International Simulation Football League
*Musical theme tunes - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Musical theme tunes (/showthread.php?tid=29622)

*Musical theme tunes - Arvot - 01-24-2021

I’ve no idea if this would be practical for the streaming team to implement but I have had an ambitious idea that would be a lot of fun and would enhance the viewing experience.
Custom music.
The ISFL and THE DSFL are prestigious organisations doing God’s work by giving people a chance to cheer on little dots and engage in a community for fake money. They deserve their own theme tunes. I feel like there should be an official song for both leagues at the start of the broadcast. Most sports shows have a fanfare type song using trumpets/brass bands. I think an upbeat exciting piece that was orchestral with brass flourishes would suit the start. Get everyone hyped for the games to come.
The second part of this unactionable fantasy would be to give every team their own theme tune which would get played for all their home games. The Ultimini and Ultimus would have their own theme tunes. I think this would create a better atmosphere for those watching and could be a fun way to get more engagement within the league. These would need to be written so they could be played on a loop, in case any game went on longer than the song lasted. I also think they should be instrumental as I think lyrics would be too much to try and put in and may take away from the overall enjoyment. It could work though, but it would add a lot more work for the poor soul making all of these. I have no idea if this is technically possible for the streaming team to pull off, but I can dream for now.
So, I will now give you an elevator pitch for each of the teams based on their team name, location, or whatever else.
ISFL: NSFC
Baltimore Hawks: Had to start with a tough one. Baltimore’s musical history is steeped in Jazz and African American music having thriving ragtime, gospel, doo-wop periods. Phillip Glass the famous modern composer also comes from Baltimore and his style of music works amazingly well for soundtrack stuff as it can be quite minimalist. I don’t know if these styles would suit the Hawks or the nature of a sim football game. Of course, if the GM’s wanted to have that sort of vibe they could, but the logo of the Hawk gives me more the idea of a really technical pop-metal kind of thing. Like some anime theme tune. Over the top guitar solos, fleeing bpm, multiple chord and key changes. Hyperactive rock music that is cheesy and fun but also wails. I think that would be a better backdrop for the Hawks home games. Band to give you an idea: Dragonforce
Berlin Fire Salamanders: Berlin has a rich history of all kinds of music, but for me when I think of Berlin I think of techno. After Kraftwerk inspired musicians all over the world with their electronic music, Detroit formulated the foundations of Techno. Techno found its way back to Germany, where you could argue it all began and developed its own unique style. Repetitive, hypnotic and pounding Berlin techno would be a gritty and intense style of theme tune for the Fire Salamanders. It could start off with just a beat and a bassline and then gradually build and shift over the course of the game. This would be one of the easiest to write so it could repeat, as you have the outro the same as the intro and just let it roll on.
Chicago Butchers: Once again Chicago is a hotpot of musical styles and genres with everything from Dixieland Jazz to Blues and Rock n Roll (Chess Records being a massively influential recording studio and label) all the way to modern-day Hip-hop with Kanye West or the Alternative music from the ’90s like The Jesus Lizard and The Smashing Pumpkins. Given the Butchers edgy logo, I think a violent type of music would suit their theme tune. Possibly some Metal or Hardcore Punk would fit the tone of their brand. Something with tough guitars and a lot of attitude. Maybe some kind of Jesus Lizard type tune with a rumbling menacing bass line, pounding drums and guitar chords stabbing in and out, or a more straight-up punk rock song. One thing I know is that this song would need some big tough riffs. Another way to go would be to have some pretty heavy going hip-hop or go for really brutal dance music. Lots of ways to get that toughness across depending on what the GM’s would like.
Colorado Yeti –  For this one I’ll go with the Yeti theme. When I think of a Yeti, I think of being out in the wilderness, up a mountain in a forest. The music I associate with that environment is bluegrass. We would need some big-time banjo for this song, mixing it with other stringed instruments like guitar, mandolin, double bass and the fiddle. It might not be as intimidating a sound as a heavy metal track, but it would be a light-hearted diversion from the more intense styles of other teams. It could still be dark and menacing if you get the right tonality, but I always think of bluegrass as being music for dancing. Party time at Colorado and everyone is invited.
Philadelphia Liberty – Philly is known for it’s funky and smooth soul music. That could be a really great way to write a theme tune for this team. Funky bass lines, lush orchestration and some smooth melodies and chord changes could create a boogie wonderland whilst dots smash each other to bits. Don’t fight it, baby, it might be strange having a game as violent as simulation football set to the soundtrack of a buddy cop film from the 1970s but just let it happen. The fun in this song would be the modulations you can do through the various sections, changing key as you go to another section of the part. This would help keep it moving and keep things interesting for the listeners.
Sarasota Sailfish – This one will be a bit of a stretch but here goes. Sarasota is one of the wealthier regions of Florida couple that with the Sailfish and I’m thinking yacht. Florida has a sizable Hispanic community, and if I’m on an expensive yacht sport-fishing sailfish, I think I’m going to be listening to some Latin American music. A salsa, a samba, a cheeky wee bossa-nova. I think this is the way I would go when trying to create a theme tune for the Sailfish. Possibly could go in an 80’s pop direction as well, do a rip of Rio by Duran Duran. Whatever way it ends up, it needs to sound luxurious and expensive or we’ll all get kicked out for bringing down the tone of the place.
Yellowknife Wraiths – Black Metal. 100%. Their team logo is a wraith so anything other than spooky weird metal would just be a disappointment. I wouldn’t do it too over the top as that would probably annoy a lot of the listeners, but it would be a heavy metal/rock using discordant riffs. Probably stick some spooky keys in there. Blast beats are an acquired taste so maybe use them quite sparingly but sneak one in during a bridge section. Keep it grim and keep it on edge but don’t scare the kids away. I think it’s important to remember when doing these things that it still has to make the experience better. If you go too far with any of these songs people are just going to mute the video which is the opposite of what I’m hoping for in this idea that’ll probably never happen.
ISFL: ASFC
Arizona Outlaws – This one I would probably go with a cowboy feel. Rip off Ennio Morricone and have some cool spaghetti western-style music. Lush strings with a mysterious melody over the top. Big bells accentuating points, and some bugle-horn thrown in there to really stir up that nostalgia for the embryonic stages of America. Need to have a wee snare drum doing a little marching rhythm at some point as well. Make the viewers feel like they have been transported back in time to watch a simulation football game in the wild west.
Austin Copperheads – Now for me, Austin will always be synonymous with SXSW the annual music conference where musicians from all over the world flock to trying to catch the eye of some A&R guy to help their career take a leap to the next level. All kinds of music are represented there so that doesn’t help narrow down the style I would choose, but I would be leaning more towards Indie rock. The copperhead is a pretty badass venomous snake which leads me to think the music should have a bit of badassness about it too. Maybe some sort of Alternative Rock-type theme tune would be good. In the style of like the Pixies or Cursive or Husker Du. Guitar rock type of thing, lots of hipster points whilst still having an edge to represent the scary snake team mascot.
Honolulu Hahalua – I don’t want to pigeonhole the Hahalua squad, but this seems a slam dunk to me. Traditional Hawaiian music. We get some ukulele, slack key guitar, a bit of steel guitar. Some lovely chords with a gentle melody to lull everyone into a false sense of security before Honolulu smashes some skulls. Obviously, they could go for something more upbeat or modern, or maybe halfway through the gentle Hawaiian song, it could break into a pop-punk version because why not. I for one would like a nice gentle tune for their theme tune, everyone can take a little break, just like the teams playing them get to. I’m kidding, I’m kidding. Aloha to my Honolulu brothers and sisters.
New Orleans Second Line – Duh. It would be some New Orleans Jazz played by a marching band. This one would be a challenge to write and record as you would have to do so many parts. Need to get all the different brass parts down. In fact, you would 100% use a Jazz standard so it wouldn’t be hard to write, just difficult to produce it all. It would be a lot of fun though and would bring a party atmosphere to the NOLA home games. Might as well be having fun whilst the Second Line are beating you to a pulp.
New York Silverbacks – New York is tough and Silverbacks are intimidating mutha luvvas. I think a really tough gritty Hip-hop track would be best for this. New York was one of the birthplaces of Hip-hop and I think it would suit the feel of the big hulking Silverback mascot to have a muscular hip hop track. You could also go for a Ramones style punk song to capture the gritty edge of New York. It could be a clean old school track like Eric B and Rakim or take a more sample-heavy style like Public Enemy. Something instrumental and tough is what I’m thinking.
Orange County Otters – The first musical style I think of when I hear Orange County is pop-punk. I’m ancient and so was a teenager around the time that pop-punk was all kicking off. It’s in my bones and lodged in my brain. This would be a classic slice of pop-punk, heavy on the pop. Catchy melody over some stupidly fast drums with big power chords. Easy peasy. As it was instrumental you would have to imagine the innuendo and dick jokes in the lyrics but I’m sure that will not be a challenge for many of us here.
San Jose Sabercats – San Jose is close to San Francisco, which has better tunes so let’s base it around there. San Francisco will always be hippy central to me so how about some mad 60’s psychedelic pop/rock music for the San Jose Sabercats? Doesn’t feel like it fits their branding as that is quite sleek, but I can make it work. Either that or we could go with the music listened to by the tech folk over in Silicon Valley. What do they listen to? Probably some sort of EDM? That suits the Sabercats branding a bit better so maybe be the option. I think I would have to defer to the GM’s with this one as I’ve got next to no inspiration. Sorry SJS, it’s not you, it’s me.
DSFL: North
Kansas City Coyotes – When I see a coyote I always think of that Simpsons episode where Homer eats the chilli and has a hallucination where he meets his spirit guide, a coyote named Wolfy. To me, the music that suits that image would be some desert rock like Kyuss and Queens of The Stone Age and that whole thing. Some big sleazy riffs and make it a bit psychedelic and weird. It could also be a more Doors type song like Riders on The Storm. I would want to take people on a trip to the desert where they too could meet their very own Wolfy.
London royals – Once again London has a plethora of musical styles attached to it so you could go any way you wanted. I think it would be funny to have a really regal piece of classical music for the Royals. Like Rule Britannia or a Waltz or some big grand March. Think the British Bulldog’s entrance music back when it was called the WWF. If you wanted a bit more edge you could have punk of the ’70s or you could create a Grime track to make it more contemporary. There really are countless ways the Royals could go with this. The tough part would be choosing what they wanted.
Minnesota Grey Ducks – Prince is from Minnesota, that ends the deliberation for that then. I’m not sure how much it would tie in with the Grey Duck vibe but if you get a chance to do a Prince rip off you take it. Some weird funky pop song with drum machines, guitar keys funky bass etc. You could really go to town, even creating a medley of Prince songs and mash them all together. I think it would be more fun to create your own songs though. For me, I would go down this route completely though you could always go for some more folk/traditional sort of vibe.
Portland Pythons – Portland is the epicentre of hipster life and I love it for it. I would want to do a Dandy Warhols and adopted Portlanders Pavement inspired Indie rock song. Loose jangly guitars, lo-fi drums and weird sounds for the melodies. I think any kinda kooky or weird music would fit with Portland and we can all pretend that we don’t even care about theme tunes anyway because we are all too cool.
DSFL: South
Bondi Beach Buccaneers – Pirate music! I’m not sure about Australian music outside of Courtney Barnett so I think I would focus on the fact they are god damn Pirates. I do love Courtney Barnett but I’m not missing out on the chance to make a seas shanty. It could go like Alestorm and take a pirate metal type feel, or it could go more traditional with accordions and whistles etc. Either way, it would be a total blast to make some sort of Pirate song and it would be worth this whole thing to have a pirate song played whilst a simulation football game is going on. What a time to be alive.
Dallas Birddogs – Dallas gets to be the country team. A big old slice of Country music to make you feel right at home whilst in Texas. Hunting and country music seem like they would get along so I’ll go with a country song here and bring that classic American sound to the DSFL.
Norfolk Seawolves – You’re giving me nothing here Norfolk. You can have English folk music and like it. Either that or we can go with Submarine music, which would be… something. How about Shoegaze? It sounds like it’s underwater some of the time. Orrr we could have a cool Trip Hop tune like Massive Attack or Tricky. This one would be Gm’s choice again as I’m at a loss.
Tijuana Luchadores – Wrestling and Mexico. The stereotypical choice is Mariachi music. That would be a fun time for everyone. Mexico also absolutely loves metal music so I think Mariachi Metal could be a fascinating and fun thing to create. Like Iron Maiden playing a mariachi song. Tell me that isn’t weird enough to warrant someone making and I’ll tell you you’re lying.

There it is my grand vision for every team's theme song. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am and why Austin Copperheads should obviously have a dancehall reggae theme tune.

Word Count - 2825

RE: Musical theme tunes - Mooty99 - 01-24-2021

Austin theme song, Copperhead Road surely

RE: Musical theme tunes - SwankyPants31 - 01-25-2021

Big Iron is the theme song of the Arizona Outlaws and you can't convince me otherwise

RE: Musical theme tunes - 37thchamber - 01-25-2021

You know... making original music pieces could be a really awesome addition. Would have to be original music probably because of copyright/streaming etc... but it would be a serious level-up for the streams and draft presentations. I've wondered for a while how we could improve things to the point that people uninvolved in the league might want to tune in. Like how random people watch eSports and shit.

Making the pieces would be a fair bit of work though, and not sure how it would affect the workload of streamers to edit in music etc.

Maybe I'll look at making a few short pieces anyway. Gives me something to do in my downtime, and I've been meaning to get back into music production. I'm certain I could come up with something good for a few of these.

RE: Musical theme tunes - DarknessRising - 01-25-2021

(01-25-2021, 05:46 AM)37thchamber Wrote: You know... making original music pieces could be a really awesome addition. Would have to be original music probably because of copyright/streaming etc... but it would be a serious level-up for the streams and draft presentations. I've wondered for a while how we could improve things to the point that people uninvolved in the league might want to tune in. Like how random people watch eSports and shit.

Making the pieces would be a fair bit of work though, and not sure how it would affect the workload of streamers to edit in music etc.

Maybe I'll look at making a few short pieces anyway. Gives me something to do in my downtime, and I've been meaning to get back into music production. I'm certain I could come up with something good for a few of these.

Bear in mind I am saying this with like a week only expereince of understanding the streaming proces....But what occurs now is that music is done through a spotify playlist or another source. So if the music tracks were made into a spotify playlist and made long enough for a stream (or just have songs eventually repeat) it would be pretty simple to apply the music to the stream as the streamers have already been doing that

Now if you wanted to play particular songs here and there for certain lengths, that's when it would really get into the workload of streamers to prepare

RE: Musical theme tunes - Arvot - 01-25-2021

(01-25-2021, 07:14 AM)DarknessRising Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 05:46 AM)37thchamber Wrote: You know... making original music pieces could be a really awesome addition. Would have to be original music probably because of copyright/streaming etc... but it would be a serious level-up for the streams and draft presentations. I've wondered for a while how we could improve things to the point that people uninvolved in the league might want to tune in. Like how random people watch eSports and shit.

Bear in mind I am saying this with like a week only expereince of understanding the streaming proces....But what occurs now is that music is done through a spotify playlist or another source. So if the music tracks were made into a spotify playlist and made long enough for a stream (or just have songs eventually repeat) it would be pretty simple to apply the music to the stream as the streamers have already been doing that

Now if you wanted to play particular songs here and there for certain lengths, that's when it would really get into the workload of streamers to prepare
Yeah, this is what I thought. It would probably be unreasonable for the person streaming to line up the songs and play them for the correct team etc. You would probably need another person doing the music for the stream whilst the main person dealt with the sim etc. Not impossible but would be very difficult to implement I think. It could be done quite easily after the stream though, for anyone who was watching the youtube video.