International Simulation Football League
*Ranking the Scouts... - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Ranking the Scouts... (/showthread.php?tid=30408)

Pages: 1 2 3

*Ranking the Scouts... - Bigred1580 - 03-04-2021

Ranking the Scouts…

We hear a lot about players ranking teams and mock drafts ranking players, but all of us in this upcoming class have been scouted by just about every team by now. I have been scouted by 12.5/14 so far! It isn’t just teams that choose their players, but some players develop preferences for who they would like to go to. Some of that is based on the scouting conversation they had with either their GMs, War Room Member, or even just a non-war room member who is helping with scouting. I thought I would help out the teams and let them know how attractive they are making their own teams look based on the scouting conversation I had. Warning, I am going to be ruthless so nothing personal. Take this criticism with a little grain of salt as one man’s opinion, but also, use this info to improve in the future. I will give my take on the scouting, tell where each team ranks on my preference list, and give the scouters a grade.

Starting with the NSFC.

Baltimore
Scouted by: Frick and Hall (GMs)

The only team to make a group DM so I could communicate with both GMs at the same time. These guys started out strong with an honest pitch about the state of their team and where I would fit in the rebuild. Frick then promised me a separate channel in the Locker Room to talk about the huskers together, as a reminder of old GM chat days. We then talked about life, the draft, why I am so much better than infinitempg, their locker room culture, and I told them that my father-in-law was in the room with me reading a fiction book about the Navy, and then we talked about where they see me on the team. Normal scouting stuff… I made my draft demands (1OA or bust) and (Don’t draft infinite)! Overall it was an amazing scouting job!

Team Preference Rank: 1/14
Scouting Grade: 10 smiley faces

Berlin
Scouted by: Manic

Berlin sure knew what they were doing. They sent the guy who introduced me to the league. A guy I have known for 20 years (that’s longer than some people in this league have been alive). He is also Godfather to my child, no joke. Having said that. What a terrible scout! JK, when he first reached out to me I told him to fill out the questionnaire for me since he knows me so well. I was wondering if the team would be able to tell that all the questions were answered by him, not me. However, manic, being the good friend he is, decided not to do that because he didn’t want to accidentally shortchange me with the GMs, so we still had an official scouting survey. We then talked about the LR culture and future plans and he really sold me on how great a place it is. Then I sent him a picture of my daughter with food on her face.

Scouting Grade: Like Snuggling a baby

Chicago
Scouted by: TheCC

The first scout on this list that I didn’t have a pre-existing relationship with, except he was my fantasy manager… TheCC didn’t beat around the bush with a long scouting survey. He told me the reason he didn’t reach out sooner is because he shares a different discord with another BigRed and he had DMed that person. Lol, there can only be one BigRed!!! But I didn’t hold that against him. Then he just asked me a few questions that evolved into a convo. Wanted to know where we ranked among teams I’d like to go too, and what I know about them. I told him I know they have a solid WR crew and have done an amazing job of rebuilding. He said the locker room has done a complete 180 and they are an amazing place to be. A perfect locker room culture. He talked about their future QB plans and asked me about the reasons I chose to make another WR this time around. Overall, very pleasant conversation and I can tell Chicago is in a great place right now.

Scouting Grade: 4 red stars

Colorado
Scouted by: Syl, then Isa

I was super nervous about this team, because I know infinitempg was there so long it probably still has his scent on it. But I decided to give them a chance. Syl was one of the first people to scout me early on in the season. He started with an interesting question about cereal and milk. I must have passed the test because he seemed satisfied. We discussed team culture, wide receivers, infinite being gone, and the covid vaccine. All crucial scouting questions. About 3 weeks later Isa messaged me, which made me think Syl forgot he scouted me already, but either way, the more people I get to talk to, the better!! Isa started off with a deep psychological evaluation on whether or not I believed in Yeti. I told him the honest truth which I think disappointed him (but honesty is always the best policy, remember that kids). But it was probably infinitempg that was the one who believed in real life Yetis, so no loss… He was also curious about my goals for Quick, and why I made him a WR after a long career with Swift. He asked me my opinions about Colorado. Aside from that scrub infinitempg, I have a good opinion of them now! And I’m super glad he is gone and not the owner anymore!! We discussed any contract demands and that was that.

Scouting Grade: One Unicorn, Two Dragons, a Centaur, and the Loch Ness Monster

Philly
Scouted by: WildfireMicro

First time scout, I was honored to help break him in! WM seems like a great user with passion for the league and his team. We started with the typical scouting survey questions, and then moved into a more informal conversation. I got to quiz him on the culture, his player, the Wide Receivers and such and he painted a good picture about the future in Philly and where they are going. They already have their future QB in place and have a good plan going forward. Also, I know Pat from the TIJ LR and have been able to discuss with him about the team.

Scouting Grade: 5 Gold Stars

Sarasota
Scouted by: Not scouted

Sad Face.

Team Preference Rank: 1/14 - I still love you, won't you love me!!
Scouting Grade: Still better than infinitempg

Yellowknife
Scouted by: Fly

To be honest, Yellowknife doesn’t need to scout me. I am still in their discord and I chat in there or message Fly about other stuff on a regular basis. I do have a love in my heart for Yellowknife as a former GM. I drafted some of the players that are on that team or have helped scout or was in the war room in all but the youngest players’ draft classes. So I know this team and they know me. Having said that, Fly still reached out to make sure I was still open to returning there and not just wanting to go somewhere new. I told him what I tell all teams, I am open to everywhere. I have a feeling that if I fall to them, Fly and others on the team would be happy to bring me back.

Scouting Grade: One Ring

On to the ASFC!!!

Arizona
Scouted by: Opera_Phantom

It seems like it was only yesterday that I got the chance to scout the up and coming Jay Cue as a young DSFL newbie. He did a better job than I did back then. He started off by being the most humble scouter I have ever had. He even said he was the most humble! He asked if I knew what I was doing and if I had any plans of making league money. No on both accounts. We started to come up with a plan to steal money from that scrub infinitempg, but lost track of time before everything was hashed out… alas. We then compared historical stats of Arizona’s current roster vs me, and who has been to the most ultimuses. We left with him telling me he didn’t think I would fall to them at pick 14 (his words), but would be happy to have me if I fell that far.

Team Preference Rank: 1/14 -
Scouting Grade: One Well-Timed Dad Joke

Austin
Scouted by: Southpaw, then Mooty

Southie started the scouting process early on by just reaching out to say hi and make sure things were going good. As a recreate, this was totally unnecessary but said a lot about Austin in that they are willing to go the extra mile and check in and not assume that anything. A few weeks later, mooty reached out to me. It is always enjoyable talking to someone even older than me, as I can ask him some life advice. As a new dad, it is good to talk to other people about getting their baby to sleep. He then proceeded to ask about my new player and how everything is going. He lamented that they no longer have a first round pick so they probably won’t be able to snag me, but that again spoke volumes that they are still scouting a guy they don’t believe they can get. I appreciate the effort.

Scouting Grade. 4 out of 5 members of Ships Crew…

Honolulu
Scouted by: Numbers

Numbers actually scouted me before I even made my player. He reached out to me at the beginning of S26 just to check if I was planning on recreating. He then scouted me to KCC where he jokingly told me they were considering taking me at 1OA… Reaching out to me here, we had a long convo about everything going on in KCC. When it came to talking about Honolulu, he did a great job of selling the culture as it is now and how I would be a fit. He touched all the scouting basics, i.e. position swaps, contracts, why infinite is the worst, why I chose WR, but did it very informally. I have known numbers since right after I joined the league but this was still one of the best scouting conversations I had.

Scouting Grade. 124,715 Rainbows

Nola
Scouted by: AdamS

Adam was short and to the point. He was in the war room that drafted me to Yellowknife and was co-GM to Daybe shortly after that. He basically just told me he didn’t think I would fall but if I did, they would take me. So, I got that going for me. If I fall to Nola, I have a strong belief that I may be taken by them. We talked for a bit about their long term plans and then he asked me some questions and I forgot to answer for about a week. My bad.

Scouting Grade: 3 Doots

New York
Scouted by: zayn

Zayn was one of the first people to reach out and scout me this round. He also had scouted me for the DSFL. New York doesn’t have a standard survey of questions, but it was just an informal conversation. We covered all the bases, and he did a good job of letting me know about the culture of NY and what they are trying to build. I know quite a few on the roster from my time in Yellowknife, and would have no problem going back there. Not knowing zayn very well before creating my player, I would say that I have been impressed with him in the scouting process. Friendly, informed, and easy to have a conversation with.

Scouting Grade: A Slice of New York Pizza

Orange County
Scouted by: Blasoon

Blasoon reached out and we had a great informal conversation. He also set me up very well for a few solid dad jokes. “How are you finding your player?” “I go on the forums.” I crack myself up sometimes. Anyway, after that we had a good chat about my player, goals, position switching, culture, and such. I told him about myself and some of the other good players in KCC. One thing that stood out is he made sure to ask about how I was IRL. Sometimes we can forget about the person behind the keyboard and I thought that was thoughtful that he wanted to make sure I was in a good place both in the league and out of it. It showed he cares about people. IDK, some may not care about those things, but it was a positive for me.

Scouting Grade: Laying on the floor with 10 puppies crawling all over you.

San Jose
Scouted by: No one really, me kinda… They are the .5 scout.

Of all the teams in the ISFL, there isn’t a team I am more familiar with their current roster than San Jose. As recently as S25 I was in their war room, so I played a small part in helping to draft some of these guys. I know the GMs as I have worked with them for two seasons. I am very comfortable with their plan moving forward and know what their team make-up is and locker room culture. Before they ever reached out to me, I reached out to them in the private channel that was created in their discord to discuss contracts. They do not have much hope that I will fall to them in the draft, so that plus their knowledge of my history makes me feel like I would be drafted to them if they are given the chance.

Scouting Grade: A train of :derpcatbacktoback: emojis

Ok fine, I can't be ruthless, I love all these teams and I love everyone. I am very happy to have gotten to talk to all of these scouts and heard about your teams, and I would be happy to play for all of you!!

as long as you don't draft that scrub infinitempg...

K BYE!!

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - excelsior - 03-04-2021

Come quick mom, we're first!

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - Bigred1580 - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:15 PM)excelsior Wrote: Come quick mom, we're first!

Alphabetical

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - slate - 03-04-2021

#FireFrolf

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - infinitempg - 03-04-2021

[Image: unknown.png]

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - Bigred1580 - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:17 PM)infinitempg Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

See what I'm dealing with people!!

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - Frostbite - 03-04-2021

In terms of speed, I am speed

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - infinitempg - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:18 PM)Bigred1580 Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 03:17 PM)infinitempg Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

See what I'm dealing with people!!

big red more like big bulli

meet me at the quarry u wont

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - Blasoon - 03-04-2021

Hey man, the conversation was only as fun as it was because you were such a gem. I'm glad I got to chat to ya and I hope your draft night is a wonderful one! Good luck again on your thesis!

RE: Ranking the Scouts... - zaynzk - 03-04-2021

Thanks for the kind words!! :heart:

But also Frost Sux Lmap