft Picks
WR Luke Quick
LB Dexter Hall
DT Prof. Godfrey Gravity
QB Troy Abed
CB Siege Cameron
RB Busch Goose
CB Logan Steele
OL Bjorn Borg
TE Ivo Marriott

My Picks: CB Juno Hu and DT Daniel O’Leary

Looking at the positions of my picks and who the Coyotes drafted, I feel like I did a pretty solid job despite my misses. Kansas City was probably surprised that Gravity fell to them in the 3rd round so that definitely changed how the Coyotes addressed their need at DT but for sure a huge steal to get such a great player in the 3rd round.

Defense as a whole was a big need for Kansas City so as much as they would have loved to bring Juno Hu, one of the top CB prospects in this years DSFL draft, LB was also a big need. After seeing Xavier Walls taken just two picks before, the Coyotes needed to at least fill their hole at linebacker before they were all gone. This proved to be a good decision by Kansas City as 3 linebackers were taken in the 3rd round, depleting the LB pool. Juno Hu was taken with the second pick in the 2nd round so the Coyotes were forced to pick up some cornerbacks later in the draft.

TIJ Tijuana Luchadores TIJ
Draft Picks
QB Ishe… ReallyInvisible
CB Juno Hu
S Romulus Roman
S Lux Opal
OL Cade Williams
DE Gyles Marrett
RB Lonnie Jackson
TE Rob Banks

My picks: DT Beefcake Johnson and LB Gritt Gurdur

So, I guess I didn’t understand the needs of the Luchadores because I completely whiffed here. The Luchadores did not take a single DT or LB in this draft. The Luchadores were probably eyeing Gravity in the 3rd round but he was snatched up by the Coyotes. With no other top DT prospects for a while (the next DT was selected in the 5th round), Tijuana did not want to reach for a prospect and miss out on an active and reliable user. With no 5th round pick and back-to-back DT picks, this may have just been unfortunate circumstances for the Luchadores, or maybe I just suck at researching team needs.

Maybe I completely missed something, but I felt confident that the Luchadores would pick up a LB in the draft. Instead, they doubled up on safeties and picked every position on defense besides LB and DT. Bad mock by me here.

MIN Minnesota Grey Ducks MIN
Draft Picks
OL Anton Bruckner
DE Andrew Warthol
LB Brooks Bane
S Tim Souljia
DT Daniel O’Leary
TE Bender Rodgriguez
QB Jacob Raske
RB Tom Adamo
RB Lawrence Mccoy

My picks: LB Xavier Walls and S Kelvin Harris/S Chathack’rius Smith IV

This time I was a bit closer with the mock but still not great. The Grey Ducks also felt like LB and S was a need, but it wasn’t a position that needed to be addressed immediately. Some of that is probably attributed to the depth at the linebacker position and a relatively small pool of prospects for both defensive end and offensive line. I was personally a bit surprise that Anton Bruckner was picked so early (mostly because I didn’t think teams would be picking the new guys so early) but he is deserving of being the first new rookie taken. People may question taking an offensive lineman this early as a skill position player or defensive player might make more of an impact immediately but, take a look at Quenton Nelson for the Indianapolis Colts. I believe Bruckner can have a Nelson-like impact and bolster the offensive line for whichever team he is on for many years to come.

DAL Dallas Birddogs DAL
Draft Picks
WR Chunt the Badger
WR Bayley Cowabunga
QB Eric Gaare
S Cole Maxwell
DT Beefcake Johnson
QB Mark Higgins
LB Luke Watterson
KP Dallas Dole
CB Anubis J. Williams II

My picks: WR Saleem Spence and LB Dexter Hall

Another team, another close miss. I had pegged the Dallas Birddogs to shore up their wide receiver room and projected them to pick up Saleem Spence. What I didn’t expect was for them to use their first two picks on wide receiver taking two top talents at receiver. Again, I was surprised with the early new rookie pick but I am confident that Chunt The Badger will make an immediate impact for the Birddogs.

For the other pick, I had projected myself to be selected by Dallas. It seems like the Birddogs took a gamble by addressing their gaping hole at wide receiver first and hope that a linebacker would be available after that. For their second round pick, two of the top LB prospects were already off the board, and then for their third round pick, another top LB prospect had been taken the pick before. Despite this, the Birddogs still got a great prospect in Luke Watterson.

NOR Norfolk Seawolves NOR
Draft Picks
QB Raeni Clarke
S Kelvin Harris
RB Archie Griffin
CB Amy Wong
WR Sam The Onion Man
OL Rudy Gray
TE Holton Hillburn
OL Mr. Poop
CB Kris Krieg

My picks: OL Anton Bruckner and OL Stumpy Jones

Well, I picked two offensive linemen and they also picked two offensive linemen. I call that a win! I personally felt like the Seawolves needed to address their OL in this draft but I guess Norfolk did not have as high of a priority for this position as I did. Obviously Norfolk didn’t even have a shot at drafting Anton Bruckner as he was picked 3rd overall, but Stumpy Jones was within reach as long as it was in the 4th round or earlier.

LON London Royals LON
Draft Picks
DE Glenn Smart
DE Manhattan Project
CB C.J. Sonjack
QB Red Arrow Jr.
OL Makoa Mahi’ai
S Spencer Fields
CB Willie Miller
RB Gerard Grenouille
KP Alastor Hazabin

My picks: CB C.J. Sonjack and RB Brandon Prince.

Wait… did I actually get a pick right?!?! With their 3rd round selection, the London Royals drafted C.J. Sonjack. I knew the Royals needed some cornerbacks and that’s exactly what they addressed in this draft. Alongside C.J., they drafted Willie Miller, arguably the best CB in this years prospect bowl statistically. I haven’t seen him be too active (maybe I’ve just missed him because he did just post a media article) but he should be an upgrade for their defense eventually. I guess the Royals didn’t see running back as a huge need so instead of grabbing an active Brandon Price, they elected to go with Gerard Grenouille with their second to last pick.

POR Portland Pythons POR
Draft Picks
LB Xavier Walls
S Remus Roman
LB Gritt Gurdur
OL Stumpy Jones
WR Saleem Spence
TE Phillip Weaver
OL Tay Heenie
RB Aleksandr Vasiliev
WR Kenzie Cupz

My picks: DE Andrew Warthol and WR Chunt The Badger

A miss here again but it wasn’t too fair because the Pythons only had one chance to draft Warthol and The Badger was off the board before their first pick. I had a feeling that the Pythons were high on Xavier Walls because he was quite a big presence in their locker room, so they must’ve been overjoyed that they were able to grab him with their first pick. But as a result, they missed out on Andrew Warthol. They still managed to pick up Saleem Spence in the 5th round so, not bad for missing out on Chunt The Badger.

BBB Bondi Beach Buccaneers BBB
Draft Picks
QB Dexter Zaylren
DE Mongo
LB Don Bradman
S Chathack’rius Smith IV
RB Brandon Prince
CB Henny Tingzpahcbol
WR Latavuis Jackson
DT Jake Hayes

My picks: DE Mongo and OL Rudy Gray

With the final team in the DSFL…. I got another pick right! Woohoo! That’s 2 for 16! After the obvious selection of Dexter Zaylren, the buccaneers immediately go for a defensive end and grab Mongo. After the second round, Bondi Beach had a mix of offensive and defensive selections. When writing my mock draft, I was unsure on what else they needed so I had them picking an active user in Rudy Gray. The Buccaneers never addressed the OL position so must’ve not been a big need right now.

And that’s it! I did a poor job in picking the actual players to the teams, but I was taken aback by how early new creates were taken and that definitely messed with my mock draft a bit. But, at the end of the day, I had a lot of creating this mock draft and hope to do another one when the ISFL draft comes up!

RE: Firstfray's DSFL Mock Draft Review - 124715 - 01-21-2021

Your original mock was very interesting so it's nice to see you revisit that. 2/16 is bad but you made it hard on yourself by not putting any consensus top prospects in your article so call it a win Tongue

RE: Firstfray's DSFL Mock Draft Review - Kotasa - 01-21-2021

(01-21-2021, 09:11 PM)firstfray Wrote: My picks: DT Beefcake Johnson and LB Gritt Gurdur

So, I guess I didn’t understand the needs of the Luchadores because I completely whiffed here. The Luchadores did not take a single DT or LB in this draft. The Luchadores were probably eyeing Gravity in the 3rd round but he was snatched up by the Coyotes. With no other top DT prospects for a while (the next DT was selected in the 5th round), Tijuana did not want to reach for a prospect and miss out on an active and reliable user. With no 5th round pick and back-to-back DT picks, this may have just been unfortunate circumstances for the Luchadores, or maybe I just suck at researching team needs.

Maybe I completely missed something, but I felt confident that the Luchadores would pick up a LB in the draft. Instead, they doubled up on safeties and picked every position on defense besides LB and DT. Bad mock by me here.
Don't beat yourself up! Safeties can play LB in the new sim so they may do something with that!