International Simulation Football League
*NSFC Playoff Machine - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NSFC Playoff Machine (/showthread.php?tid=30366)

*NSFC Playoff Machine - slate - 03-02-2021

I spent much of my morning today testing out different playoff scenarios in the sim and have come to the same conclusions as @infinitempg posted in his great article earlier today. Sadly he beat me to the punch in describing the scenarios, so I bring instead a playoff machine that you can use to evaluate the likelihood of different playoff scenarios unfolding:

It should hopefully be fairly self explanatory to use. On the "Machine" page, simply change the listed probabilities for each team to win their Week 16 games and the Playoff Scenarios table will automatically spit out the estimated probabilities of each team's playoff seed. If you want to see a specific playoff scenario (i.e. what happens if Colorado beats Honolulu), you can set that cell to 100 or 0 to guarantee a win or loss for that team, respectively.

NOTE: It needs to generate 4000 random numbers and do some computation in order to estimate the probabilities, so it may take a little bit to load after the game probabilities are changed.

I have made the game probability cells publicly editable, so feel free to play with it directly - I don't think you'll be able to break something. If you're looking at it soon after this article is posted and don't want to fight with a bunch of other random users over it, make a copy yourself to play with.

Another quick note is that I assumed equal probability for each team winning a points for tiebreaker in this spreadsheet, since trying to incorporate that on top of everything seemed too complex. This means that Sarasota's probability of winning a tiebreak against Chicago (for the 1st seed) or Colorado (for the 3rd seed) is likely underestimated, since they are currently leading the PF tiebreak by fairly healthy margins against both teams.

Finally, to provide a little bit of content that doesn't require messing around with a spreadsheet to get, I put in what I thought were fairly reasonable probabilities for the Week 16 games and got the following outcomes:

- CHI 95% to beat BAL
- YKW 60% to beat PHI
- COL 45% to beat HON
- SAR 70% to beat BER

CHI Chicago
1st Seed: 64.4%
2nd Seed: 35.4%
3rd Seed: 0.2%
Out of Playoffs: 0.0%

SAR Sarasota
1st Seed: 35.6%
2nd Seed: 41.8%
3rd Seed: 17.8%
Out of Playoffs: 4.8%

YKW Yellowknife
1st Seed: 0.0%
2nd Seed: 19.6%
3rd Seed: 61.6%
Out of Playoffs: 18.8%

COL Colorado
1st Seed: 0.0%
2nd Seed: 3.1%
3rd Seed: 20.4%
Out of Playoffs: 76.4%

I hope you find the machine useful and enjoyable, and good luck to everyone on making the playoffs!

RE: NSFC Playoff Machine - zaynzk - 03-02-2021

[Image: image0.png]

RE: NSFC Playoff Machine - dogwoodmaple - 03-02-2021

Can't wait to see how the Silverbacks do in the ASFC version!

RE: NSFC Playoff Machine - Pat - 03-02-2021

Machine is broken. It doesn't give odds for Philadelphia nor Baltimore. Shoddy piece of Slate-made junk.

RE: NSFC Playoff Machine - slate - 03-02-2021

Thanks to @Modern_Duke providing the latest matchup win probabilities from his Elo model, I get the following "best guess" results:

Chicago 88% to beat Baltimore
Yellowknife 74% to beat Philadelphia
Colorado 46% to beat Honolulu
Sarasota 71% to beat Berlin

CHI Chicago
59.2% 1st Seed
40.2% 2nd Seed
0.7% 3rd Seed
0.0% Out of Playoffs

SAR Sarasota
40.7% 1st Seed
36.7% 2nd Seed