International Simulation Football League
(S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=29755)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - speculadora - 02-02-2021

I'm somewhat surprised to scroll through the replies and see mostly favorable takes. I agree with just about everyone that DDSPF16 had its issues, but the only tangible benefit I feel like we gained from the switch to 21 is the player traits. But I'm not sure that the end result is all that different in terms of being able to customize your player.

You could argue that increased playcalling options are a bonus, too, but more is definitely not better in this case. There is a huge variety of possible game plan options and absolutely zero effective way to test the performance of them. It's incredibly frustrating because you're pretty much just guessing when it comes to setting strategy, which ultimately creates a situation where we arguably have too much parity, which I actually already think was a problem. Easy for me to say as resident OCO guy, but toward the end of our time with '16 it already felt like the ASFC was just a giant random number generator. Now it looks like the entire league might be that way, except for Baltimore who is consistently awful in season sims and gives NSFC teams two free wins.

In terms of stats and effectiveness of different positions, I really felt like we were in a great place balance-wise with 16. We could have stood to make running a bit less effective to alter the meta, but overall stats looked good. And maybe this is at the core of DDSPF21 seeming like total nonsense as I play around with it. The sim team basically had a season and some change to design archetypes, set rules, and balance test. I just don't think this engine is even remotely close to being ready for use on top of the other issues, as evidenced by the last second RB skill patch. If that wasn't revealed in the sim team's work getting all of this ready, what else are we missing?

Finally, there are the changes that are purely cosmetic, which I could take or leave personally. The sim speed is really annoying - I think last night's lasted 90 minutes - but it's not the worst thing since, other than playoffs, live sims don't feel like much of an event since the switch to youtube, and non-live viewers can always just await the VOD. There also seems to be a really awful issue with penalties in this sim, and game intelligence doesn't seem to have improved much with timeouts still being called between three straight half-ending runs.

Ultimately I might be one of the only people here who is totally off put by the switch. And before you say it's because OCO sux, remember that we weren't exactly crushing it lately with 16. I think my biggest gripe is that it feels like this was all rushed for the benefit of... watching passes move through the air? This doesn't feel like a real upgrade so much as a lateral move for most users and, so far, probably a move in the wrong direction for people who are really involved with their teams. I think waiting a bit and simming through a season or two in tandem with 16 would have been prudent. You could have largely copied strats and generated player builds to get further samples that way.

In the end the switch was made. I'm not interested enough to really push further against it - I think the time for that is long past anyway - but this is draining my interest in the league even faster than had already been happening.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - bjkman - 02-03-2021

3 Games back from a "Kicker of the Year" Performance and I am off to a fantastic start just like last year. I currently am 11/11 on Field Goals and 8/8 on Extra Points, which are the most Field Goals in the league and the 4th most Extra Points. The Sailfish started out 2-1 which is good because the first two games were on the road meaning there was a chance that we could be 1-2 or 0-3 to start out the year. That is not a good start to a possible playoff run. In terms of the new sim and the new streams, while they are a bit slower than previous seasons that just means there is more sim football to enjoy every day! I really like that, and I am also a big fan of the new setup. In terms of the team fields, I am a big fan of Norfolk blue field and Tijuana's large luchador in the DSFL, and I really like the mountains in the Yeti field and the blue field of Honolulu's home field in the ISFL. This was a great artistic and fan-friendly change to the ISFL streams and I am excited to see if there are any other cool changes on the horizon for the streams. This is a fantastic start, however.

Code:
220 Words

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Goat_Whisperer - 02-03-2021

I have not been watching any of the streams. I don't know that much about the sim, has there been something that caused controversy early on, or has everything gone well?

However, what I do know is that the transition to the new sim engine for me was a smooth one. I submitted a new build in the update thread and that was that, smooth process.

Yellowknife Wraiths has started the season pretty well. The team has won two games out of three so far. The only loss is against Chicago Butchers, we also lost to them during the pre-season, so they are some kind of bogey team for Wraiths, hopefully, we can kick their ass later in the season!

For me, the season has been ok. I had a solid training camp and a pre-season, I was able to improve as a player. I don't exactly know how well this new build will perform in this new sim - it has been three games after all, but I'm optimistic that I can do my little part out there. I have been working on my intelligence lately, which is a mission impossible for someone like me, but if I can keep on improving even a little bit and help the team to win, great.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - SchoolboyShue - 02-03-2021

PBE

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - NicholasTheGreat - 02-03-2021

[Image: unknown.png]

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - C9Van - 02-03-2021

PBE Affiliate

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - TropicaliaCC - 02-03-2021

There are definitely aspects of the new sim that I enjoy more than the old version. For one it feels more like you are watching a football game in real time, and it is nice to see less glitchy dots. Also, seeing the ball leave the QBs hands is neat. I do feel like it is harder to follow previous plays because they got rid of the log along the side that recorded play results, so If you are not locked in it is hard to tell what Individual players are doing well statistically. As for my team, the London Royals are off to a 1-2 start. The defense seems very dialed in, but youth on the offense is lagging behind a touch. I think that ultimately we can make a deep playoff run once some od the TPE starts to build up for the new guys, especially my boy Red Arrow Jr. I was watching the stream last night and I actually really liked Kansa City’s home field design. I thought it was unique with the color of the field. While my Royals are off to a tough start, my pro team San Jose is clapping cheeks. I feel like they are definitely a playoff team this year even in a tough conference.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - ThunderTitan82 - 02-03-2021

My first impression of the new sim is mostly good. I like the added depth of stats within the sim, the only downside is we can’t access them from the index. It seems like big plays happen more often, at least on offense, and defenses aren’t quite as dominant, that’s my first impression anyways. As far as the safety position it seems there is a bit more of a level playing field with tackles, there isn’t so far any one safety with 50 tackles already, everyone seems to hover in the upper teens and move up a couple tackles per game, same thing with interceptions. Literally one single great game could decide the safety race for awards and who is the best at the position. I’m a little confused about the targets and catches allowed, non catches in this area don’t count as PDs but there isn’t anyway to determine if the receiver dropped it after a hit or went out of bounds or just dropped it. I think that would help my conscience because I get targeted so much lmfao, if I’m at least playing good coverage and am the reason they didn’t catch it then I’m happier hahaha. Overall I like the nook of the new sim, the games are damn long but they are more exciting to watch now.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - noanic - 02-03-2021

I can't say too much about the new sim, since I haven't seen much of the old one. However, certain things did catch my eye. One thing that many here have already mentioned is the game speed. With several players coming from overseas, it's harder for them to stay up as long as they do, which the new sim makes it even more difficult. Reading stats is also a bit more tiring, as the window is much smaller and also switches between team and individual stats all the time. When it comes to the actual gameplay, I can not make any exact statements. Everything looks fine to me. The running backs are making their runs, and the receivers are catching their balls. Every now and then the offense makes a bigplay (even if sometimes there are a lot of them in one game) or the defense makes a sack or an interception. It only gets weird when you see the blowouts that sometimes happen.
Also the stats look relatively realistic to me, when you compare them to real football stats. I think the most noticeable difference is the field. It looks better than the old one and the personalization for each team is great. In summary, I am very happy with the current sim except for two super small drawbacks.

RE: (S27) PT1 - First Impressions - Cklues - 02-03-2021

This is my first season in the league, and I joined as a free agent, so the Tuesday night games were the first games that I’ve experienced. I liked the sim, especially how it apparently is slower than the last sim. I even think the current sim moves a little fast, but I’m also not very used to this yet. I liked being able to follow along with the stats along the side of the screen if I got behind the stream. I went back to look at the fields from week 1 too and I think that the Pythons field is my favorite. I’m pretty biased but the field has a very classic field to it and the green on black in the endzones looks very good. My player’s debut (Logan Anderson) in week 2 was surprising to me, because I came in as an undrafted free agent and I was behind two other DE’s who had much higher TPE than me but I still had 5 tackles by the end of the game. It was very promising considering I was only at 50 TPE. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season to see how I do and to see if the Pythons continue their dominance.