International Simulation Football League
*The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective (/showthread.php?tid=30682)

*The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - Capt_Blitzkrieg - 03-14-2021

Everybody’s over here looking at the ISFL, nobody’s talking about the DSFL. Smh. I mean, I get it, that one has TPE attached to it with the mock draft. And longer term implications for the site’s population. And cup holders, I think? That last one is unverified.

Yeah, okay, that was true when I started to write this. Now, with the leaks of the ISFL draft, this might’ve just gotten a lot more relevant. We’ll see, I guess.

That aside, this is my first article in the ISFL, so hi. For those of you who don’t know me from the SHL, my name is Blitz and my player that’s set to be drafted into the DSFL is Joey Marston. This is an article that’s basically just me talking out of my ass about the draft.

In particular, I want to talk out of my ass about draft picks in the DSFL. We’re still a week away from the start of the draft as I’m starting to write this. I figured I’d do a little digging because I want to know where I’ll fall.

First, let’s talk team needs. The only thing the rulebook says about roster construction that I understand without the sim engine in front of me is that rosters are a minimum of 36 players with 10 player characters required, and a maximum of 40 players. Looking at the Wiki, it looks like there some positions on defense that can be mixed and matched (Defensive Back is CB and S, Defensive Lineman is DT and DE). After that, I’m not too sure what the recommendations are for a roster. Based on the roster lists on the Wiki, I’m going to say that a “typical roster” should look something like:

1 or 2 Quarterbacks
  2 or 3 Running Backs
  4 Receivers (WR or TE)
  1 or 2 Offensive Linemen
  3 or 4 Defensive Linemen (DE or DT)
  2 or 3 Linebackers
  3 or 4 Defensive Backs (CB or S)
  1 Kicker-Punter

That might not be the most feasible, but it gets a decent look at what team needs might be.

The assumption fueling how I’ve ranked needs says that players currently on rosters in the S25 and S26 classes are on their way out for sure, and S27 is definitely out next season. I’m sure there are players who were drafted last season and are already being called up, but I don’t know enough to feel comfortable offering that commentary yet. Also, I didn’t actually check activity, so I classified the third group as Low TPE Players. They may be borderline inactive, actually inactive, or just taking it easy in their earning. It’s my understanding that some positions in the ISFL have clearly higher or lower TPE requirements for success anyway, but I’m coming from another league where TPE is king and all shall bow before it except Goalies because who the fuck knows how they work, but that’s beside the point. For the sake of simplicity, they’re getting highlighted as possible problems down the road that might be good to shop for more active players. With that in mind, let’s begin.

-

KCC Kansas City Coyotes (7-7) (NFC Champions)

Losing for Sure: Owmy Back (TE)
  Definitely Next Season: Xander Creed (RB), Eleven Kendrick-Watts (WR), Cheese Farley (OL), Armando Galarraga (KP)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Blake Bosworth (DE), Logan Steele (CB), Bjørn Borg (OL), Ivo Marriott (TE), Tre Washington (S)

The Coyotes have a solid quarterback and pack of running backs. They’re hurting when it comes to the passing game. It’s not unreasonable to think that Kendrick-Watts will be called up this off-season, and that leaves them in the lurch with no active tight ends and only one wide receiver. They’re also set to lose Cheese Farley fairly soon and could do with an upgrade to Ivo Marriott, so it wouldn’t be too surprising to see them take an offensive lineman in the later rounds.
The big need for the Coyotes is upgrading their defense. Bosworth and Steele didn’t pan out, and Washington is slow-earning but active. Giving Prof. Godfrey Gravity and Dexter Hall some defensive assistance on the field is definitely a priority.

Shopping List: DT/DE, CB/S, LB, WR.

-

LON London Royals (6-8)

Losing for Sure: Schumi Hulkenvettel (WR), Caven McRae (S), Logan Sarrasin (LB)
  Definitely Next Season: Tsuyu Asui (WR), Fergus Callahan, Jr. (DT), Duke Cheeks (LB), Marlon Brando (DT)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Gavin Leclerc (CB), Zane Cruz (DE), Gerard Grenouille (RB), Spencer Fields (S)

When I first combed through the roster, I was a little worried about the Royals at Quarterback, but Red Arrow Jr. seems to have that well in hand. The major priority then shifts to giving him something to aim at. While Tsuyu Asui is a member of the S27 class, it doesn’t seem too unreasonable with their TPE to see them called up more imminently. That sees them losing two of their wide receivers and having only one, admittedly very good, tight end in Makoa Mahi’ai. I don’t see them taking a running back early on, seeing as they have Manhattan Project whose been solid, but consideration in later rounds or as an early UFA wouldn’t be too surprising.

Before that, though, the Royals need defense. With even aside from the low-earners, they’re set to take a big hit with the loss of McRae and Sarrasin, and it’s not too far out there to consider that Callaghan might be gone too. Combine that with future-proofing in the form of Cruz and Fields not really taking, the Royals could be in some dire straits.

Shopping List: DT/DE, WR, LB.

-

MIN Minnesota Grey Ducks (6-8)

Losing for Sure: James Gath (CB), Ryan Negs (QB), Gluteus Maximus (KP)
  Definitely Next Season: Madison Hayes (RB), Bobby Tarantino (TE), Mike Hunt (WR)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Jalen Washington (WR), Mills Wallace (DE), Joe Bay (WR), Lawrence McCoy (RB), Tom Adamo (RB)

Change has come for the Grey Ducks, as TheCC steps down to move up to the ISFL management scene, and it looks like a lot of their set pieces will be turning over as well. I know I have Hayes and Hunt on the Next Season list, but it seems likely from what I know of the users that they’ll be called up for S28. Losing those big names along with QB Negs and their kicker Maximus is big. It’s even bigger when one considers the likelihood that Washington and Bay will be turned over as well, and McCoy and Adamo will likely need upgrading. The nice thing is that they have a developing QB in the wings with Jacob Raske and a pretty good tight end in Bender Rodriguez. As they’re one of the teams without a player on their offensive line, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’re evaluating options there as well.
Defensively, they’re set to be a powerhouse at the corners next season. Rookies Warthol and Bruckner lead the charge on defense, with Bane, O’Leary, and Chuggs active and earning at respectable rates. They could use an extra set of hands on the line, but the major defensive weakness is at linebacker. DeAndre Chuggs is their only active player at that position. Giving Chuggs a defensive partner seems like it’d be a solid priority to further strengthen an already-solid defense.

Shopping List: WR, LB, RB, OL.

-

POR Portland Pythons (11-3)

Losing for Sure: Donald McBobby (LB), LeBron James III (QB), Evan Jones (S)
  Definitely Next Season: Kita Chiasa (CB), Lawrence Miller (CB), Giovanni Bianchi (RB)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Elijah Torres (CB), Moe Skeeter (S), Quavious McGrady (WR), Ty Tyson (LB), Carter Fox (DT), Shane Benjamin (TE)

The Portland Pythons have a decent S28 class. They’ve got the obvious gems like Saleem Spence and Xavier Walls, but the biggest thing is that even their “low earners” are still all over 100 TPE.
That said, their defensive future is brain drain. Four defensive mainstays in the next two seasons called up, and a lot roster spots on the wish list. Jones is gone at the end of the season and Bianchi is earning well enough that if he’s not gone with Jones, he definitely will be after next season. Same goes for Miller.
There’s also the loss of LeBron James III at QB. This is huge for them offensively since James was critical in bailing them out just in the couple of games that I saw and it stands to reason that it was a trend through the season. Not to discount this loss, but they’re also going to need receivers. The only one earning at a decent clip and staying on the team for the foreseeable future is the aforementioned Spence at wide receiver and when most teams have two or three wide receivers and at least one decent tight end, that points to the Pythons posting poorer possible targets.

Shopping List: CB/S, QB, WR, TE.

-

BBB Bondi Beach Buccaneers (5-9)

Losing for Sure: Alex Reed (WR), Akil Ozymandias (RB), Big Chungus (RB)
  Definitely Next Season: HeHateMe PickSix II (CB)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Bismo Funyuns (WR), Cayson Nzeocha (CB), Don Bradman (LB), Jake Hayes (DT), Latavius Jackson (WR)

Bondi Beach really took it to heart when the rulebook said “a minimum of 10 player characters”. That, or they were gutted by call-ups before I got around to writing this article. I don’t know, but I do know that if it’s because of call-ups, it’s about to get worse.
Looking offensively, they have no offensive linemen and are very likely to lose Ozymandias and Big Chungus. They could use to upgrade everything about their wide receiver corp and pick up a tight end or two. To be entirely honest, I don’t know how much selling players for picks is a thing in the DSFL, but I really hope for their sake that the cupboard is this bare because they sold a lot of players and the pick tracker hasn’t been updated. They have Laser’s quarterback, Zaylren, who is already close to the 250 TPE cap, but he doesn’t have much in the way of targets, protection, or running backs. One man does not an offense make, unless it’s the DSFL equivalent of the “This is Fine” dog.
Looking defensively, it’s not much better. Their one star is PickSix, whose TPE range makes it just as likely that they’ll be called up for next season. Mongo is earning at a decent clip and is almost to 250, along with the slower-earning Tingzpahcbol and Smith. They could still use some extra hands at linebacker and defensive line.
In a novel strain, they also do not have a kicker. Just an extra level of concern for the Buccaneers.
Shopping List: Everything but QB.

-

DAL Dallas Birddogs (11-3)(SFC Champions)(Ultimini Champions)

Losing for Sure: Primo Berto (DE), Pope Francis (DE), Borgo San Lorenzo (TE)
  Definitely Next Season: Joliet Christ Jr. (QB), Jason Bradshaw (CB)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Erik Kirkland (LB), Dash Smith (CB), Anubis J. Williams (CB), Mark Higgins (LB)

This is the team that picked me up on waivers. It’s been a great time in Dallas, and I really enjoy it.
Looking at offensive needs, Christ is still there for a season with Chunt and Cowabunga having amazing rookie seasons. Gaare is pretty good as a running back, so picking up another can wait for later rounds or UFA. The only real problems for the Birddogs going into next season are on the o-line; OL and losing their only tight end to the ISFL. The tight end should be an easy replacement in this class. With their main four scoring threats returning, the Birddogs look primed for a repeat, but there’s a complication.
Defensively, the outlook is a lot rougher. Bradshaw, despite being in the S27 class, could very likely move up. Even if he doesn’t, Dallas could use to upgrade most of its defenders. Defensive back and linebacker are going to be high-value targets for the Birddogs in this coming draft. Still, it’s not the worst outlook if Berto and Francis, who are very low earners but still serviceable in the DSFL, stick around for an extra season.
Shoutout to Dallas Dole with the Kick That Won the Ultimini.

Shopping List: CB/S, LB, TE.

-

NOR Norfolk Seawolves (4-10)

Losing for Sure: Lalo Salamanca (WR)
  Definitely Next Season: SparkySparky Boom-man (S), Josephy Radetzky (WR), Candice D. Fitinyomouf (DT), Bean Beanman (DE)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Rotor Wash (KP), Vilhjálmur Kueblerson (TE), Kris Krieg (CB), Mr. Poop (OL), Rudy Gray (OL), Holton Hillburn (TE), Archie Griffin (RB), Jeff Gray (TE)

In the case of the Anchorage Arm—I mean, Norfolk Seawolves, it’s not a question of actual deficiencies, it’s a question of what to replace and when. Given their 4-10 record and TPE, it’s probably safe to assume that Salamanca is not the only Seawolf to be NSFL-bound this off-season. Boom-man, Radetzky, Fitinyomouf, and Beanman all have TPE numbers that might cut it in the ISFL depending on team needs. After that, it’s a laundry list of low-earning or low TPE players.
Ultimately, they have a quarterback in Bex’s player Raeni Clarke, but not much else. Sam the Onion Man stands out as a S28 class addition and Rudy Gray appears to be active on the o-line, but that still leaves openings at tight end and running back after the veterans are gone. And they could still use an extra wide receiver.
Defensively, this team is about to lose its defensive line and needs to supplement the slow-earning but decent Benjamin Ankers. The corners and safeties are okay for the moment, with rookies Wong and Harris, but they’ll likely need help sooner rather than later.
They could also probably stand to replace their kicker, but the situation isn’t as bad as some other teams so they may choose to let it lie for now in pursuit of other needs. 

Shopping List: LB, DE/DT, TE, RB.

-

TIJ Tijuana Luchadores (6-8)

Losing for Sure: Maiteers Rico-Shea (OL)
  Definitely Next Season: Jonathan Shuffleboard (S), Preston Parker (RB), Drip Dad (RB), Buck Nekkid (CB), Devonte Cook (LB)
  Low TPE Players to Replace: Julian Jurevicius (WR), Rocky Jackman (WR), Boo Tee (LB), Rob Banks (TE)

It’s pretty cool for Tijuana that they don’t have any players that they pressingly need to replace. Replacing them would be beneficial since they’re all inactive, but they’re not the worst in the meantime, with the except of Banks. Less so with the other teams, the Definitely Next Season group here seems much more likely to stay down this season based on TPE. Having fewer call-ups to wrestle with this season should bode well for the Luchadore team that made an impressive semi-final showing in the Playoffs this past season.
Unless both are called up, the Luchadores can give running backs a miss this time around. Losing Rico-Shea will be a big blow, but Cade Williams has been an impressive rookie lineman. Wide receiver wouldn’t be the worst pick up for the Luchadores, but they should definitely be scouting tight ends.
Defensively, they’ll have to wrangle with giving their defensive line some help, with Marrett and Ramczyk serving as low-earning rookies. I expect Tijuana is also shopping linebackers since Tee is upgradable and Cook is likely to be called up this off-season or next. 

Shopping List: LB, DE/DT, TE.

-

With all of that in mind, the part that you clicked on this article for as finally arrived: the mock draft.

Round 1
1. NOR Norfolk Seawolves – Jay Cue Jr. (RB)
This is one of their two running back waiver pick-ups and a fairly well-known user around the site. This user, Opera_Phantom has been around the site for a bit and their last player, Jay Cue, had a pretty good career with the Arizona Outlaws despite few playoff appearances. Having recreated at the deadline and holding a site job on the Player Progression team and having a pretty good previous player are all things that 1 OA typically is in sim leagues. This seems like a very good pick here.
2. BBB Bondi Beach Buccaneers – Marcus Jones (LB)
The Bondi Beach Buccaneers need a little of everything, so where do they start? With a proven ISFL player in Drizzy. He plays a lot of defensive players and he’s already close to 100 TPE. I think this is the kind of stability that the Buccaneers need, which frankly is any stability.
3. LON London Royals – Quinton Crash (WR)
I almost put London’s waiver period wide receiver, AJ Tirrell, here. Unfortunately, Tirrell is still listed at 56 TPE and hasn’t visited the site since March 5th. For wide receivers, it comes down to Quinton Crash and Janis Lux. Of the two, Crash is the one that already has an ISFL pedigree, with hihihi_62 having had a DSFL award-winning cornerback the last time around.
4. MIN Minnesota Grey Ducks - Rejoignez LOrdreSombre (RB)
With the position in need, site presence, and waiver tenure, I think the Grey Ducks take Bayley’s new player here. Considering the Chicago connection as well just makes it more likely. So far, this is the pick I’m most confident about.
5. TIJ Tijuana Luchadores – Buffalo Hunter (TE)
Tijuana is a hard one to read. I think their priority here is at tight end since that’s the clearest position of need. I could also see them maybe taking DE Malik F. Doom here as a supplement to Marrett and Ramcyzk, but I think they’ll aim for Buffalo Hunter. BOOM is a site OG; their first player J.D. Boom is a member of the S3 class and won the S4 Ultimus with the Orange County Otters. Buffalo Hunter is their first player since 2017, and I think they’re bound for good things.
6. POR Portland Pythons – Gronku Muerto (TE)
As a waiver prospect and a GM in the SHL, Kez has to be a high-priority target for the Pythons. He’s a great dude, and I think the Pythons have a good pick in taking him here.
7. KCC Kansas City Coyotes – Malik F. Doom (DE)
Doom is totally the guy they want. If he’s still on the board here, they take him, no doubts. That said, DTs and DEs are in demand and Malik F. Doom is a good one. They can’t afford to let him fall past this pick, assuming he’s not snapped up by another team.
8. DAL Dallas Birddogs – Sam Squanch (LB)
The Birddogs have a dilemma and the obvious answer for this pick is Sam Squanch. The first-gen ISFL player is a great fit and played very well in the few games he appeared in after the deadline. Getting Squanch to fall is obviously not guaranteed; Eric’s an amazing dude to talk to, and LB is a need for a lot of teams. There’s no way he makes it past 8 OA if he’s still here.

Round 2
1. NOR Norfolk Seawolves – Chevvy Bronko (TE)
In keeping with Norfolk’s love of strange names, needs for receivers, and the trend of keeping waiver acquisitions, I think Bronko going to Norfolk here is an easy choice. No need to buck that trend.
2. BBB Bondi Beach Buccaneers – Beau Novak (TE)
This works out really well for the Buccaneers. I think with as new as Kevin5010 is to sim leagues in general, there might be some pause given on taking him 2nd OA given the creek the Buccaneers are up without a paddle, but no hesitation at 10th. He’s a good user in the interactions I’ve had with him with a lot of enthusiasm for the league. BBB picked him up after the trade deadline as a waiver player, so they’ve had time to get to know each other, and I think this would work out well here.
3. LON London Royals - Tre’Mendus Johnson (LB)
It seems to me like London would look to replace Sarrasin and supplement Cheeks here. They already took Crash in the first round, so WR is filled. They might choose to take another receiver here instead, but that makes less sense given the relatively smaller LB pool and relatively higher demand.
4. MIN Minnesota Grey Ducks – Lip Gallagher (CB)
Gallagher is one of my guys in St. Louis, so it makes a lot of sense that he’d go here, with my Co-GM having talked them up a lot. They picked him up on waivers and he’s doing pretty well so far. CB is a position of need for the Grey Ducks, for sure, so I think they’ll be happy to keep Fever at this spot. It’s also a bit funny ‘cause Fever’s SHL player named Gallagher just retired from the Minnesota Monarchs.
5. TIJ Tijuana Luchadores – Will “Brick Wall” Smyth (DT)
Given the need for defensive linemen that the Luchadores could be grappling with, it makes sense that they’ll be looking for a player to fill the gaps.
6. POR Portland Pythons – Janis Lux (WR)
I think the Pythons take their other waiver pick up receiver here, with Janis Lux. I think with the wide receivers in this class, it’s a lucky pick, too. I weighed Lux very carefully against Crash for London for the first round. Ultimately, it’ll probably come down to scouting.
7. KCC Kansas City Coyotes – Amabacus Fitted (DE)
If I’m honest, I think most of KCC’s preferred choices have already been taken here or declared intent to go inactive. So, let me tell you why they should pick Fitted. Firstly, they’ll need a defensive lineman, which Fitted is. Secondly, their other defensive lineman is Prof. Godfrey Gravity, whose user z0rem came through the Carolina Kraken in the SMJHL and was teammates with Fitted. Thirdly, everyone needs the kind of enthusiasm that Fitted can bring to an environment. Pick Fitted.
8. DAL Dallas Birddogs – Joey Marston (TE)
Is this wishful thinking? Possibly. Is it a bit petty the way I’ve shuffled picks around to make this happen? More than likely, yeah. Did I write this whole piece just to get to this point, so I could publicly say that this is the team and the pick where I want to go? Absolutely. Getting to talk to all of the scouts that I have has been a pleasure, but I've really enjoyed my time in Dallas and I know and really enjoy getting to play with a lot of the people there. Given the choice, I'd like to stay.

---

And that’s it. That’s the post. Best of luck to everyone looking to be drafted in both the ISFL and DSFL drafts!

Quote:3765 Words

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - Mooty99 - 03-14-2021

ISFL GMs furiously reading this after having to do mocks again

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - BOOM™ - 03-14-2021

Flattered but way too high for my guy IMHO. Great read though and appreciate the research into team needs and players that they will be replacing etc. Great work.

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - Asked Madden - 03-14-2021

Imagine wanting to play for the most toxic team in the DSFL SMH

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - ZootTX - 03-14-2021

That's only because you fart in the locker room Madden

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - Capt_Blitzkrieg - 03-14-2021

(03-14-2021, 08:40 AM)ZootTX Wrote: That's only because you fart in the locker room Madden

Is that what that is? I swear, between STL and DAL I should invest in Febreeze.

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - cpetrella - 03-14-2021

Fitted Cuddles gonna be mr irrelevant

RE: The S28 DSFL Mock Draft From a Newish Perspective - Capt_Blitzkrieg - 03-14-2021

(03-14-2021, 09:39 AM)cpetrella Wrote: Fitted Cuddles gonna be mr irrelevant
[Image: 2706aabf9ec6c165fbd6b175ae05ba30ee70c312.gif]