International Simulation Football League
*S28 Draft Primer - NSFC Edition - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S28 Draft Primer - NSFC Edition (/showthread.php?tid=30291)

*S28 Draft Primer - NSFC Edition - .Laser - 02-26-2021

Below is the overview of what I did that I was already paid for in the ASFC version of this article that I posted late last night/early yesterday morning depending on where you live. I'm putting it in code so I don't get paid for it again.
Code:
So, this is a draft primer, but it's also what amounts to my guess at S28 roster construction as well. Below are several categories, which I will put synopses of below to give overviews of.

Upcoming FAs: (essentially who the team is losing; not limited to FAs)
Pipeline: (Not sure the best way to state this so pipeline it is, but these are all players a team has under contract that are currently in the DSFL.)
Projected Cap: (How much I THINK each team will have in cap going into next seasons based on estimated roster moves. These numbers will likely look wildly different as some wildcards appear or MOs are used but it's as close as I can get as of 9:15pm EST Wednesday night. The Estimated Cap equation as I'm calling it is as follows to see easy math: (equation: starting (x) - re-signings (S) - OL bots (O)).
The Facts: (what a team's roster currently looks like, including rough TPE estimates as of the Saturday's update and guesses at call-ups and extensions or re-signings)
Positions of Need: (What positions are most in need of replacing based on regression season, TPE levels, and activity levels, and why I'm doing these to begin with, to help with my mock draft coming next week)

Next, I want to put this section in another part of code, because it is a different sentiment in a way.

Code:
All of these are for every team and are done based on what I think is most likely while also keeping the team together. As I mentioned, there may be free agents who decide to sign elsewhere, there may be trades that send people to different places, there may be players that take their options and sign elsewhere. It's not an exact thing but an estimate. Another thing to notice is that in every case of an extension or re-signing, I will be using the minimum salary as a baseline. I understand there is discussion around minimums these days, but it's impossible for me to know the personality of everyone in the league, so using TPE or estimated TPE in case of actives is the easiest way for me to judge what a team can and cannot afford.

Below is the evidently highly-anticipated NSFC version, in alphabetical order as last time!

BAL BALTIMORE HAWKS BAL
Upcoming FAs QB Luke Skywalker (IA), RB King Tutankhamun (IA), RB Mathias Hanyadi (ret.), TE Donatello Arriabata (IA), DT Nuniq Annastesia, LB Spike Suzuki (IA?), LB Dexter Jackson (IA), S Iheart Syracuse (ret.), K/P Datsum Phastbawls (IA)
Pipeline: S26 S Caven McRae (440), S27 RB Preston Parker (349), S27 CB Lawrence Miller (302+), S27 K/P Armando Galarraga (145)
Projected Cap: $10,500,000. ($50m - ($4m+$1m+$2m+$1m+$2m+$2m+$4m+$4m+$1m+$1m-$5m) - ($22.5m))
Drafting Philosophy: Frick and Hall are too new of a combo to know exact drafting tendencies. Based on their previous tenures, they will be a healthy balance of recreates and newer users, tending to go heavy on recreates this season as part of the rebuild.
The Facts:
Baltimore is in rebuild and they have accepted and accelerated that. Yeboah, Archstone, Lewandowski, Fujiwara, and Campbell were all traded away for picks and in some places a replacement. That brings us to the player Fujiwara was swapped for, the inactive Luke Skywalker. He is on the last season of his contract so he will need to be extended, but he is at 917 TPE, which is good enough to not completely throw games but also not good enough to be competitive, which I think is good for Baltimore. They can win some games now and then but not hurt themselves and win too much. At RB, they are going to be decimated by the end of the season. 900 Mai Fukushu will not be on the team next season via MO. It will get exercised one way or another. 606 Mathias Hanyadi is retired and on his way to the Hall of Fame, and 212 King Tutankhamun has been IA for quite some time and is currently being played at TE. He is on an expiring contract and will almost definitely not be back on the team. Instead, 350 Preston Parker will be called up to fill the void, along with Busch Goose. That’s right, I am predicting that Busch Goose will be the 2nd overall selection in the S28 draft and will immediately come up for Baltimore. He fills the second RB spot and will be relied on a lot more which will meet the demands set forth by Goose of his ISFL team. He is the richest player in the league so will take a $1m minimum. Moving on to the WR spot, we have 600 Korbin Brown and 550 Mario Messi available as targets. With no WR in the pipeline, I’m making another early draft prediction: wideout Luke Quick will be the first overall pick. He ranks 4th in money in the league, so like Goose will be taking the $1m minimum. I have him over Goose just because Quick also went at the top in the DSFL draft and I think Baltimore will let him take the double double. At TE, they have the pending IA free agent Donatello Arriabata, who I believe will be retained at $1m and 369. And the offensive line will be completely manned by bots barring a free agent acquisition, totaling $22.5m. On defense, lineman 547 Nuniq Annastasia is the only pending free agent and also the only DT on the roster. I’m not sure what their plans are but for the sake of the article we will assume that they stay with the team on a $2m price tag. Their 3 DEs are 750 Mike Karpaasi, 600 Etrigan T. Slayer, and 400 Maui Waialiki. Baltimore carries four linebackers, with only 336 Dexter Jackson currently set to become a free agent. Ordinarily I would say that he would be without a team next season, but considering there is a chance he could come back at some point and that 454 Spike Suzuki will regress to about that level next offseason, I think that Jackson will stick around on a $1m deal. The other 2 LBs are 530 A.J. Lucas and 450 Chet Larson. At corner, which is the team’s strong point, 437 Dermot Lavelle Jr. will be gone soon to death by retirement but will stay on another season, and CB Lawrence Miller is waiting in the wings to take over. He’s around 300 at the moment but appears to have been earning, just not updating, so there’s no telling what he’s really at. CB1 is Eldrick Avery, 1050+, and he is bookended by the 800 Ben Stackinpaper. At safety, 674 Iheart Syracuse, a distant cousin of ILove Gimmy, who is a cousin twice removed of Gimmy Jarroppolo Jr., will retire at the end of the season. Jeremiah Zelos sits is around 570 at the second spot. Caven McRae, the 440 S26 safety, will be taking over for Syracuse in S28 at a $4m contract level. And lastly, Datsum PhastBawls will be extended at kicker for $2m. This leaves $10.5m to spend on free agents or updated bots or even to call up some other new draftees besides the one-two combo of Quick and Goose. They could also opt for the $2m bots rather than the $4.5m bots and save themselves another $12.5m for a total of $23m, but I really don’t know what they would do with all that.
Positions of Need: RB, WR, DT, TE
Surprisingly to some, this team is not in awful shape. They are going to be hurting for RB, as they will only have one, and that is why I am projecting Busch Goose to go second overall and fill that hole as an immediate callup. They also need another wideout, fielding 2 in the ISFL doesn’t seem to be working well for those doing it. Hence the first overall pick of Luke Quick and his immediate callup as well. At DT, they only have one on the team, and while that would ordinarily not be a problem considering they have 3 DEs, the new sim likes when people play at their natural positions, so they should really either have one of their current guys swap or draft another one to play at their true spot. I have also heard rumblings that Annastasia may be testing the market, and if so, a DT absolutely must be had. At TE, Arrabiata is serviceable enough for now, but drafting a TE here would mean Arrabiata can be left behind in S29, or even left off the team in S28 favoring an immediate TE callup. As for QB, I stated that I would mention any S22 QB as needing replaced, but new GM Gimmy Jarropolo Jr. will be autodrafted to the team next season, so that’s been taken care of already.

BER BERLIN FIRE SALAMANDERS BER
Upcoming FAs WR Susan Cash Jr. (IA), DE Mario VonPebbles, CB Matt Krause, CB Asher Quinn (ret.), S Benoit Blanco (ret.)
Pipeline: S26 WR Schumi Hulkenvettel (320), S27 DT Marlon Brando (379)
Projected Cap: $9,000,000. ($32m - ($3m+$5m+$5m+$1m) - ($9m)) Starting with $32m in cap, I foresee an extension for both VonPebbles and Krause for at least $5m each, and a probably IA extension for $3m in Cash Jr. Brando is likely called up, adding another $1m. Add in 2 OL bots, and you’re sitting on a decent chunk of change still.
Drafting Philosophy: Personal connection. High and DeWalt don’t have a preference for recreate or new user, they just draft who they think will fit their locker room.
The Facts:
Berlin is gonna be a force next season, I can tell you that right now. QB Nick Kaepercolin will be entering his prime season, currently at 1300. RBs Joseph Petrongolo, 1030, and Terry Yaki, 450, are more than serviceable, and Petrongolo is one of the top rushers in the league. At wideout, Achtfunf leads the core with 900 and Cmon Skiuuup is close behind with 730. Susan Cash Jr. sits in the WR3 spot and has an expiring contract, however the only WR in the pipeline for Berlin is Hulkenvettel, who is doubtful to replace someone double his TPE. Cash Jr. will get an IA extension of $3m. Clark Boyd has become a household name at the TE spot with 1075. 3 Fire Salamanders protect the wall of the offensive line, with 600 Taylor Cooper, 600 Ananda Adyan, and 820 Byron Dolls fighting in the trenches alongside two OL bots. On the DL, there are somewhat confusingly only 3 members. DE Mario VonPebbles was re-signed to a $5m deal shortly after the beginning of progress on this article. They have strong DTs in 970 Claude Miller II and 860 Hank Steel. I don’t know what they’re doing for the 4th DL spot this season, but next season I have little doubt that Marlon Brando, 400, will pop up into a starting spot from the pipeline, costing $1m. Berlin also sports three linebackers. 950 Adam Schell highlights the group, with up and coming youngster BamBam McMullet rising fast at 620. In the secondary, we see somewhat surprisingly 7 total members. The 4 CBs are the recently retired Asher Quinn, 700, along with Swantavius Jones at 770 and Jeeeeroy Lenkins at 730. Matt Krause is the CB1 with 1150. At safety, 3 are currently rostered but have also been hit by the retirement of 467 Benoit Blanco. 505 young gun Derek Wildstar and 410 Quentin Button remain on the back lines. The kicker is 563 Danny King. This team will also be sitting at $9m in cap, meaning that they can bring in an 800-1000 player at a lower quality position, upgrade both bots to T4, and still be dead on cap. Or they can bring in a ton of TPE if they can nab a 1000+ along with that 800-1000. A lot of options for the team.
Positions of Need: S, QB, K/P, OL
Each of these is not really a need. Berlin is built extremely well, and even their players who have but one season to regression are all at a point where they can easily play at least one and in most cases two or more seasons into TPE theft. However, at safety, Quentin Button is not around much anymore, and getting a top earner in this draft could see a callup in S29. Quarterback is in fact not the last need for a team in this instance, as King does need to be replaced but not until the S29 draft most likely. Depending on kicker quality between the two drafts we could see them pick one up this season to stash for a bit. Kaepercolin is an S22 player and so has one more season to regression. They are the second best team suited to take a QB thus far, behind SJS. The OL is not in need of replacement, but until you have 5, I’m gonna say you should take one to offset the cost of bots. It’s smart football.

CHI CHICAGO BUTCHERS CHI
Upcoming FAs RB Julio Tirtawidjaja, RB Zed Keppler (IA), WR Sean O’Leary, OL Perry Tucker Jr. (IA), OL Benson Bayley Jr. (ret.), OL Givussafare Rubbe, LB Mike Hockhertz (ret.), LB Alexandro Chainbreaker, CB Tyler Oles Jr. (ret.), S Hamish McAndrew,
Pipeline: S26 S Evan Jones (422), S27 CB HeHateMe PickSix II (407), S27 LB Devonte Crook (358), S27 WR Mike Hunt (324), S27 RB Madison Hayes (374)
Projected Cap: $1,000,000. ($29m - ($3m+$2m+$4m+$1m+$2m+$3m+$5m+$4m+$4m-$1m) - (0)) Starting with $32m, for sure extension is Shields at $5m. I’d wager that extensions for Gelbman (whose contract has already been posted), Riposte, Rubbe, Sidekick, McAndrew, and O’Leary, and Chainbreaker are all likely and all probably minimums. That’s a total of $23m, after estimating some regressions. I would also expect Hayes to be called up, adding $1m and leaving $3m. Chicago does now need an OL bot, so that’s $4.5m.
Drafting Philosophy: New user based. Not adverse to recreates but definitely enjoy bringing new players in. Also loyal to former players.
The Facts:
This is a team that is reaching it’s peak, with high TPE players all over the place. That also means expensive contracts though. At QB, George O’Donnell sits just under 1300 but will regress to 1000 this offseason. RB holds 3 members currently for Chicago, and 1000 Baby Yoda leads the way. He will regress to 800 in the offseason. Julio Tirtawidjaja, 700, is the option at RB they will keep for $3m, while IA 416 Zed Keppler will walk in free agency. WR is headlined by 1000 Luca Scabbia, who plays alongside recent acquisition from Baltimore Joshua Campbell, 780. Actually, now that I look at it, that trade was illegal and shouldn’t have been processed. Campbell had an NTC and did not publicly approve the trade in the thread, which should have stopped it from going through. Either way, Sean O’Leary, 770, is a lifetime butcher who is now deep into regression, and will probably join the team for one more season at 400 and command $2m. Tight end Tree Gelbman has already signed a new contract for $4m effective after regression, and will start S28 at around 830. On the offensive line, Benson Bayley Jr. just retired, eliminating a $5m cap hit. Didn’t even hit regression. The recently extended 800 Icebox Riposte joins 1000 Julio Jones alongside 500 Alexander Franklin. Givussafare Rubbe will drop to just under 400 and re-up for the $2m standard, which takes care of 4 OL for Chicago. Perry Tucker Jr. is currently on the team at 325 and can be extended, however will lose 65 in regression and drop to 280. I think Chicago will be forced to re-sign him for $1m, as they can’t afford an OL bot better than 350 and the experience of having a human OL outweighs that 70 TPE difference. So no OL bots for Chicago. On the opposite side of the trenches are a trio of 1000+ heavyweights, in DT Draymond Brooks, DE Von Hayes, and DT John Smirh, who will regress to a tad over 800. The 4th DL member is a DT, Chicago electing to not run the 2 and 2 strategy. Timmy Dimbi sits at 550. 4 linebackers are on the roster now, although 409 Mike Hockhertz has announced this will be his final season. Alexandro Chainbreaker is becoming a free agent but will be re-signed for $3m. The other two middlemen of the defense are 1000 Juan Domine and 700 Wasrabi Gleel. At CB, Tyler Oles Jr. has just retired, taking a potential $5m check off the books. He leaves 1100 Tyron Shields, who has already been extended for $5m, and 1200 Osiris Firestorm-Fjord in his wake. Osiris will however regress to just under 1000, and has an option. He will likely exercise it and re-sign for $4m, taking a mil off the books. The safety position sees a 3-man army of 500 Oliver Sloan, 720 Damien Blackfyre, and the pending free agent Hamish MacAndrew. He will likely be re-upped for $4m. Lastly, but not least, K/P Sam Sidekick is among the best in the league and has already been extended for $4m. Now, Chicago does have $2m of cap space left, and they have several players they could call up. They may choose to bring PickSix II into the mix at CB, or put Crook in the linebacker corps, dropping them to $888,889. They also have the option of pulling up two of Evan Jones, Madison Hayes, and Mike Hunt, who are S, RB, WR respectively. They may also just save it and be happy with what they have. It’s hard to say what they do, but they have a deep talent pool that it seems they won’t be able to make much of at least this season.
Positions of Need: OL, DE, TE, QB
This is a well rounded team that has not regressed into truly needing anything quite yet. Their biggest advantage would be picking up another user OL to keep them as the only fully human offensive line in the league, and I can see them picking up a defensive end as well, with there only being one on the current roster. RB, WR, CB already have succession plans in place. TE could be classified as a need, but Gelbman will be good for another 2 seasons and so drafting one this season could be premature depending on Tree’s plans. Lastly, QB. O’Donnell is one of the older starters, and is going to drop below 1000 this offseason. Oles has created an S29 QB that is widely assumed to be the replacement for old George, but until he’s officially on the team I’m still treating it as a need, just lower priority than I normally would.

COL COLORADO YETI COL
Upcoming FAs RB Anders Christiansen, DT Big Edd, DE Tycker Om, CB Randy Vuxta (ret.), DE Arlington Heights (ret.)
Pipeline: S27 S SparkySparky Boom-man (398)
Projected Cap: $2,500,000. ($22m - ($1m+$1m+$4m+$2m) - ($9m))Beginning with $20m, I expect Om to be IA extended at $2m and Edd to be gone. I also expect either a Christiansen extension or the callup of Drip Dad. One would cost $2m and the other $1m, so I’m splitting the difference and calling that $1.5m. I also expect a post-regression extension for Vuxta for $3m. Boom-man will also likely be called up, adding $2m to the total. $9m for bots gives us our total.
Drafting Philosophy: Anything goes. These guys don’t have a preference on who joins. If you fit with them then they welcome you with open arms.
The Facts:
Colorado’s young QB is Mathias Caliban, currently pushing 1000. His support staff includes RB Richard Gilbert, 1150, and 450 Anders Christiansen, whose contract is expiring. He could get an extension for $2m, but Drip Dad is down in the DSFL with 300, and I think that they will instead choose to call him up for $1m instead. Wideouts include 1250 William Lim, 950 Leeroy Jenkins, and 540 Ralph Delacour. Caliban’s Crew is rounded out by tight end Frank Mitchell, at 350. The big boys are 500 Dick Thruster, 900 Mo “Mamba” Magic, and 1050 Greedy Sly, meaning Colorado requires 2 OL bots for $9m. Big Edd is the only DT currently on the roster, and he will most likely be leaving the team and going elsewhere this offseason, having at one point expressed an interest in playing for every team possible. He leaves 3 DEs in his wake, headlined by 1450 Immanuel Blackstone, who will regress to 1200-ish in the offseason. Next is Tycker Om, who is on an expiring contract but will certainly be getting an extension for $1m considering 400 Arlington Heights has just retired. That leaves at least one hole in the Yeti defensive line, and perhaps two if Edd does in fact find greener pastures, which I kind of doubt. In fact, I believe that Edd will either end up coming back to the team or retiring, so I am going to go ahead and mark him as a $4m extension. Either way, the Yeti need a DT bad. At linebacker, they field 1150 Adelie de Pengu, 950 Melvin Murder Moose, and 750 Rusty Rucker. Quite the zoo. Cornerbacks Albert Ruschmann, 770, and Redbeard McFredbeard, 425, are the returning options. Randy Vuxta has retired and will no longer be in the league. 870 Joel Drake and 730 NationalSimulation FootballLeague are the two safeties currently on the roster, but they will be supplemented with the lovable SparkySparky Boom-man this upcoming season, who sits at 400 and carries a $2m hit. Next is kicker Silver Banana, who is currently 650 but will be regressing to just under 500. This leaves a $5m margin for Colorado and a hole at DT. They could also have $9m and two holes at DT. I see no other immediate way to fill those two holes other than the draft, barring position switches of some kind. I don’t think they have anyone in a position that could switch to DE however, and the only DSFL DT is Henrick von Pigeon, whose TPE is not even listed in the tracker.
Positions of Need: DT, DT, K/P, DE
I sure did list DT twice, because they need two. Regardless of whether or not Edd stays with the team this season, DT will be at the top of the priority list for the Yeti, and Edd will likely only stay one more season if he does stick around. That makes two openings at the position, only one of them is pressing though. For K, Banana has this season, then will take a 40% hit, which will result in dropping to 360 for S29 assuming he gains 100 this season. He’s close to the end of his lifespan and getting a kicker in either this draft or next will be essential. Lastly, we have DE. Immanuel Blackstone is the oldest non-kicker on the roster, and while he is regressing he’s also firmly in the top earners of all time. I expect Colorado to wait at least two seasons before drafting a successor, but as he is in regression and nobody knows plans after regression starts, we’ll add it to the list.

PHI PHILADELPHIA LIBERTY PHI
Upcoming FAs QB Brock Phoenix (ret.), RB Sam Torenson (ret.), TE Dave Batista (ret.), OL Macaroni Elephant (IA), OL Simon Tremblay (post-regression contract posted), DT Brent Silva, DE Sam Roes, LB Inspectah Deck (IA), CB Atlas Quin (IA), L’Carpetron Dookmarriot (IA)
Pipeline: S26 QB Ryan Negs (520), S27 RB Xander Creed (355), S27 WR Tsuyu Asui (398), S27 TE Borgo San Lorenzo (373)
Projected Cap: $5,500,000. ($33.5m - ($1m+$2m+$1m+$3m+$2m+$1m+$1m+$1m+$2.5m) - ($13.5m))
Drafting Philosophy: Team Fit. They will take anyone that fits the locker room and work out how to fit them in as they can. They care about the community and that is one of their biggest strengths.
The Facts:
Philadelphia is going to be struggling for a while. They are calling up rookie QB 540 Ryan Negs to replace the retired Brock Phoenix, which will be a cap hit of $1m. Negs will start as the lowest TPE QB in the league, but will have a long career and may end up being one of the all-time greats. His RBs are 350 Sam Torenson, who will end up retired this offseason after not being able to survive regression, 571 Fuzzy Dotson, who will drop to the 275 range, and 1150 Darrell Williams, who is on the biggest contract in the league right now. They do have Xander Creed down in the DSFL at 355, and he is a possibility for a callup, especially if Dotson decides to retire before next season. Let’s wait to see what their cap looks like before we say for sure though. Only two WR are on the roster, the 1030 Flash Panda who will regress to the 810s accompanies up and coming superstar Killian Chambers with 750. 420 Tsuyu Asui is also in the DSFL, but much like Creed, let’s wait and see where we’re at with the cap before we decide what happens with that $2.5m cap hit. At TE, Dave Bautista has retired, and Avon Blocksdale Jr. is going to get smacked from 435 to mid 200s by regression. I don’t know if Blocksdale will retire, but I am almost certain that Borgo San Lorenzo, 400, will be called up to help supplement Avon if he sticks around. That will cost Philly $2m. On the o-line, Simon Trembley strikes regression and will drop from 840 to just under 700, while opposing tackle Macaroni Elephant remains inactive and will be extended on an IA contract for $1m. Tremblay is also on an expiring contract, but has already had his extension posted and it will be processed after regression. On the other side of the line, 700 Honky-Tonk Haywood will line up next to 380 Brent Silva, who seems to be active and earning just hasn’t applied any in a while, on the interior of the line. Silva will get extended, likely at the $2m level thanks to his unclaimed TPE. On the outside, Tex Wrecks sits around 750 and earns steadily. Sam Roes, 390, and Lax Dreyar, 311, are the other two DE on the roster. Dreyar is earning slowly but steadily while Roes has been inactive for three months now. Roes’ contract is expiring, and I think that Philadelphia will take the million they could use on Roes and give it to another player. The Liberty currently have 4 LB on the roster, but inactive Inspectah Deck will certainly not be returning. With 352 and losing about 90 of it to regression, he’ll be worse than a capped DSFL linebacker. The three remaining LB are the 750 Gary Goodman, 730 Jimi DeSoto, and 535 Thomas Rose. A solid squad still growing. The corner spots are filled by 770 Doy Fieri, 450 James Hoffman, and 490 Atlas Quin. However, Atlas Quin is not only going to be regressing to 390ish, he is also a free agent. I think that Philly will likely keep Quin around for one more season, which would be a $1m price tag, but CB should be their number one target in the draft. The safeties are L’Carpetron Dookmarriot, 395, and Matt “Son of Havoc” Cross, 1130. Dookmarriot is a free agent, but as with Quin, Philly has no active CB or S in the pipeline so he will get another season at $1m. The kicker is Jake Fencik, the 670 rising young star. Now we can revisit the callups of Creed and Asui, and with $9m left over before adding them, I can’t think of a good reason for them to stay down. They might not get a ton of usage this first season but they’ll be with their team and having fun. We’ll add their combined cap hit of $3.5m to the total.
Positions of Need: CB, S, DL
The top need for Philadelphia is cornerback. Safety is also not in great shape, however the low safety has one more season before regression and the low corner is already there. In addition, safety has the rockstar Matt Cross ready to pick up any slack, while Doy Fieri is a growing legend and James Hoffman seems to have fallen off a bit. Targeting a CB, then a S, then another CB would not be out of the question here. As for DL, they technically don’t need one. The oldest player is S25, but two of the players are not earning fantastically, or at least not updating as often. Targeting either the DE or DT spot in a later round to get a good earner may be a smart move for the Liberty, but CB and S definitely need to get addressed first. I could also argue that they could get a TE for instant callup, but if they do want to play two TEs then an inactive would probably fit the timeline of the team better, allowing them to draft one of the promising S29 TEs. 

SAR SARASOTA SAILFISH SAR
Upcoming FAs WR Michael Witheblock, WR Jacoby Clay, TE Cleg Manclaw, OL Clay Stallworth, S Jamie Nkiah (ret.)
Pipeline: S26 QB Lebron James III (471), S27 RB Giovani Bianchi (312), S27 WR Joseph Radetzky (353)
Projected Cap: $1,000,000. ($22 - ($5m+$1m+$2m+$1m+$1m) - ($11m)
Drafting Philosophy: Locker room presence is a big part of what Sarasota looks for, and they never give up hope on any user.

The Facts:
This team should be interesting from a quick glance. We start with young QB Mike Boss Jr., who is at 950 and is still growing. There are 3 at the RB position, including Raphtalia Chan who has just taken 1st all time in TPE with 1511 for now. He is joined in the backfield by Running Back at 415 and Sigismund Sternenstaub at 342. They carry 2 good WR currently, namely 830 Tre’Darius J’Vathon and Michael Witheblock with 1300. The last WR is Jacoby Clay, who is deep into regression and will either be autoretired or close to it this offseason. Witheblock and Clay are both free agents, but as Witheblock is the GM he is guaranteed to be back on a $5m per season deal. Clay will not be retained and will be sent to free agency, and instead Sarasota will call up Joseph Radetzky at a $2m hit. At TE, 334 IA Cleg Manclaw will be headed to free agency as his contract is up. James Angler will stay on as a 1250 TE who will be in his prime. On the offensive line Clay Stallworth sits at 333 and his counterpart Thad Pennington Jr. sits at 399. Stallworth is a FA, but I expect he will be re-signed for $1m. Jumping to the other line, I see another 3-1 split between positions. DT Fawn Dillmiballs has acquired 1150 and sits alone. The DE triangle includes 1100 Son Goku, 630 Ernest Lover, and 575 Demon Jaxson. Sarasota surprisingly only carries two linebackers, those being Derred de Ville at 1130 and Haha Mango-Panda at 1175. Both will be in their prime next season. The two CBs are both very strong yet also young earners in 780 Peter Patterson and 960 Harrison Andrews. At safety, veteran Jamie Nkiah retired at 1091 TPE, and would have regressed to mid 700s. 1300 Cuco Clemente is the veteran of the secondary now and Teddy Utterstruzen is at 630. You will notice here that Sarasota is missing a secondary player and a linebacker. Before I address that, the kicker is Jacob Small, at 950 and doing pretty well as far as I know. Now, as for the three roster holes Sarasota has (we’re not counting that second TE spot) we have already filled the WR spot with Radetzsky. We now have an LB spot that needs filled as well as a CB or S. They do have a linebacker in the system, but he has 109 and is inactive. The only active player in the DSFL other than Joseph is Giovanni Bianchi, at 320. Sarasota can fill a hole in the draft, and they will, but assuming that Bianchi approves, I think that he should be converted to safety and put in the nickel back spot. This leaves (spoiler alert) linebacker as the top priority for the Sailfish. Why put Bianchi at S instead of CB or LB? Well, LB is going to be easier to have a 250 player at than either CB or S. LB 3 will get less playing time than a NB/CB3/S3 and so will have less effect on the outcome of games. Now, it is worth noting that after these call-ups, Sarasota will be $1.5m over the cap. To fix that, they will need to drop an OL bot from T3 to T2. It won’t hurt them terribly and will allow them to fill all the holes. They could also potentially trade for cap space since they don’t really have enough needs to use all their draft picks and keep all bots at tier 3 but I won’t pretend to know how a trade like that would work when all I’m doing is guessing.
Positions of Need: LB, OL
Sarasota really only needs three things: a linebacker, some cap, and an OL or two. The linebacker is the top need as they need to pull him up to fill the final hole. The cap is to help pay for all those holes. The OL is to help offset the cost of bots and they do need more than 400 in a human OL as well. I could say much more but I've really gone over most of it already up above.

YKW YELLOWKNIFE WRAITHS YKW
Upcoming FAs RB Jameson Vermillion, RB Acura Skyline (IA), OL Douglas Quail, OL Maurice Virtanen (ret.), DE Nero Alexander (ret.), LB Mack Arianlacher, CB Mervin Leonard (ret.)
Pipeline: S25 LB Donald McBobby (429), S27 CB Kita Chiasa (323)
Projected Cap: $500,000. ($24m - ($2m+$4m+$1m+$2m+$1m-$1m+$1m) - ($13.5m))Vermillion and Skyline both figure to be back, and Arianlacher will likely be replaced by McBobby. Quail may come back, but is in regression and will be below 300 TPE, so we’ll say he’s left behind. Chiasa is also likely called up to replace Leonard. All those transactions total $10m, and the 4 OL bots they need would be $18m.
Drafting Philosophy: Yellowknife likes to draft users invested in the league who will be a good connected locker room.
The Facts:
Yellowknife has former MVP Colby Jack leading the team towards a title, with 1330 and growing every day. Both of the team’s RBs are unfortunately inactive, however one left with 950, Acura Skyline, and the other, Jameson Vermillion, has 598. There is hope that he will come back but 598 is the perfect point to go IA for the team’s cap. Skyline will be re-signed as an IA for $4m and Vermillion also IA for $2m. At WR, Kai Sakura is the top option with 1140, and has a strong group behind him. Mark Walker sits at 750, Dre Matthews at 600, and lastly Arthur Naught at 373, who unfortunately went IA pretty early in his career. Naught has an option on his contract, and I believe that YKW will have to exercise that MO to free up an extra $1m in cap space to allow them to call up a draftee that they will need immediately. More on that shortly. At TE, Zee Rechs is entering some of his best seasons at 1000. The offensive linemen are Maurice Virtanen, the wonderful Murtsi, who retired this past week. Bruce Buckley is also on the line with 1150, and the second human on the team for S28 will be Douglas Quail, who will regress to 320, but he has an advantage as a human and the team cannot afford another bot. Quail will be re-signed for $1m. On the D-line, Patrik Money will have his best season next year, currently at 1250. His DT compatriot Nero Alexander has retired due to age, and will be off the team next season. Yellowknife will need to draft and immediately call up a defensive tackle, and they’re gonna have to take the $1m minimum. At the ends, James Cho sits at 950 and Leonard Taylor at 550. The linebacker corps includes Douglas Quaid, who will regress to about 1170, and Big Slammu at 560. They also have Lord Macharius, the heavily regressing 432 IA player, but he will be allowed to walk in free agency thanks to the option in the DSFL, Donald McBobby. The 429 McBobby will need to be extended and doesn’t seem to be active, but he provides an immediate stopgap to replace Macharius almost exactly. He should be able to unbank as he is in other sim leagues. Moving to CB, Wraith legend Mervin Leonard has retired, meaning that last season’s pick Kita Chiasa will get the call to play NB while 770 Djibutee McJimmerson and 780 Dan Foster hold up the outside spots. At the back of the secondary Johnny Hellzapoppin and Magnus Valdyr have 1040 and 970 respectively. And, last but not least, kicker Blago Kokot has amassed 700.
Positions of Need: DT, OL, QB
As I mentioned above, Yellowknife absolutely has to take a DT this draft. They don’t have another option unless they sign a $1m inactive player, and an active is always preferable to an inactive. However, they also almost need to get a QB this draft. The more I think about it the more I realize that YKW, NOLA, and SJS are the only ones without succession plans, and while BER can draft one as well those 3 are the big players for their choice of Clarke, Raske, Zaylren, and ReallyInvisible. How far any of those 3-4 teams will go to grab one of them will be interesting. Lastly, Yellowknife needs to pick up some offensive linemen to help offset bot costs. This time it isn’t a should, but more of a need overall.

Overall, this has been an awesome look into each team. I probably tried to do it too fast and should have put more thought into it, but it was quite fun! I also feel much more prepared to put out the first edition of my mock draft early next week, so if you or someone you know has any information about who your team may be looking to draft or you have any info on what team you expect to take you, please reach out and let me know! I'll be putting out a 2-round mock first then a 1-round as the time draws nearer.

As last time, if there are any re-signings or trades that I missed or anything that I got completely wrong, my apologies. I pulled the budget sheet at about 1pm Thursday afternoon so anything after that I may have missed.

Lastly, look out for a joint project from me and a group of other users about GM rankings in the works as well! That one will probably take more like a week or two, but I am looking forward to it.

Code:
around 6300 this time

RE: S28 Draft Primer - NSFC Edition - Big Edd - 02-26-2021

lol >Smile

RE: S28 Draft Primer - NSFC Edition - manicmav36 - 02-26-2021

I love this article so much, great in-depth look. Way better than the one for the stinky ASFC. Mainly because, you know, they're stinky.

RE: S28 Draft Primer - NSFC Edition - Pat - 02-26-2021

These articles are great. Also, thanks for all the nice words about the players in Philly! Big Grin