International Simulation Football League
*Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 (/showthread.php?tid=30457)

Pages: 1 2

*Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - .Laser - 03-06-2021

Ladies and gentlemen, we are back at it again! Last season I put out two mock drafts, the first of which went 7/14 and the second of which went 9/14. I put the first one out within 12 hours of the draft actually starting, and originally planned on a similar timeline for this edition of the mock. However, Excelsior helped me hit on two additional picks with the info he gave me after reading the original. With that in mind, I’m going to put out my first edition of my mock now then revisit it in a couple days when more FAs have settled on where they’re going and anyone who has any info for me lets me in on that. As it is I have enough info to have a good idea in the first half of the round, then it all falls apart in the second half, so we’ll see what happens with those. I have used my S28 Draft Primers, both the ASFC and NSFC editions as a general reference for team needs, but again this is before free agency so some teams will be rather subject to change. In addition, I am using the following draft order, which is correct for at least the first 10 picks of the draft:

1. Baltimore
2. Baltimore via Austin
3. Orange County
4. Philadelphia
5. Berlin
6. New York
7. San Jose
8. Yellowknife
9. Arizona
10. Chicago
11. New Orleans
12. Colorado
13. Honolulu
14. Sarasota

With all that out of the way, let’s go ahead and get this party started!

Round 1, pick 1: Baltimore Hawks BAL
Team needs: WR, RB, TE, DT

I’ve made a slight edit to this after the start of free agency, as Baltimore used the options on Mai Fukushu, which was expected, but also on WR Korbin Brown. That leaves one WR on the current roster, along with 0 RBs and one inactive TE. Now, I already stated in the draft primer for the NSFC what I think the two picks for Baltimore will be, and in what order, but it really doesn’t matter what order they go in as long as they are both correct. It also begs the question as to whether I have changed my mind after seeing the additional WR loss, and the answer is no. Losing one additional player is not the end of the world when you are already rebuilding from 0-16, and they should still be looking for the best users at their positions of need. So I’m keeping my prediction. 1st overall in the S28 draft will be Luke Quick, WR, user BigRed1580. I don’t need to talk about how awesome BR is to anyone on the site, and if I do, then go talk to him. He’s a joy to be around and someone I would love to play with one day. Not to mention, he played 13 seasons with his previous player, meaning he’s a max earning guarantee, and has $341m in his bank account, good for 4th in the league. There are zero red flags.

Round 1, pick 2: Baltimore Hawks via Austin Copperheads BAL
Team needs: RB, WR, TE, DT

The team needs shift only slightly for the second of Baltimore’s back to back picks, as RB moves to the front of the field now that they have enough WR to put on the field. With their RB corps depleted by the retirement of Mathias Hanyadi and free agency departures of King Tutankhamun and Mai Fukushu, who has just retired, they have to get one here. And look who it is! The master of the honk himself sits here ready to go to work. Busch Goose, RB, user infinitempg, will be pick 2 in the draft. Why put Infi second when he’s clearly done so much for the league? Simply because Baltimore has the chance to allow BR to join the very small group of users to go first overall in both the DSFL and ISFL drafts with the same player. I think that’s a recognition he deserves. However, this segment is about infi. His WolfieBot is one of the best things to happen to the ISFL in my opinion, and he is continuing to improve upon it. He will max earn, but will appropriately bite your nose off if he is asked to swap to QB, having been forced into it twice so far in his ISFL career. He also has the most money in the league by 209m, with 687m as of now. That is likely to go up to over 700m this offseason. He’s also one of the most knowledgeable people about league happenings outside of HO.

Round 1, pick 3: Orange County Otters OCO
Team needs: WR, K/P, LB, OL, QB

For Orange County, there are three things that need addressed sooner rather than later. Wideout, to help Despacito Jr. and Holloway as they continue to get better; linebacker, to replace Sergio Kitchens, who is not earning too fantastically; and a K, of which there are 3 in this draft. When looking at the WR, we see that there are 5 of them max earning. Quick is already gone, Cowabunga is almost a guarantee for Austin at pick 16, and Onion Man, Saleem Spence, and Chunt are all good options, especially when considering that there is not really a team picking after them that needs a wideout. On the other hand, there are currently 2 linebackers over 165 TPE, and the gap between the two is 55. However, former DE Xavier Walls is joining Dexter Hall at the fray for the top LB. That means that there is essentially a logjam for the top two LB spots, and Orange County needs one too badly to roll the dice on missing out. Dexter Hall, LB, user Firstfray will be OCO’s selection at 3. I chose Hall over Walls here for the simple reason that Hall spoke very well of OCO when I spoke to them, and I’ve seen Firstfray active in about 7 different discord groups the last few days. They have 232 TPE and over 26m in the bank, which is a good amount for an up and coming rookie. I think this is a great pick for the Otters, who are picking uncharacteristically early thanks to the new sim.

Round 1, pick 4: Philadelphia Liberty PHI
Team needs: CB, S, DL

Philadelphia, as I mentioned in my NSFC primer, is a team that is building well but will suffer a slight setback for 2-3 seasons while Ryan Negs gets all the way up to his true TPE potential. The build around him is good, but they really do need a CB and then an S. And, as it happens, one of the best new users in this class, who has done a ton of work tracking draft order, tracking player TPE from the S28 class, and has written a ton of articles is a CB. So it makes it a pretty easy choice to slot in Anton Buckner, CB, user Gragg9 here at the 4 slot for Philly. He is max earning thus far and his involvement in the league seems to be growing rather than decreasing. He has only 13m at the moment, somehow, but that’s sure to go up rather rapidly the longer he’s in the league and is not at all a knock. This is the 3rd pick I am certain about, after the two Hawks additions, and I don’t think there would be anything to change that.

Round 1, pick 5: Berlin Fire Salamanders BER
Team needs: S, K/P, OL

Berlin doesn’t particularly need any of the positions listed above, but they are things to consider for the future or would be a need next season. Because of that, they can afford to take a player based off of personality alone that they can find a way to slot into the roster down the line. Best player available, essentially. And for Berlin, I think that the player at the top of their board is going to be Glenn Smart, DE, user Pib. I have not spoken to them in person yet, I don’t think, but no matter who I talk to has had nothing but positive things to say about Pib. They were drafted 6th in the DSFL draft with the London Royals, and are among the top 5 earners in the class with 18m to their name. They may need to stay down an extra season, or may be willing to switch to a position of need, but either way Berlin has a chance to continue building a great locker room here and I think that they will do that.

Round 1, pick 6: New York Silverbacks NYS
Team needs: DE, DT, RB

This pick is by far the most interesting of the draft so far, in my opinion, and shapes the way the rest of the draft pans out. New York needs an RB, for sure, and they absolutely need a DE with the retirement of Jayson Kearse just a few hours ago. They could use a DT to stay down another season, but at this point could be better of waiting until next season as well. In addition to all that, Chunt the Badger seems to want to play on the same team as Colt Mendoza, who is the CB1 for the Silverbacks. So New York finds itself in a pickle. However, at the end of the day, I think that New York will end up being able to sign a free agent defensive lineman in free agency, allowing them to pick up a person that GM woelkers has a lot of connections to and would probably be scooped up by Colorado a few picks down the line. Manhattan Project, RB, user modern_duke is most probably the pick here at this point in time. He is, in the words of multiple GMs, an excellent war room addition and has a lot of value as a LR presence and as a user. He only recently switched to RB, so perhaps a swap may be in the cards, who really knows. Lastly, as I said, this pick could change and if it does it will drastically affect the draft behind this pick and could change everything up.

Round 1, pick 7: San Jose Sabercats SJS
Team needs: CB, OL, QB

This team is built solidly. However, a new hole has been exposed in the defense as Rich Triplet is now a free agent to my understanding. Originally the only need they really had was offensive line, but now they will definitely need a CB as well. So then, SJS will have to decide whether they take a top tier OL in the 1st and a solid CB in the 2nd, or if they want to take a top tier CB in the first and a mid tier OL in the second. And honestly, looking at the quality of the CBs remaining, I think that they can afford to take that OL round 1 still and be perfectly fine. The #1 CB is already off the board, but there are two others available that I think will be considered largely interchangeable. So, I have SJS picking up Stumpy Jones, OL, user FootballIsCool. Stumpy is the top earner in the entire class, and while I don’t know that I’ve spoken to them I have heard their name pretty often. I don’t think that you can get a much more solid pick for offensive line than this, although the other top OL Cade Williams has it cut close. I just feel like SJS will take the top of the board.

Round 1, pick 8: Yellowknife Wraiths YKW
Team needs: DT, OL, QB

Luckily for Yellowknife, one of the top new users in the class is still available at this pick, and at the position they need the most. With Nero Alexander’s retirement fresh in the mind of the league, the hole he leaves in the defensive line leaves large, and I think the best option to replace him is Prof. Godfrey Gravity, DT, user z0rem. Every QB is still on the board, and Cade Williams is the top OL option at this point, but with Z0rem still available I don’t think there’s any way he can drop any further. The next best DT available is Daniel O’Leary, who has 50 TPE and 11m less than z0rem. O’Leary himself will probably not drop past the second round, so locking up the top option while they have the chance is the best move for YKW to make here. Probably one of the easier decisions to make this draft.

Round 1, pick 9: Arizona Outlaws ARI
Team needs: CB, OL, WR

Arizona needs to pick up a CB soon to replace former GM Desmond Scarlett, and they may as well do that here. While they do need a wideout, and they do need an offensive lineman, those needs do not compare to how large the need at corner is. Scarlett has one, maybe two seasons left and they need to plan for that. So, I have them selecting C.J. Sonjack, CB, user Ace at this pick. Sonjack is not the highest earning user at CB in regards to TPE, that distinction goes to both Anton Buckner and Juno Hu, who are tied at 229 a person. Sonjack sits just behind with 205. So then why take the lower TPE corner? Because TPE is not the be all end all. I have not see j00, or Juno Hu, at all in any rookie discords or locker rooms, but I have seen Ace become more and more active as the season goes on, and I feel that the Outlaws will go with activity over that 20 TPE that will hardly matter in the long run.

Round 1, pick 10: Chicago Butchers CHI
Team needs: OL, DE, TE, QB

This is another pick where things could go one of any number of directions. They could choose to take their QB of choice, not having many other needs, but that would potentially leave Oles out in the dark with his recreate. They could pick up a TE to replace the regressing Tree Gelbman, but looking at the number of TE in S29 then that would pretty easily be the better class to take one in. They can also take a DL, as John Smirh is reportedly contemplating retirement. And lastly, they could take an offensive lineman, however I have sources that say the hole at OL is no longer as large looming as it had been. So, with all that in mind, I think that the best option for Chicago would be to trade this pick to a team with a more pressing need. I’m not going to speculate who would move to this position or what it would cost. I’m going to simply go with who I think Chicago would pick if they keep the selection, and that is Mongo, DE, user MachineEarnedRuns. He is 2nd in TPE for DEs, is a multi-league user between here and PBE, and has written some excellent media pieces. He is active in his locker rooms but not out in the open as much, and has expressed a desire to work his way into round one at some way or another. I think he’s found that way, as Chicago picks up their next DL of the future.

NOTE: Below this point, the draft order is not finalized and I am going off of season standings. Picks could change depending on the outcome of the games.

Round 1, pick 11: New Orleans Second Line NOLA
Team needs: TE, WR, CB, QB

New Orleans needs a TE pretty badly. They really can most likely afford to wait until the second round, as no other team picking ahead of New York’s second, which they own, really needs a TE either. So to me, I see them taking an offensive lineman. That would allow for one more season down to continue to improve, then let Scorp retire and bring up Cade Williams, OL, user dude_man to help solidify the OL. Cade is the 2nd highest earning OL in the draft, and I believe has recently gotten a league job as well. Dude seems to be a good one, and he would fit in perfectly with the locker room in New Orleans. This pick makes too much sense to me and I think it would be a perfect fit.

Round 1, pick 12: Colorado Yeti
Team needs: DT, DT, K/P, DE

Colorado badly needs help on the defensive line. However, there are several free agents that Colorado could very well sign, and I think that they will get at least a few of them to shore up their immediate holes. In that case, I think they go with the person who they like the most as a user, and I would imagine that to be Xavier Wells, LB, user xtitanxmvpx. Wells is swapping from DE to LB, and while Colorado does not necessarily need an LB they have a way or swapping things around to make it work. It allows them to have a very close knit locker room that they are proud of, although I have never seen the inside of it. I think that Titan would be an excellent addition to the group and that Colorado will be able to get enough FA signings to make it happen.

Round 1, pick 13: Honolulu Hahalua HON
Team needs: DT, CB, K/P, OL

At this point, I could have made any number of mistakes that will come back to bite me in the ass. However, I think I can pretty reasonably say that Honolulu has a decently easy decision to make between these positions. Kickers don’t go in the first unless they’ve killed fresco guavas, and the next two best OL are both 150 TPE behind the rest of the field. That narrows it down to CB and DT. However, I think that they will go to the outside of the DL and pick up Andrew Warthol, DE, user Skorch. They can probably get someone to swap positions to make the player skill work. The number of teams behind them that need CBs is low, and they can still get one of the top options with their second round pick.

Round 1, pick 14: Sarasota Sailfish SAR
Team needs: LB, OL

I’m just gonna come right out of the gate with this one: I don’t have a clue what’s gonna happen here. There are no 1st round worthy OL left, and the best remaining LB is DeAndre Chuggs with 167 TPE, who is good but will probably drop considering the number of 200+ TPE players left. So, I’m going to take a wild swing in the dark and say that Sarasota will go with Cole Maxwell, S, user Alcott. He’s one of the highest TPE players left on the board, and safeties can be played at linebacker in a pinch. He may even be willing to switch for Sarasota. Who knows.

That concludes my first mock draft of the season, and while I’m pretty confident in the first half of it, the second one is very, very subject to change and I wouldn’t put too much stock in it past pick 6 yet. One error can change the entire draft, and I’m all about accuracy. I’ll have a new version out as soon as I can, but until then feel free to offer any comments or new information I might not be aware of that could change things! Stay tuned for version 2!

Code:
3200ish

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - Rusfan - 03-06-2021

Colorado picking at 12 makes this Mock irrelevant.

/s

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - UltimateYeehaw - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 07:44 PM)Laser Wrote: In addition to all that, Chunt the Badger seems to want to play on the same team as Colt Mendoza, who is the CB1 for the Silverbacks. 

Lies.

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - .Laser - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 08:12 PM)UltimateYeehaw Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 07:44 PM)Laser Wrote: In addition to all that, Chunt the Badger seems to want to play on the same team as Colt Mendoza, who is the CB1 for the Silverbacks. 

Lies.
My sources have failed me, then. I'll file that away for version 2

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - siddhus - 03-06-2021

“ However, I think that they will go to the outside of the DL and pick up Andrew Warthol, DE, user Skorch. “

Wouldn’t DE be considered inside the DL smh my head lol. But nice article.

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - Thiath - 03-06-2021

Noted

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - infinitempg - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 07:44 PM)Laser Wrote: He will max earn, but will appropriately bite your nose off if he is asked to swap to QB, having been forced into it twice so far in his ISFL career.

someone gets it

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - Pat - 03-07-2021

(03-06-2021, 11:04 PM)infinitempg Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 07:44 PM)Laser Wrote: He will max earn, but will appropriately bite your nose off if he is asked to swap to QB, having been forced into it twice so far in his ISFL career.

someone gets it

Oh. You won't switch to QB?

Guess our Do Not Draft list grew by one tonight.

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - BOOM™ - 03-07-2021

Thanks for a great look at some of the players in the draft. Really useful for someone coming back to the league after an extended break to get to know a few of the members.

RE: Laser's Locks: S28 Mock 1.0 - Frick_Nasty - 03-07-2021

[Image: 8755_Thinkeyes.png]