International Simulation Football League
*Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer (/showthread.php?tid=30168)

*Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - Tomasnz - 02-22-2021

Hi all,

Hosting a press conference to field questions on the experience of being GM for two weeks, but can happily incorporate other questions relating to SIM life. 

(Context, been around since s16 and this is my second player, I have another player on the SHL where I have held more jobs and stuff but post my IA return ISFL is transitioning to become my main focus this player.)

Questions for Tomasnz, Chet Larson, or Peter Larson will all be answered. 

Additionally there is a poll, which is the question I ask all other pressers I take part in.

(02-22-2021, 11:46 AM)Hallmonitor_20 Wrote: Why isn't French Toast in the survey? The obvious superior breakfast.

Everyone knows that polarity is key to a good poll, and everybody knows that french toast is far to universally enjoyed to usefully poll on. I like my French toast with bacon, butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Why mess with a classic.

(02-22-2021, 11:46 AM)Hallmonitor_20 Wrote: As a GM for two weeks what was the hardest part for you to manage?

Definitely the hand over, especially since I felt like we dropped the ball in terms of how we announced the new GMs to the Lockeroom and the Warrroom. I think everyone in there really gave me the support and buy in to help keep us going while we got new GMs in. But the reality was it wasn't a process that had universal buy-in from the entire team. 

The two weeks beforehand were surprisingly fun, considering it was a position I have never sought nor coverted. So great jump, fun twirl in the air, but definitely fumbled the landing. 

(02-22-2021, 11:46 AM)Hallmonitor_20 Wrote: What is the best way to mow the lawn? In stripes or circles?

The trick like all good things is to apply asset management principles to such a problem. And the idea is to have the lawn managed by the person or person most able to manage the risk of the lawn mowing, do the mowing. 

This leads me to two options, the first, outsourcing the management cause damned if I am the best person to manage my own lawn. The second is disposing of the asset (lawn) through subdivision, or "upgrading" to a paved patio. Either case removing the need for me to mow a lawn. 

Now... As to circles or stripes... I like stripes that look like a checkerboard. Circles are for Cricket grounds!

(02-22-2021, 12:27 PM)White Cornerback Wrote: Welcome to the league new guy!

Cheers.... likewise, oh wait...  Dodgy

(02-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Thor Wrote: With your brief stint as interim GM for Baltimore, what are your thoughts on becoming a full time GM at some point?
So, honestly it has never been something I have coveted. I have been a scout and a coach in war rooms and even a member of HO in another league, so I thought I had a pretty good idea about what the role was and what I would or would not get out of it. I think actually it is something that I really enjoyed, and think the shaping and setting of a team culture is something that I have some talent in and could grow into more. But also when asking interviewees for the GM gig about their long term version for the team and how they would go about securing it, I actually clicked as to how fun that could be.

BUUUUUTTT... I am a committed semi-casual league member, even if sometimes I have bursts of more activity that that. and the truth of the mater is that I definitely do not have time to be a GM if I was to do it at all well. Also I would only want to do it at the senior level(ISFL) where you are building a long term team culture and roster, juniors is fun, but the turn-over of the team and constantly needing to rebuild and re-energize and adapt would be less fun to me (although I think in all honesty being a junior GM is probably more fun and less work - or rather a different kind of work). I think from the GMs I have seen do it well, being a Senior level GM is a hell of a lot of work, both driving the culture as well as planning not just for this season but 3-4 seasons in front. To summarise that a little better, I think junior GMing is more about good coaching and working with what you have, Senior GMing is FAR more about building a team's roster and everything that comes with that, cap management, LR culture, team success, drafting, trading, etc.

TDLR: Yes I would actually love to, but no, takes too much time that I dont have.

(02-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Thor Wrote: How is Chet's career unfolding so far in your eyes?
Junior Career could not have gone better, we won a cup and I even got nominated for an award, likewise being on bondi has re-invigorated my enjoyment in sim-leagues so that was very special, Would have LOVED to have spent this season down again.
...this season... its been rough for sure. Chet's junior career was characterised by really having lot of utility to the team and that was reflected in his stats, collecting stats across the defensive spectrum. This season, its hard to say whether it is the new sim or the situation, or my particular build, or whatever, Chet seems to be more of a tackling machine now, and less of a penetrator, with very few Tackles for loss, and yet to register his first career sack! doing okay on the PD front but likewise yet to catch that first career intercept. I am hoping this is just a reflection of being a low TPE LB and that as next season appraches I am able to really shift that into gear into a new level. I am hopeful, and they definately havent started in a terrible place, I think up untill recently I was leading rookies for tackles made..

(02-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Thor Wrote: What are your personal thoughts on where Baltimore should look with what seems likely to be the first and potentially second picks of the upcoming draft?
I think from a team building point of view, the focus of the GMs needs to be on retention of the young defensive core, and in the draft for the next two seasons really smashing the Offense. As such I would love to see 4 offensive players drafted in the first two rounds with our four picks, and to your question I love the options that are available at the top of the draft in terms of being able to meet that need. there are 3-4 amazing WR options a couple of great RB options and a few good looking TE and OL pieces too all available. I suspect considering our depth chart as highlighted amazingly by @"Laser" in their recent Draft primer that Running back will be something we look to nail down with 1 or 2OA (might be 3rd OA at this stage? - maybe).

(02-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Thor Wrote: Do you feel eventually there will come a time when you need to betray your nation and change your username to Tomasuk?
generously, probably, actually, hell no. I mean who knows given what I am hoping to do I might end up having to change it to Tomasoz. I am a pround non-brit living in the UK. its a great place filled with great people (mostly), but in no way to I identify as one. the real trick is going to be stopping my boys from being A) obsessed with soccer(Football) and B) supporting the red rose.

(02-22-2021, 07:57 PM)NicholasTheGreat Wrote: Why was NTG a better GM then Thor during your time in Bondi
well, he was more present. but should we really be rewarding this bums on seat culture of the work place?
Was he more effective? or impactful than thor? actually probably yes too... but Thor is a goalie user and TE user, both like my other players , and got me on the team, hell even helped me pick my jersey number.. so lets call it a draw!

(02-23-2021, 04:59 PM)excelsior Wrote: Pies or cake? Just to rub it in Thiaths face
The best cake is better than the best pie. but because of the versatility of pies, I feel like the median pie is better than the median cake, that said bad pies are awful, while bad cake is normally still edible.
I love great cake, my favorite is Chocolate buttermilk cake, its amazing, and there is this great cafe in my hometown that just nails it to perfection.
My favourite pies are all savoury, as sweet pies and far worse than cakes generally. My favourite pie is Mince and Cheese - Kiwi and possible Ozy special, made with Mince gravy, in a flaky pastry case, with a layer of cheese atop the mince, then topped with another layer of flaky pastry, served with some tomato suace... heaven on earth... but also easy to mess up.

(02-23-2021, 04:59 PM)excelsior Wrote: What are your career goals for Chet?
Win a championship in the DSFL and ISFL (one ticked already), be nominated for an award and make the pro-bowl once (never made it to the pro-bowl with Peter Larson. You know the simple things, but also I just want to enjoy playing and see my stats go up each game, I like the linebacker position as it does tend to reward you with decent numbers each game. Being part of a Locker room that I enjoy is definately going to be part of that and I am going to try and be less passive around making sure I am happy when I am playing in this league than I was last time around. (that's not a dig at Austin, I loved it there, but it was also comfy and easy to just stay rather than testing and checking).

(02-23-2021, 04:59 PM)excelsior Wrote: When do you see Baltimore being a contender?
So I think our defense is 1 or 2 seasons away from being good enough, but that offense... wow.. I think probably 3-4 seasons from now if I am being realistic, I think we make the play-offs in 2-3 seasons, but I think our window is probably 31-34 depending on how the foundation of the rebuild goes the next couple of drafts.

(02-23-2021, 04:59 PM)excelsior Wrote: How excited are you for the future of Baltimore?
I am really excited about its potential, but I am not for a minute playing down how much work there is to do still. I think there is no reason this group can't do amazingly in the ISFL, but I think it is going to take a good amount of work to add to this group and keep it together, like all teams' challenges! but yeah looking forward to seeing how it goes and enjoying the ride for now that for sure.

@Hallmonitor_20 @Thor @NicholasTheGreat @White Cornerback @excelsior thanks for the questions! Anyone else, I'll probably keep this open one more day or so. But my guess is it is probably done :-)

Oh yeah, the Pancake vs Waffles poll!

Well with 9 votes in (I know who you are so thanks!) we have Pancakes edging out Waffles.
For me this feels right, with Pancakes being my personal favourite food. BUT I also love waffles when they combine sweet and savoury, there is an amazing place in london where you can get a waffle with a coffi-duck leg, with a fried duck egg on top of that, covered with mustard-mapple syrup... is phemonmenal!
But pancakes are what my dad taught me to make and what I make my boys every weekend, so they are no.1 in my heart.

RE: Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - Hallmonitor_20 - 02-22-2021

Why isn't French Toast in the survey? The obvious superior breakfast.

As a GM for two weeks what was the hardest part for you to manage?

What is the best way to mow the lawn? In stripes or circles?

RE: Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - White Cornerback - 02-22-2021

Welcome to the league new guy!

RE: Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - Thor - 02-22-2021

With your brief stint as interim GM for Baltimore, what are your thoughts on becoming a full time GM at some point?

How is Chet's career unfolding so far in your eyes?

What are your personal thoughts on where Baltimore should look with what seems likely to be the first and potentially second picks of the upcoming draft?

Do you feel eventually there will come a time when you need to betray your nation and change your username to Tomasuk?

RE: Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - NicholasTheGreat - 02-22-2021

Why was NTG a better GM then Thor during ypur time in Bondi

RE: Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - excelsior - 02-23-2021

Pies or cake? Just to rub it in Thiaths face

What are your career goals for Chet?

When do you see Baltimore being a contender?

How excited are you for the future of Baltimore?

RE: Presser with Tomasnz, ISFL and SIM leaguer - Tomasnz - 02-27-2021

Done to here, happy to answer more if asked in the next day, but I am assuming this is done @graders this is clocking in at just shy of 2k worlds I think including the quote bubbles.