International Simulation Football League
*Stuttering Start for Savea - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Stuttering Start for Savea (/showthread.php?tid=2948)

Pages: 1 2

*Stuttering Start for Savea - Ben - 08-05-2017

Rookie running back Ardie Savea began his NSFL career with high expectations after being traded from the Orange County Otters to the Las Vegas Legion to be their starting running back. This was after being drafted 14th overall and receiving a lot of praise as a prospect coming into the league. During the first four games of the season Savea has rushed 88 times gaining only 291 yards and 1 touchdown. That’s a measly 3.3 yards per carry which doesn’t quite cut it as a feature back in the NSFL. As an all around back he has also added 4 receptions for 63 yards which shows much better efficiency and gives him a chance to show his skills as an ex rugby player. Although someone starting in the running back position for any team needs to be doing more than just catching passes out of the backfield.
Questions on why this slow start has happened continue to appear and of course everyone has a different opinion on what the answer might be. The strength of the Las Vegas offensive line is generally agreed to be below league average, many believe that behind a different or better offensive line Ardie Savea would show the attributes that had him drafted so highly. Others have pointed to the defenses the Las Vegas Legion have played against as some of the best in the league which may have had some impact on the performance of Savea.
An opinion that has become more and more voiced as the season continues is that the answer is simple; Ardie Savea is a draft bust and this was an inevitable outcome no matter which team he ended up on. Although it is hard to conclude whether a draft pick is a bust or not off of such a small sample size, the production is going to have to improve if Savea wants to quiet those who doubt him.
We spoke with Savea’s agent about the situation and his thoughts on the lack of numbers to show for his player’s draft stock.

“The answer is quite obvious, Ardie is completely new to the game. He hasn’t played football before this season in any form. Although he got a chance to familiarize himself somewhat in the prospect games he simply hasn’t played football at any level. Taking a guy like that and putting him up against NSFL quality talent is a tough ask. I believe Ardie is up to it and he will continue to put in all of the work behind the scenes to improve week to week. He is an absolute professional and a fierce competitor, obviously he would never make any excuses himself as to why he hasn’t been performing at the level he is capable of. I’m in talks with management of the Las Vegas Legion to try and build a better team around Ardie starting with the offensive line. In order for him to excel in this league and also in the interest of his health as an athlete he needs to be given more space to run and not have to break tackles in his own backfield”

A big reason teams were willing to take the risk on drafting Savea so highly is because there was the assurance that his skill set from rugby would translate so well to football and the only coaching needed would be in the form of teaching the playbook and blocking techniques.
Is the answer so simple as an athlete used to only wearing a mouth guard needs some time to adjust to having full pads and a helmet? Other rugby converts in the league Luke Tiernan and Kieran O’Connell, both of the Colorado Yeti, have moved position to start the new season. Tiernan has swapped to the defensive side of the ball and is now playing Linebacker, while O’Connell has shifted to FB where he will be asked to do more of a blocking job rather than carrying the ball.
With this precedent set can we conclude the change to wearing pads impairs a rugby players ability to carry the ball so much that they are better suited to a position either utilizing their strength or tackling skills? There were rumors before the draft that Ardie Savea might be willing to change position once drafted to utilize his skills in a different way on the football field. While playing running back is obviously his preferred position, is that really the best option to help his team win games? And what does this mean for other rugby converts joining the league in positions that ask them to carry the ball?
The performance Savea shows for the rest of the season may have a bigger impact on the league than just confirming his position in the draft, it may affect how NSFL fans view rugby players wanting to join the league in future.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][Image: 1461613449916.jpg]
[/div]
Code:
813 words
@Ltsmashie @Lainncli (also @WinstonKodogo and @`Dermot` you're not in the article but might be interested in the rugby aspect)

GRADED

*Stuttering Start for Savea - kckolbe - 08-05-2017

That's a nice touch that the two other rugby players switched positions as well. Also, I don't know if this has always been the case, but I feel like you start each game running really poorly, but get better throughout the game.

(08-06-2017, 01:37 AM)kckolbe Wrote:That's a nice touch that the two other rugby players switched positions as well.  Also, I don't know if this has always been the case, but I feel like you start each game running really poorly, but get better throughout the game.

Thank you! Yeah I've noticed that as well, not entirely sure what would cause that to happen

(08-05-2017, 07:15 AM)ardiesavea Wrote:Thank you! Yeah I've noticed that as well, not entirely sure what would cause that to happen

You have the second-highest endurance of all RBs (Jenkins is the highest, but he also blocks for Bowers a lot), so maybe once defenders start getting tired, you are still somewhat fresh?

(08-06-2017, 02:21 AM)kckolbe Wrote:You have the second-highest endurance of all RBs (Jenkins is the highest, but he also blocks for Bowers a lot), so maybe once defenders start getting tired, you are still somewhat fresh?

@Anti-Hype and I were actually looking into endurance a couple days ago so I had seen that, I was more meaning I'm not sure what causes me to start out so slow

*Stuttering Start for Savea - WinstonKodogo - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 01:37 PM)kckolbe Wrote:That's a nice touch that the two other rugby players switched positions as well.  Also, I don't know if this has always been the case, but I feel like you start each game running really poorly, but get better throughout the game.

The fourth has stayed put.

Though there's not much places where a kicker/ punter can move to.

(08-06-2017, 02:56 AM)WinstonKodogo Wrote:The fourth has stayed put.

Though there's not much places where a kicker/ punter can move to.

Haha yeah I wasn't sure if Harris was an ex-rugby guy or not I just knew that you were into rugby!

edit: I should've just looked at your post history :facepalm:

(08-05-2017, 07:26 AM)ardiesavea Wrote:@Anti-Hype and I were actually looking into endurance a couple days ago so I had seen that, I was more meaning I'm not sure what causes me to start out so slow

Well, I would say it's a combination of line and build. Your O-line is the worst in the league by TPE, and you lack the speed, strength, or agility to break tackles. LBs aren't very agile, so it wouldn't take a ton to be too nimble for them to take down. However, because you have the endurance, you are at least maintaining energy and running well late in the game.

(08-06-2017, 03:15 AM)kckolbe Wrote:Well, I would say it's a combination of line and build.  Your O-line is the worst in the league by TPE, and you lack the speed, strength, or agility to break tackles.  LBs aren't very agile, so it wouldn't take a ton to be too nimble for them to take down.  However, because you have the endurance, you are at least maintaining energy and running well late in the game.

I'm faster than Durden, Bowers Jr, Jenkins and after the next update Nuck.
I'm stronger than every back bar Leroy Jenkins, although I'm more agile than him.
Perhaps agility is where I need to look going forward. Thats the only attribute noticeably different from the other starting backs.

Don't compare yourself to the other RBs. Compare yourself to the LBs tackling you.