International Simulation Football League
*Wolfie McDummy breaks down Prospect Bowl game film - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Wolfie McDummy breaks down Prospect Bowl game film (/showthread.php?tid=29614)

*Wolfie McDummy breaks down Prospect Bowl game film - CLG Rampage - 01-23-2021

Bungus: Welcome back, everyone, to ISFL Tonight! I'm your host, Chigg Bungus, and we have a very special episode for you tonight. The DSFL draft is over, the dust has finally settled, and I think it's time we really analyze some of these prospects to see what they can bring to their respective teams. Tonight, we're analyzing some of the quarterbacks who we expect to be taking some minutes at the QB position. To help me out with that, we brought a special player into the studio today. He's a former Ultimus champion and MVP, Wolfie McDummy, welcome to the studio, sir.

McDummy: Yeah, man, happy to be here. Been looking at these guys a ton over the past week, and I think they all have something unique to bring to the table. So, I wanna start with the quarterback first off the board, IsHe ReallyInvisible. So, obviously, we're not gonna see the greatest quarterback play ever, right? These guys have just come in, they get maybe a couple hours to build some chemistry with their receivers, maybe they haven't been going through super intense workouts yet, so this is gonna be a more general overview.

Bungus: Of course. So, let's pull up some film.

McDummy: First thing to look at, Maccu Picchu versus Auckland, week 1. 7:54 left in the first, the Sols just had a negative run combined with an offsides penalty, so they really need a good play here to get this drive going and match Auckland. We got pretty standard Cover 2 here from Auckland and 2 backs in the backfield. Ball's snapped, and he sees 12 coming in to cover up number 40 as he runs a little swing pass, so he has to get the ball out real quick, or that entire throwing lane to Quick is blocked. He sees number 24 playing ten yards back, so he fires it over to Quick and lets him make a play out in space.

Bungus: So, he quickly read the linebacker and knew he had to make a fast throw right after the snap.

McDummy: Exactly, exactly. That ball's a quarter of a second later? It's a deflection, or even worse, an interception. So props here to Invisible, for sure. Here's another one. 0:51 left in the first, same game, basically no time left, but they got the ball right at the midfield point, so there's a good chance at points here without having to waste a time out. We got some more Cover 2 here, man coverage, with the corners a couple yards off the receivers to keep everything in front of them. The Sol's are in a shotgun look with Quick and Swifty lined up outside. So, he knows once again he has one-on-one coverage. But, he sees number 33 here playing a little further back than number 56, so he knows Swifty is the safer throw. No linebacker to choke up the throwing lane. Again, quick snap, fires it past the coverage, 33 has to carry Marriott up the seam and can't make a play, so it's another big completion for Invisible.

Bungus: So, what do you think he brings to a Luchadores team that struggled immensely last year at quarterback?

McDummy: I think he brings a great arm and a willingness to make those quick throws that Tee and Ali-West really struggled with last season. He has the zip to make plays past faster linebackers and can get the ball into tight windows. I'm a bit worried about his ball placement outside of short throws, but like I said, very little practice. So we won't know exactly how they're gonna play.

Bungus: Alright, then. Onto the second quarterback drafted, Raeni Clarke, taken 5th overall by the Seawolves. What do you think about her?

McDummy: I think she brings a ton of general athleticism to this team, and a great locker room presence. She didn't have the best arm in terms of zip, but she's fast, and can extend a play extremely well. I think week 7 versus the Radioactives, she showed off all her best attributes and gave a great performance overall, so let's pull that one up. First thing to look at, 6:23 left in the first, the Kiwis get the ball at the 28 after a Radioactives field goal. They had a really nice run by Goose, but a false start backs them up to second and 7 at their 31. Once again, Cover 2, she thinks a blitz is coming, so she changes up the play, but the Radioactives do a good job here of disguising their coverage. The linebackers hovering over the line drop back and make throwing to her running backs or the tight end impossible. 20 was ready to jump the throw, as you can see here, so her only options were to run for a couple or make a really tough throw to Jackson. She took the throw, and while it might be considered a dangerous one, it was a great pass to Jackson, right over the back shoulder, number 47 could only just watch and make a tackle here.

Bungus: The ball definitely lingered a bit, though. That's gonna be a very dangerous throw at the next level, corners are generally much faster and more athletic compared to the Prospect Bowl.

McDummy: Oh, yeah. No one's gonna deny that. But, her mechanics are solid and she has the work ethic to improve her arm up to the standards of the DSFL and ISFL, in my opinion.

Bungus: You talked about her athleticism, though. What did you see from her on this front?

McDummy: I'm glad you asked, Chigg. Cause I think the final scoring drive of the game shows that off perfectly. This drive in general was really good to see from Clarke, she was confident and just took what the defense gave her. 3rd and 10, about 4:30 left in the game, the Kiwis really haven't been able to get going on the ground this drive. Under center, she takes a 5 step drop and throws a bit of a dangerous pass, but Weaver is able to catch it and draw a pass interference penalty so they get another set of chances. Shotgun formation, Clarke takes another deep drop, and hits Patootie on a really nice out route to get them inside Chernobyl's 25 yard line. Then, she gets to showcase her speed a little. Again, she's under center, and they run a little bootleg to the left. She sees she has a wide open lane with a blocker in front, so she takes it. She makes a couple men miss, then boom, paydirt!

Bungus: Norfolk was another team that had some struggles at quarterback. Emi Rune was the only full time starter in the league to attempt under 300 passes and had a completion percentage only barely over 50%. How do you think she does in Norfolk compared to Rune last season?

McDummy: Judging by the tape coming from training camp, Clarke is already a better pure passer than Rune was, while also having the legs to get it done on the ground. Rune wasn't a bad runner, but Clarke posted a better 40 as well as a better 3-cone drill at the combine. So overall, she should be a marked improvement over Rune, and hopefully that gives Norfolk what they need to go deeper in the playoffs.

Bungus: Wonderful. Next up, new Bondi Beach quarterback, and last of the first round selections, Dexter Zaylren. What did you think of him?

McDummy: Actually, I wanted to talk about Raske and Zaylren at the same time, since, in my opinion, they're both firmly in the 'needs work' category at quarterback. These two actually played against eachother several times, and none of their games really gave me a ton of confidence in their future at the moment. The proof is just in the numbers there, unfortunately.

Bungus: Then we can start with Zaylren. What do you think is holding him back right now? And can it be fixed.

McDummy: Both of them can be fixed, as long as the coaching staff gets to them early. So, this is something I noticed with Zaylren in college, and it's persisted with him every season. So, this is a pretty standard drop back. Shotgun, pretty good movement during his drop back, but now watch here as he's ready to throw. He's way over-rotating, like right now the right side of his body should be in-line with where the ball needs to go. But he's turned about ten degrees to the left, then he cranks his whole body as he's coming back. I can guarantee you that's messing with his accuracy. Where he would pick up something like that? I dunno, maybe it's something he had while in high school and he was never able to un-learn it. But Bondi Beach needs to end that habit quickly if they expect him to ever be an accurate passer.

Bungus: Then what about Raske? You said you loved him coming out of LSU.

McDummy: I did about a year ago, but something changed between his junior and senior seasons. Look at this throw here. His base mechanics are pretty solid here. Good hand position, nice weight shifting, footwork is correct, but look at his release point. See how late he's letting go of the ball in his throwing motion? Something I picked up on watching him throughout his senior year, he's really late on actually releasing the ball. A lot of his incompletions ended up near the legs of his intended receiver, and I think this is why. He really needs to let go of the ball at the right point in his release.

Bungus: So do you think these two will have trouble actually staying on a DSFL roster? Looking at it from this perspective, they have a lot in their game that needs to be worked on.

McDummy: Honestly, it's probably tougher for Raske than Zaylren. Raske is likely sitting as a backup for now, behind Ryan Negs. He might see some snaps, but not really enough to warrant a full-on roster spot. Zaylren is going to a championship winning team that knows they're in a rebuilding phase. A lot of their roster was on the older side, and they don't really have a replacement for him or someone they can start over him. So they're gonna be more patient, I think. Raske definitely will have to impress in training camp in order to be worth both the pick and a spot on the Grey Ducks roster.

Bungus: Overall, what are your thoughts on the Season 27 DSFL draft class for quarterbacks?

McDummy: There's definitely a lot of promise here. All of them showed flashes that they could perform at the next level, they've all got something that they can bring to the table. It all depends on which coaching staff can sustain those flashes, and which ones will let them disappate. If I had to guess? I think Clarke will probably end up the best out of the four, Invisible second best, Raske third. Zaylren is a total wild card, if he can fix his issues, he's shown he can play with the best of them in the college football ranks. If he doesn't, I don't think he's going to last that long in the league.

Bungus: Well, that's all we have time for tonight. Thank you very much for your time, mister McDummy. We really appreciate it.

McDummy: Thank you so much for having me. It's been a little while since I've had to actually look at film in a lot of detail, so this was a nice change of pace.

Bungus: Tune in next week where we discuss several big time call-ups, what they mean for the ISFL teams in question and how DSFL teams looked to fill those holes in this year's draft. I'm Chigg Bungus, part of ISFL Tonight, signing off.

(Don't take this too seriously btw, this was just for fun and profit. If you want me to talk about any other position in a similar way, lemme know, this was a lot of fun to write.)