International Simulation Football League
*Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! (/showthread.php?tid=29971)

*Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! - Gragg9 - 02-15-2021

Hey y’all! As many of you probably know I’ve been stalking the members of S28 via the TPE tracker and compiling some stats on a sheet of my own. I’ll be mentioning that sheet a lot in this media so if you want to check it out here feel free to do so. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XDGzp6kw9QpoanqsWb7hYVZ3vHZLMDCCRmiV88rVcxQ/edit#gid=106559196
You can filter and sort it to your heart's desire if you make a copy (file>make a copy). If there’s enough interest I can make another one of these for the S29 and future classes as well. As always feel free to leave comments, questions, and suggestions.

So here we are! The halfway point of the DSFL season! (ok, a little past that but I was busy). By now myself and others have talked a good bit about how this S28 class is stacked. Now we have the data to back that up. I don’t know if there are set parameters for a ‘max earner’ but by my approximations a bit over half of the class is attempting to do every point task, activity check, etc. I don’t know how past seasons were looking at this time (future media piece?), but I think it’s safe to say that this is a large portion of rookies staying engaged and competitive.

In terms of numbers there were 70 draftees this season with an additional 8 free agents. There were no more free agents added this week and with the deadline approaching, I think it’s safe to say the class of S28 is 78 members strong. 14 of those are at 57 or fewer TPE and 19 have not updated since the draft. The *average* TPE halfway through the season, not including the 14 who never made it past 57, is 153. At this rate, by the beginning of next season the average S28 draftee will be capped. In fact, the top ten members of the class in terms of TPE are already above 200. Speaking of top members…

The highest earning player at each position so far is:

OL: Stumpy Jones, FootballIsCool, Pick 31,  POR
216 TPE, class rank 1

WR: Saleem Spence, StadiumGambler, Pick 34, POR
214 TPE, class rank 2

DT: Prof. Godfrey Gravity, z0rem, Pick 17,  KCC
211 TPE, class rank 4

DE: Glenn Smart, Pib, Pick 6,  LON
208 TPE, class rank 5

QB: Dexter Zaylren, Laser, Pick 8,  BBB
205 TPE, class rank 6

RB: Busch Goose, infinitempg, Pick 41, KCC
204 TPE, class rank 8

LB: Dexter Hall, firstfray, Pick 9, KCC
197 TPE, class rank 14

CB: Juno Hu, j00, Pick 10, TIJ
196 TPE, class rank 15

S: Cole Maxwell, Alcott, Pick 28, DAL
192 TPE, class rank 18

TE: Bender Rodriguez, shrub02, Pick 43, MIN
164 TPE, class rank 31

K/P: Alastor Hazbin, Peterson, Pick 70, LON
131 TPE, class rank 44

FB: whoever creates a fullback before the deadline gets this spot unless someone position switches. You know you want to.

You may have noticed several late round draft picks included in the position leaders. While this is likely due to some high-earners with early call-up plans, I think most were just high value, pleasant surprises. 4 of the current top 10 TPE earners are from rank 30 or below.

The honor of most position leaders goes to the Coyotes, though a shout out to the Pythons for getting both of the current top-earners. The SeaWolves have the dubious distinction of having not a single position leader. I’m sorry to say that’s not the only draft woe they’re having this season.

[Image: 7QZ6H4Q.png]

I looked at which teams gained the most TPE value from the draft so far, in part shown by these tables. It is important to note this does not account for locker room fits, player leaders, positional need, call-up plans, or other important draft considerations. The only difference between the two tables is that the top includes free agents, which can skew things a little bit as it usually draws the average down, yet those free agents improve the team. As you can see Portland is the undisputed champ in these metrics. I'm unsure if Stumpy Jones or Saleem Spence are planning on going straight up to the ISFL. If not, then I’d call Portland the winner of the draft in terms of TPE. On the other end of the league we have the unfortunate Norfolk SeaWolves. I’m sure they picked up some great players, but this metric is unkind to them. Several of their players have not been updating well since the draft. Of course, there are a few players that seem to save up and do their updates every couple weeks. It’s also worth noting the Norfolk appeared to have more late round picks, and thus ended up with three 50 TPE players to drag their average down.  I may be biased here...Actually nevermind, I’m not biased. I have data to back up this opinion: Minnesota currently has the best earning rookies of the draft.

[Image: lqdIJY8.png]

This particular chart shows only the update from this week, but Minnesota finds themselves near the top of the list every week. Meanwhile, BBB, what the hell happened this week? Anyway, if things continue at this pace, Minnesota could be in the conversation for best draft class in terms of raw TPE. (Cause including all factors, they’re clearly the winner already. Go duckies)

I’ve got one last team stat for now and that is simply total TPE added through the S28 class. This includes both drafted and free agents. Of course, teams that added more players, whether it be through more picks or free agents, will get a bit of a boost here.

[Image: 5YGaj1r.png]

Portland is again looking good. Certainly proving that they earned that GM award last season. I’ll reiterate though that the Minnesota draft class is overlooked. Expect them to be showing up as the season goes on. Just for fun I decided to look at what portion of each team’s points this rookie class is. This isn’t something that will be updated in the sheet (yet), but it’s not too hard to figure out.

Portland POR - 32% (who let this team get so much TPE lol)
Dallas DAL - 34%
Minnesota MIN - 36%
Norfolk NOR - 39%
London LON - 39%
Tijuana TIJ - 40%
Bondi Beach BBB - 42%
Kansas City KCC - 52%

With the exception of Kansas City this is about what I expected. Over half the team's firepower being rookies seems pretty crazy to me. That probably speaks more to previous classes and/or unfortunate call ups than this season’s class. The fact that Portland tops this list despite having a fantastic rookie class is the second takeaway. I haven’t been around for long but Portland is somehow hoarding a bunch of talent.

Let’s move on to looking at things another way. Instead of categorizing by team, let’s see which position is earning the most or least on average. In order from highest to lowest:

QB - 191 TPE, 6 players
WR - 168 TPE, 7 players
DE - 155 TPE, 8 players
S - 150 TPE, 7 players
DT - 137 TPE, 4 players
RB - 129 TPE, 11 players
LB - 123 TPE, 6 players
CB - 120 TPE, 11 players
OL - 116 TPE, 8 players
K/P - 108 TPE, 3 players
TE - 94 TPE, 7 players

There’s been much discussion about the stacked QB class, but the Defensive Ends are really showing up. From what I know, most of them are true rookies too, making it all the more impressive. With what seems like a renewed viability of the passing game in the DSFL, I expect Tight Ends to get a lot more attention in future classes as well. Just sayin, I think itd be a good time to recreate to a Hall of Fame attempt TE.

I could continue to vomit out words for a juicier payout, but in interest of keeping things interesting and readable I’ll leave you with one last chart. I know right, I got y’all thinking I’d be using tables forever. This one ain’t the prettiest but it demonstrates the (somewhat loose) relationship between current TPE and draft position. Oh, almost forgot to mention, this chart doesn’t include free agents for obvious reasons.

[Image: rtV28YH.png]
Image link to get a better view

Unfortunately player names aren’t provided on this chart, but if you remember your current points and approximate draft position you can probably manage to find yourself. A few minor takeaways here. At this point I wouldn’t call anyone in the top 15 a ‘bust’. There are certainly some who I won’t single out of course (life is more important that keeping up in ISFL believe it or not), but none were taken in the top of the draft. On the other hand, there were some great value picks in the middle of the draft. Several that I can think of were in saturated draft positions or won’t be sticking the DSFL for long, as I’ve mentioned before. I’m looking forward to seeing this chart again at the end of the season. Maybe even color coded to teams? We’ll see if that effort is worth it.

Ok, that’s all I’ve got for now (that’s worth writing about). Again, if you want to pursue the data yourself you can check out the linked sheet above. It’s all stuff from the TPE tracker so nothing mind-blowing but definitely some interesting tidbits in there. Let me know if there’s any charts, tables, or other stats you want to see for when I do this again at the end of the season. Also let me know if y’all would be interested in similar things for the class or 29. See y’all next time!  

DSFL DSFL DSFL

RE: Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! - zaynzk - 02-15-2021

This is a super cool media!!! Give this man the Bonus!!!!

RE: Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! - firstfray - 02-15-2021

Great media piece! Something cool you could do with that last chart is after the ISFL draft and call ups happen, remake the chart with all the S28 players that stayed down to see the value of each pick.

RE: Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! - Gragg9 - 02-15-2021

(02-15-2021, 05:17 PM)firstfray Wrote: Great media piece! Something cool you could do with that last chart is after the ISFL draft and call ups happen, remake the chart with all the S28 players that stayed down to see the value of each pick.

I like this. It will be done.

RE: Midseason(ish) Class of S28 review! - shrub02 - 02-15-2021

Dude this is great. You have the top-down approach, I got the bottom-up. Perfect one-two punch!