International Simulation Football League
*And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. (/showthread.php?tid=30150)

Pages: 1 2 3

*And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - shadyshoelace - 02-21-2021

This feels pretty weird to write about after almost two real-life years, but all good things must come to an end. S27 will be Nero Alexander's final season in the ISFL. This won't come as a surprise to anyone considering this is Nero's 13th year in the league and he would be regressing below the 150 TPE threshold this offseason along with the last few remaining S15 players - Forrest Gump, Quenton Bode, and Alex D. Even though I've known this is coming for a long time, it's still wild to realize this particular ride is over.

I found the ISFL (then NSFL), as many others did, from a r/NFL post and joined the S15 recruiting class - one of the largest and most significant in league history. I spent a ton of time considering which position to create and ended up choosing DE just based on the number of other creates in the class at various positions, which ended up kind of being a silly decision criteria in the end because I didn't realize how many people would go IA. But even though in hindsight DE may not have been the sexiest choice, I grew to love it over time. There aren't a lot of stats. There aren't a lot of Player of the Game awards. TPE barely correlates with success at all. But I was able to carve out my own niche over time, becoming one of the top DEs in the league in just a few seasons, and I found pride in being a reliable cornerstone player for my teams at a less-heralded position. Fast forward a few years, and Nero has put together a pretty nice resume (as of S27 Week 11, although it's unlikely these change substantially since he's basically playing on a walker these days):

554 tackles
140 tackles for loss
58 sacks
10 FF/4 FR
#1 on career TFL list
#2 on single-season TFL list
5x Pro Bowler
1x Defensive End of the Year
1x Defensive Lineman of the Year
25th Anniversary 1st Team
6x NSFC champion
2x Ultimus champion

I'd like to think that's a Hall of Fame resume, especially since the Hall is so starved for defensive linemen. There was a weird thing where I made 0 Pro Bowls from S21-24 despite being the highest TPE DL in the league for all those seasons (if memory serves), and also the weird thing where I lost 4 consecutive Ultimus games, but even without those I'm proud of what Nero was able to accomplish.

As difficult as it will be to let go of the player, though, the harder part is closing the book on what Nero represents. As a member of the San Antonio Marshals Fab V and one of the greatest teams in DSFL history, then a member of the Yellowknife Wraiths for one of the most dominant regular-season stretches by a team in league history, I've made so many friends and memories through Nero. While those obviously won't go away, it'll be a new era and I'm excited to create a new set of experiences through the eyes of my next player. Yep, you all know where this is going. It's sappy thank you time!

First and foremost, I have to shout out @timeconsumer for really being the person who made me fall in love with the league. I still remember the ripple of pride I felt standing at a bus stop watching the S14 DSFL draft and hearing "This guy makes some awesome graphics" through my headphones. Without your mentorship and friendship, I may not have stuck around this long, and I certainly wouldn't be as invested as I am. Obviously related, but the next set of mentions has to go to my Fab V brothers, @Frick_Nasty, @Duilio05, @Baron1898, and @terriblehippo. I found this league when I was unemployed and I didn't have a lot going on real life-wise, and y'all created a special locker room that really helped me out a lot. Even though we've gone our separate ways as players and don't talk as much as we used to, you guys will always represent the best of this league to me.

@Daybe and @Bigred1580, thank you so much for trusting me as a first round draft pick and bringing me to Yellowknife. All I really knew about the team when I joined was that TC was there, but the Yellowknife Wraiths have become an essential part of my life these days. You guys laid the groundwork for all the success to come and made my future GM job a piece of cake, and to this day I'm happy to call you two of my best friends in the sim league world. There are too many Yellowknife teammates to call out by name, but I definitely have to mention @Air Crou and @ValorX77, my S15 draft class crew. I'm proud to call y'all teammates and excited to see you crushing it on new players and teams. @flyeaglesfly29, you're my bro. That random FA pitch to Lightsout Lewis was the best decision I've ever made in this league, and I couldn't have asked for a better GM partner and friend. You rock, man. @PMoney, you too; you've been an amazing GM successor and amazing defensive line buddy. I'm not going to name more here because the list would be insanely long and I'm afraid of accidentally missing someone, but basically if you've been a part of the Wraiths organization in the last 13 seasons - you know who you are, and you know how much you mean to me.

I'm running out of steam so I'll call it here, but I just want to say that my time in this league as Nero Alexander has genuinely been one of the most fun things I've ever done, even if my fiancee rolls her eyes when I ramble to her about championship games or test sims or draft picks or fantasy teams. So thank you, ISFL, and everyone who has been a part of this journey so far. I can't wait to see what the next era holds.

YKW

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - Rradum - 02-21-2021

S15 Legend. Hell of a career

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - 124715 - 02-21-2021

HOF

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - Rusfan - 02-21-2021

HOF

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - timeconsumer - 02-21-2021

As a fun anecdote, I recall having a scouting conversation with a GM about my Marshals players for the upcoming ISFL draft that season. Of course I had so many good things to say about so many players, that draft class from my team was top tier. But the one specific thing I recall is I referred to shady as "a unicorn" draftee. The kind of user who will go on to be a GM or HO one day, will likely have a HOF player, will likely spend their entire career or a large portion playing for the team that drafts them. I call them unicorns for exactly the reason you'd think, they're myths, they shouldn't exist and if you think you found one, you're probably wrong.

Shady was a unicorn.

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - Memento Mori - 02-21-2021

HOF

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - Duilio05 - 02-21-2021

SA SA

You didn't finish the story. Did you find employment?

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - flyeaglesfly29 - 02-21-2021

Such a special player, but an even cooler person! A true Wraiths legend! Thank you for making that pitch because if you didn’t, idk if this league would even still be a part of my life.

Without a doubt Nero is a first ballot HOF player!

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - CLG Rampage - 02-21-2021

Greatest Wraith I had the pleasure of playing alongside.

RE: And Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. - PMoney - 02-21-2021

Nero isnt just Hall of Fame, he's the greatest DE in the league's history even when the sim tried its best to stop him.

You're an amazing person and you've made my job so easy by the amazing work you did as GM before me. Your's were the biggest shoes to fill and I cant possibly hope to match what you've done but I'll damn well try. You'll forever be a massive part of this team with everything you've done for us and Nero will finally be allowed to get some rest.

YKW