International Simulation Football League
(S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=29755)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Pib - 02-01-2021

I never really watched much of the old sim, as every game my player has been involved in has been simulated on the newer DDSPF21 engine. So, while I cannot specifically comment on differences, I can say that the streams are entertaining to watch. I know that the streamers were also looking for feedback on the speed of the games a while back, so I’d imagine that has been tinkered with while they find their feet. I think they’ve done well to find the balance of “followable” and yet not have the streams turn into 4 hour marathons every week - despite some of the complaints I saw in discord servers early on. Each to their own on that front, I guess.

There does seem to be an awful lot of explosive plays but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. I have admittedly been paying more attention to the DSFL streams, as that’s where my player currently is. There’s every chance that defenders are just missing tackles and so forth, due to lower stats in crucial areas. I know I missed 2/4 tackles in my debut, for example.

Overall though, I think everyone involved has done a great job and the transition has been seamless, which is a testament to the guys charged with bringing the new engine in. While I am sure there will be further balance alterations in the coming months, I think the foundations laid so far are solid and provide for exciting game days.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Crodyman - 02-01-2021

The new sim has been kind to Wasrabi Gleel. In his limited time in the ISFL, he’s been heavily involved in the Butchers gameplan and last game he registered his first ISFL sack. The Butchers easily are playoff contenders this season, having more collective TPE than any other team in the league. I’m feeling optimistic about our chances of taking home the Ultimnus.

The streams have been good in my opinion. They happen pretty fast, and there are new places to look for things like stats and play results, but I just turn the playback speed to .75 and it’s perfect. The amount of work that has gone into this sim migration is mind boggling, and everyone involved deserves a cookie from the collective ISFL community.

One thing that has been mentioned ad nauseum is how overpowered high TPE running backs are. It’s great for them, but as a defensive player I wince every time I see a 200+ yd rushing game--even if it’s Baby Yoda.

Finally, I’ve loved seeing all the different home field designs. This additional customization really breathes new life into the league by allowing teams a bit more expression. My favorite is obviously the Chicago field, designed by the inimitable ThunderTitan.

(205 words)

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - SomeSay... - 02-01-2021

Season 27 is off to a busy start with the new sim. Write 200 words about your first impressions of the games you've seen so far in the new sim. How's your player/team doing? Are you enjoying the streams? Do you have a favorite home field design?

S27 Already, man, can’t believe I have been in the league for a actual year now. Crazy. Anyway, new sim is nice, aesthetically it is a massive upgrade in my opinion. The fields, the numbers, seeing the plays in the box just all is more legible and vibrant. As someone who owns the sim, I knew what we would see but forgot about how much I like some of the new features, the sidebars that rotate throughout the game so you can see stats no matter what is happening on the field is a great touch. I think are lava endzone design that got shut down for no good reason was the best design, but it is what it is. So, no opinions on fields. Player seems to be doing like every sim, shutting down WR but not getting a single interception. Although, going back to the sim, I love that we can see targets and catches allowed will really help see who the best corners in the game are. Team nis doing ok, I feel like we could/should be doing a bit better, but time will tell, been testing somethings so who knows what might come of it. Overall, streams, sims and everything about it is great. Glad we made the switch.

Code:
216 words. 260 with written option

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - j00 - 02-01-2021

Bondi Beach Buccaneers
[Image: 28DObwD.jpg]

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - yonggarius - 02-01-2021

This new sim has been very interesting to watch so far. All sorts of crazy performances had been popping off, especially on the offensive side. There's so much quirkiness in this sim lately that I can usually see a message along the lines of "lmfao wtf" being sent during stream time.

Also, it seems like William Lim saw immense benefits from this sim change. In the two games he played so far this season, William managed to get over 300 yards, a little over a 320 to be exact. And he started off the season with a 174 yard performance. Fortunately for William, it seems like his hot streak early on this season is not projected to be an outlier. Season sim conducted with actual files had William gaining around high 1000s 2000 yard on the entire season, with varying numbers of touchdowns averaging around 10 or so. One outlier sim even had William gaining 2500 yards and 20 touchdowns, which is mind boggling to say the least.

While the numbers vary a bit from sim to sim, the results are pointing that William Lim is bound for a good season of production. Hopefully, the simulations will come true and William can add another accolade to his resume. (208)

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - ryd029aird13 - 02-01-2021

My first impressions of the new sim, I am very impressed. The new layout and look makes the stream look even better and the pitch designs are awesome. The graphics team have done a great job of putting it together. There is a downside to the new sim, unless I am missing it, the in game player stat update. I used to enjoy seeing how Buster Bawlls had done nothing for the full game only to pop up with the playoff clinching overtime touchdown for the win. That being said what a start to this new sim for the New York Silverbacks. 100% record for the first 2 games. Buster Bawlls also tallying 6 pancakes which is reasonable, until you see that a wide-receiver had 4 pancakes in 1 game. Is the sim broken or do the corners need to hit the gym. After staying up to watch the inaugural stream of the new sim, only to find it delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. My first experience was gameday 2, when the Silverbacks looked awesome as they walked over the otters again. The challenge of the game was trying to determine which player was which, when looking at the same numbered player on defence.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - LancedJack - 02-01-2021

So far the sim seems pretty fantastic since the switch. I've gotta mirror what others have said but that change in pace has lead to a lot more eyes being on the general play to play of the stream as opposed to the stramash of plays that happen all at once or too quick to really look at and analyse. The older sim would result in people watching and by the time you'd go to discord to react and then go back there'd already been about 8 other things happen. The slower sim allows for a slow burn of reactions to build up and really lends itself more to the overall feel of the games. My players playing pretty well so far which has been a nice transition as well. Admittedly I'm now playing on a different team so the setup feels different as well but being able to identify the ball, my player and watch the two interact has given me a better appreciation of precisely whats going on. Overall I'm a huge fan of 21. It has its quirks as everyone has pointed out and you can't please everyone but I think it would be difficult to claim that this isn't a huge step up on 16 and has improved the ISFL overall.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Arvot - 02-01-2021

I am enjoying the new sim for the most part but it took a bit of getting used to. I had to figure out the best place to track what was happening. I think the bar down the bottom is where I'll look to see who done what, but the issue is that if I miss a play I can't look back and see what happened. Sometimes there is a lot of information to take in and it's gone by the time I've read it.
I also feel like the plays are slightly too fast and the gaps between each play are too long. I'm guessing this is just what the sim is like and can't be changed but if it can I think having less time in between each snap whilst having the actual plays a tiny bit slower would improve the viewing experience.
I actually am not a huge fan of having different coloured fields and would prefer it if it was all green and the endzone just had designs in them. Makes it easier to follow. Most teams that would have a coloured field are probably going to pick their team colours, but their strips are also that colour. Can make it more difficult to watch.
I've recently joined the Second Line and we are not doing great. 1st game we got robbed by the sim choosing to spike the ball after a 70-yard play instead of taking a timeout which cost us about 50 seconds. That was annoying but we held in there in the first game. The second game was tough but still promising. Hopefully, we can turn around our season over the next few games, got some tough opponents coming up though.
Word Count = 288

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Opera_Phantom - 02-01-2021

New sim, same old results for the Arizona Outlaws. Coming into the season with high expectations, they now find themselves with a 0 - 2 record and still looking to get that first win on the new sim engine. Being on the toughest conference means that they should not be dropping games, especially at home, as that will probably haunt them at the end of the regular season, when they win the conference and for some reason still miss the playoffs due to tiebreakers or something like that. Classic Zona.
As for the new sim, I really enjoyed watching the week 2 sim, but that's probably because i do not watch the streams live, so i can pretty much go straight into the Outlaws game. The game streams take a lot more time than on DDSPF16, and while the visuals are better on this one, with a lot more info and all the plays (easier on the eyes), the Arizona game was the last on the schedule and started i think about 1 hour and a half after the first game. So, for people watching live, that is a lot of time to be waiting for games.
This means that more than ever, it is very important to shuffle the team order for streams every week.

(215 words)

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - qWest - 02-01-2021

I'm always super into team branding and I've been so excited by the new opportunities that the custom field designs in DDSPF21 offer, so let's go ahead and jump straight into a tier list ranking of the designs displayed so far!

ISFL

S-Tier: Arizona Outlaws, Yellowknife Wraiths
Arizona's endzones look so clean, they're probably the best ones I've seen so far between both leagues. This is absolutely the best use of a secondary logo I've seen in a while, it works really well in combination with the primary logo on this field. AZ has one of the best looking green turf colors and I love the numbering and stroke used for yard markers.
Yellowknife absolutely takes the cake for grey fields from the three I've seen so far. Endzone is a bit over-designed, but I love how well their field connects with and builds on their branding. I do think it might be better with a more interesting number font, and with the font being black with a blue stroke.

A-Tier: Baltimore Hawks, Philadelphia Liberty
Baltimore didn't do much of anything to tweak the numbers or the turf color, but it's already pretty solid as-is. The center-field logo is well sized and the center and redzone yard lines look clean and cool. I'm a big fan of the use of the Baltimore flag in the endzones, and they picked a good font (very Ravens-esque). Wish they'd used an angular stroke rather than a rounded one though.
Philadelphia similarly chose to stick with the clean simple green turf, though they did customize their number text, which looks great and fits well with their classic endzones, which they've been using forever and I'm a big fan of. Also love that they used their "secondary logo," which is a way better than their primary version.

B-Tier: New Orleans Second Line, Austin Copperheads
Both teams used very straightforward grass designs, though NOLA could really do with turning down the TV static on their turf. NOLA's midfield logo is too big and Austin's looks way too pale and unfocused. NOLA gets points for using a custom number font (whereas AUS used the default option), though ultimately I don't care for the font they used much as the details in them are too small for the size that the numbers are on the field. NOLA did a great job with their right endzone, but I'm not a fan of the script on the left side. Austins endzones are inoffensive. The scale pattern is interesting, but it's a bit too small for the size and the endzone suffers from the same washed-out feel of their center-field.

C-Tier: New York Silverbacks, Colorado Yeti
I love the idea behind NY's field design, but the final product is just too busy. Picking a better number font, downsizing and re-centering the midfield logo, and opting for a turf with an alternating darkness pattern (like AZ's or YK's) would bring this up a lot.
Colorado's field is really well executed, but the design idea and the connection to their brand identity is a total miss for me. They picked a nice shade of grey, but nothing about it connects to the rest of their branding. They picked a great endzone font and I like the overall look, but I the use of the logo for the "C" is another big miss for me. The mountains are probably the best execution of a sublimated design flair, so they get points for that.

D-Tier: Chicago Butchers, Orange County Otters
Chicago is probably getting more points off than they deserve just because I think they have one of the worst brandings in the league. I wish they'd gone for a darker grey and toned down the field texture a bit. The number and endzone fonts are both really bland and uninspired, not to mention the centering on the endzones is all over the place. Also, if you're going to go for a grey field, I feel like you should commit to using black as your primary color on your dots.
I like the idea for going for a vibrant green turf, but it is a bit too neon. OCO picked a bland and unattractive number font and one upped that by making their endzones even more bland and unattractive. I really don't like the helmet on the endzone, especially if you're going to use an out-of-date revo helmet. This gets more points of than it deserves because I designed endzones for them last season that I think are way better and more fitting of the kind of simple and classic aesthetic that they seem to be looking for.

F-Tier: Berlin Fire Salamanders
I'm already not a fan of Berlin's logo whatsoever, and it looks even worse to me blown up to that size and but at 50% opacity. To make it even worse if you aren't a fan of Berlin's logo (or just bad design in general) is that they decided to slap it on the field 7 times. Look to Yellowknife if you want to see a good way to display your home nation's flag rather than slapping it over the whole endzone.